DLO/Mozgov Traded to Nets for #27 Pick & Brook Lopez
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Cigadrop wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
the whole "leader" thing got blown out of proportion. He's not a vocal leader yet we tried to turn him into one and at an extremely young age at that, so of course he failed miserably at it. I think Brooklyn will be smart and tell him to lead by example and just enjoy playing again.

I do understand what Magic is saying, he just probably shouldn't have said it in public. We need a "draw", code for "leader". No free agents were going to join us because we had DLo. Magic is hoping Lonzo, who is more natural at getting other guys involved, will be on display this season for the rest of the league, then when free agency hits, players will say, "I want to play with THAT guy". Lonzo will be more of a "Steve Nash got me this big contract" type guy than DLo will ever be. It's unfortunate we ever expected DLo to become that type player, it's just not his style.

And quite frankly, I can live with that. But if that's your strategy, the first thing you DON'T want to do is tell everyone how much you despise the kid.

Oh please. Magic told D'slo that he needed him to be a leader right after the all star break. That was made public. And Russell failed miserably. Didn't show any signs of being a leader whatsoever. He was just going through the motions. Didn't lead by example either. I remember he had 2 back to back games against Detroit and NY where he scored 3 points and 5 points.

Yep, he either needed to be a leader, or he had to go. Couldn't just be a good player.

Ingram, Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac? They don't need to be leaders.

Cuz only PGs are leaders. Cuz it's 1987.

Well apperently in workouts they all gravitate to Ingram now according to one of those dudes on espn radio . That said he would notice this after the pre draft workouts when the team would come out after.. think it was Ireland or truddell

Last edited by Hydro21 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

sigh

Last edited by silkwilkes on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

I feel like there are two sides to this. One side ) We can't compete with GSW or CLE, it's pointless to acquire talent and try to win now, so develop the young core and we can contend sometime in the next decade. Other side ) We just landed an Allstar center to pair with an Allstar wing and Zo is the next Laker great. I get it.

There were red flags all over DLO. His knees. His attitude. You really had to overlook all of that.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
The NETS are never a better situation lol. That's like going to the prime Clippers.

The Nets are absolutely a better situation for him. We're in dangerous territory with the whole Lakers exceptionalism mentality that we seem to have. All of the players who've made the Lakers brand what it is are retired. The greatest owner in NBA history is dead. The HOF coaches are gone. The HOF Front Office guy wasn't welcome back.

Jeanie Buss - Zero success as an owner
Magic Johnson - Zero experience as an NBA decision-maker
Rob Pelinka - Zero experience as an NBA decision-maker
Luke Walton - One 26 win season under his belt
The Roster - 3 All-Star appearances combined, with 2 of them going to a washed up Luol Deng

That's who we are right now and we're depending on unproven people from top to bottom to lead us to the promised land, from players all the way up to ownership.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Here is where we start. With an owner who desperately wants to win, to a President who was the best PG in NBA history and bleeds purple and gold and a GM who knows every agent and as a former agent himself knows how to sell players. I'll ride with that and let the chips fall where they may.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
The NETS are never a better situation lol. That's like going to the prime Clippers.

The Nets are absolutely a better situation for him. We're in dangerous territory with the whole Lakers exceptionalism mentality that we seem to have. All of the players who've made the Lakers brand what it is are retired. The greatest owner in NBA history is dead. The HOF coaches are gone. The HOF Front Office guy wasn't welcome back.

The Roster - 3 All-Star appearances combined, with 2 of them going to a washed up Luol Deng

That's who we are right now and we're depending on unproven people from top to bottom to lead us to the promised land, from players all the way up to ownership.

I see your point, but to be fair Jeanie from a FO stand point Magic as a player and Luke as a player and AC combined still have alot of championship pedegree than The Nets and know what it takes to win it all.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
cigadrop1 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Lmao. Yet here you are again. Just like that. If it's the worst forum, be gone homie.

Just came back to tell you tards not to go against the SS commander or he'll toss you. He's a sensitive little pus*y.

Deu.ce have you considered a different forum? It never ends well for you here.

If Omar and GT were SS commanders. They wouldn't allow you to return to the site again and again under a new screen name.
The victim card is never a good look on LG.

As someone who has disagreed with GT and Omar on a ton of things through the years. I find it hard to sympathize. You don't get banned for opinions on LG. You can get ridiculed for them. But not banned. It's when you post the same thing over and over again and don't acknowledge other people's rebuttals. That's when a timeout comes.

In general, arguments should start off big picture. And after a back and forth. Nuances of arguments should be argued until there is nothing left to say.

For example, what is the difference in value between Mozgov's production and long contract vs. Lopez's shorter contract and greater production?
Is Russell's value greater or less than that difference? I think the correct answer is, time will tell. How much better does DLO get? How good of a roster can we build in 2018?
That's a debate worth having. Moreso than cliches about leadership and personal attacks filled with harsh replies and hurt feelings.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

No chance GT. The Nets are hot steaming garbage from top to bottom.

It is a perfect fit for DLO because they're not about winning and DLO can just focus on himself.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
sigh

Nothing you really said in that post was eye opening or new to be honest. Not exactly sure why you edited it out.

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm seriously not coming at you or your sources. All I'm saying is the info wasn't specific and nothing was new that others haven't deduced or said already.

I wonder if it'll ever come out, but I'm curious what exactly this dude did/was doing that allegedly pissed off so many people. I wonder his side of the story too.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

It is a perfect fit for DLO because they're not about winning and DLO can just focus on himself.

The Lakers were the team blatantly tanking last season.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
almost time to move on???

Yeah it's like your hot ex girlfriend that you can't let go of

Last edited by KOBE WAN on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

I agree with you. I wish the kid well. But he's all about himself. A malcontent, horrible attitude, late to meetings, couldn't take criticism. The kid feels entitled and has to grow up. Maybe Brooklyn will humble him and make him work and earn everything he does on the court.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

This is a totally different Nets organization with what seems to be a great GM, great coach and as a New Yorker I can say great facilities with a great partnership with one of the best medical practices in the world in HSS. One could argue they played better basketball than the Lakers last year too.

The Lakers new practice facility hopefully tops what the Nets have. It's brand new and gorgeous.

Last edited by akk7 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

De.uce. Watch how I disagree with GT and nobody grabs their ball and runs home.

Now do Brooklyn.

Prokhorov =
Marks= built a 20 win team for 2016-2017 season with no lotto pick
Atkinson= was on Knicks coaching staff for 4 years. Never had Luke's success as an assistant (or interim head coach)
Roster= no allstar appearances

I'm only replying cause nobody talks (bleep) on my Lakers! NO ONE!

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

Without PG13, I'm actually curious who would end up with the better record, is or the Nets (the dreamer in me is hoping playoff spot for us but realistically lottery without a pick)
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Now do Brooklyn.

Prokhorov =
Atkinson= was on Knicks coaching staff for 4 years. Never had Luke's success as an assistant (or interim head coach)

Because he was an assistant for a horrible Knicks team. If he were an assistant on GS he would have had the same success, no?
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Now do Brooklyn.

Prokhorov =

This is such a disingenuous post man.

I wish the dude the best. I just find it funny the people that hated him the most come into certain threads to tell people to move on etc. The irony.

I also appreciated the people who openly hated the guy rather than pretend to be impartial in order to throw obvious shade.

This guy really split an entire fanbase .
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Without PG13, I'm actually curious who would end up with the better record, is or the Nets (the dreamer in me is hoping playoff spot for us but realistically lottery without a pick)

Nets have lost their 1st (Lopez) and 2nd (Bogdonovic) leading scorers from last season. That's 34 PPG gone from a team that put up 105 a game (Top 12). But it was their defense that let them down last year. 112 points given up a game (29th in league).

I guess you can argue Mozgov > Lopez defensively. And DLO > than Bogdonovic defensively. But I wouldn't hang my hat on that argument.
Since Joe Johnson and Derron Williams left. They've won 41 out of 164 games the last 2 seasons.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

MWP loves the kid. I remember his Insta video after DLo made the winning shot in SL too.

Quote:
@MettaWorldPeace
@BrooklynNets - 8th seed next year

akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Now do Brooklyn.

Prokhorov =

Prokhorov = No argument
Marks = Their best player missed most of the season. Again, 13-23 (.361) w/Lin. Signed Lin to a good, cheap deal, drafted LeVert, and signed a couple of contributors off of the trash heap. And now Russell.
Atkinson = Way more accomplished than Luke. Possibly the most well regarded player development coach in the NBA. Did a ton to help Horford, Millsap, and many others w/their game.
Roster = No argument, although I was trying to illustrate that we're not "all about wins" either.

Not defending Prok and I could totally be wrong about him, but for a billionaire he showed a lot of humility. After he made the Nets go all in to win ASAP last year he wrote an open letter talking about he learned from his last mistakes and he tried running the team like his previous businesses (which he added were quite successful ). He further said he's going to do it the right way and he knows it will take patience. Marks has this letter framed in his office. He also was after Marks constantly but Marks kept refusing to take the job until Prok vowed to be patient. Not like I know any billionaires, but this seems out the norm.

Anyway he's supposedly never at the games or involved even when he went all in during the 2013-2014 season
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Julius Randle, Brandon Ingram and Larry Nance, Jr. played 108 minutes across 20 games this season — not a huge sample, but not quite nothing, either. By pure net rating, they were the second worst lineup in the league (-28.3 points per 100 possessions), trailing an especially grim configuration of Sacramento Kings.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nba-haters-ball/?addata=espn:nba:index
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Now do Brooklyn.

Prokhorov =

Prokhorov = No argument
Marks = Their best player missed most of the season. Again, 13-23 (.361) w/Lin. Signed Lin to a good, cheap deal, drafted LeVert, and signed a couple of contributors off of the trash heap. And now Russell.
Atkinson = Way more accomplished than Luke. Possibly the most well regarded player development coach in the NBA. Did a ton to help Horford, Millsap, and many others w/their game.
Roster = No argument, although I was trying to illustrate that we're not "all about wins" either.

We're on the same page. As currently constructed. Neither team should expect a league average record. So we're debating different degrees of awful.

Atkinson vs. Luke is a good debate to have.
Sure Atkinson is better at player development. In terms of other requirements for a head coach I prefer Luke. Since he did have a better record as a head coach last season ( we had injuries too). And he coached half the season for the best regular season team ever.
It's close. But honestly I prefer Luke. I think I would, even if I didn't bleed purple and gold.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

The Nets have a better GM and a better coach than we do. They inherited possibly the worst mess in NBA history, with almost no talent on the roster and Boston owning their picks for years to come. They've done the best they can with it. Heck, they were 13-23 (.361) when Jeremy Lin played.

The Lakers may be all about winning but they haven't won more than 27 games in 5 years.

I COMPLETELY disagree with you on all counts. Not a better GM and definitely not a better coach.

I live in NYC. They're not even an afterthought lol.

It's just a completely different set of expectations... as in the Nets have none.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Billy King put Nets in a terrible situation, but Marks has done a good job given what he had to work with as GT said. Being active in tank thread last year, got the feeling they were competitive when Lin was fit as well. And their fans seem upbeat about new management. From realgm

Quote:
Don't let our record fool you. This team plays hard every night. Never in a season where we won only 20 games did I enjoy watching a team more than this, the players are easy to root for. Every game was fun to watch and competitive aside from some games where we were totally outmatched. We also had plenty of games that we had no business winning but did (like versus the Clippers in December). You'll see

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:
cigadrop1 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Lmao. Yet here you are again. Just like that. If it's the worst forum, be gone homie.

Just came back to tell you tards not to go against the SS commander or he'll toss you. He's a sensitive little pus*y.

Deu.ce have you considered a different forum? It never ends well for you here.

If Omar and GT were SS commanders. They wouldn't allow you to return to the site again and again under a new screen name.
The victim card is never a good look on LG.

As someone who has disagreed with GT and Omar on a ton of things through the years. I find it hard to sympathize. You don't get banned for opinions on LG. You can get ridiculed for them. But not banned. It's when you post the same thing over and over again and don't acknowledge other people's rebuttals. That's when a timeout comes.

In general, arguments should start off big picture. And after a back and forth. Nuances of arguments should be argued until there is nothing left to say.

For example, what is the difference in value between Mozgov's production and long contract vs. Lopez's shorter contract and greater production?
Is Russell's value greater or less than that difference? I think the correct answer is, time will tell. How much better does DLO get? How good of a roster can we build in 2018?
That's a debate worth having. Moreso than cliches about leadership and personal attacks filled with harsh replies and hurt feelings.

Notice how when he's angry he drops the fake little syntax and spelling and grammar errors. Doose is a character he plays here because he doesn't have the social skills to get anyone to talk to him in real life.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

You don't want to know how Prok made his money... like any billionaire from Russia. That doesn't win you credibility points.

They have to be patient because they have no chance at getting UFAs. None. They have to wait on a golden generation of young players... which won't start for a bit since they traded the #1 pick this year to Boston.

They're 5 years away from even dreaming about being respectable if they get lucky no less.

What it will allow is for DLO to play with little to no pressure and a lot of leeway. It's a good situation for him if he takes advantage. He won't have much help though. Lin and B------ovich are the remaining top contributors. He will need to be a score-first guard in that lineup, which will suit him well.

In the end, I don't think the pressure and the expectations (realistic or not) on the Lakers is something that would work well with 99% of rookies anyhow. So it's not really a knock on him there. Wasn't ready for it. I think he will be an AS in the Eastern Conf for sure at some point.

Last edited by silkwilkes on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 98 of 100
Jump to: