DLO/Mozgov Traded to Nets for #27 Pick & Brook Lopez
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Billy King put Nets in a terrible situation, but Marks has done a good job given what he had to work with as GT said. Being active in tank thread last year, got the feeling they were competitive when Lin was fit as well. And their fans seem upbeat about new management. From realgm

Quote:
Don't let our record fool you. This team plays hard every night. Never in a season where we won only 20 games did I enjoy watching a team more than this, the players are easy to root for. Every game was fun to watch and competitive aside from some games where we were totally outmatched. We also had plenty of games that we had no business winning but did (like versus the Clippers in December). You'll see

Code for...we're a (bleep) team.

The list of accomplishments for Marks in Brooklyn is pretty short. I'm trying to read up on it now. Who knows if trading Bogdonovic for Jarret Allen (22nd pick) works out.
Since going to Washington Bog has been shooting 39% from 3.
You know Brooklyn is still paying for a stretched Derron Williams contract till 2020? Talk about wasting salary. And if Allen outperforms Mozgov in the next year or 2. That Moz contract will look even worse.
But I get the other sides point. At least Marks has a resume as GM (albeit it short and not filled with alot of success). Pelinka is very much a blank slate.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

The nets had no incentives to tank last year but they still ended up with the worst record in the league. Also Brook Lopez was their best player not Jeremy Lin. Comparing the Nets organization to the Lakers organization smh is a new low that I wasn't expecting, no way the nets are a better situation than the Lakers. The kid made too many mistakes with this being the last straw

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Notice how when he's angry he drops the fake little syntax and spelling and grammar errors. that guy is a character he plays here because he doesn't have the social skills to get anyone to talk to him in real life.

So true.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

When the nets get defended, you know you're in bizarro world.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

They used to have the "Death Penalty" for college football...no scholarships for 4 years...and what they did is the NBA equivalent of that.

irrelevant to the point, but the "Death Penalty" is when the NCAA actually bans a program from competing for at least one academic year....SMU Football in 1987.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

My prediction is that Russell will play better on the Nets. That being said I think it was probably the best for both parties that they parted. Russell finally grows up and has a chip on his shoulder, something he lacked in his play here.
On the other hand, I think Lonzo will take command of the Lakers offense that Russell could never get going in his time here. Both will flourish in their environments. Win-win.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

BKNs for real. GT is right.

This is what Woj had to say:
Now, said Woj, it’s up to Atkinson, whose development work is getting recognized around the league.

“I think Brooklyn ... the environment is just going to be basketball,” Woj added, saying that “the coaching, I think Kenny Atkinson, for him” will be crucial.

“Players get better under him. I thought the group in Brooklyn played hard there all year. He's gonna get up into D'Angelo. I think [Russell] may look back on this day and say this was a good day for his career.”

Woj also noted that Atkinson is “the first development coach to break out of that mold to become a head coach. There's never been a guy, a development guy as a head coach.”

Russell’s problem in L.A., Woj said, was L.A.

“I think for him getting away from L.A. --L.A. is a lot to handle when you're 19 years old, and the Lakers — It's hard when you're 18, 19, 20 years old being there.”

And Jonathan Givony from Draft Express

“I am very excited to have D'Angelo Russell 25 minutes walking distance from my house. I went to a lot of Nets games last year. I actually enjoyed watching them because they played really hard and they had principles, they had a system, they were competitive. They were in games.”

The two reserved their highest praise for Marks. Woj said the Nets had been trying to move Lopez for a while without any luck.

“[They] had to get something for him going into the last year of his deal,” Woj said. “They tried at the trade deadline. They tried earlier. They had to flip his contract now as an expiring, now when it had value.

“For the Nets to get D'Angelo Russell ... “ he concluded, his voice trailing off, as if in astonishment.

“I am very very impressed by the job Sean Marks has done so far,” he added. “I mean if you look at what he inherited, when he came in, which was one of the worst roster situations, I can recall in 10 to 15 years to actually having some semblance of optimism now. There's some things to look forward to.”
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Sean Marks turned

Thaddeus Young - > Caris LeVert
Brook Lopez and 27th pick -> DLo and Mozgov
Bojan Bogdanovic - > Jarrett Allen
57th pick and cash -> 42nd pick -> Isaiah Whitehead

he also picked undrafted Yogi Ferrel although Nets ultimately released him and he blew up in Dallas
He picked Sean Kilpatrick from DLeague

All of this in about a year and half. He completely turned over the roster so that only two players (Holls-Jefferson and Lopez) remained from previous regime but the team played super hard and together
HartAttack
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:
Sean Marks turned

he also picked undrafted Yogi Ferrel although Nets ultimately released him and he blew up in Dallas

All of this in about a year and half. He completely turned over the roster so that only two players (Holls-Jefferson and Lopez) remained from previous regime but the team played super hard and together

He traded average NBA vets, for youngsters who he can only hope can turn into average NBA players of the guys they replaced. I don't see much accomplishment in that.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:
cigadrop1 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Lmao. Yet here you are again. Just like that. If it's the worst forum, be gone homie.

Just came back to tell you tards not to go against the SS commander or he'll toss you. He's a sensitive little pus*y.

Deu.ce have you considered a different forum? It never ends well for you here.

If Omar and GT were SS commanders. They wouldn't allow you to return to the site again and again under a new screen name.
The victim card is never a good look on LG.

As someone who has disagreed with GT and Omar on a ton of things through the years. I find it hard to sympathize. You don't get banned for opinions on LG. You can get ridiculed for them. But not banned. It's when you post the same thing over and over again and don't acknowledge other people's rebuttals. That's when a timeout comes.

In general, arguments should start off big picture. And after a back and forth. Nuances of arguments should be argued until there is nothing left to say.

For example, what is the difference in value between Mozgov's production and long contract vs. Lopez's shorter contract and greater production?
Is Russell's value greater or less than that difference? I think the correct answer is, time will tell. How much better does DLO get? How good of a roster can we build in 2018?
That's a debate worth having. Moreso than cliches about leadership and personal attacks filled with harsh replies and hurt feelings.

Notice how when he's angry he drops the fake little syntax and spelling and grammar errors. that guy is a character he plays here because he doesn't have the social skills to get anyone to talk to him in real life.
I was wondering why Kobe 2.0 seemed so different all of a sudden
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:

so suddenly, the Lakers are the worst team in the NBA, from the front office, to the coaching staff, down to the players... and the Nets are suddenly the best... all because Russell was traded.

"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject:

So LA is a lot to handle, but NYC isnt?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
You don't want to know how Prok made his money... like any billionaire from Russia. That doesn't win you credibility points.

They have to be patient because they have no chance at getting UFAs. None. They have to wait on a golden generation of young players... which won't start for a bit since they traded the #1 pick this year to Boston.

They're 5 years away from even dreaming about being respectable if they get lucky no less.

What it will allow is for DLO to play with little to no pressure and a lot of leeway. It's a good situation for him if he takes advantage. He won't have much help though. Lin and B------ovich are the remaining top contributors. He will need to be a score-first guard in that lineup, which will suit him well.

In the end, I don't think the pressure and the expectations (realistic or not) on the Lakers is something that would work well with 99% of rookies anyhow. So it's not really a knock on him there. Wasn't ready for it. I think he will be an AS in the Eastern Conf for sure at some point.

Good stuff as always Silk.

I don't live in NYC, but love to go there. My sense when I am there is much like what you are saying, the Nets are the Clippers, no matter what they do or don't do, 95% of the basketball fans are into the Knicks anyway.

Very similar to here in Los Angeles in that way.

I agree with you that it is a perfect situation for DLO to change his perception because there will be no pressure and he can just gun a lot of shots at a low percentage and score a lot.

They won't win, but I never got the impression that DLO was about winning anyway.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
For an immature lockerrom cancer, Dlo gave some pretty well-articulated and mature answers.

I don't think he was a locker room cancer, but certainly struggled with maturity issues.

This trade was likely a wake up call for him and a bit of a slap in the face. He now has the opportunity to prove the Lakers and his critics wrong by playing with a chip on his shoulder.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
The NETS are never a better situation lol. That's like going to the prime Clippers.

The Nets are absolutely a better situation for him. We're in dangerous territory with the whole Lakers exceptionalism mentality that we seem to have. All of the players who've made the Lakers brand what it is are retired. The greatest owner in NBA history is dead. The HOF coaches are gone. The HOF Front Office guy wasn't welcome back.

Jeanie Buss - Zero success as an owner
Magic Johnson - Zero experience as an NBA decision-maker
Rob Pelinka - Zero experience as an NBA decision-maker
Luke Walton - One 26 win season under his belt
The Roster - 3 All-Star appearances combined, with 2 of them going to a washed up Luol Deng

That's who we are right now and we're depending on unproven people from top to bottom to lead us to the promised land, from players all the way up to ownership.

This unproven talent is a breath of fresh air. It's a new look. One I believe will build a new culture, a winning culture, something the Lakers have been lacking.

I like Ball's attitude. He has the markings of a leader. Our team, other than Randel, has a makeup that will follow.

I say other than Randel because he seems to want to be The Man. Wants the Lakers to be HIS team. Could be, hope I am, wrong.

That said, IMO Brooklyn is a better fit for DLO. I would have liked to have seen him go to a contender but that's really a pipe dream.

GOOD LUCK D'Angelo Russell.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
The NETS are never a better situation lol. That's like going to the prime Clippers.

The Nets are absolutely a better situation for him. We're in dangerous territory with the whole Lakers exceptionalism mentality that we seem to have. All of the players who've made the Lakers brand what it is are retired. The greatest owner in NBA history is dead. The HOF coaches are gone. The HOF Front Office guy wasn't welcome back.

The Roster - 3 All-Star appearances combined, with 2 of them going to a washed up Luol Deng

That's who we are right now and we're depending on unproven people from top to bottom to lead us to the promised land, from players all the way up to ownership.

Well look at the positives. They just hired Gunnar Peterson as Strength and Conditioning Coach. He helped the Kardashians; Khloe no longer beaches herself.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

I always thought that it would be difficult for them to take a different path than the Lakers exceptionalism mentality since the two highest people on the org chart are Jeanie and Magic who lack life experiences in basketball outside of the Lakers. Walton and Pelinka have had life experiences in basketball outside of the Lakers organization, but they aren't the ultimate decision makers.

None of the Buss children went off into the wilderness to create their own fortunes. Magic never went to learn the FO ropes doing grunt work for another team. Without their linkages to the Lakers past, neither Jeanie or Magic would have the positions that they have.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

Until the FO fails I'll be in a wait and see mode. I like what Magic and Pelinka have done so far. I liken it to Obama taking over for Bush, they inherited a mess. It's not going to change overnight. Give them a chance. Jim was given one, why not Magic?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

I always thought that it would be difficult for them to take a different path than the Lakers exceptionalism mentality since the two highest people on the org chart are Jeanie and Magic who lack life experiences in basketball outside of the Lakers. Walton and Pelinka have had life experiences in basketball outside of the Lakers organization, but they aren't the ultimate decision makers.

None of the Buss children went off into the wilderness to create their own fortunes. Magic never went to learn the FO ropes doing grunt work for another team. Without their linkages to the Lakers past, neither Jeanie or Magic would have the positions that they have.

Yeah, right on the money. Let's hope it works out next summer, but this FO was never going to meticulously cultivate a team of home grown talent over the course of many years.

Phil's struggles in NY as an inexperienced FO executive weren't enough to dissuade Jeanie from appointing Magic as head of basketball operations. If Jerry West would have been allowed to come back in an advisory role, then I could give them (Jeanie & Magic) credit for recognizing the difficulty of the task they were undertaking and their complete lack of experience in dealing with a less than favorable situation.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Until the FO fails I'll be in a wait and see mode. I like what Magic and Pelinka have done so far. I liken it to Obama taking over for Bush, they inherited a mess. It's not going to change overnight. Give them a chance. Jim was given one, why not Magic?

I keep thinking of Phil's struggles in NY.

Phil might be the closest fit for Magic when comparing FO executives across the NBA. Their personalities are quite different, but other factors are much the same.

* Both have a high degree of self confidence

* Both lacked experience working in a FO

* Both lacked success in less than favorable situations (basketball)

* Both used their past success in other aspects of basketball to vault to their current positions

etc

Perhaps Magic will beat the odds, but I remain skeptical that he can return the Lakers to sustained prominence.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Phil might be the closest fit for Magic when comparing FO executives across the NBA. Their personalities are quite different, but other factors are much the same.

* Both used their past success in other aspects of basketball to vault to their current positions

etc

Perhaps Magic will beat the odds, but I remain skeptical that he can return the Lakers to sustained prominence.

Phil's struggles in NY stem from his refusal to eject the triangle. He's unable to co-exist with his star players, Porzingis and Anthony. IMO Jackson is in NY for a check. The best thing Jim did was not hiring him for a FO job. It may have been out of dislike, not business, but it turned out to be a good decision.

I'm fairly sure Jeannie learned something from the Jim debacle. I think we'll be OK. I'm willing to wait and see.

Also, I believe Magic still has a few cards he hasn't played. I sense a rush to judgment by some fans.

Judging by the moves Magic's made so far I think we're headed in the right direction.

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have to keep learning their lesson about rebuilding in the modern NBA until it sinks in. So if we see this cycle again, and again, and again, we will - until the team realizes that players can build their brand WHEREVER THEY WANT in the year 2017.

I'm along for the ride and interested in what the front office is doing, but I am much less optimistic.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

etc

Phil's struggles in NY stem from his refusal to eject the triangle. He's unable to co-exist with his star players, Porzingis and Anthony. IMO Jackson is in NY for a check. The best thing Jim did was not hiring him for a FO job. It may have been out of dislike, not business, but it turned out to be a good decision.

I'm fairly sure Jeannie learned something from the Jim debacle. I think we'll be OK. I'm willing to wait and see.

Also, I believe Magic still has a few cards he hasn't played. I sense a rush to judgment by some fans.

Judging by the moves Magic's made so far I think we're headed in the right direction.

Dolan could fire Phil, but that would just bring back more of the pressure on the owner. He doesn't want that, so keeping Phil around helps deflect some of the ire toward the GM. If Phil fails it will be all on him since he got 5 years to improve the team.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

HartAttack wrote:
ice_cold wrote:
Sean Marks turned

He traded average NBA vets, for youngsters who he can only hope can turn into average NBA players of the guys they replaced. I don't see much accomplishment in that.

I guess it could seem like that ..

But fielding a team that contains some decent role players and even a few players with some seriously high upside potential when you are the equivalent of a carpet bombed field of grass with no sign of rain to come, and in fact you know that rain (draft picks or most likely any good FAs) won't come for three years - in those circumstances what Marks has achieved is kind of remarkable
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 99 of 100
Jump to: