Netflix's House of Cards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

Finally finished. Enjoyable season, however I think they've reached a point where there are just too too many people being manipulated by the Underwoods. But, then again, I think they played it well by bringing back so people from the past that they back stabbed or black mailed, who will now go on record against them.

Anyone else think the NY Governor was poorly cast? He sounds like such a bro and looks way too young, imo.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Finally finished. Enjoyable season, however I think they've reached a point where there are just too too many people being manipulated by the Underwoods. But, then again, I think they played it well by bringing back so people from the past that they back stabbed or black mailed, who will now go on record against them.

Anyone else think the NY Governor was poorly cast? He sounds like such a bro and looks way too young, imo.

Totally agree about the miscast. Way too young and like you said he sounds like a bro. He was better in The Killing.

Reason he sounds like a bro is because he isn't American. They couldn't find anyone better? I have to believe actors would love to star in this show. Neve Campbell was good.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Finished the season last night.

- I agree with the above. Joel Kinnaman was especially dreadful in his first few scenes as Conway, particularly that speech he had outside. He improved somewhat in latter episodes, but that didn't change the fact that he was miscast. I don't know what they were thinking. Everything they say about him (that he's young, hip, energetic, cool, etc.) doesn't make sense when you actually watch him. He's stiff, he's unpresidential, he doesn't talk and walk like a president.

- I loved when Frank told Doug to do something else and basically leave him alone during that crisis. I'm just sick of Doug. I like the idea behind the character, but that doesn't mean that he should be in almost every freaking scene and that everyone in government, except Frank and Claire, submits to him.

- Speaking of Doug, his relationship with that widow is really, really creepy, from both sides. Why is she hanging out with him? Will she leave him if someone gives her more money? Why the heck does he keep asking her about her dead husband? I know he feels guilty about the whole thing, but stop talking about him.

- I can't help but laugh every time Durant appears. They manipulate her during the convention, she panics when the reporter publishes that article, Claire closes the deal with Petrov, Frank declares war and doesn't even bother to talk to her about it, etc.

- I was waiting for someone to tell Yates that he hangs around the First Lady way too much, and someone finally did.

- Neve Campbell is HOT. I forgot she even existed. I like how they introduced her conservatively, and she gradually wore more provocative clothes. There was a sequence of scenes in the middle of the season where she appeared everywhere at the same time, from Florida to Washington to everywhere else. Which is the same problem with Doug. He's everywhere all the time. It's just not possible.

- I know this is House of Cards, so I shouldn't expect it to be realistic in any way, but having the First Lady negotiate with a terrorist and orchestrating that whole video thing, while not having one (bleep) Arab translator in the room, was so stupid.

- But I did love her exchange with that guy about his motivations. When he says that they wanted to insult him by having a woman sitting across from him, she counters that he should stop acting like some religious fundamentalist and that she knows that he doesn't care about Islam and that his public persona is just a way to motivate the soldiers. That's a great description of the ISIS leaders, as they are mostly former Baathists and secular. But he had a good counter as well.

- With Trump's recent rise, the show doesn't seem as outrageous as it did before. It seems kinda lame, at times.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Yeah them not having an arab translator was kinda silly
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Totally agree about the miscast. Way too young and like you said he sounds like a bro. He was better in The Killing.

Reason he sounds like a bro is because he isn't American. They couldn't find anyone better? I have to believe actors would love to star in this show. Neve Campbell was good.

Totally agree. He's not a bad actor, but they should've gone a different path. Noone would believe the US would have such a young and bro president.

His wife is super hot though. Perfect for a young first lady.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject:

Thoughts on whether Frank staged the kidnapping? And did anyone else notice Claire broke the fourth wall along with Frank in that final scene? Chilling. Robin Wright ---- soooooooooooo hot.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject:

What the F was that?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
What the F was that?

I'm only 7 episodes in and think it's definitely jumped the shark. They've seemed to have gone the way of Law and Order in their "ripped from the headlines" plots. Need to go back to being a character driven show.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
What the F was that?

I'm only 7 episodes in and think it's definitely jumped the shark. They've seemed to have gone the way of Law and Order in their "ripped from the headlines" plots. Need to go back to being a character driven show.

If you think the first 7 episodes were jumping the shark, you should see what happens in the last 3 or so episodes of the season.

SPOILER BELOW:

I actually think the uncertainty regarding the election was somewhat intriguing, and the character of Will Conway finally made some sense. That took about 9 episodes of the season. ...And then, Conway disappeared and the Underwoods started killing people left and right, and the show became an even bigger joke than it already was.

This show MUST end next year. I might stick around if I know it's the last season.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

Show was better when he wasnt president
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I stopped watching some seasons ago. I was expecting a Shakespearean tragedy, with the turbulent rise and meteoric downfall. But then everything that could have downed them suddenly just disappears. Her opposition to be ambassador? Suddenly is gone, she is appointed. The reporter with incriminating evidence but no way to show it? Shot dead. The prostitute? Killed. His Dem challenger? Dropped.

If they had aimed for a five season arc, like a Shakespeare play, it would have played out better. The rise and fall of Underwood. But they are taking it too far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
What the F was that?

If you think the first 7 episodes were jumping the shark, you should see what happens in the last 3 or so episodes of the season.

SPOILER BELOW:

I actually think the uncertainty regarding the election was somewhat intriguing, and the character of Will Conway finally made some sense. That took about 9 episodes of the season. ...And then, Conway disappeared and the Underwoods started killing people left and right, and the show became an even bigger joke than it already was.

This show MUST end next year. I might stick around if I know it's the last season.

I think they botched the Conway arc. I thought they had something great going with Conway's "something to hide" angle regarding his supposed battlefield heroism i.e. lying about a heroic deed which may not have actually happened. Instead, that got turned into erratic PTSD episodes that eventually resulted in an uncharacteristic nervous breakdown...? And then the pussygrabber-esque audio leaks that tanked his campaign and, just like that, Conway became a distant memory...he just vanishes from the show. That, along with all of the other confused writing--Claire is now physically murdering people and Conway's former campaign chief takes care of body disposal...what?! The writing fell apart before the Underwoods did.

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

What the F was that?

The show jumped the shark the moment Zoe hit the train.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
What the F was that?

The show jumped the shark the moment Zoe hit the train.

yup
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

How many people have the Underwoods murdered at this point? Directly or indirectly.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Totally agree. His ascension to President was too quick. They should have milked it more and built out a gradual ascension.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Oh man Neve Campbell is so hot; the things I would do to her!
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
How many people have the Underwoods murdered at this point? Directly or indirectly.

Real life is crazier than House of Cards. Therefore, I wasn't really enthused with this season.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

Real life is crazier than House of Cards. Therefore, I wasn't really enthused with this season.

Yeah, but if Mike Pence's chief of staff and speech writer (who, by the way, lived in the White House and was having sex with Mike Pence) both died under mysterious circumstances and the person about to testify against Trump fell walking down the stairs while meeting Trump in the White House, you'd think someone would notice that something's going on.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject:

Not happy with how the season ended.
I don't mind the idea of self-sabotage. But I think the plan itself was sloppy.
Now people will need pardons. Couldn't there have been a lower stakes way to achieve the goal?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
What the F was that?

SPOILER BELOW:

I think they botched the Conway arc. I thought they had something great going with Conway's "something to hide" angle regarding his supposed battlefield heroism i.e. lying about a heroic deed which may not have actually happened. Instead, that got turned into erratic PTSD episodes that eventually resulted in an uncharacteristic nervous breakdown...? And then the pussygrabber-esque audio leaks that tanked his campaign and, just like that, Conway became a distant memory...he just vanishes from the show. That, along with all of the other confused writing--Claire is now physically murdering people and Conway's former campaign chief takes care of body disposal...what?! The writing fell apart before the Underwoods did.

Along with every other obstacle presented in this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Totally agree. His ascension to President was too quick. They should have milked it more and built out a gradual ascension.

I think the ascension to presidency was great. Peak at season 3. Seasons 4 and 5 should have been the unwinding and destruction of Frank Underwood. Season 5 should have ended with impeachment proceedings.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I think the ascension to presidency was great. Peak at season 3. Seasons 4 and 5 should have been the unwinding and destruction of Frank Underwood. Season 5 should have ended with impeachment proceedings.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the ascension. But he was President by season 2 already. Just would have liked them to milk the ascension longer.

And Season 5 was ridiculous. I mean, planning nationwide hacks to take the network down and stuff like that? Too much. Felt like they ran out of ideas and just decided to mirror real news.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I actually thought Conway's actor was pretty good in the role. He was meant to be a 6'4" good looking alpha male meant to contrast Frank, who's average in every physical way besides his manipulative ability.

Plus he acted Conway's mental breakdown pretty well. What I didn't like was Conway being supplanted by Usher and the witch looking lady as the season's primary antagonists/side characters.

I see what they are doing with Usher particularly...even his name isn't very subtle, as he seems to be "ushering" in a new political era.

But other than that, yeah, the show is no longer top quality TV. It's now more on the level of something like Supernatural or Doctor Who. It has its moments but it basically relies on its leads to carry bad writing.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/02/media/house-of-cards-kevin-spacey-harassment/index.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: