Westbrook wins MVP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I would have picked Kawhi, but I knew that was not going to happen. Therefore congrats Russell.

Carrying a team to 61 wins where the second best player is Aldridge is quite an accomplishment. People love gaudy stats and eccentric types. I would have chosen Kawhi too with Harden coming second.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
TDRock wrote:
I would have picked Kawhi, but I knew that was not going to happen. Therefore congrats Russell.

Carrying a team to 61 wins where the second best player is Aldridge is quite an accomplishment. People love gaudy stats and eccentric types. I would have chosen Kawhi too with Harden coming second.

And Toni, Manu, Patti, emerging Dedmon, 6th man Pau... Coach Pop

Kawhi is great but he had more help than Westbrook
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I think Harden should have gotten it. His numbers were just below Westbrook's. And his team had a better record, beat Westbrook in the playoffs and he wasn't as poor as Westbrook on defense. I read somewhere that Westbrook was ranked LAST among all starting PGs in shots contested.

That is a dubious stat. Shows how bad he was on defense. And Harden was more efficient on offense as well.

I don't think Harden was "robbed" but I give him the slight edge. But when Westbrook did something that has only been done once before, then it's hard not to give it to him, based on pure numbers alone.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi is awesome and I'd rather have him than Durant, or anyone playing today other than Lebron really. His growth every season is impressive.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I think if you swap Durant for Leonard, the Warriors hardly miss a beat.

They would probably give Lebron even more trouble, as Leonard plays him the best out of anyone in the league.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Say what you want about Westbrook, the man averaged a triple double. The first man to do this since Oscar. That is historic. I thought and felt he should get this award since he finished the season.

That being said, I don't really want the Lakers to go after him. Would rather see us go after a bit more of a team type player. Even Lebron is more of a team player than Westbrook.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Say what you want about Westbrook, the man averaged a triple double. The first man to do this since Oscar. That is historic. I thought and felt he should get this award since he finished the season.

That being said, I don't really want the Lakers to go after him. Would rather see us go after a bit more of a team type player. Even Lebron is more of a team player than Westbrook.

Westbrook can be a team player if needed. Heck, he was essentially the backup/defensive sub PG for that UCLA squad until "Can't beat a full court press" Collison got injured. What happened in OKC last year was just him playing hero ball. I would believe he'd still be effective if placed on a quality team where he can put more focus on defense (he made his bones early on with his D). Westbrook's my man and I'm still facebook friends with him for some reason but I wouldn't want him on the team simply because the way he plays causes more wear and tear (i.e a shorter career).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
TDRock wrote:

A lot of Kawhi's contribution is on the defensive end, and MVP is primarily an award for offense.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
defense wrote:
TDRock wrote:

A lot of Kawhi's contribution is on the defensive end, and MVP is primarily an award for offense.

Not sure about this from a statistical standpoint but I spoke with Spurs yesterday and they told me Kawhi didn't deserve to be on the All-NBA Defensive team. They felt he played really bad D this year and focusing too much on offense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: