Greatest concert/musical performance you've ever attended
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Anybody had the chance to check out Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers live?

He's probably tops on my bucket of concerts I would like to go to. Amazing artist and band.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Red rock is just an epic venue. I'd watch 4th graders play recorder there. Well let's not get carried away. Still. If you have a chance to see a show there, go.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

3. I'm not a Country fan at all. But I get that there can be a thin line between Country and Rock sometimes. My wife, who like me is a fan of folk rock and what has become labeled as "Americana" turned me on to Chris Stapleton. He's certainly Country, but we saw him at The Fabulous Forum a few weeks ago and the guy is a talented guitarist and performer who I will go see again.

Dave Alvin and folks from his milieu are calling it Roots Music. Next time Dave is in town you should treat yourself to one of his shows.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

Santana was a really fun show. Those guys just keep going nonstop.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Got to give my props to Tony Bennett and his band at Santa Barbara in '08. Even at the age of 82, his voice and energy was unparalleled and unforgettable. He'll be turning 91 in August and it wasn't a surprise to learn he is still on tour in Europe now and will be playing at the Hollywood Bowl in a few weeks.

A little late with this reply, but I absolutely love Tony Bennett. Possibly my favorite of the old crooners. Dude is an American treasure.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

3. I'm not a Country fan at all. But I get that there can be a thin line between Country and Rock sometimes. My wife, who like me is a fan of folk rock and what has become labeled as "Americana" turned me on to Chris Stapleton. He's certainly Country, but we saw him at The Fabulous Forum a few weeks ago and the guy is a talented guitarist and performer who I will go see again.

Dave Alvin and folks from his milieu are calling it Roots Music. Next time Dave is in town you should treat yourself to one of his shows.

Yeah, Dave's great, been a fan since and his brother formed The Blasters and then when he was briefly with X. Saw the Blaster open for Queen back in the day.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

Queen, Freddie was the greatest front man ever. Followed by the ABB with Duane, the show was one long song. For local shows, the Ventura County Fairgrounds, nothing like music on the beach. Brad Paisley and Keith Urban were there one summer, maybe the two greatest country guitarists ever. And one year I got to see the man, the myth, the legend in David Allan Coe. If he isn't country, I'll kiss your ass.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I saw Metallica last night at Petco Park. I have seen them 6 other times and last night was the greatest concert experience of my life. They have never sounded better.

I have to say that I was annoyed by how many people held their phones over their heads to take video throughout the entire thing.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I saw Metallica last night at Petco Park. I have seen them 6 other times and last night was the greatest concert experience of my life. They have never sounded better.

I have to say that I was annoyed by how many people held their phones over their heads to take video throughout the entire thing.

Sweet. I almost saw them a few weeks ago in Toronto, but decided to see Tom Petty instead (they played the same night). I kind of regret it now that I think about it. But it was probably my last legitimate chance to see the Heartbreakers live. Never seen Metallica either, but seeing as how they tour religiously these days hopefully another chance will pop up. How was the setlist?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

Sweet. I almost saw them a few weeks ago in Toronto, but decided to see Tom Petty instead (they played the same night). I kind of regret it now that I think about it. But it was probably my last legitimate chance to see the Heartbreakers live. Never seen Metallica either, but seeing as how they tour religiously these days hopefully another chance will pop up. How was the setlist?

https://www.metallica.com/tour/30544

awesome. Rob also did anesthesia with a vid of Cliff in the background. I may or may not have shed tears, I don't remember because I was crying

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

https://www.metallica.com/tour/30544

awesome. Rob also did anesthesia with a vid of Cliff in the background. I may or may not shed tears, I don't remember because I was crying

Wow looks like a very nice show. Also dig the openers, no clue they were touring with Gojira. Looks like I missed a good one
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Very few if anyone here ever saw Rory Gallagher, I saw him twice, this was a guy who absolutely shredded on the electric guitar, I'm sure anyone interested can see some youtube vids of him in action.

This was a guy who showed up on stage in a long-sleeve plaid shirt with a blue denim jacket on and a hour or so into the 2-1/2 hour concert he would take the jacket off and be a sweaty mess , but would just keep going.

He was all about the show and making the audience feel they enjoyed a magical time...

Here is a clip:

RAP fans, go ahead and forward to the 1:05 mark, to see and hear a master play the electric guitar...

Someone once asked Jimi Hendrix in an interview whats it like being the best guitarist in the world. "He said i don"t know ask Rory Gallagher"...

One more clip:

Forward to 2:22 to see some awesome slide work...!

This probably captures his best guitar work:

kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:

1995 i seen the Beastie Boys in Oracle arena in Oakland. It wasnt called that back then, this was right after it was renovated. THen in 1998 i went to the Family Values tour with Korn, Rammstien, Ice Cube, Orgy and Limp Bizkit at the Cow Palace in San Fran. both were freaking awesome.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

Hard to choose one, but Los Lobos at a small theater in Keene, NH is up there. Shouted at David Hidalgo in between songs that I was from Whittier and knew his next door neighbor. He invited us back stage after the concert and we chatted about how I used to practice with my band at the house he bought from our drummers family.

After that the wife (now ex) and I went home and made a baby.

True story.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to see Hans Zimmer this Friday, huge fan. I'm hoping I can add that to the list of greatest concerts I've seen.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

i went to go see John Mayer a couple weeks ago.. great show..

Steve Jordan and Pino are monsters..
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject:

Saw Todd Rundgren's Utopia a couple of days ago. Todd is one of my musical heroes, and it was awesome to see him reunited with Kasim Sulton and Willie Wilcox. Such a tight band; amazing harmonies and musicianship. Easily one of the best shows I've seen.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

A little late with this reply, but I absolutely love Tony Bennett. Possibly my favorite of the old crooners. Dude is an American treasure.

Absolutely, he certainly is. Went to see him perform last December in Indio to a full house, it's amazing he's still on tour through at least August of this year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it was because I was not expecting much....but probably about 6 or 7 years ago, saw Journey after Arnel Pineda took over as lead. I am not claiming it was as good as Steve Perry led Journey.....but it was damn close. They brought it that night....had a great time.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

While I wouldn't call it the greatest performance I have ever attended, I went to see John Prine at the Theater at the Ace Hotel on Friday and it was amazing. I've seen him many times and he's always a great showman. In keeping with his great talent as a songwriter/storyteller, the moments between songs are always as much a pleasure as the music. But on Friday he was in rare form. I'm sure it was his personal thrill with performing new material from his recent album, but I think there's a bit of the realization that at this late point in a long career and trying life, he is nearing the final years of his touring life (not that I expect it will end all that soon). You could tell he was loving every minute of it and the energy and joy was contagious.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Too many to choose from. Just some that come to mind.

Radiohead - Hollywood Bowl after Kid A was released

The National - Hollywood Bowl after Sleep Well Beast was released - Garden Box - Second Row - 2017

Father John Misty - I’ve seen him a ton. My favorite may be at the Natural Science Museum - 2009

Spoon - The Troubadour (It was the first time they played there)

Mark Lanegan - Hollywood Forever

Queens of the Stone Age - Benefit concert for Alain Johannes’ wife

Elliott Smith - Black Cat - Washington DC - 1998

Wilco - El Rey

Afghan Whigs - 9:30 Club - Washington DC - 1998

Last edited by Lowest Merion on Sun May 20, 2018 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

While I've been to a number of outdoor music fests, primarily for the atmosphere, I've only been to 2 arena concerts ever. Both with my then Swedish GF who was really into live music.

1) Bryan Adams - Honolulu - New Years Eve 1993

then later that year on the way to Sweden

2) Pink Floyd - Vancouver BC 1994

Both concerts were awesome, but I think it was more to do with the company...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Sun May 20, 2018 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
While I've been to a number of outdoor music fests, primarily for the atmosphere, I've only been to 2 area concerts ever. Both with my then Swedish GF who was really into live music.

Ya, I was at the same Floyd concert.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Too many to choose from. Just some that come to mind.

Radiohead - Hollywood Bowl after Kid A was released

The National - Hollywood Bowl after Sleep Well Beast was released - Garden Box - Second Row - 2017

Father John Misty - I’ve seen him a ton. My favorite may be at the Natural Science Museum - 2009

Spoon - The Troubadour (It was the first time they played there)

Mark Lanegan - Hollywood Forever

Queens of the Stone Age - Benefit concert for Alain Johannes’ wife

Elliott Smith - Black Cat - Washington DC - 1998

Wilco - El Rey

Afghan Whigs - 9:30 Club - Washington DC - 1998

Saw Radiohead in August 2008 at the Bowl. It was quite an event. I still have that ticket.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
While I've been to a number of outdoor music fests, primarily for the atmosphere, I've only been to 2 arena concerts ever. Both with my then Swedish GF who was really into live music.

Division Bell Tour? Nice. The 'Pulse' concert film was shot during that tour iirc. Definitely one of my favorite live albums/concert movies.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: