DLO/Mozgov Traded to Nets for #27 Pick & Brook Lopez
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Until the FO fails I'll be in a wait and see mode. I like what Magic and Pelinka have done so far. I liken it to Obama taking over for Bush, they inherited a mess. It's not going to change overnight. Give them a chance. Jim was given one, why not Magic?

I keep thinking of Phil's struggles in NY.

Phil might be the closest fit for Magic when comparing FO executives across the NBA. Their personalities are quite different, but other factors are much the same.

* Both have a high degree of self confidence

* Both lacked experience working in a FO

* Both lacked success in less than favorable situations (basketball)

* Both used their past success in other aspects of basketball to vault to their current positions

etc

Perhaps Magic will beat the odds, but I remain skeptical that he can return the Lakers to sustained prominence.

Phil's struggles in NY stem from his refusal to eject the triangle. He's unable to co-exist with his star players, Porzingis and Anthony. IMO Jackson is in NY for a check. The best thing Jim did was not hiring him for a FO job. It may have been out of dislike, not business, but it turned out to be a good decision.

I'm fairly sure Jeannie learned something from the Jim debacle. I think we'll be OK. I'm willing to wait and see.

Also, I believe Magic still has a few cards he hasn't played. I sense a rush to judgment by some fans.

Judging by the moves Magic's made so far I think we're headed in the right direction.

Dolan could fire Phil, but that would just bring back more of the pressure on the owner. He doesn't want that, so keeping Phil around helps deflect some of the ire toward the GM. If Phil fails it will be all on him since he got 5 years to improve the team.

Dolan fired Phil and was praised. New York is still in trouble and will be until Dolan takes the Jackson route and gets gone.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
MedRomLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject:

Should have posted earlier but just wanted to say as an original okafor guy I was not happy about this trade. In fact GT basically said everything I wanted to say in his pod #27 iirc. I looked at this trade not from a Dlo perspective but from a financial perspective. They sold short on an investment where the set yield was going to come to maturity in 4-5 years. The incompetence of selling short on that type of investment had me livid. You never sell low on that type of investment, magic did. He could have easily seen if Dlo by himself or even Lonzo could have increased Dlo's trade value. I was on vacation in Florida and I was so pissed it almost ruined my vacation. Not because of Dlo leaving but that lack of return they received. I'll be frank I had little faith in Magic, and barely any in Jeanie. I now have none in J and barely any in Magic. Even after hearing all of his excuses I have a feeling the nets gm basically stood him up told him now or never and magic blinked. I would have had some hope that Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis for PG13, would not have been superior to Dlo,deng, and future 1st/2nd rounders for PG13. Ugh....

4/30/14 the day the ant left the building!!!!!!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject:

MedRomLaker wrote:
Should have posted earlier but just wanted to say as an original okafor guy I was not happy about this trade. In fact GT basically said everything I wanted to say in his pod #27 iirc. I looked at this trade not from a Dlo perspective but from a financial perspective. They sold short on an investment where the set yield was going to come to maturity in 4-5 years. The incompetence of selling short on that type of investment had me livid. You never sell low on that type of investment, magic did. He could have easily seen if Dlo by himself or even Lonzo could have increased Dlo's trade value. I was on vacation in Florida and I was so pissed it almost ruined my vacation. Not because of Dlo leaving but that lack of return they received. I'll be frank I had little faith in Magic, and barely any in Jeanie. I now have none in J and barely any in Magic. Even after hearing all of his excuses I have a feeling the nets gm basically stood him up told him now or never and magic blinked. I would have had some hope that Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis for PG13, would not have been superior to Dlo,deng, and future 1st/2nd rounders for PG13. Ugh....

The problem with this line of reasoning is that you and others are refusing to believe the possibility that Russell would be a bad influence on the rest of the team and the incoming rookies. I don't know if that's how it actually is. But if you look at it like that, then "selling low on that type of investment" isn't the real story.

Could they have gotten a better offer? Possibly. But the nba is unpredictable. It's possible that in a year we would need more assets to get rid of Mozgov. It's possible that russell gets injured, completely destroying his value. It's possible that the FO believed he would have been a bad influence on the team, hampering development.

It was not a perfect trade. But it's no where near as bad as people are making it out to be
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

I think if DLO was that big of a cancer where another year with him on the team would damage our other players we would have heard MUCH more info about him BEFORE he was traded. This smells like PR spin/damage control. ll
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100
Page 100 of 100
Jump to: