PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 745, 746, 747 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Quote:
At the trade deadline, Celtics' big offer to Pacers for Paul George included '17 Nets pick and three other first-rounders, source says.

And what was Indy thinking when they declined this kind of package?

Perhaps one reason is that they couldn't stand losing to him 4x a year and twice at home.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject:

[quote="LakerMindLA"]
mhan00 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
That OKC GM is a bad man. And he's been a bad man for a while now. Drafting Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Adams?!
Grabbing Kanter (when he was desirable).Same for Oladipo.
Now this??!!

Same bad man traded Harden when he could've had a dynasty.

He's not that great.[/quote

To be fair, I blame the owner, Clay Bennett, far more. The owner essentially refused to amnesty Perkins so that they could give Harden his max at the time. And even with keeping Perkins, OKC's offer to Harden ended up only being something like $6-8MM less (in total, not annually) than the full max. The owner simply wasn't willing to go into the luxury tax. Cheapskate.

Actually the major blame goes for the Lakers. OKC thought that having a big was more important when trying to compete with Bynum and Gasol than having Harden.

It's a cautionary tale that you shouldn't always try to beat a power at their own game and it might be better to attack a weakness. Wonder which team try's to destroy GSW with size. OKC almost beat them 2 years ago by going big before choking.

Uhhhhhh, no. The blame for that goes to OKC. It wasn't a matter of either or between Harden and Ibaka. They could have kept both if they were willing to pony up the cash. They chose not to and have never made the finals ever again.

It wasn't Ibaka or Harden they were deciding against.

They chose Perkins over Harden because you had to go through the Lakers at the time and thought they needed Perkins to match up with Bynum with Ibaka matching up with Pau.

They could have paid everyone because they had Ibaka and Harden's bird rights. It wasn't a either or for Harden and Perkins either. The only thing that stopped them from fielding a team with three future mvps that just went to the Finals was the owner's cheapness. The owner could have defrayed the lux tax bill by amnestying Perkins too if he wanted, or he could have kept them all. There were no decisions that were forced on them by another team like the Lakers, OKC effed themselves quite effectively by cheating out.

Last edited by mhan00 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
Shaber wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Quote:
At the trade deadline, Celtics' big offer to Pacers for Paul George included '17 Nets pick and three other first-rounders, source says.

Perhaps one reason is that they couldn't stand losing to him 4x a year and twice at home.

I will never understand that sentiment.

"Oh no, can't lose to him 4 times a year, we better trade him and get worse players in return so that we only have to lose to him 2 times a year"

Makes no sense
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
Shaber wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

"Oh no, can't lose to him 4 times a year, we better trade him and get worse players in return so that we only have to lose to him 2 times a year"

Makes no sense

It wouldn't be my sentiment, but I think KP also doesn't want to give PG even a sniff of a championship. No one really believes OKC is getting out of the West (or even the West Semis for that matter), but by sending him to BOS they'd have a much better chance of at least getting to the ECF. So what I'm saying is he took this deal of all the others out there primarily out of spite.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
Shaber wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Makes no sense

I think it is just simply because Indiana still wanted to build around PG13
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject:

I am slightly disappointed that we can't get PG13 this year. I think a starting lineup of Ball, PG13, Ingram, Randle and Lopez might be able to get the 8th seed in the West.

However, I also think it is more likely for PG13 to leave OKC than if he was traded to Boston or Cleveland.
Showty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject:

Oladipo and Sabonis, really?

With all that was out there, they trade him this cheap.

Yes, Oladipo is an Indiana guy, very popular from his NCAA days, but still doesn´t make it to me, Sabonis is a decent player and will surely become a more decent player, no more than that.

Anyway, for the Lakers i think is better George at OKC than Boston or Cleveland, that is for sure.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
Now instead we get to keep Clarkson and Randle and all our picks with the possibility of PG signing with us for free.

Just gotta hope he gets bounced out of playoffs really badly and he gets real tired of the OKc scene.

Chances all that happens are pretty good

Isn't Randle gone anyways? If they want to chase after 2 max.

From what some of the capologists around here are saying Randle can be retained, but he'd have to be the last person signed.

Yea if Randle balls out this summer he will be looking for a big contract which I don't think the Lakers F.O. will go for.

Maybe he'll be offered in a trade before the deadline if OKC doesn't think they'll be able to keep PG13 the following season.

You know they just lost a Durant for nothing they don't wanna lose PG13 for nothing as well

What's the definition of "ball out"? If he puts up 17/10/5 on solid efficiency and improved defense, why not keep him? He's only 24, totally worth his max

He's only 22. If he gets @ 20/10/5 there is no way in hell you let him go.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers are worried about their ability to get George now, then trading Russell for cap space was incredibly stupid. This is why free agency should not be relied upon, it should not be the plan A, ever.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
Now instead we get to keep Clarkson and Randle and all our picks with the possibility of PG signing with us for free.

Just gotta hope he gets bounced out of playoffs really badly and he gets real tired of the OKc scene.

Chances all that happens are pretty good

Isn't Randle gone anyways? If they want to chase after 2 max.

From what some of the capologists around here are saying Randle can be retained, but he'd have to be the last person signed.

Yea if Randle balls out this summer he will be looking for a big contract which I don't think the Lakers F.O. will go for.

Maybe he'll be offered in a trade before the deadline if OKC doesn't think they'll be able to keep PG13 the following season.

You know they just lost a Durant for nothing they don't wanna lose PG13 for nothing as well

What's the definition of "ball out"? If he puts up 17/10/5 on solid efficiency and improved defense, why not keep him? He's only 24, totally worth his max

He's only 22. If he gets @ 20/10/5 there is no way in hell you let him go.

Fwiw I'd love to keep Julius on our squad forever.
Even if he doesn't reach does stat predications this season.
He's a proud and loyal Laker and I know he wants to finish his career here.

But if these rumors of Lebron , Westbrook , and Demarcus CousIns possibly coming here has some truth to it, unfortunately I do not think Magic would hesitate to dump Julius for cap space.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject:

[quote="ch3cky0selff00"]
pjiddy wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
Trading away Russell was so dumb. He was our best young player and had a solid 2nd season

Lakers fan thought process

Russell 1st season 12pts per game = BUST
Ingram 1st season 9pts per game = FUTURE SUPER STAR

I mean.. it's done lol. Outside of LakersGround.. his value wasn't particularly high considering they couldn't even fetch a pick for him.

Also.. he started off really slow. He got progressively better each month.

By the end of the season he was averaging 13 PPG, 4 RPB, 3APG on 47% FG.

He averaged 15/5.

Who on next year's roster is doing that?

I think Lopez, Randle, Clarkson, Ingram and Ball could all be at or better then those numbers. I expect the first 4 to have career highs this season.
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
If the Lakers are worried about their ability to get George now, then trading Russell for cap space was incredibly stupid. This is why free agency should not be relied upon, it should not be the plan A, ever.

the lakers are trying to be players in the 2018 FA where a number of guys can opt out and become UFA.. so if George doesn't sign a extension then he is still in play as far as the lakers are concerned..
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Congrats. No way he stays in OKC. He's yours next year for sure.

It's tough to accept this is concrete at the moment Dream.

If Westbrook and PG13 have a magical season together and they finish top 4 in the West you never know. It all starts with Westbrook signing that massive extension first. Then a solid season making it to the 2nd round at least could sway George to stay there.

But yeah no Extension from Westbrook No way in hell PG tries to stay in OKC by himself to swing it around.

The Thunder won 55 games and took 3rd in the West with Durant and Ibaka. The Thunder are gonna need more suckers to help them out to be a legit contender and even then I don't see how PG13 stays in freaking Oklahoma.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject:

I think it's time to close this thread.

scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
I wasn't talking down just not everyone understand all the reasons for the deal.

AY2043 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Actually, correction, it was a brilliant move. Read up on the trade and you will understand a little more.

KobeDunk wrote:
Trading away Russell was so dumb. He was our best young player and had a solid 2nd season

Pretty sure most people understand the trade and what we got out of it. Whether or not you like it depends on your opinion of Russell, and there's obviously a ton of variation in those opinions around here.

This topic has been beaten to death over the last 2 years, no need to talk down to people

The details of that trade have been talked about so much in the past week, and aren't that difficult to understand. We traded Russell for dumping Moz, a Brooke Lopez rental, and Kyle Kuzma. Opened cap space to pursue potentially 2 max free agents next summer. I get the details, still think it was a bad trade.

So yes, saying that people who disagree with the trade don't know what they're talking about and need to be further educated is talking down to people.

You also have to consider that Magic cared just as much about trading away Russell as he did about trading Mozgov's contract. So for Magic he was able to get rid of two players he didn't want for different reasons and get back solid value. It was a win/win/win for Magic.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject:

[quote="ChickenStu"]
LakerMindLA wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
That OKC GM is a bad man. And he's been a bad man for a while now. Drafting Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Adams?!
Grabbing Kanter (when he was desirable).Same for Oladipo.
Now this??!!

Same bad man traded Harden when he could've had a dynasty.

He's not that great.[/quote

To be fair, I blame the owner, Clay Bennett, far more. The owner essentially refused to amnesty Perkins so that they could give Harden his max at the time. And even with keeping Perkins, OKC's offer to Harden ended up only being something like $6-8MM less (in total, not annually) than the full max. The owner simply wasn't willing to go into the luxury tax. Cheapskate.

Actually the major blame goes for the Lakers. OKC thought that having a big was more important when trying to compete with Bynum and Gasol than having Harden.

It's a cautionary tale that you shouldn't always try to beat a power at their own game and it might be better to attack a weakness. Wonder which team try's to destroy GSW with size. OKC almost beat them 2 years ago by going big before choking.

They had one. His name was Serge Ibaka. Perkins was garbage, even with the Celtics. (They were better off statistically when Rasheed Wallace, at the very end of his career, was playing the 5 instead of him.) The idea that they couldn't keep James Harden because of Kendrick Perkins...I mean, it's just disgusting.

They coulda kept Harden. He agreed to their lower number but wanted a trade kicker, which cost them nothing ($$ wise). They said no. Then they traded him a year before his salary even increased. He was going to be restricted so they coulda at least kept him for that season to chase the ring. Then he really didn't shop him.

He had a potential dynasty and blew it.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject:

hellsling wrote:
Ugh I don't see either Westbrook and Paul George leaving OKC especially if the super max is on the table for both of them.

Supermax was ruled out for Goeorge when he left Indiana.
He can't have it from no other team.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

I mean.. it's done lol. Outside of LakersGround.. his value wasn't particularly high considering they couldn't even fetch a pick for him.

He averaged 15/5.

Randle

He averaged 13 ppg 8 rpg and 3 apg last season. It's not at all unrealistic to think he could average 2 more points and 2 more assists.

I also see Ingram taking a big leap next year and Ball could prove to be just as effective as D'Lo was...

Ah.

Well you're counting on Ingram to make the most improbable statistical leap in NBA history, but I guess those are the kind of expectations you merit and easily surpass when you're a "gym rat."

You're also counting on the Lakers resigning Randle.

Jimmy Butler went form 2.6 PPG as a rookie to 8.6 PPG in year two. It's not that hard to see Ingram going from from 9.4 as a rookie to 15. Never mind the fact that he averaged 13.4/3.8/2.5 the last 20 games of the season.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject:

hellsling wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
hellsling wrote:
Ugh I don't see either Westbrook and Paul George leaving OKC especially if the super max is on the table for both of them.

Someone doesn't know the rules. PG can't get the supermax anymore.

My mistake. I thought it was still possible for Paul George if he earns a MVP next season. My point still remains. I don't see Westbrook giving up his supermax and Paul George leaving to join a lottery team Lakers. Lonzo and Ingram are at least another two years from from their full potential.

What you (and any of us) think is irrelevant.
Only thing that matters is George said he wants to join the Lakers next year.

Last edited by rogers49 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject:

Agree, it is time to close this thread until this time next year.

Agree, that Magic/Rob made a bet that Paul George will come to the Lakers next year by sacrificing DLO. You hate to waste a number 2 draft pick.
I would live with Deng and DEFINITELY NOT give up any more young assets. Or stretch him but not give up any more assets.
Hopefully, Jim and Mitch will not show their faces in Laker land again after what they did to the Lakers.

If OKC at least gets to the finals it seems that they will max out Westbrook and George. But they will make a hell of a duo. Young
and future ahead.

The Lakers future seems like in 2 to 3 years at the best. So Magic and Rob should plan accordingly.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

He averaged 15/5.

Randle

He averaged 13 ppg 8 rpg and 3 apg last season. It's not at all unrealistic to think he could average 2 more points and 2 more assists.

I also see Ingram taking a big leap next year and Ball could prove to be just as effective as D'Lo was...

Also.. don't forget Brook Lopez lol. Dude still gets buckets.

Also.. don't forget neither of those guys will be on the team after this season.

This is the 2018 roster behind the condescending lol-ing at OKC's "laughable" 47-wins-pre-PG team:

PG: Ball
SG: Josh Hart
SF:Ingram
PF: Nance/Kuzma
C: Zubac/Thomas Bryant

So if a 22 year old Julius Randle gets @ 20/10/5 you don't think the Lakers are going to keep him around?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject:

Showty wrote:
Oladipo and Sabonis, really?

With all that was out there, they trade him this cheap.

Yes, Oladipo is an Indiana guy, very popular from his NCAA days, but still doesn´t make it to me, Sabonis is a decent player and will surely become a more decent player, no more than that.

Anyway, for the Lakers i think is better George at OKC than Boston or Cleveland, that is for sure.

The only package I heard that was better was the latest rumored Celtics one, and that depends on what picks they were giving up. Oladipo is more valuable than multiple near 2nd round picks and other players in line for a huge payday next year. Plus he's local. Young bigs on cheap contracts are always a premium (Sabonis).
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

Agree, that Magic/Rob made a bet that Paul George will come to the Lakers next year by sacrificing DLO. You hate to waste a number 2 draft pick.
I would live with Deng and DEFINITELY NOT give up any more young assets. Or stretch him but not give up any more assets.
Hopefully, Jim and Mitch will not show their faces in Laker land again after what they did to the Lakers.

If OKC at least gets to the finals it seems that they will max out Westbrook and George. But they will make a hell of a duo. Young
and future ahead.

The Lakers future seems like in 2 to 3 years at the best. So Magic and Rob should plan accordingly.

Not at all.
Randle and Clarkson are no more in the plans and will be moved to get rid of Deng, ASAP.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
They had some fetish for Oladipo. Dude sucks. 84 million. Get out of here Pritchard.

i take clarkson over Dipo all day every day

Dipo is has 4 years @ $21 million per year too. Terrible
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

and future ahead.

Getting rid of DLO and the horrific contract of Mozgov helped the possibility of theoretically going after Paul George, but now that the dust has settled on that, it's clear that the FO were content to wait a year and take their chances in free agency next summer, rather than selling the farm for PG now.

But as to DLO, it seems from Magic's comments post-trade that he didn't think much of Russell, and this is one Laker fan who didn't think much of him either. Yes, he has talent, but he also seems woefully unfocused/immature. Certainly that's not a surprise given his age. Some guys grow out of it and some don't.

As I opined the night the deal was made, trading Russell was about clearing the decks for Lonzo Ball. Magic and Pelinka wanted no impediments to Ball having every shot to become the leader of this team. Seems to me Russell thought he was that guy from Day One. Magic knew that, and so DLO had to go, to give Ball every opportunity to succeed and get his teammates onboard with him. imo that would have been much more difficult with Russell around. Of course there's no guarantee that will happen. But young Mr. Ball will have every shot at making it so.

I loved Magic the player with all my heart, but I had become much more skeptical of him in the years since. I found his consistently negative public comments about the team distasteful, particularly while he was listed as an executive of the org, ceremonial as it might have been. I didn't like the way Mitch Kupchak was publicly humiliated during his two weeks extended walk to the plank.

But as things stand now, so far so good with Magic. He's totally engaged in a positive and energizing manner, and he and Pelinka project confidence, authority and, hopefully, competence. Time will tell the tale on that.

But for the first time since Kobe went down with the Achilles, there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel. And Magic is definitely leading. It does this old Laker heart good to see him embracing this challenge, and this is the biggest challenge he's ever had in the NBA. And I feel like he's going to kick it in the ass.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 745, 746, 747 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 746 of 1028
Jump to: