PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 746, 747, 748 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject:

rogers49 wrote:
hellsling wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
hellsling wrote:
Ugh I don't see either Westbrook and Paul George leaving OKC especially if the super max is on the table for both of them.

Someone doesn't know the rules. PG can't get the supermax anymore.

My mistake. I thought it was still possible for Paul George if he earns a MVP next season. My point still remains. I don't see Westbrook giving up his supermax and Paul George leaving to join a lottery team Lakers. Lonzo and Ingram are at least another two years from from their full potential.

What you (and any of us) think is irrelevant.
Only thing that matters is George said he wants to join the Lakers next year.

If he'd gone to cleveland or houston, a deep run might have convinced him to stay, but a season with wb and the best post season outcome being a 2nd round beatdown by the avengers, no chance he stays. That's as good an outcome as the lakers could have wanted besides getting him themselves.

Last edited by Telleris on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject:

Can you see PG13 and Westbrook both leaving OKC for the Purple and Gold next year? I can.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Can you see PG13 and Westbrook both leaving OKC for the Purple and Gold next year? I can.

I think it'd be more likely that he pg tries to get away from westbrook that go somewhere with him.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject:

One last comment from me on this. Oladipo is an Indy fan favorite going back to his IU days. For the Pacers this is strictly a desperate attempt to keep butts in the seats.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
One last comment from me on this. Oladipo is an Indy fan favorite going back to his IU days. For the Pacers this is strictly a desperate attempt to keep butts in the seats.

They should try opening a courtside bar
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Agree, it is time to close this thread until this time next year.

Agree, that Magic/Rob made a bet that Paul George will come to the Lakers next year by sacrificing DLO. You hate to waste a number 2 draft pick.
I would live with Deng and DEFINITELY NOT give up any more young assets. Or stretch him but not give up any more assets.
Hopefully, Jim and Mitch will not show their faces in Laker land again after what they did to the Lakers.

If OKC at least gets to the finals it seems that they will max out Westbrook and George. But they will make a hell of a duo. Young
and future ahead.

The Lakers future seems like in 2 to 3 years at the best. So Magic and Rob should plan accordingly.

Getting rid of DLO and the horrific contract of Mozgov helped the possibility of theoretically going after Paul George, but now that the dust has settled on that, it's clear that the FO were content to wait a year and take their chances in free agency next summer, rather than selling the farm for PG now.

But as to DLO, it seems from Magic's comments post-trade that he didn't think much of Russell, and this is one Laker fan who didn't think much of him either. Yes, he has talent, but he also seems woefully unfocused/immature. Certainly that's not a surprise given his age. Some guys grow out of it and some don't.

As I opined the night the deal was made, trading Russell was about clearing the decks for Lonzo Ball. Magic and Pelinka wanted no impediments to Ball having every shot to become the leader of this team. Seems to me Russell thought he was that guy from Day One. Magic knew that, and so DLO had to go, to give Ball every opportunity to succeed and get his teammates onboard with him. imo that would have been much more difficult with Russell around. Of course there's no guarantee that will happen. But young Mr. Ball will have every shot at making it so.

I loved Magic the player with all my heart, but I had become much more skeptical of him in the years since. I found his consistently negative public comments about the team distasteful, particularly while he was listed as an executive of the org, ceremonial as it might have been. I didn't like the way Mitch Kupchak was publicly humiliated during his two weeks extended walk to the plank.

But as things stand now, so far so good with Magic. He's totally engaged in a positive and energizing manner, and he and Pelinka project confidence, authority and, hopefully, competence. Time will tell the tale on that.

But for the first time since Kobe went down with the Achilles, there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel. And Magic is definitely leading. It does this old Laker heart good to see him embracing this challenge, and this is the biggest challenge he's ever had in the NBA. And I feel like he's going to kick it in the ass.

Agreed.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
As I opined the night the deal was made, trading Russell was about clearing the decks for Lonzo Ball. Magic and Pelinka wanted no impediments to Ball having every shot to become the leader of this team.

This may be true. However, expecting a one-and-done from UCLA to be The One is asking a lot. Draft hype aside, Ball has proven exactly nothing. I worry that Magic might be projecting.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject:

My last comment about DLO, I hope.

DLO was let go for two reasons; the most important one was that he WAS becoming the face of the franchise and he was NOT a two way player, nor a player who took a very serious approach to his game. He was setting as example for the other guys that the FO couldn't stand behind.

The comments about offense winning games is BS. Sure scoring more points than your opponents is what it's all about but you are not going to get far in the playoffs if you don't play DEFENSE.

I believe the FO is trying to bring in strong two way players now. Even though Ball has not been known for his D, the comments coming out of Magic and Rob indicate that they are aware of it and think he has all the tools to excel, they also think he has the work ethic and mentality to be the kind of guy who can lead this team. DLO is never going to be a good leader. I think he can be a great offensive player on a team that already has solid defenders. He could find a place to excel but on our young team, where he was grabbing the mantle, he was not the fit we needed.

On top of that the other draft picks appear to be guys who can play defense too. I think we are going to see a big change in our teams attitude this year. Guys better be trying harder on both sides or they are going to be shipped.

The second reason was to get rid of Moz and his stupid contract. Lopez is a good move, and is much better suited to Lukes system than Moz ever could be. Plus, we can let him walk next year if needed.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Agree, it is time to close this thread until this time next year.

Agree, that Magic/Rob made a bet that Paul George will come to the Lakers next year by sacrificing DLO. You hate to waste a number 2 draft pick.
I would live with Deng and DEFINITELY NOT give up any more young assets. Or stretch him but not give up any more assets.
Hopefully, Jim and Mitch will not show their faces in Laker land again after what they did to the Lakers.

If OKC at least gets to the finals it seems that they will max out Westbrook and George. But they will make a hell of a duo. Young
and future ahead.

The Lakers future seems like in 2 to 3 years at the best. So Magic and Rob should plan accordingly.

Getting rid of DLO and the horrific contract of Mozgov helped the possibility of theoretically going after Paul George, but now that the dust has settled on that, it's clear that the FO were content to wait a year and take their chances in free agency next summer, rather than selling the farm for PG now.

But as to DLO, it seems from Magic's comments post-trade that he didn't think much of Russell, and this is one Laker fan who didn't think much of him either. Yes, he has talent, but he also seems woefully unfocused/immature. Certainly that's not a surprise given his age. Some guys grow out of it and some don't.

As I opined the night the deal was made, trading Russell was about clearing the decks for Lonzo Ball. Magic and Pelinka wanted no impediments to Ball having every shot to become the leader of this team. Seems to me Russell thought he was that guy from Day One. Magic knew that, and so DLO had to go, to give Ball every opportunity to succeed and get his teammates onboard with him. imo that would have been much more difficult with Russell around. Of course there's no guarantee that will happen. But young Mr. Ball will have every shot at making it so.

I loved Magic the player with all my heart, but I had become much more skeptical of him in the years since. I found his consistently negative public comments about the team distasteful, particularly while he was listed as an executive of the org, ceremonial as it might have been. I didn't like the way Mitch Kupchak was publicly humiliated during his two weeks extended walk to the plank.

But as things stand now, so far so good with Magic. He's totally engaged in a positive and energizing manner, and he and Pelinka project confidence, authority and, hopefully, competence. Time will tell the tale on that.

But for the first time since Kobe went down with the Achilles, there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel. And Magic is definitely leading. It does this old Laker heart good to see him embracing this challenge, and this is the biggest challenge he's ever had in the NBA. And I feel like he's going to kick it in the ass.

Agreed.

Agreed.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject:

One championship is more important then years of contention.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
My last comment about DLO, I hope.

DLO was let go for two reasons; the most important one was that he WAS becoming the face of the franchise and he was NOT a two way player, nor a player who took a very serious approach to his game. He was setting as example for the other guys that the FO couldn't stand behind.

The comments about offense winning games is BS. Sure scoring more points than your opponents is what it's all about but you are not going to get far in the playoffs if you don't play DEFENSE.

I believe the FO is trying to bring in strong two way players now. Even though Ball has not been known for his D, the comments coming out of Magic and Rob indicate that they are aware of it and think he has all the tools to excel, they also think he has the work ethic and mentality to be the kind of guy who can lead this team. DLO is never going to be a good leader. I think he can be a great offensive player on a team that already has solid defenders. He could find a place to excel but on our young team, where he was grabbing the mantle, he was not the fit we needed.

On top of that the other draft picks appear to be guys who can play defense too. I think we are going to see a big change in our teams attitude this year. Guys better be trying harder on both sides or they are going to be shipped.

The second reason was to get rid of Moz and his stupid contract. Lopez is a good move, and is much better suited to Lukes system than Moz ever could be. Plus, we can let him walk next year if needed.

👍🏾
LonzoBall
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

Now we get Westbrook and PG13 lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I mean it's pretty obvious why okc does this, they want to resign westbrook TODAY

I think it was a stealth salary dump. They probably know one or both pg/WB may leave them next year.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

Can I ask an unrelated question to everyone here? What is the latest status on Deng? Last I heard he went MIA when he was benched and didn't he not show for his exit interview?

Do we know if he's talked to Magic and in the gym? If he's on the team, I certainly hope for a better year out of him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
That OKC GM is a bad man. And he's been a bad man for a while now. Drafting Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Adams?!
Grabbing Kanter (when he was desirable).Same for Oladipo.
Now this??!!

But he lost Harden and Durant and Ibaka.

And very likely pg and WB.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

[quote="ChickenStu"]
Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
That OKC GM is a bad man. And he's been a bad man for a while now. Drafting Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Adams?!
Now this??!!

Same bad man traded Harden when he could've had a dynasty.

He's not that great.[/quote

To be fair, I blame the owner, Clay Bennett, far more. The owner essentially refused to amnesty Perkins so that they could give Harden his max at the time. And even with keeping Perkins, OKC's offer to Harden ended up only being something like $6-8MM less (in total, not annually) than the full max. The owner simply wasn't willing to go into the luxury tax. Cheapskate.

And PG and WB will get significant increases (PG from 18-19 to 30 and WB the 35% of cap deal). No way they pay both.
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject:

LonzoBall wrote:

Pipe dream. Westbrook is not walking away from $200 million.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Now this??!!

But he lost Harden and Durant and Ibaka.

He basically got George for Ibaka, though.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

I have no idea what Pritchard was doing here.

It does seem like maybe he was being petty, but we don't know exactly what the Lakers offered.

Sabonis has the chance to be a good NBA player. Oladipo is OK, but his contract is the exact opposite of what you want if you are Indy.

That is shocking to me that they took on a bad contract in the trade and didn't get any picks. Wow. Nice job Pritch, you showed us!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
LonzoBall wrote:

Pipe dream. Westbrook is not walking away from $200 million.

Fine..I'm not a big Wesbrook fan anyway. PG is coming guys cuz no way OKC gets past the 2nd round. I think they stick to the original plan PG13 and LBJ.
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:

Keep in mind that George told the Cavs that he wouldn't resign with them if they traded for him.

we do not know if that is actually true

I believe that came from one of WOJ's reports. George's agent was telling EVERYBODY that he'd be a rental.

PG's agent said that in hopes of deterring teams from trading for him so that Indy would be more likely to trade to LA and PG can get his max deal here. Now that he's in OKC, it's gonna be hard to turn down a max deal. Hell, Jrue holiday just got 126 mil. You think PG is gonna walk away from 60+ mil gauranteed cash just to play in his home town?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

How good do you guys think OKC has to be next year to convince PG to stay there?
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
How good do you guys think OKC has to be next year to convince PG to stay there?

I think their supporting cast is still pretty bad. They have Steven Adams and Enes Kanter (and how exciting are they?)...and that's it? They're going to win 50 games because of Westbrook and PG13. Those two could go anywhere together and win 50 games I suspect (although it would be a challenge here ). The only wild-card is Westbrook, since it's hard to see him passing up his supermax.
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

I don't think OKC needs to be that much better than they already are. PG's choices are a max deal worth >200 mil over 5 years on a playoff team with the reigning league MVP vs. a substantial paycut to play in LA on a rebuilding roster.

Think to yourself, if you were 29 years old and probably unlikely to get another max deal again in your career, would you turn down one in OKC just to come to LA and possibly endure losing seasons for the rest of your prime?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 746, 747, 748 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 747 of 1028
Jump to: