PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 747, 748, 749 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
How good do you guys think OKC has to be next year to convince PG to stay there?

I don't think OKC needs to be that much better than they already are. PG's choices are a max deal worth >200 mil over 5 years on a playoff team with the reigning league MVP vs. a substantial paycut to play in LA on a rebuilding roster.

Think to yourself, if you were 29 years old and probably unlikely to get another max deal again in your career, would you turn down one in OKC just to come to LA and possibly endure losing seasons for the rest of your prime?

You mean playing in OKC, where the only notable players are Westbrook, and himself, two decent big men, no bench depth, and a mid level playoff team, at best. That's purgatory. Also, PG13 isn't eligible for a supermax contract, due to missing the All Team selections.

Or, if he feels he can be the player that can take a young, but talented squad in the Lakers, to the playoffs, and possibly to playoff contention...why not? Depends on who you trust to build a truly competitive team. Presti in Oklahoma, or Magic/Pelinka in LA.

ZOOM!!!!!!
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

The league should force Cleveland to trade LeBron the Rockets or Warriors and then officially abolish the Eastern Conference.
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
PG's choices are a max deal worth >200 mil over 5 years on a playoff team

PG isn't eligible for Supermax.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
How good do you guys think OKC has to be next year to convince PG to stay there?

I don't think OKC needs to be that much better than they already are. PG's choices are a max deal worth >200 mil over 5 years on a playoff team with the reigning league MVP vs. a substantial paycut to play in LA on a rebuilding roster.

Think to yourself, if you were 29 years old and probably unlikely to get another max deal again in your career, would you turn down one in OKC just to come to LA and possibly endure losing seasons for the rest of your prime?

If he wants money, Its better to sign 3 ys with any team and resign for supermax like what hayward is doing.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

I think their supporting cast is still pretty bad. They have Steven Adams and Enes Kanter (and how exciting are they?)...and that's it? They're going to win 50 games because of Westbrook and PG13. Those two could go anywhere together and win 50 games I suspect (although it would be a challenge here ). The only wild-card is Westbrook, since it's hard to see him passing up his supermax.

Yea their roster is not great @ all. And their about $9M over the cap.
Russ-PG- Adams-Kanter-Abrines and ill throw in A-Rob if if helps.

They might be a 50 win team, but they might not make it out the 1st round.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

Zach Lowe:

Quote:
Every team, even George's suitors in Boston and Cleveland, thinks there is at least a 75 percent chance George stays true to his L.A. plans. The Lakers certainly think that.

Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Showty wrote:
Oladipo and Sabonis, really?

With all that was out there, they trade him this cheap.

Yes, Oladipo is an Indiana guy, very popular from his NCAA days, but still doesn´t make it to me, Sabonis is a decent player and will surely become a more decent player, no more than that.

Anyway, for the Lakers i think is better George at OKC than Boston or Cleveland, that is for sure.

The only package I heard that was better was the latest rumored Celtics one, and that depends on what picks they were giving up. Oladipo is more valuable than multiple near 2nd round picks and other players in line for a huge payday next year. Plus he's local. Young bigs on cheap contracts are always a premium (Sabonis).

Even the package Gary Harris+Trey Lyles looks better to me.

Oladipo´s contract is terrible.

I just don´t get why they didn´t trade him before, when even the Nets pick ´17 was on the table and now they trade him for this.

I can only see 2 reasons, Oladipo being a local guy so they can buy some fans patience and sending George to the Western conference.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

He can't get the super max, period. No matter what, he has to opt put of his next contract after he's eligible for it to reup with whatever team he's on then to get that super max money. That's why it's very possible for him to leave any team he was traded to and why contenders weren't willing to give up the farm to rent him. The only benefit to staying with his currentteam for the max is slightly bigger raises each year, which are negligible, and five years instead of four if he leaves. But since he 100 percent will be opting out early from his next contract anyway to get the supermax deal for his next contract, the extra year means nothing more than possible career ending injury insurance.

PG might also legitimately wonder if a team whose owner was so cheap he forced Presti to trade Harden the off season after they made the Finals to avoid the lux tax will be willing to pony up for his supermax contract down the line. The owner was so terrified of the possibility of lux tax he traded Harden a whole year before his rookie contract was up and didn't even wait for Harden to hit restricted free agency. He broke up a potential dynasty to penny pinch, I doubt PG is fully confident a supermax contract is inevitable in OKC.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
NYClakerguy wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

You mean playing in OKC, where the only notable players are Westbrook, and himself, two decent big men, no bench depth, and a mid level playoff team, at best. That's purgatory. Also, PG13 isn't eligible for a supermax contract, due to missing the All Team selections.

Or, if he feels he can be the player that can take a young, but talented squad in the Lakers, to the playoffs, and possibly to playoff contention...why not? Depends on who you trust to build a truly competitive team. Presti in Oklahoma, or Magic/Pelinka in LA.

ZOOM!!!!!!

I think one thing people are forgetting in all of this is at the end of next season OKC will likely be a 50-win team and in the playoffs(and likely lose to GS), and the Lakers will be in the high 20/low 30 win column and in the lottery AGAIN.

It's going to be difficult to convince him to sign with the Lakers considering the roster will be full of young guys with little experience. Of course, there is that extra max contract you provide to play alongside PG, but you have to get someone to actually sign it first.

If there's one thing I've learned over the last few years, its that players are starting to take control of their playing careers by teaming up instead of relying on GM/management to build a winning team around you. Magic/Pelinka have no experience putting a championship team together. Presti on the other hand has at least put together a team that went to the finals(in the West) and has a MVP caliber player to play along PG. I just don't see PG taking a huge gamble at this stage in this career by signing with the Lakers considering they have a rookie front office and bunch of 1st/2nd/3rd year players on the team.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

All those losses only to give the pick to Boston. Traginka didn't even give the kid a chance at a third year.

Talk about rubbing more salt in, with no guarantees PG is coming here next year.

evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Im pretty much convinced George and WB coming over after next year

Ball/WB/ennis
Wb/PG/clarkson
Pg/nwaba etc
Ingram/.randle
Who cares

We good - so much versatility
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:

Keep in mind that George told the Cavs that he wouldn't resign with them if they traded for him.

we do not know if that is actually true

I believe that came from one of WOJ's reports. George's agent was telling EVERYBODY that he'd be a rental.

PG's agent said that in hopes of deterring teams from trading for him so that Indy would be more likely to trade to LA and PG can get his max deal here. Now that he's in OKC, it's gonna be hard to turn down a max deal. Hell, Jrue holiday just got 126 mil. You think PG is gonna walk away from 60+ mil gauranteed cash just to play in his home town?

That pacer's GM must really hate us to not take young players and picks like we offered.....lol

I mean....there comes a point where hatred makes you unfit to do your job.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

I said it before, George is NOT as good as Durant, and they could not get to the finals with Durant, so logic dictates that they will still be back in the pack along with the Rockets and Spurs.

Hopefully George will see the same qualities and tendencies in Westbrook that made Durant bolt, and come to the Lakers as planned.

Consider this: George is has been saying for quite awhile that he wants to play for his HOMETOWN Lakers, and he was saying it when the Lakers sucked, so it means it is all about coming home, NOT living in OKC!

he will be here, just be patient and don't worry - be happy...!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

I have them winning 50, give or take 9
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
All those losses only to give the pick to Boston. Traginka didn't even give the kid a chance at a third year.

Talk about rubbing more salt in, with no guarantees PG is coming here next year.

Boston must be licking their chops watching the Nets with DLo as their best player while also watching the Lakers trotting 5 rookies with no Paul George
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

It’s always possible that George locks long-term next season wherever he goes. But if he wants to potentially maximize his earnings, he’ll need to take a shorter deal so he can re-enter free agency as a 10-year veteran. In that case, he could seek a two-year deal with a player option for a third season. That’d essentially pay him an estimated $63.6 million in Oklahoma City or $62.7 million elsewhere. So much for that advantage. – via DailyThunder.com

Q: Can the Thunder extend George’s contract? A: Technically, yes. In reality, no. The Thunder doesn’t have the cap space necessary to renegotiate and extend George’s deal. That would require nearly $10 million in cap space to bring his salary to his max. Don’t expect Oklahoma City to gut pieces of the team just to do this. It wants to build a team with depth. Without that option, George would have to opt into his 2018-19 year in order to extend his contract. That calls for him to earn $20.7 million, which is way below his market value. A hypothetical extension would be based off that amount, not automatically ratcheted up to his max salary. – via DailyThunder.com
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Jalen says he thinks PG is staying in OKC

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Jalen says he thinks PG is staying in OKC

Doesn't matter what Jalen says, we're looking forward to an entirely different style of basketball with the personnel we're putting together. If these integrated parts (Ball, Kuzma, and to an extent Hart) blend well with a motivated Randle & Pope, a healthy Nance Jr, an expected leap from BI, and a center who can shoot 3's and space the floor, we're going to make some noise.

There's one thing regarding PG that I'll be looking and hoping for this season: that we beat OKC. If we make some noise, and beat his current team, then, again, it won't matter what Rose, or anyone, says come 2018.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Finally listened to woj's entire podcast with PG. it was spliced for the Sportscenter interview. I found it interesting that PG agreed with Woj and said he was surprised the lakers didn't do more to try and trade for him.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Tyler Ennis is back.
Laker Math
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Could this work?

Trade Clarkson and Randle for Boogie Cousins before 2018 FA. Then sign PG or LeBron and resign Boogie and KCP??

Thoughts on a 2018 Lakers:

Ball
KCP/PG
Ingram/PG
Nance/Kuzma/PG
Boogie/Zubac

or

Ball
KCP/Ingram
LeBron/Ingram
Nance/Kuzma/Lebron
Boogie/Zubac

If NO will loose Boogie otherwise, they can get JC and JR (hoping to resign him). We get Boogie, free up JCs cap space and don't have to pay for JR

Thoughts?
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Could this work?

Laker Math wrote:
Trade Clarkson and Randle for Boogie Cousins before 2018 FA. Then sign PG or LeBron and resign Boogie and KCP??

Thoughts on a 2018 Lakers:

Ball
KCP/PG
Ingram/PG
Nance/Kuzma/PG
Boogie/Zubac

or

Ball
KCP/Ingram
LeBron/Ingram
Nance/Kuzma/Lebron
Boogie/Zubac

If NO will loose Boogie otherwise, they can get JC and JR (hoping to resign him). We get Boogie, free up JCs cap space and don't have to pay for JR

Thoughts?

Solid bump.

I'm not really a fan on PG, Bron or Boogie right now. I'm excited to see what this team does next season. We may already have a couple superstars in the making with Ball and Ingram.
PGinLA
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject:

The trade is looking more and more like a bust. COOL!!!
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject:

PGinLA wrote:
The trade is looking more and more like a bust. COOL!!!

The trade or the player?
storm1324
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Will fan acknowledge now after 27 games and the Pacers sitting at 16-11 they made out pretty good in the trade

When the trade was made people said Victor Oladipo was over paid at 21 mil a season. To me he looks well worth that avg 24.5 ppg, shooting 48.5% from the field 45 % from 3's adding 5 rebounds , 4 assists and being a clutch shooter in late game situations.

Domas Sabonis has been solid off the bench avg 12.1ppg, 8.5 rpg and shooting 53% from the field and 79% from the line. Teaming with Myles Turner to give the Pacers 2-21 yr old bigs to build with.

In the end its seems reasonable to say the only losers in the PG not staying in Indiana deal will be the OKC Thunder
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 747, 748, 749 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 748 of 1028
Jump to: