View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
DrDent wrote:
nickuku wrote:

You're responding in a public thread criticizing DLO's shooting percentages which I addressed earlier in direct response to you and you ignored it. But yes thank you for letting me know what you have to "deal with".

I'll put aside for the moment your insistence that I must take your position into consideration when responding to another poster. Let's just forget shooting percentages and instead you want focus on PER [I assume thats what you meant by "efficiency"] as the reason dlo should be fawned over? Ok, so it increased, as did his number of starts. So?

(bleep) IT. I give up.

Ok, Nick, after reading evetsteve's post in another thread it made me realize I'm probably just being a bit of hard [bleep] about dlo and that for many they are still sore about what happened, and I should probably just leave it alone. I too was originally agitated about the trade but have since chosen to just give the FO a chance and try to see things how I believe they are seeing them based on the limited info we all get and I'm frankly just wanting others to come on to that side of the fence too, since its a bit happier on that side.

If you wish, here's the proverbial olive branch being extended...if not, no biggie, I understand.

With that said, re what the other poster said just above...yes re Bryant!
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
Won't overreact. I'm sure Ball will be fine long term.

Yes I'm still a Dlo fan too and can't help but wonder how a BI, Dlo, Jackson/Tatum core wouldve developed.

Watching Fox now and this kid just has an extra gear. Teams won't be able to stay in front of him defensively.

Player #1:
Minutes: 32

Pts: 5
FG: 13%
FTA: 0
FTM: 0
Rbs: 4
Asts: 5
Stls: 2
TOs: 3

Player #2:
Minutes 27

Pts: 18
FG: 43%
FTA: 6
FTM: 4
Rbs: 3
Asts: 4
Stls: 5
TOs: 1

My thoughts prior to the draft: Magic made an incompetent move trading DLO in a salary dump AND Magic is going to blow it by selecting Ball over Fox.

My thoughts during the draft: Magic makes another incompetent move selecting Ball over Fox AND I hope Ball kills it and turns into gold from the moment the Lakers selected him.

My thoughts after our 1st preseason game: No kidding!

First preseason game for a 19 year old doesn't mean much. At the same time, his weaknesses, identified prior to the draft, were on clear display tonight.

We'll see how things go, there is no reason to believe his shot won't come around... because that was one of Lonzo's strengths. As for his weaknesses (dribble penetration, P&R, defense, etc)... Magic better pray there's some serious improvement on the horizon.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
daytripper wrote:

Yes I'm still a Dlo fan too and can't help but wonder how a BI, Dlo, Jackson/Tatum core wouldve developed.

Watching Fox now and this kid just has an extra gear. Teams won't be able to stay in front of him defensively.

Player #1:

Player #2:
Minutes 27

My thoughts prior to the draft: Magic made an incompetent move trading DLO in a salary dump AND Magic is going to blow it by selecting Ball over Fox.

My thoughts during the draft: Magic makes another incompetent move selecting Ball over Fox AND I hope Ball kills it and turns into gold from the moment the Lakers selected him.

First preseason game for a 19 year old doesn't mean much. At the same time, his weaknesses, identified prior to the draft, were on clear display tonight.

We'll see how things go, there is no reason to believe his shot won't come around... because that was one of Lonzo's strengths. As for his weaknesses (dribble penetration, P&R, defense, etc)... Magic better pray there's some serious improvement on the horizon.

It is only 1 summer league game, but my pre-draft worries were magic was going to fall for the hype and while we can't do anything other than let it play out, tonight the worries reared their ugly head. I just don't see it, imo there were better options in the draft including 2 PGs who stood out more in DSJ and Fox. I hope to eat crow later but I was never this discouraged for DLO or Ingram (just for most recent reference points).
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
M2K wrote:
daytripper wrote:

Player #1:

Player #2:
Minutes 27

It is only 1 summer league game, but my pre-draft worries were magic was going to fall for the hype and while we can't do anything other than let it play out, tonight the worries reared their ugly head. I just don't see it, imo there were better options in the draft including 2 PGs who stood out more in DSJ and Fox. I hope to eat crow later but I was never this discouraged for DLO or Ingram (just for most recent reference points).

Supporting your view...Magic has since pretty much admitted he wanted Lonzo to be his guy even before the first work out (at least that's how I interpret his comments).

I cant argue with folks who liked Fox...I liked / like Fox as well...but for the first half of the game I did see alot of what folks liked about Lonzo.

The one thing I'm unsure about Lonzo isnt his skill...I just wonder if he thinks he already knows everything.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
M2K wrote:
daytripper wrote:

Player #1:

Player #2:
Minutes 27

Supporting your view...Magic has since pretty much admitted he wanted Lonzo to be his guy even before the first work out (at least that's how I interpret his comments).

I cant argue with folks who liked Fox...I liked / like Fox as well...but for the first half of the game I did see alot of what folks liked about Lonzo.

The one thing I'm unsure about Lonzo isnt his skill...I just wonder if he thinks he already knows everything.

Yeah I mean that's fair. The thing that worries me the most is lack of shaking the defender. If he can't breakdown a defense, he better be lethal from 3 point shot perspective. NBA is just a totally different beast and they will eat him up if he doesn't knock down the 3s.

Just being able to push the pace and make the outlet pass will not be enough to have a good career. He still has time obviously, but that was the big red flag to me from ucla games. I didn't see that shake and breakdown a defense ability enough, and when you don't have that the NBA guys will neutralize you, especially PG.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Yeah I mean that's fair. The thing that worries me the most is lack of shaking the defender. If he can't breakdown a defense, he better be lethal from 3 point shot perspective. NBA is just a totally different beast and they will eat him up if he doesn't knock down the 3s.

Just being able to push the pace and make the outlet pass will not be enough to have a good career. He still has time obviously, but that was the big red flag to me from ucla games. I didn't see that shake and breakdown a defense ability enough, and when you don't have that the NBA guys will neutralize you, especially PG.

I agree that he has to be steph Curry Lethal so his game would open up.

I disagree that he can't breakdown a defense.

He broke down a defender in a crucial play vs the Clips. Too bad he missed the layup.
VANEXELtoJONES
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject:

His defense is atrocious. Can't stay in front of whoever he's guarding at all.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject:

I was concerned that he didn't play with enough defensive intensity when his shot was not falling. However his passes and vision were on point.

I expect him to pick it up tonight.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

If Ball would have had a great game this would have been the sentiment

"It was only against Dleaguers and scrubs....but man, when he faces real competition he's going to get hammered. Too bad DLO isn't there playing SG to help him, still no shooter...Magic is a failure"

The group that hated the DLO trade is the same group that is talking poorly about our FO, that's also the same group who is going to tear Ball down. It's the same group of haters...no matter how ball plays they aren't going to be happy.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
If Ball would have had a great game this would have been the sentiment

"It was only against Dleaguers and scrubs....but man, when he faces real competition he's going to get hammered. Too bad DLO isn't there playing SG to help him, still no shooter...Magic is a failure"

The group that hated the DLO trade is the same group that is talking poorly about our FO, that's also the same group who is going to tear Ball down. It's the same group of haters...no matter how ball plays they aren't going to be happy.

Well, Ball had a terrible game so I guess we'll never know which posters would say that about his first spl game. I just hope we get a chance during Summer League to find out which posters downgrade his excellent game.

But, focusing on Ball, I don't think the criticism is unfounded at all. He looked bad against Summer League competition. He didn't find any way of compensating for his shot not falling. He outplayed Caruso for our squad and that's about it. He needs to pick it up a long ways to look like an NBA prospect.

Flip side - a lot of good 19 year old players really stink it up in their first stint in summer league. And there's no way that I can believe teams will continue to get away with daring him to make uncontested 3's. It's a matter of time before that becomes a huge mistake. That one factor alone, Lonzo forgetting that he can nail open 3's in his sleep, was the difference between the Cloppers winning in OT and the Lakers breezing by them with an easy 10+ pt margin.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

Ball is finding out what it's like to not have open shooters running down the court all the time. Welcome to the NBA! Now lets see how he adjusts. Needless to say, he isn't going to go Magic Johnson and take the Lakers to the Finals (or the playoffs) in his first year. At this point, I'd be glad if he'd just have a decent/normal rookie season.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

are we really making determinations over 1 summer pro league game on ball?

omg omg omg
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
are we really making determinations over 1 summer pro league game on ball?

omg omg omg

Only since the summer league was invented.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

honestly, I am more concerned over how Zubac looked more than Ball....Zubac looked totally "off".
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
honestly, I am more concerned over how Zubac looked more than Ball....Zubac looked totally "off".

At least with zubac we have other options. Lopez for now, Bryant. Randle/Nance small ball. Possibiltiy to bring back Robinson. Even Black.

With Lonzo we got no one else behind him really. Ennis is it.
WestwoodWizard
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Agreed. Though, I would probably say surprised rather than concerned. It's easy to forget just how young Zu is, but I still expect him to bounce back tonight.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
jodeke wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
JonnyZero wrote:
cmon Lonzo...show us why we chose you over Dlo

Never should have been an either or. Why not have both?

I don't think DLO would have settled for second fiddle.

Thats an assumption, but he wold be freed up to score more. His play could have made him not be second fiddle.

If Zo really makes everyone better then DLo could have looked better and we could have at least got more for him.
Pure Panic

I mean, DLO most likely wants the MY TEAM position. Though watching Ball he seems to have a demeanor that wouldn't care or make a fuss about whose team it is.

We had a chemistry problem last season. I think Zo will do a lot to fix it. I may be on a island by myself but Randel seems to be selfish. I hope I'm wrong.

I like what I saw last night, even Blue. Vander's trying to hard, he needs to settle down. He has the skills.

Got the Celtics tonight.

Can't wait for the preseason when the real team is playing. Hurrup!!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Where is the SL game 2 thread?
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
pio2u wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Gawd i cannot stand Magic Johnson

Just wait. The dude has to have his hands in eevvveerrryyyyttthhiinnng.

Has to call the shots on everyhing himself. Drives me nuts.

So much of it is for show and attention. Im sure BI wasnt coming back and there are other ways to tell the coach not to put him in. But, Magic loves to grandstand and the more obvious the decision the more showy he becomes.

I love me some Magic, but I totally get this. He was totally playing to the crowd, like a WWF manager or a Rucker Park head coach.

I was like, WTF are you doing? Sit your ass down and let the coach or the training staff do their job. If you have a message to send them, like "shut BI down", just walk over or send a flunky. Ask yourself "What would JW do?"

I'm about 97% certain that 94% of the strategy Magic is getting credit for in the front office is Rob Pelinka's doing. Pretty sure Magic is just there to be a closer in free agency.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
pio2u wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Gawd i cannot stand Magic Johnson

Just wait. The dude has to have his hands in eevvveerrryyyyttthhiinnng.

Has to call the shots on everyhing himself. Drives me nuts.

So much of it is for show and attention. Im sure BI wasnt coming back and there are other ways to tell the coach not to put him in. But, Magic loves to grandstand and the more obvious the decision the more showy he becomes.

I love me some Magic, but I totally get this. He was totally playing to the crowd, like a WWF manager or a Rucker Park head coach.

I was like, what the heck are you doing? Sit your ass down and let the coach or the training staff do their job. If you have a message to send them, like "shut BI down", just walk over or send a flunky. Ask yourself "What would JW do?"

I'm about 97% certain that 94% of the strategy Magic is getting credit for in the front office is Rob Pelinka's doing. Pretty sure Magic is just there to be a closer in free agency.

I thought Magic wasn't taking any chances. Maybe he wasn't sure Buechler would take BI out or Ingram would talk him into staying in the game.

I like Ball. I've mentioned his demeanor. He reminds of of Steph Curry.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma may be nice on defense.

Someone else said 3&D and I think I'm starting to see it
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Tatum the closer
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Kuzma may be nice on defense.

Someone else said 3&D and I think I'm starting to see it

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81
Page 81 of 81
Jump to: