Dirk saved Mark Cuban $195 millions over 20 years
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Dirk saved Mark Cuban $195 millions over 20 years

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/dirk-nowitzki-sacrificed-much-194-163500586.html
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

Oops.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

And only one ring to show for it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

But did he save a bunch of money on car insurance?
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Cuban has been bad at building teams, since the initial jackpot of Finley,Nash and Dirk assets dried up.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Cuban has been bad at building teams, since the initial jackpot of Finley,Nash and Dirk assets dried up.

Don't forget Van Exel, Juan Howard, and Antawn Jamison.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

any player that saves a billionaire money is an idiot in my book
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:

He didn't really save Cuban any money. The money that Dirk could have been paid just went to other players. So basically Dirk was sacrificing money to have better teammates.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

He didn't really save Cuban any money. The money that Dirk could have been paid just went to other players. So basically Dirk was sacrificing money to have better teammates.

And like somebody else has already said only has one ring to show for it. Now maybe Dirk is okay with it but I better not hear of him appearing on Broke 2 either.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Dirk took a paycut in order for Chandler (bleep) Parsons to get a max contract.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

And like somebody else has already said only has one ring to show for it. Now maybe Dirk is okay with it but I better not hear of him appearing on Broke 2 either.

If he goes broke after having made $294 million, then that's his own fault. People who squander insane amounts of money like that generally would have squandered it no matter how much they had.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

One could also conclude that his career has been lengthened by getting help. Would Dirk have gotten to 20 years if he were still the primary offensive option on the team? Probably not.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

And Cuban is laughing his way to the bank.

No player should be forced to take a paycut for his cheap owner.

The only people on board with that kind of an idea are selfish morons who don't realize how much players sacrifice in terms of effort and preparation to remain active at a high level.

They deserve every penny they make and more.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

If he goes broke after having made $294 million, then that's his own fault. People who squander insane amounts of money like that generally would have squandered it no matter how much they had.

Oh I agree but he could've had more of a cushion without the paycut. I mean it reminds me of Tim Duncan losing $20 million and he took a lot of paycuts but the Spurs won titles with his sacrifice. Dirk just lost out on millions he will never get back.

If he can live with it so be it but I don't fault a player for wanting to maximize his earning potential either and these same owners expect taxpayers to foot the bill for their stadiums...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

One ring is one ring. There are a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame who don't have one.

But the main point is that Dirk acted in his own self-interest. He didn't take less money for Cuban's sake, he did it so he could be surrounded by better team mates. And it's not like this saved Cuban money. It just meant the money was spent on other players
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Oh I agree but he could've had more of a cushion without the paycut. I mean it reminds me of Tim Duncan losing $20 million and he took a lot of paycuts but the Spurs won titles with his sacrifice. Dirk just lost out on millions he will never get back.

If he can live with it so be it but I don't fault a player for wanting to maximize his earning potential either and these same owners expect taxpayers to foot the bill for their stadiums...

Tim Duncan was different, he wasn't the only one, a number of Spurs players took less than their market values. Dirk on the other hand, was the only one in Mavs. $195mil/20 yrs or $10mil/yr (imagine getting a $10mil/yr teammate a decade ago)
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

One ring is one ring. There are a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame who don't have one.

But the main point is that Dirk acted in his own self-interest. He didn't take less money for Cuban's sake, he did it so he could be surrounded by better team mates. And it's not like this saved Cuban money. It just meant the money was spent on other players

I'm not dissing Dirk for only having one ring its an accomplishment but he sacrified so he can get more and it didn't happen. It would be worth it if he could get more rings but he didn't
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

His play wasn't max level worthy all of those seasons though. Who else woulda given him a max, outside of Dallas, the past 3 years?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
His play wasn't max level worthy all of those seasons though. Who else woulda given him a max, outside of Dallas, the past 3 years?

That's right. Here's what the article says:

Quote:
If we assume Nowitzki would not have opted out of the max deal early, his next contract would have come in 2014 and he would have been eligible for a five-year, $239 million max contract through the 2018-19 season. Instead, Nowitzki signed a three-year, $25 million contract in 2014, a one-year $25 million deal in 2016, and the latest contract that runs through 2018-19.

Not only is it crazy to think that anyone would have given Dirk a five-year max contract at age 35, but such a contract would have collided with the over-38 rule in the CBA. Dirk did take a pay cut, but not at the magnitude suggested by the article.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Dirk probably wouldn't be a Mav if he elected to take max money at his age. Theres loyalty and then theres common sense. I don't believe Cuban would pay him a max contract at this point in his career.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Cuban will take care of him once he retires. Give him an ownership stake, a coaching gig, or some obscurely titled executive position. Dirk will get his $$$ for a long time after he's done playing ball.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Cuban will take care of him once he retires. Give him an ownership stake, a coaching gig, or some obscurely titled executive position. Dirk will get his $$$ for a long time after he's done playing ball.

You can't give a former player an ownership stake or a position with a salary that is higher than is normal for that position. That is salary cap circumvention 101. The NBA cracked down on that sort of thing long ago.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

I dont know what the Mavs situation was but if you are over the cap already (like with the Warriors) then taking less money doesnt help the team get better players it just softens the luxury tax hit for the billionaire owners
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

Dirk is an idiot. He continually acts like he owes Cuban and keeps taking pay cuts.

Why? It's not like the Mavs are about to land a big time FA to put them over the top and compete with the Warriors.

Mavs haven't landed a big time FA in awhile. That's not what they do. It's not Dirk or Mark's fault. It is what it is.

But to keep taking pay cuts for an owner who typically won't put a competitive team on the floor? You're an idiot Dirk.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Ted wrote:

You can't give a former player an ownership stake or a position with a salary that is higher than is normal for that position. That is salary cap circumvention 101. The NBA cracked down on that sort of thing long ago.

What if Mickey Arison gives Wade an endorsement contract with Carnival Cruises for $10/m after he retires? Or James Dolan gives a consulting job to Melo with MSG after retirement? How would they monitor such a thing? Is this just like the NCAA cracking down on boosters paying students?

Some people think that Klay Thompson is doing that now with his insane endorsement deal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: