PJ Dozier thread - (signed with mavs, p9. the player, not the thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Well I watched the video recap of his college play (at SBnation) and he looks good.

* He looks like he is a high energy player that does not quit on defense and on screens.

* He has a great inside game and is not afraid to drive to the basket, this is something the Lakers have really needed in recent years, someone who can drive in and get the other teams front line in foul trouble.

* He seems to be a decent passer with a knack for finding the open guy, this would be huge if he can drive into the paint and hit Nance slashing in to the basket.

* Outside shooting and 3pt shooting, is not so great, but if he can drive and pop it out, then it's no problem, we just can't be successful with a guard that misses nearly 70% of his 3pt attempts...

Hope he makes the team...!

What this team REALLY needs is for some of these young guys to step up and show they are legit NBA players....then we are not wringing our hands so much at ever free agent that chooses to play somewhere else.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

Dozier has to ‘run through that door’ with Lakers

Quote:
"I think it’s a good place for him. Luke Walton wants to play fast,” Martin said. “PJ in the open court is real good. His style of play fits and he’s a big guard. If you’re a big guard there is a door to stay open for you. It’s up to him to run through it.”

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Article/Former-South-Carolina-Gamecocks-guard-PJ-Dozier-will-begin-caree-53428478
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

I honestly think all 5 rookies will make the 17 man roster at worst. If this kid can duplicate a young Corey Brewer on D, that would be great.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

How is his shooting?

He's probably on the 17 man roster, 2 way to the G League.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
How is his shooting?

Not good, but I agree that he will probably be on the 17 man roster via a two-way contract (defense/energy).
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
How is his shooting?

Not good, but I agree that he will probably be on the 17 man roster via a two-way contract (defense/energy).

Yep. But at least this kid can handle. Brewer made a journeyman's career out of not being to shoot or handle, but play defense with length. So this kid has a higher ceiling.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
How is his shooting?

Yep. But at least this kid can handle. Brewer made a journeyman's career out of not being to shoot or handle, but play defense with length. So this kid has a higher ceiling.

True, that's why I feel that he will make it in the long run.
kjdd22
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I got his domain name if anyone is interested. PJDozier.com
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

PJ Dozier will be one to watch tonight.
With a 6'11" wingspan he will help bolster the defense.
I expect Dozier to have a good Summer League run.
If he develops an outside shot he could prove to be a steal because of his well-rounded game.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

Did he even play? Don't remember seeing him
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Nah he didn't play.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

Any word as to why we didn't see him? Maybe just trying out some of the older guys early to see if they're worth a look for 15 man roster perhaps?
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

Why the hell are we playing Travis Wear, Vander Blue, and this Robinson Caruso guy over Dozier? I was really looking forward to watching him
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

kjdd22 wrote:

It's called cyber-squatting.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
kjdd22 wrote:

It's called cyber-squatting.

Is that anything like a Hoboken Squat Cobbler?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Well I watched the video recap of his college play (at SBnation) and he looks good.

* He looks like he is a high energy player that does not quit on defense and on screens.

* He has a great inside game and is not afraid to drive to the basket, this is something the Lakers have really needed in recent years, someone who can drive in and get the other teams front line in foul trouble.

* He seems to be a decent passer with a knack for finding the open guy, this would be huge if he can drive into the paint and hit Nance slashing in to the basket.

* Outside shooting and 3pt shooting, is not so great, but if he can drive and pop it out, then it's no problem, we just can't be successful with a guard that misses nearly 70% of his 3pt attempts...

What this team REALLY needs is for some of these young guys to step up and show they are legit NBA players....then we are not wringing our hands so much at ever free agent that chooses to play somewhere else.

he's up next.

then go back and watch the other guys brick.

if he's not a shooter, and you put him thru this kind of test which tires you out and of course your shot starts to die with your legs dying. yet this guy is still making 3's the entire time. It means he can shoot, he may not take a lot of them. he needs to practice more often and make that a real part of his game. This is possibly what the lakers saw.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

he's up next.

if he's not a shooter, and you put him thru this kind of test which tires you out and of course your shot starts to die with your legs dying. yet this guy is still making 3's the entire time. It means he can shoot, he may not take a lot of them. he needs to practice more often and make that a real part of his game. This is possibly what the lakers saw.

This. I hope PJ Dozier gets some minutes today....
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

he's up next.

This. I hope PJ Dozier gets some minutes today....

CO-SIGN!
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Nah he didn't play.

Buechler should have played him instead of that garbage Carusso. All those garbage Dleaguers like Wear, Blue. Why even give exposure to those who won't even make the team?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't think he got his fair shake tonight. Not happy about Jud's fascination with d-league talent (see Blue and Wear starting last game). Dozier needs to play more to make less mistakes. Some of it was nerves but he'll shake it off with more PT.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Nah he didn't play.

Buechler should have played him instead of that garbage Carusso. All those garbage Dleaguers like Wear, Blue. Why even give exposure to those who won't even make the team?

Agree. DoZier looked rough tonight, played almost too sped up. Then was just benched. This is the time to let the kid play though. Watched blue, wear, and Caruso in two games make some boneheaded plays but they get to keep playing.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Math wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Math wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Jc probably isn't to secure right now after last night

Same with Jules.

Pelinka:

1. we want 2 max in 2018 (so no JC/Jules b/c of 25m salary/cap hold in 2018)

2. culture change

3. drafting 3/D players who move the ball, high character (Jules is high character).

Can't we sign the 2nd max guy first and then go over the cap to sign Jules?

Unlikely. Cutting Jules/JC for $0 back, stretching Deng, we will have around 70m. Having Jules' 12m cap hold precludes the 2 max pipe dream.

He would be an FA but we would have his Bird rights, yeah? I'm just asking if it's possible to go 2 max and then sign Randle, going over the cap.

No. He has a cap hold. So the 12m cap hold counts against our available cap space. I'm assuming both max players want a max to join a 30 win Laker team, so that'll require close to 70m in cap space. Jules's cap hold cuts that down by 12m so now we have something like 58m to share b/w 2 max players, asking them to take 5-10m/year paycuts. Not happening.

the truth is. i wouldnt give any so called max guy thats availiable aside from bron(i dont want him on my lakers personally.)

PG13 isnt all team nba 1st team. that means what? that means sorry PG you aint getting THE MAX.

Sorry A.davis you can't win enough games on your own with all your pretty stat lines. you are not a MAX GUY plus i dont know if you will be available due to injuries.

Cousins. too much of a head case. aint no way i'm giving you the max.

westbrook mr mvp. but at the same time you're mr mvp because you are so ball dominant no on else on your team had a chance to do anything else but set screens and make a couple of baskets here and there. westbrook controlled teh ball more than a legendary pg. so he should've had a triple double. and he cant shoot the 3 to save his life. you can't have a hole in your game thats as large as that when you're not a giant sized guy like bron.
sorry Westbrook.

no max for you either. but you will get paid a lot of money by the lakers.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

Time to let this kid play, I want to see what he can do. The other guys we've been putting out there off the bench have been horrible.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

If I am Dozier, I am pissed at my agent.....to be the #1 undrafted FA signed, then to only get 3 minutes of play in the first two games.....no way he signed with Lakers if he thought this was the result.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
If I am Dozier, I am pissed at my agent.....to be the #1 undrafted FA signed, then to only get 3 minutes of play in the first two games.....no way he signed with Lakers if he thought this was the result.

lol he got what he got. there is a reason why he went undrafted
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: