Thunder’s end game with Paul George could help Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
That's insane

Just trying to stir (bleep) up. Ignore.

Yes, realism isn't allowed here
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
If Paul George decides that he wants to spend the rest of his career in L.A., is willing to bet on himself and sacrifice a little bit of security, and the Lakers can convince Presti to trade Paul George and all of a sudden the Lakers could have a ton more money in 2018 than most people expected.

A package around Ball or Ingram might get it done

That's insane

I agree. I read that three times because I couldn't believe what I was reading.
mantlehog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
That's insane

Nothing realistic about that scenario. There is no precedent for that kind of package (See trades of Boogie, Paul, Butler, etc, etc)
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
That's insane

Clearly idiocy like your post is however.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

Don't see why OkC would do this unless they want to lose Westbrook too
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Don't see why OkC would do this unless they want to lose Westbrook too

If George tells them he's leaving.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

I doubt George tells OKC he's leaving. At this point that would be very bad for his reputation.

If Paul George tries to pull stuff like that now he could be seen as a team and locker room cancer. That wouldn't be a very "high character" thing to do, especially if the team is being successful.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
So an article based on LA radio stations. Why?

Basically they're saying PG13 can do was CP3 did. Tell OKC he's leaving to go to LA, and then opt-in to his deal to preserve his bird rights and get traded to LA.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I doubt George tells OKC he's leaving. At this point that would be very bad for his reputation.

If Paul George tries to pull stuff like that now he could be seen as a team and locker room cancer. That wouldn't be a very "high character" thing to do, especially if the team is being successful.

If you're a GM, would you rather a guy say "hey, heads up I'm leaving after this year, so trade me now if you want to get something for me, up to you". Or the guy that wont say anything and ends up leaving. Personally, I don't think that's a bad indicator of character. I certainly wish Dwight had done that

This of course assumes PG has his mind made up by the trade deadline.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Really? In essence he's helping OKC gets pieces back rather than losing him for nothing.

The way he left Indiana is way worse for his reputation than leaving OKC. A lot of people already think he's as good as gone.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
MJST wrote:

If you're a GM, would you rather a guy say "hey, heads up I'm leaving after this year, so trade me now if you want to get something for me, up to you". Or the guy that wont say anything and ends up leaving. Personally, I don't think that's a bad indicator of character. I certainly wish Dwight had done that

It's a bad indicator of character because you're on a winning team with the MVP that averaged a triple double, on pace to win a 50+ game season and you're going to the GM talking about you want to go to a 30 win team instead and that situation isn't good enough for you?

Considering what that does to team chemistry, takes attention away from the season, and ultimately throws off whatever else was planned? If you're a GM you'd hate that player and if you were his teammates at his last two stops you'd strongly dislike him too.

You only see it as a positive because he would come to the Lakers.

But imagine if we traded pieces for DeMarcus Cousins, and our entire season was turning around and doing well but in the middle of it he came to you and went "honestly I'd like to go back to the Kings. Yeah this just isn't good enough for me." and then when you tried to trade him to the Kings they don't offer anything because they have the leverage, and no other team in the league will take him because then he's seen as a problem.

What would you think of him then?

that's essentially what Paul George would be doing to the Thunder, and DURING a successful season. There's nothing high character or good about doing that to your team and if anything it would show how much of a leader he isn't.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
scoobs wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Clarkson and Randle are worse than Oladipo and Sabonis. I dont see why they do that. I guess Iwould include Zubac, but do they really need another center?

Oladipo is better than JC, but his contract is god awful. And I take Randle over Sabonis all day.
Yeah, that is true about Oladipos contract. But, I like Sabonis better. Hopefully OKC would accept an offer of Randle, Clarkson, Zubac, Hart, 2018 2nd, 2019 2nd and 2020 1st for PG13.
Forget the deadline, lets do this right now. Maybe OKC would just prefer that package over the players that they traded for PG13. Maybe that was their motivation the whole time? Maybe they have buyers remourse? Maybe PG13s people are in his ear telling them to trade him?

I doubt that OKC wants to make the playoffs this season, and wants to keep Westbrook too thus why they will hold on to George.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
MJST wrote:

It's a bad indicator of character because you're on a winning team with the MVP that averaged a triple double, on pace to win a 50+ game season and you're going to the GM talking about you want to go to a 30 win team instead and that situation isn't good enough for you?

Considering what that does to team chemistry, takes attention away from the season, and ultimately throws off whatever else was planned? If you're a GM you'd hate that player and if you were his teammates at his last two stops you'd strongly dislike him too.

You only see it as a positive because he would come to the Lakers.

But imagine if we traded pieces for DeMarcus Cousins, and our entire season was turning around and doing well but in the middle of it he came to you and went "honestly I'd like to go back to the Kings. Yeah this just isn't good enough for me." and then when you tried to trade him to the Kings they don't offer anything because they have the leverage, and no other team in the league will take him because then he's seen as a problem.

What would you think of him then?

that's essentially what Paul George would be doing to the Thunder, and DURING a successful season. There's nothing high character or good about doing that to your team and if anything it would show how much of a leader he isn't.

Yeah, but they knew damn well when they traded for him that he wants to go to the Lakers. And they got him for next to nothing.

I'm sure they'd hate him, but they'd also hate him if he left in free agency.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
scoobs wrote:
scoobs wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Clarkson and Randle are worse than Oladipo and Sabonis. I dont see why they do that. I guess Iwould include Zubac, but do they really need another center?

Oladipo is better than JC, but his contract is god awful. And I take Randle over Sabonis all day.
Yeah, that is true about Oladipos contract. But, I like Sabonis better. Hopefully OKC would accept an offer of Randle, Clarkson, Zubac, Hart, 2018 2nd, 2019 2nd and 2020 1st for PG13.
Forget the deadline, lets do this right now. Maybe OKC would just prefer that package over the players that they traded for PG13. Maybe that was their motivation the whole time? Maybe they have buyers remourse? Maybe PG13s people are in his ear telling them to trade him?

I doubt that OKC wants to make the playoffs this season, and wants to keep Westbrook too thus why they will hold on to George.

Yes, push for a top 4 seed in the West and hope that Westbrook can convince George to stay.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
scoobs wrote:
scoobs wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
scoobs wrote:

Yes, push for a top 4 seed in the West and hope that Westbrook can convince George to stay.

Then get slapped by the Warriors in the 2nd round.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
If Paul George decides that he wants to spend the rest of his career in L.A., is willing to bet on himself and sacrifice a little bit of security, and the Lakers can convince Presti to trade Paul George and all of a sudden the Lakers could have a ton more money in 2018 than most people expected.

A package around Ball or Ingram might get it done

That's insane

I agree. I read that three times because I couldn't believe what I was reading.

I think OP is talking about CP3 type post verbal agreement trade that instead of outright signing UFA PG, we try to open up cap space by unloading some contract to OKC (giving them assets)... doesn't mean it has to be Ball or Ingram, more likely JC, Zubac, Picks, current rookies or even Randle
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: