OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 547, 548, 549 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
defense wrote:
I know you guys will probably hate me for this but does it seem like Brandon likes isoing a bit too much? Even last season I thought to myself on more than a few occasions, "make the simple play".

He's nothing but coachable so I assume this is partially by design. Any NBA offense is going to need someone that can score in isolation. With DLo and Lou gone, that burden falls largely on Ingram. No better way than to develop those skills/mentality than trying it out during a game.

I do think he pounds the dribble a bit, but I think that's a function of his body, not mentality. Ingram strikes me as a quick worker - he likes to get them ball and go - so any pounding I think comes from an inability to shoulder past his man, not a flawed thought process or poor reading of the defense.

Yea I hear you, and agree that he is extremely coachable. It was just something I noticed about his game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe would have told Magic or West to F off. Agree or not, that is the player he was. But to get back on topic, I have no issue with shutting Ingram down but if they are that concerned, shut him down completely until he heals. It is July, there will be plenty of time to practice.

Lol...second year Kobe? No he wouldn't have. He would've thought it and probably would've wanted to say it, but he hadn't earned the status to say "F you" to anyone in the FO in his second year yet.

Way to miss out on the conversation.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I know you guys will probably hate me for this but does it seem like Brandon likes isoing a bit too much? Even last season I thought to myself on more than a few occasions, "make the simple play".

If you're not a good catch/shooter , you're probably going to try to ISO to get points...
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

That's how most young guys come into the league(except Lonzo of course.) They don't know much about the game of basketball so they fall back onto what they've been doing their whole lives, ISO ball.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
defense wrote:

If you're not a good catch/shooter , you're probably going to try to ISO to get points...

He didn't force it tho, his first step was beating the defender consistently
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
defense wrote:

He's nothing but coachable so I assume this is partially by design. Any NBA offense is going to need someone that can score in isolation. With DLo and Lou gone, that burden falls largely on Ingram. No better way than to develop those skills/mentality than trying it out during a game.

I do think he pounds the dribble a bit, but I think that's a function of his body, not mentality. Ingram strikes me as a quick worker - he likes to get them ball and go - so any pounding I think comes from an inability to shoulder past his man, not a flawed thought process or poor reading of the defense.

I do see BI iso'ing but it doesn't feel forced to me, the way it does with someone like Melo.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
defense wrote:

He didn't force it tho, his first step was beating the defender consistently

And it wasn't like Tatum where he dribbled the varnish off the side of the floor. I do understand defense's point, though. I think as long he's the only guy doing it in the starting lineup it's manageable, and wont totally kill ball movement.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Brandon's one on one plays the other game were completely within the offense. He wasn't a ball stopper. The larger problem is off the Ball movement. Because there is less structure in summer league and less familiarity between teammates, the play also lends itself to isolation. That gets better as they play more games, but it is what it is.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone catch BI's interview with Ramona during the 4th quarter yesterday? Kid sounds way more confident than last year, even a bit cocky in a good way. I'll admit I was a little worried about how much of an alpha he had in him because of his tendency to defer so much and disappear earlier in the season, and also his quiet/timid nature, but all that has gone out the window lately. He keeps saying he's going back to his ways, whatever that means. Can't wait till he works out with Kobe, takes his trash talking to the next level, and starts dropping lines about leopards falling out of trees and such
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I would like to see Luke move him around both to set screens and to get to opens spots this season. The isolation is not a bad thing in itself but movement helps to make for a much more dynamic offense IMO. Also, similar to Randle, I want to see him get out on the break quickly. I'm sure we will see some of that this season (I hope).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Brandon's one on one plays the other game were completely within the offense. He wasn't a ball stopper. The larger problem is off the Ball movement. Because there is less structure in summer league and less familiarity between teammates, the play also lends itself to isolation. That gets better as they play more games, but it is what it is.

Agreed and even with that, I think he showed flashes of being a strong finisher and a potential closer because he was not afraid to stay on the attack. This kid's confidence level is soaring.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Sixers gonna regret not taking him with the #1 pick
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

He's gonna be the best player from that draft easily
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Agreed and even with that, I think he showed flashes of being a strong finisher and a potential closer because he was not afraid to stay on the attack. This kid's confidence level is soaring.

I think he was given the go ahead to play like that. He's really the only one on that squad who can fill that role.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Yeah I thought the same thing. But I think it'll be invaluable as he learns to harness that into a more egalitarian style of play.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I don't think they'll regret picking Simmons over Ingram.

They'll regret picking Okafor over Porzingis.

I think if the Sixers had drafted Porzingis, the next move they should have made was a future 1st in 2018 and the late 1st in 2017 to us for D'Angelo Russell if they were still keen on trading him. If the Lakers bit on that, then the 76ers lineup this season would be

D'Angelo Russell
Markelle Fultz
Ben Simmons
Kristaps Porzingis
Joel Embiid

Which would be frightening.

but fortunately the Sixers didn't draft Porzingis
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
governator wrote:

I don't think they'll regret picking Simmons over Ingram.

They'll regret picking Okafor over Porzingis.

I think if the Sixers had drafted Porzingis, the next move they should have made was a future 1st in 2018 and the late 1st in 2017 to us for D'Angelo Russell if they were still keen on trading him. If the Lakers bit on that, then the 76ers lineup this season would be

D'Angelo Russell
Markelle Fultz
Ben Simmons
Kristaps Porzingis
Joel Embiid

Which would be frightening.

but fortunately the Sixers didn't draft Porzingis

Nah, they gonna regret not taking Ingram #1, Lonzo #1, Randle #3, did I miss anybody?
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
defense wrote:

Yeah I thought the same thing. But I think it'll be invaluable as he learns to harness that into a more egalitarian style of play.

i thought ingram made the right plays, and passed/moved the ball when he needed to. i just feel like in summer league, if he has a mismatch, which would probably be most of the time, he should take over. if he was missing the shots or taking bad ones he'd probably adjust since he's a team first guy. i dont expect him to be iso'ing as much in the regular season, but for right now in summer league.. he needs to develop that killer instinct and take advantage of the matchup(which should be the right play)
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Magic Johnson On Lakers’ Brandon Ingram: ‘This Is A Guy We’re Gonna Build Around’

Quote:
Kristian Winfield ✔ @Krisplashed
Magic Johnson on Brandon Ingram: "This is a guy we're gonna build around. This is a guy we feel has All-Star potential."

http://www.lakersnation.com/magic-johnson-on-lakers-brandon-ingram-this-is-a-guy-were-gonna-build-around/2017/07/09/
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I love the vote of confidence from Brandon Ingram, dude's gonna show out this season
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
defense wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. Also with BI he doesn't usually pound the rock. He'll get isolated and make a quick move.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

#StayInYoLane wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
defense wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. Also with BI he doesn't usually pound the rock. He'll get isolated and make a quick move.

And you still need elite ISO players in the game today. When defenses tighten up and take away all other options, it's essential to have a guy who can create his own shot. Given that this is summer league, I was fine with watching him showcase and develop his one-on-one scoring ability.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
#StayInYoLane wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
defense wrote:

And you still need elite ISO players in the game today. When defenses tighten up and take away all other options, it's essential to have a guy who can create his own shot. Given that this is summer league, I was fine with watching him showcase and develop his one-on-one scoring ability.

Yup. That IMO is what makes GS so deadly. They are a ball movement first team but have some phenomenal ISO players who can score when needed in Curry and Durant.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
#StayInYoLane wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
defense wrote:

I guess in some cases that's true. but Ingram doesn't pass up wide open shots to iso.. And if he is iso'ing it's the coaches encouraging him to do it. So his shot has nothing to do with him iso'ing.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
defense wrote:

It's a combination of Brandon being more comfortable in the triple threat than spot up, and Lonzo not being a pick and roll guard. Even in Chino Hills their half court go to was Gelo iso'ing in the mid post. Still, when the regular season starts I'd probably rather see an Ingram ISO than a Randle ISO or a Clarkson pick and shoot. Hope they run more set plays in the half court too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 547, 548, 549 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 548 of 1885
Jump to: