Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
The disappointing part about Luke is the assistants he has chosen among other things.

yes i don't like it either. it looks like reunion or something.

not a single guy with decent credibility like Ron Adams or other good assistants

Seems like you're engaged in hyperbole. Who, specifically, on our coaching staff is looked at by any source you've found as lacking credibility? If you're going to make a statement like that, please provide some factual support (other than just citing to nepotism).

What are you talking about?

There were better defensive options who we didn't even try to get. I don't remember their names but I know 1 went to raptors and other to Houston
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

There's a lot to not like about Luke's coaching style, a lot of which we went over during the season last year. But I agree that his choice of assistants is particularly suspect. I know most coaches hire their buddies or people close to them, but Luke kind of went overboard there.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
You can never trust what comes out of Russian media. But even if it's true I'm glad the FO made the decision to make the trade.

Uhm this is basketball, not politics. Also those words are literally coming out of Mozgov's mouth
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject:

You can have buddies who are good assistant coaches and that seems to be Mermuys' case, at least he had a respectable career before joining Luke's staff.

The name that really bothers me in the staff is Jud Buechler. His experience with basketball coaching between retiring as a player (2003) and being hired by the Lakers (2016): none, zero, zip, zilch, ninguna. What in seven hells is he doing over there?

Besides that, I have two concerns: defense and shooting. Our terrible defense last season wasn't just because of players, but we had no defensive system. That's the coach job and having a respectable defensive coordinator would have helped. I'd like to have an expert shooting coach around, as it's something most of our players have to develop.

I'm not a Brian Shaw's fan, but I understand his role in the staff. Brian Keefe is our best asset over there and Casey Owens earned his spot. Not sure about Madsen, though.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject:

About Luke, he showed some positives and negatives, but his balance for a rookie year was OK. I really want to see improvements in terms of defense and rotations. He avoided some rotations that were very good in the short period they were in court, stuck to some terrible ones and made too many hockey-subs.

He only showed some flexibility when he had players shut down and some injuries. Although the second unit worked well for some time, it's not good in the long term having your units playing such different styles of basketball.

And, as much as he didn't have great defenders, a lot of a team's defense is about system and we were completely lost in that end. It's not just that we were the worst defensive team last year. We were among the worst in the last decade.

He's not on the hot seat by now, but if he doesn't show clear improvements as a sophomore, his credits will be over.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject:

I didn't like his offense and I didn't like his defense.

What I liked was that he's got everyone buying into whatever they're doing and playing as a team. And if summer league is anything to go off, passing is becoming a very important part of the team that everyone will do. This is important because offensively it means we become hard to predict, but also defensively because if everyone is involved then everyone becomes excited and will spend more effort and energy on defense

But what I really don't like about the offense is that there are so many times when players are just standing around, and there is also too much passing at the top of the three point line, near half court. Those passes are too slow and never seemed to get anything going
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/885617877948039168

luke on zach lowe podcast today

talks about zo, dlo, kobe-shaq, & more
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

We better see some improvement in Luke's defense this year. The honeymoon is over.
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
We better see some improvement in Luke's defense this year. The honeymoon is over.

Agreed. Who is in charge of the defense right now? Bshaw?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

#StayInYoLane wrote:
32 wrote:

Agreed. Who is in charge of the defense right now? Bshaw?

I think so.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Yesterday the team allowed 100 points in 40 frickin minutes. It took an MVP performance by Lonzo to win the game.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Yesterday the team allowed 100 points in 40 frickin minutes. It took an MVP performance by Lonzo to win the game.

Chill. It was Summer League, which is basically a glorified pick up basketball game.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

It's the damn summer league. Expecting guys who are 1 step from not even being G league level players to play defense consistently is ridiculously not realistic.
RJ_LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Luke is getting the team he wants, and they're playing that style he's been preaching. With Lonzo leading the team to the playoffs, he's going to get coach of the year next year.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Silver Screen & Roll‏Verified account
@LakersSBN
Follow
More
Luke Walton says he hopes D’Angelo Russell ‘kicks our butts’ https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/7/13/15969124/la-lakers-trade-news-luke-walton-dangelo-russell-kicks-our-butts-lonzo-ball-magic-johnson-lowe-post?utm_campaign=silverscreenandroll&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Quote:
@LakersSBN
Follow
More
Luke Walton says he hopes D’Angelo Russell ‘kicks our butts’ https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/7/13/15969124/la-lakers-trade-news-luke-walton-dangelo-russell-kicks-our-butts-lonzo-ball-magic-johnson-lowe-post?utm_campaign=silverscreenandroll&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

He also said "I hope he gets it." in his interview with Lowe.. hmm
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Quote:
@LakersSBN
Follow
More

I thought he sounded like he wasn't cool with the trade actually
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Quote:
@LakersSBN
Follow
More

Maybe, it's hard to infer what his whole stance on it is - but he expressed his emotional attachment to Dlo and the young guys - that's one aspect of it.. yea
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Quote:
@LakersSBN
Follow
More

This is the impression I got when I was psychoanalyzing his body language in the war room on draft night when the selection was made
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
32 wrote:

Chill. It was Summer League, which is basically a glorified pick up basketball game.

Right. It's not like these teams have implemented any extensive system on either end. There isn't anything close to enough time to do that during SL.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

Luke wanted the Ball/DLO/Ingram trio too
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Quote:
@LakersSBN
Follow
More

This is the impression I got when I was psychoanalyzing his body language in the war room on draft night when the selection was made

Not to mention a slight twitching of the left eyelid and rise in internal body temperature that could be seen on infrared.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

You do know that Luke wasn't coaching. Right? And Brian Shaw, who you think is the defensive coach, but really have no clue, wasn't coaching either. And many of the players in the game won't be on a NBA roster.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

You do know that Luke wasn't coaching. Right? And Brian Shaw, who you think is the defensive coach, but really have no clue, wasn't coaching either. And many of the players in the game won't be on a NBA roster.

I know Luke wasn't coaching. Stop with your b******* comments.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Luke wanted the Ball/DLO/Ingram trio too

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 307 of 818
Jump to: