View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
nickuku wrote:
These fights should go on until one guy gets KOed

They stopped doing that for the health of the fighters. People used to die in the ring or get long term brain damage.

I don't recall that ever happening in any official capacity in the last century. You'd have to go back literally to the mid 1800s for that sorta thing and that's not even the boxing of today at that point.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

The point is that they went to to 12 rounds because people died in the ring. There used to be no limits, then 20 rounds, then 15, then 12. Joe Louis fought when there was such thing as a 20 round fight, Ali fought in 15 round fights, etc. For boxers health, having shorter fights has gone a long way to protect their long term health and also a side effect is that there is this thing called a rematch in case matches aren't resolved after 12 rounds, which is a pretty lucrative option in terms of PPV.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

I hope nobody buys this garbage. Or else we'll keep getting garbage like this. At this point Mayweather is just fleecing you suckers out there. His last fight was a joke, this will be even worse.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

McGregor is going to knock out Mayweather inside 11 rounds.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Did you think Manny beat him?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

Have you seen the side by side training videos? In the words of Heisenberg, it looks like "little league vs the New York Yankees"
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Your reasoning???
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Your reasoning???

Maybe it's like Lavar Ball willing Lonzo onto the Lakers? I certainly would love to see McGregor just flatten Mayweather though.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Did you think Manny beat him?
oh boy dont you start this. lol
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
I don't see why Mayweather can't knock him out since this should be the least experienced boxer he has fought in his 49 fights. The guys he beat on boring decisions were far more experienced boxers and sometimes were even world champions.

Nobody would have ever done this against Tyson 20-30 years ago. They would have been worried that Tyson would literally kill them.

Dude, a chin is a chin. There is no such thing as training a chin. At alll. Just because McGregor hasn't boxed doesn't mean he hasn't been hit decidedly hit harder with 4 oz gloves than anything Floyd can put out in recent years. If anything puts McG out early it'll be because he gasses from exhaustion.

People don't think it's Floyd's power that will knock him out. It's that his opponent is essentially an amateur boxer who has never gone 12 rounds before and will eventually be unable to defend himself after eating 95% of the punches round after round.

I also think people here are overreacting to the Pacquiao fight. The Manny that Floyd fought on that night would destroy McGregor in a boxing match. Floyd had good reasons to be cautious with Manny. But this will be a MUCH easier opponent for him.
pacman might send McGregor to the hosptial after the fight. and I'm not even joking. mcgregor is lucky floyd doesnt hit too hard and isnt really about harming people but all about winning and getting that check.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I don't see why Mayweather can't knock him out since this should be the least experienced boxer he has fought in his 49 fights. The guys he beat on boring decisions were far more experienced boxers and sometimes were even world champions.

Nobody would have ever done this against Tyson 20-30 years ago. They would have been worried that Tyson would literally kill them.
tyson was a very hard hitting heavy weight.

mayweather is a smaller guy without knockout power with hands that break often and he's getting older. if McG has a chin. doesnt matter if he's not a boxer. a chin is a chin. he can take that beating and keep on ticking. i wouldnt advise it. but he could.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Press conference was today. Pretty entertaining.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

They stopped doing that for the health of the fighters. People used to die in the ring or get long term brain damage.

I don't recall that ever happening in any official capacity in the last century. You'd have to go back literally to the mid 1800s for that sorta thing and that's not even the boxing of today at that point.

Here are 10, most of whom were within the last 10-20 years.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

I thought it felt so fake even for boxing press conference standards. This is a money grab by all involved and I wouldnt be surprised if there is some kind of handshake agreement that May is to not completely thrash McG so it doesnt hurt his future marketability.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I thought it felt so fake even for boxing press conference standards. This is a money grab by all involved and I wouldnt be surprised if there is some kind of handshake agreement that May is to not completely thrash McG so it doesnt hurt his future marketability.

Floyd has no fear of McGregor. He spars with guys more dangerous than Conor. Also people forget but Floyd has a chin also. He got rocked by Sugar Shane, he got rocked by Maidana, never hit the canvas and came back and dominated both fights. So in the off chance the McGregor does land, it doesn't mean Floyd is going down.

Also, May is a genius in the ring. He knows how to roll with the punches. His shoulder roll and defensive shield is going to provide such a small target that Conor won't know what to do, he'll get frustrated, start getting wild. That's when Floyd will connect at will.

I think Floyd will start peppering McG's face all night long until his eyes swell and shut and the ref will be forced to stop the fight. And it's not out of the realm that Conor won't get knocked out. I think people are severely underestimating the difference in punching power between a world class all time GOAT boxer vs a UFC fighter who trains in multiple disciplines. Boxers train strictly to PUNCH. That's what they do. Don't be surprised by a knockout.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Floyd got everything he wanted for this fight especially 10 ounce gloves. I think McGregor knows he won't beat Floyd in his domain. But he is going to love all the money that he gets out of this.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Floyd has no fear of McGregor. He spars with guys more dangerous than Conor. Also people forget but Floyd has a chin also. He got rocked by Sugar Shane, he got rocked by Maidana, never hit the canvas and came back and dominated both fights. So in the off chance the McGregor does land, it doesn't mean Floyd is going down.

Also, May is a genius in the ring. He knows how to roll with the punches. His shoulder roll and defensive shield is going to provide such a small target that Conor won't know what to do, he'll get frustrated, start getting wild. That's when Floyd will connect at will.

I think Floyd will start peppering McG's face all night long until his eyes swell and shut and the ref will be forced to stop the fight. And it's not out of the realm that Conor won't get knocked out. I think people are severely underestimating the difference in punching power between a world class all time GOAT boxer vs a UFC fighter who trains in multiple disciplines. Boxers train strictly to PUNCH. That's what they do. Don't be surprised by a knockout.

I dont know if you quoted me by accident but I never said Floyd wouldnt be able to destroy McGregor. I just think there may be a handshake agreement involved where Floyd will take it easy on him.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Ted wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I dont know if you quoted me by accident but I never said Floyd wouldnt be able to destroy McGregor. I just think there may be a handshake agreement involved where Floyd will take it easy on him.

ya accident
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Here are 10, most of whom were within the last 10-20 years.

I'm not seeing hte link but I'm assuming it's to deaths in the ring. That wasn't that my point. My point was that boxing matches where it kepts going until one man died was the stuff of yesteryear. The deaths that have occured are the resuolt of trauma suffered during the alloted rounds. Tough living.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Any chance there will be a rematch in the octagon ?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:

If the money was right, I can see Floyd doing it. Gratned, th ere will be massive stipulations because unlike the sport of boxing, it'd be 1000000% closer to a real FIGHT and Floyd would literally be sent to the shadow realm if it was no hold's barred. We'd see a daeth in the ring. No amount of turtling is stopping a shin bone to the face. And width 4 inch gloves versus a shield like 10 oz? Christ...

If they stepped into the cage, it will be because Conor agreed to Floyd's massive list of concessions,....like shield like gloves, can't grab for X amount, can't head control while in the clinch (btw, boxing clinch is a (bleep) JOKE)...and one.

I'm buying this spectacle because it's an event. IT WILL NOT BE A REAL FIGHT. PERIOD.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

Floyd would never take a fight in the octagon no matter how much money because he has to be in control. He wouldn't want the world to watch him get humiliated and beat up. Under ufc rules and 4 oz gloves Conor would beat him in less than 30 seconds and Floyd would either quit or go to sleep.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

If the money was right, I can see Floyd doing it. Gratned, th ere will be massive stipulations because unlike the sport of boxing, it'd be 1000000% closer to a real FIGHT and Floyd would literally be sent to the shadow realm if it was no hold's barred. We'd see a daeth in the ring. No amount of turtling is stopping a shin bone to the face. And width 4 inch gloves versus a shield like 10 oz? Christ...

If they stepped into the cage, it will be because Conor agreed to Floyd's massive list of concessions,....like shield like gloves, can't grab for X amount, can't head control while in the clinch (btw, boxing clinch is a (bleep) JOKE)...and one.

I'm buying this spectacle because it's an event. IT WILL NOT BE A REAL FIGHT. PERIOD.

I'd say Floyd would demand upwards of 400mil to embarrass himself and his legacy like that. He can still get decent money doing very easy boxing matches if he needs more cash
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

He'd never step foot in an Octagon lol. This is like JB said, for spectacle and nothing more. I'll be watching lol.

I expect to see the fight get stopped due to Conor not being able to defend himself, but hey, anything can happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

One lucky punch. Do it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17
Jump to: