How many of these rookies can we sign?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilted Brim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: How many of these rookies can we sign?

So, there are a number of good rookies on this summer league team. How many spots do we have for them to compete for? I'm assuming Kuzma is a lock but is there anyone else that may be a lock?

-Samuel L. Jackson & Wyclef Jean Duet 2009 ESPY'S
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject:

Kuzma and Hart were first round picks so they are already under guaranteed contract.

PJ Dozier got a training camp invite but not a guaranteed contract. Bryant is a second rounder so he doesn't have a guaranteed contract either. We have 2 spots left for regular contracts and then the two spots for the new 2-way contracts

4 spots in all
Tilted Brim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Kuzma and Hart were first round picks so they are already under guaranteed contract.

PJ Dozier got a training camp invite but not a guaranteed contract. Bryant is a second rounder so he doesn't have a guaranteed contract either. We have 2 spots left for regular contracts and then the two spots for the new 2-way contracts

4 spots in all
Thank you for the insight Chron...

-Samuel L. Jackson & Wyclef Jean Duet 2009 ESPY'S
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject:

A reporter mentioned (Emplay?) that Lakers are looking at signing Bryant with cap money (3 years) rather than cap hold (2 years).

So looking very likely that Bryant is in. Also, we traded down to get him... we wouldn't have done that just for camp fodder.

Dozier is not looking good. He's not getting any PT at SL. He's a guaranteed camp invite but past that But I wouldn't rule out the Lakers guaranteeing him a 2-way deal with the way he signed with us so quickly.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
A reporter mentioned (Emplay?) that Lakers are looking at signing Bryant with cap money (3 years) rather than cap hold (2 years)....

What does that mean? What's the difference?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
A reporter mentioned (Emplay?) that Lakers are looking at signing Bryant with cap money (3 years) rather than cap hold (2 years).

So looking very likely that Bryant is in. Also, we traded down to get him... we wouldn't have done that just for camp fodder.

Dozier is not looking good. He's not getting any PT at SL. He's a guaranteed camp invite but past that But I wouldn't rule out the Lakers guaranteeing him a 2-way deal with the way he signed with us so quickly.

I think having an ankle injury has something to do with that. Did you not see him in street clothes?
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
twisted wrote:
A reporter mentioned (Emplay?) that Lakers are looking at signing Bryant with cap money (3 years) rather than cap hold (2 years)....

I'm no cap expert but this is how I understand it:

If we use cap money, we can sign him to a 3-year deal, 3rd year TO and 4th year qualifying. Much like Zubac's deal.

If we use cap hold, we can only sign a 2 year deal ( 2nd year could be TO) and 3rd qualifying. If I am not mistaken, Clarkson's deal was something like this because we did not have cap space at that time. Hence, Clarkson became a RFO on year 3.

By the way, I found the article:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-waive-david-nwaba-after-agreeing-to-terms-with-kentavious-caldwell-pope/2017/07/12/

Quote:
but they could also use the cap space created to give a long-term, team-friendly deal to impressive 42nd-overall pick Thomas Bryant

twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
twisted wrote:

I think having an ankle injury has something to do with that. Did you not see him in street clothes?

Did not know that, thanks. Am rooting for the kid.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
markjay wrote:
twisted wrote:

I'm no cap expert but this is how I understand it:

If we use cap money, we can sign him to a 3-year deal, 3rd year TO and 4th year qualifying. Much like Zubac's deal.

If we use cap hold, we can only sign a 2 year deal ( 2nd year could be TO) and 3rd qualifying. If I am not mistaken, Clarkson's deal was something like this because we did not have cap space at that time. Hence, Clarkson became a RFO on year 3.

By the way, I found the article:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-waive-david-nwaba-after-agreeing-to-terms-with-kentavious-caldwell-pope/2017/07/12/

Quote:
but they could also use the cap space created to give a long-term, team-friendly deal to impressive 42nd-overall pick Thomas Bryant

Great stuff! I didn't know this! Thanks for sharing, twisted
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
twisted wrote:

Dozier is very athletic . I've seen him showing off his dunks in the warmups and I'm quite impressed. But he need to to become a basketball player to carve an NBA career. A 3 and D would be an ideal for him. Hopefully the Lakers can put him in our DLeague and let him develop as one of our 2 Way contracts.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Right now we only have 12 Players under contracts that hit the cap, and 1 non-cap 2 way contract (Caruso). So we should have 3 open roster spots and 1 two way roster spot.

Under Contract - 15 Maximum
Brook Lopez
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Luol Deng
Jordan Clarkson
Corey Brewer
Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Larry Nance Jr.
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Ivica Zubac

Two-way Contract - 2 Maximum
Alex Caruso

Unsigned Draft Picks
Thomas Bryant

Camp Invite
PJ Dozier
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
twisted wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
twisted wrote:

Dozier is very athletic . I've seen him showing off his dunks in the warmups and I'm quite impressed. But he need to to become a basketball player to carve an NBA career. A 3 and D would be an ideal for him. Hopefully the Lakers can put him in our DLeague and let him develop as one of our 2 Way contracts.

unless he gets a roster contract or 2 Way deal, he will not be on our GLeague team because of new rule this year that disallows any player that is paid >$50K for a camp invite contract cannot play for the GLeague affiliate for 1 year if waived.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Bryant is the first candidate to the other 2-way contract IMHO.

So far only Hart has been a meh. If he were not a first rounder, he'd have a hard time making the team.

Too bad Dozier got injured fast and we could not see how he'd fit. Maybe he'll get a G-League contract?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:

Was this before we got KCP though?
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
twisted wrote:

Was this before we got KCP though?

I believe they can use the room exception. Might need to verify that though.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

4 spots in all

Helpful, thanks.
chazz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

I am sure liking Vander Blue quite a bit......Just a smooth scorer...I hope we can somehow keep him
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: