Can I make a suggestion?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should players have their own forum?
Yes, better way to organize topics related to the player.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
No, it would take too much away from the main forum.
89%
 89%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 19

Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Can I make a suggestion?

Instead of all these official threads for players. Why not give players their own forum? It's very hard to navigate through 1000 page single threads and a lot of good points get lost in the mix. I'm curious what others think.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject:

Player threads help keep things organized, but it can definitely be hard to get into the discussion when you don't know what's the latest. Imo every player thread should have their thread title updated as often as possible, pointing to the page number of a posted article or tweet that is being discussed. This way it's easy to get into the "news", while keeping it organized.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Player threads help keep things organized, but it can definitely be hard to get into the discussion when you don't know what's the latest. Imo every player thread should have their thread title updated as often as possible, linking to the page number of whatever new article or tweet is being discussed.

But by it's nature a forum would eliminate the need to do that. When events/topics come up they become a thread. And as they become less relevant they die. Updating the topic is a bit of a hack.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't have a problem with it. But, I doubt it would end up being used much. People here tend to entirely ignore the purpose of sub-forums aside from the Lounge. Just look at how much free agency, trades and draft discussion is always here instead of *gasp* the Trade and Free Agency Discussion section. Another example is the mods constantly have to move or merge new topics over to the General Basketball Discussion section because people post non-Lakers stuff without thinking twice.

Side note: I appreciate everything the mods do to keep things sane around here.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
I wouldn't have a problem with it. But, I doubt it would end up being used much. People here tend to entirely ignore the purpose of sub-forums aside from the Lounge. Just look at how much free agency, trades and draft discussion is always here instead of *gasp* the Trade and Free Agency Discussion section. Another example is the mods constantly have to move or merge new topics over to the General Basketball Discussion section because people post non-Lakers stuff without thinking twice.

Side note: I appreciate everything the mods do to keep things sane around here.

I do agree that it's quite a bit of a change. People want to talk about the players, right? It would take some getting used to but I believe in the long run it would make LG much more efficient and condition users to use the sub-threads.

The benefits are:
Allows for users unique perspectives to be discussed.
Better indexing for SEO of content generated from this website.
Faster performance when many users are online.

It would be the moderators burden to implement such a change, I hope they consider it.

Steps to take. Effort.. 20 minutes

There's an Open Discussion Section

1. Add a Players Section
2. Add Lonzo Ball, our rookies and vets!
3. Moderators refer player specific topics to their forum.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject:

I think it's fine the way it is but I do wish two things.

1) If there is an update to the thread title referencing a page number, clickinv that page number will take you to that page. Sometimes, there will be an update mentioned on page 276 but the thread goes nuts and its on oage 288 already.

2) Clicking the thread title takes you to the last page of the thread, not the first once the thread has reached a certain number of pages (or once you have read the thread already)
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

official threads for individual players is a nice idea in theory, but ultimately it is a less than ideal way of organizing a discussion forum. The discussions themselves are less organized than they used to be, when individual ideas had their own threads and you could decide whether or not you're interested in reading it based on the title alone. Now you have to basically scan every post. Readers have to comb through them with a fine toothed comb, and it makes the forum less dynamic and less enjoyable to read than it used to be imo.

I don't like the idea of having a sub-forum for individual players, though. Perhaps within the official threads, individual topics of discussion could have their own titles. That would make getting through the threads a lot easier, if each post had a title/topic name associated with it.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
official threads for individual players is a nice idea in theory, but ultimately it is a less than ideal way of organizing a discussion forum. The discussions themselves are less organized than they used to be, when individual ideas had their own threads and you could decide whether or not you're interested in reading it based on the title alone. Now you have to basically scan every post. Readers have to comb through them with a fine toothed comb, and it makes the forum less dynamic and less enjoyable to read than it used to be imo.

I don't like the idea of having a sub-forum for individual players, though. Perhaps within the official threads, individual topics of discussion could have their own titles. That would make getting through the threads a lot easier, if each post had a title/topic name associated with it.

I just noticed that there already is a "post subject" in the information bar above every post. It's blank for all posts other than the OP. If there was a way to give individual "post topics" to different posts within the official threads, that would increase make it a lot easier to get through the threads without having to read every post.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

These official threads work because they are in a centralized location in the Lounge. Have you seen the amount of traffic in other sub-forum areas? GBD doesn't get the same traffic compared to the Lounge. Then in LG Neighborhood, NBA Summer League, and User Feedback, it's crickets.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: who reads subject lines?

dao wrote:
dao wrote:

I just noticed that there already is a "post subject" in the information bar above every post. It's blank for all posts other than the OP. If there was a way to give individual "post topics" to different posts within the official threads, that would increase make it a lot easier to get through the threads without having to read every post.
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Player Sub-Threads Within the Lounge

I'm not sure what I think here...

While I'm not a fan of the "OFFICIAL" everything threads around the Lounge, I'm highly sympathetic to the work the mods put it curate forums without them. Back in the 'old days' of LG, we didn't have these OFFICIAL threads, but it was like the wild west with a constant barrage of new threads, many of which would be similar (and through discussion would often wind up at the place), that left the mods to have to make many judgments as to when/if these topics should be merged.

In many ways, I preferred the 'old days' to the current state of affairs where I often feel like it's day's homework to stay current with the many new posts just so if the mood strokes me, I feel competent to post. BUT is that selfish on my part? I'm not a mod who has to manage all this.

Taking the OP's idea to the next level, what if player forums (and any other topic worthy of an OFFICIAL thread), were given a sub-forum at the top of the Lounge (above the Sticky's). I'm not sure this would resolve everything, but I thought I'd throw it out there. (Not sure about the behind the scenes work involved to accomplish this.)

(edit) I used a subject line for the first time just to see what would happen. As if stands right now, I don't think would be very useful. The subjects do not jump out. Perhaps if they were in bold? Also, everyone would have to commit to using to be able to help solve the issues brought up by the OP, even then I'm not sure how well this work, but you don't know until you try.

Last edited by irielight on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

For me, an improved navigation control would be better than a player forum breakout.

If we users had a GOTO PAGE navigation control that enabled us to jump navigation by some number of pages that we specify, (+25 for example or #87) it would accelerate one's ability to take or skip through existing content. There are often long user-to-user harangues that on the whole are not interesting but can make up a lot of pages in any one player thread.

One can work around this manually by modifying the post start value on the http command line, which occasionally I do.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=82641&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1400

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

I think that probably splinters the navigation too much.

I do, however, feel that every summer league thread should be in the summer league forums. The game threads should be there. Otherwise, no reason to have that forum at all.

Unfortunately, it's just easy for most users to stay in the lounge and interact there. Even one or two extra clicks causes some people to just give up.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
For me, an improved navigation control would be better than a player forum breakout.

If we users had a GOTO PAGE navigation control that enabled us to jump navigation by some number of pages that we specify, (+25 for example or #87) it would accelerate one's ability to take or skip through existing content. There are often long user-to-user harangues that on the whole are not interesting but can make up a lot of pages in any one player thread.

One can work around this manually by modifying the post start value on the http command line, which occasionally I do.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=82641&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1400

Enforcing the use of PM's for personal/un-related discussions would clean a lot up in the Official threads.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:

The Go To feature is located at the bottom right corner of every thread with more than one page.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

Ugh I don't even like the "Official" player threads. Player forums would be a nightmare!!
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

The Go To feature is located at the bottom right corner of every thread with more than one page.

It doesn't seem to always work. Next time I experience it, I'll post the case here.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

I'd like to find some sort of middle ground. I certainly don't want everything related to a player shoved into one official thread. But we don't also want 8 threads on similar things. We get complaints from users about both directions when it gets extreme. I think it actually really helped the site with DLO to be honest and Lin, as well.

What I'd like is something like this. We have an official Lonzo Ball thread. General commentary can go in there. He has a great game, people want to post "Dude was on fire from three!" or something similar that seems like a great spot. If you have a random thought that you don't think is worth its own thread, great spot. Some random quote or tweet, seems like a good catch all thread.

But if someone wants to go in-depth on a particular area, like "Lonzo's ball handling" or something and post a few paragraphs, that to me seems like it could hold court in its own thread and could make a great read as the thread builds and gets more detailed with people's commentary, debate, etc.

That's kind of where I think we'd find our sweet spot.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

It doesn't seem to always work. Next time I experience it, I'll post the case here.

I think you may have issues if you press "enter" vs. clicking. See if that's the difference.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

I work in web development, it would take a lot of work updating the page structure, database queries, and whatever other systems are already in place.

I would like a goto page feature instead of changing the last parameter in the url which can be tedious.

Otherwise I like the navigation the way it is. Ironically, this thread would belong in the site suggestions subforum all the way at the bottom so you need to learn how to use subforums first!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: