OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
tox wrote:
KCP is in this weird Avery Bradley category where his defensive analytics suck but analysts are high on defense. I'd trust the analysts over the analytics but I'm curious in watching GT's breakdown to maybe explain the data.

Think about this... The Celtics waived Bradley to sign Hayward. The Pistons waived KCP to sign Bradley. So lets not go crazy. KCP is an okay role player. The inflated incitement is partly due to the fact that someone a little bit significant decided to sign with us.

I'm not a big Avery fan. I think he's okay, and I like his D. It doesn't sound too exciting to me that the Pistons let go KCP for Avery. The dopest thing about KCP is his Roman Gladiator type name, Kentavious. I'm hoping he steps his game up another level because he's showcasing himself for a bigger contract. And playing next to Ball might be the best thing for him.

if you're basing your analysis of a player's strengths depends on what the FO of other teams chose to do with him I think that's a pretty fluffy and mistaken way of thinking about things. Teams make big time mistakes all the time and undervalue their own guys - Utah not giving Hayward a max extension when he was a RFA, Houston trading Kyle Lowry to acquire Jeremy Lin, etc.

Also, KCP didn't get "waived". He was an RFA who they offered 4/80, and he rejected it. They just didn't want to pay him 20+ mil, and when they got Bradley, it was going to be impossible to do it anyways.

It wasn't like he was already on the team and they just got rid of him
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
tox wrote:
KCP is in this weird Avery Bradley category where his defensive analytics suck but analysts are high on defense. I'd trust the analysts over the analytics but I'm curious in watching GT's breakdown to maybe explain the data.

Think about this... The Celtics waived Bradley to sign Hayward. The Pistons waived KCP to sign Bradley. So lets not go crazy. KCP is an okay role player. The inflated incitement is partly due to the fact that someone a little bit significant decided to sign with us.

I'm not a big Avery fan. I think he's okay, and I like his D. It doesn't sound too exciting to me that the Pistons let go KCP for Avery. The dopest thing about KCP is his Roman Gladiator type name, Kentavious. I'm hoping he steps his game up another level because he's showcasing himself for a bigger contract. And playing next to Ball might be the best thing for him.

if you're basing your analysis of a player's strengths depends on what the FO of other teams chose to do with him I think that's a pretty fluffy and mistaken way of thinking about things. Teams make big time mistakes all the time and undervalue their own guys - Utah not giving Hayward a max extension when he was a RFA, Houston trading Kyle Lowry to acquire Jeremy Lin, etc.

Also, KCP didn't get "waived". He was an RFA who they offered 4/80, and he rejected it. They just didn't want to pay him 20+ mil, and when they got Bradley, it was going to be impossible to do it anyways.

It wasn't like he was already on the team and they just got rid of him

yea they wanted to keep him and because of some poorly planned cap moves they had to renounce.
sirronstuff
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

LA has a New Pope
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
tox wrote:

The main reason the Pistons went for Bradley is he is in the last year of his deal. It looks like they'll soon go on another rebuild so they'd rather have Bradley's expiring vs committing long term money to KCP. They're seriously trying to unload Reggie Jackson and Drummond.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Pope is official. Signed today.

Quote:
EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have signed guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, it was announced today by General Manager Rob Pelinka. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

Caldwell-Pope joins Los Angeles following four seasons with the Detroit Pistons, where he averaged 11.7 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 314 contests (274 starts). Last season, the 24-year-old averaged 13.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.2 steals in 76 games (75 starts) with the Pistons.

Selected by Detroit with the eighth overall selection in the 2013 NBA Draft, Caldwell-Pope averaged 15.8 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 64 career games (60 starts) at Georgia before winning SEC Player of the Year honors in 2013.

The Lakers will hold an introductory press conference with Caldwell-Pope, General Manager Rob Pelinka and President of Basketball Operations Earvin “Magic” Johnson at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, July 18, at the Toyota Sports Center.

Season credential holders are asked to RSVP with T.C. Greene (tgreene@la-lakers.com) prior to the event.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/170713-caldwell-pope-signed?cid=tw
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It's official! I became an LA LAKER today. Let's work fellas!!

https://twitter.com/CaldwellPope/status/885646266478153728
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Choosing number 1 my feels
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Mofo sound like one of the guys Maximus killed in Gladiator
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

I'm late to party and I'm not going to pretend like I watched much of this player but im not getting the hype on this guy. As a 3 and D guy his 3 point accuracy is not impressive and his defense doesnt seem that much note worthy to me.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

0514 wrote:
Choosing number 1 my feels

On the bright side, all Lakers fans with Russell jerseys can make the conversion
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I'm late to party and I'm not going to pretend like I watched much of this player but im not getting the hype on this guy. As a 3 and D guy his 3 point accuracy is not impressive and his defense doesnt seem that much note worthy to me.

He will have this season to show you and the league what he's got.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“He really is (a great fit). It’s tough to just say ‘Here’s our starting five’ but he’s a really good fit for that spot. I’m a big fan on competition and earning your spot. It’s why it took Brandon (Ingram) so long to get in the starting line-up last year because I want him with the pride and the feeling of like ‘I earned this starting spot…and I’m never giving them spot up because I took this.’ It’s different because he was a rookie. KCP’s kind of been in this league and proven himself. I’d say most likely, yeah that’s what it looks like, Brandon on one wing, him on the other.”

LINK
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Ummm he's unquestionably our starting SG.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

He is. I actually listened to the interview Luke gave where he had that quote, and he didn't sound as unsure as that quote makes it seem. Likely just trying to not sound like he's bagging on JC
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah he isn't getting paid 18 mil to be on the bench. He wouldn't have even signed if they didn't guarantee he be starting.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

1st thing that was promised to him was the starting SG spot. he is taking that spot
mantlehog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Exactly. No need to be political about the obvious, Luke.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Let them compete...KCP will shut JC down just like he did last year...and prove what is already a foregone conclusion.

JC is an asset at this point...but not part of the core unless his attitude and commitment to D drastically improves.

#BannersOverBillboards
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Quote:
“He really is (a great fit). It’s tough to just say ‘Here’s our starting five’ but he’s a really good fit for that spot. I’m a big fan on competition and earning your spot. It’s why it took Brandon (Ingram) so long to get in the starting line-up last year because I want him with the pride and the feeling of like ‘I earned this starting spot…and I’m never giving them spot up because I took this.’ It’s different because he was a rookie. KCP’s kind of been in this league and proven himself. I’d say most likely, yeah that’s what it looks like, Brandon on one wing, him on the other.”

LINK

But didn't Ingram earn his spot at the same point Zubac did, i.e. when we decided to prioritize development over contention and benched Mozgov/Deng in our otherwise effective starting lineup? There was an obvious shift in coaching priority and so Ingram got the starts -- that's separate from him playing into the role. And that's supported by the fact that he got the gig the exact same time Zubac did. Besides, before Ingram got the role, Deng had had the better year (despite his struggles).

Not buying Luke's revisionism here.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'll never understand what the "Ummm" is about when posters begin their entry. I guess it's a way of saying "you're not as smart as me, because I can see what you obviously cannot". To me it sounds childish and rude.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
tox wrote:

I can never get settled when Maeda pitches for the Dodgers. Now I will think of him as Kentavious Maeda, a Roman Gladiator on the mound and a Samari Warrior at the plate.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'll never understand what the "Ummm" is about when posters begin their entry. I guess it's a way of saying "you're not as smart as me, because I can see what you obviously cannot". To me it sounds childish and rude.

Ummm this is an Internet forum.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Instead of talking about other posters why not present your argument as to why you think KCP isn't a starter? It's pretty obvious he's not coming here to play off the bench?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Great signing
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 15 of 182
Jump to: