We are now a legit team.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KBH wrote:
It depends on what you mean by legit. I think we'll likely be better than last year.

Definitely more watchable. They will compete on a nightly basis.

That's what we said last year when Luke was hired ....

We have a rookie PG. So things will get ugly at times. Just how it goes.
But there will be bright spots along the way.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Ball is gonna make this team much better. I said last year the Lakers were a decent PG away from being a playoffs team and I'm sticking with it. Ingram is probably going to get doubled or tripled team so if the other guys could knock down open jumpers, then we should be able to make the playoffs this year.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Another thing to consider is contract year motivation

Randle
Brook
KCP

3 starters will be playing their asses off to get paid.

I always watch to see how contract year motivation will work, player-to-player that is. Some play harder within the system they're assigned so as to win favor where they currently work. Others shift their focus game time to draw attention to the areas of their game which they feel may be otherwise neglected in their current role.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Experience Levels in years:

0-1: Ingram, Zubac, Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart, Bryant
2-3: Randle, Jordan, Nance,
4-6: KCP
7+: Lopez, Deng, Brewer

Still VERY young but the mix is getting better as the core ages and we bring in another vet. Deng has gotten a bad rap after a rough season. Biggest issue for him is the depth chart and long term plan for 2-max.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I think last years' team was better than their record indicated, held down by injuries and intentional tanking, experimenting with lineups, sitting out vets for the last third of the season, trading away the top scorer, etc. Had the goal been to compete for wins all season I think low 30's was very achievable, maybe better.

Getting rid of DLO did some harm though, big question whether or not Ball will make up for that until next season or beyond. Lou Williams, Swaggy had good seasons and are gone too.

Still, Brooke Lopez, KCP, and one more year of development for Zubac, Nance and Randle should close that gap and then some. Other than Ball the newest rookies appear to be 2 way players, at least at first glance. My jury is completely out on Ball's defense.

If Lonzo can adapt to the NBA game and open up the floor, there's enough upside to maybe scratch the edge of legitimacy.

Best case: Lonzo Balls, we get an offense that clicks, we run teams to death, Randle understands how to read and react properly on defense and can hit the 3 ball, Nance does the same, the rookies show they can bring it off the bench, shoot, pass and defend, and run teams as well, and we win 40 games.

Worst case: same sorry ass record as last year.

Highly doubt we sniff an 8 seed. I actually think 40 is more likely than 27 though.

Last edited by TooMuchMajicBuss on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
lamscott
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: We are now a legit team.

LakersNewEra wrote:
Something we haven't been in a long long time.

Looooooong looooooooong time.

We are far from a legit team but at least now there is hope for real growth and a real strategy for some sort of identity.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Feeling better after watching Lonzo shred the sixers spl team tonight. I know it's just summer league, but nobody goes 30pts 10asst in that league since 2004 and he just drops 36/11 with 8 rebounds, 5 steals, 2 blocks... That's the prospect I was hoping we'd see, right there. I hope the Lakers show up ready to run this fall. I think the Vegas line was too low at 30.5 wins.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo has such a high bball IQ I almost count him as a vet. Adding Lopez and KCP was big. Randle seems like he has something to prove, hopefully his shot is getting there. Ingram looks to break out this year. This team will be competitive.
bucketsandbags
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Nice thing about Lonzos game tonight is that it didn't feel like he was overachieving or ball hogging. It was just in the flow of the game.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject:

should be fun to watch...
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Feeling better after watching Lonzo shred the sixers spl team tonight. I know it's just summer league, but nobody goes 30pts 10asst in that league since 2004 and he just drops 36/11 with 8 rebounds, 5 steals, 2 blocks... That's the prospect I was hoping we'd see, right there. I hope the Lakers show up ready to run this fall. I think the Vegas line was too low at 30.5 wins.

Kobe scored 36 in a SL game and look what he later became. We might have gotten ourselves a better variation of Kobe in Lonzo, one that teammates actually like. That Vegas line is probably going to go up after people see what Lonzo did tonight.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

bucketsandbags wrote:
Nice thing about Lonzos game tonight is that it didn't feel like he was overachieving or ball hogging. It was just in the flow of the game.

Legler just remarked on the same thing, which in the SPL is saying something. I honestly don't think he's capable of making a selfish play.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Kobe scored 36 in a SL game and look what he later became. We might have gotten ourselves a better variation of Kobe in Lonzo, one that teammates actually like. That Vegas line is probably going to go up after people see what Lonzo did tonight.

Any chance you have to take a dig even when no one's talking about him huh?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Any chance you have to take a dig even when no one's talking about him huh?

Never really liked him that much. Just like DLo. I really love Ball and Ingram though. Team players that actually make other players better while getting stats for themselves.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

We were blessed to have 2 genius players in Magic and Kobe.
Lonzo looks like he might continue on thay tradition.
Seeing him just made me realize how bad of a PG Russell was and how bad he was at facilitating the offense with his stupid way of just walking it up and hogging the ball. To top it off his body language was annoying.

How refreshing is to have Lonzo on the team. He is fast, he plays fast and finds players in right spots. And he doesn't hog the ball...

After Magic and Kobe we have that player again... I dont give such lofty praise often but Lonzo will be that player for us.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I think last years' team was better than their record indicated, held down by injuries and intentional tanking, experimenting with lineups, sitting out vets for the last third of the season, trading away the top scorer, etc. Had the goal been to compete for wins all season I think low 30's was very achievable, maybe better.

Getting rid of DLO did some harm though, big question whether or not Ball will make up for that until next season or beyond. Lou Williams, Swaggy had good seasons and are gone too.

Still, Brooke Lopez, KCP, and one more year of development for Zubac, Nance and Randle should close that gap and then some. Other than Ball the newest rookies appear to be 2 way players, at least at first glance. My jury is completely out on Ball's defense.

If Lonzo can adapt to the NBA game and open up the floor, there's enough upside to maybe scratch the edge of legitimacy.

Best case: Lonzo Balls, we get an offense that clicks, we run teams to death, Randle understands how to read and react properly on defense and can hit the 3 ball, Nance does the same, the rookies show they can bring it off the bench, shoot, pass and defend, and run teams as well, and we win 40 games.

Highly doubt we sniff an 8 seed. I actually think 40 is more likely than 27 though.

Man, Lonzo has shown me more in 3 SPL games than I ever saw from DLO. We are back baby! Zo is legit- Lebron was watching. Its over we have arrived!
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
We're probably going to be the worst shooting team in the league this season since KCP is probably our best shooter and we have guys who have either never defended in the NBA or need to show a lot of growth on that end.
Why because we lost Russell who shot the same average as KCP? The only one that had a good shooting % that left was Swaggy
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Yeah, that is nowhere close to how it works.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

This team couldnt lose games at the end of last year even when they were TRYING to (or as they put it....play the young guys)

Maybe fans definition of a "legit" team might be a little different here

I think we can compete for a last playoff spot.....I think that is "legit" enough while we put it together with max free agents for a serious run.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

lakerMark wrote:
Practice wrote:
We're probably going to be the worst shooting team in the league this season since KCP is probably our best shooter and we have guys who have either never defended in the NBA or need to show a lot of growth on that end.
Why because we lost Russell who shot the same average as KCP? The only one that had a good shooting % that left was Swaggy

We were a bottom 10 3 point shooting team last season with a low number of attempts and Lou Williams is gone as well. It's pretty obvious we're going to be weak there and I didn't even compare this year to last year so...
McAlister
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
We are not, but KCP is a good signing.

Indeed.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

This is why I really won't be surprised it we crack 40 wins.

Natural player improvement was going to happen anyways, so that should add a couple extra games. But there are two major things I think will really make a difference.

I am convinced of Lonzo's impact on our team, not just because of what he can do (he will certainly have times where he struggles), but because of how infectious his playing style is. Even if he only plays 25 mpg, I can see the rest of the team buying into a transition ball-movement philosophy. This is how we were winning games during our 10-10 start.

Defense. I expect us to be improved from near dead last, to hopefully a middle of the pack team-defense. We lost so many games last year because of horrendous defense and if we can improve even slightly on not getting torched, we will be competitive in a lot more games.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

We upgraded from

Russell/Mozgov/Young/Black/Nwaba/Huertas
Ball/Lopez/Kentavious/Bryant/Kuzma/Hart

With the hope of a much improved Randle and Ingram.

Don't think there will much improvement from Clarkson or Randle.

We also had some Lou Williams for part of the season.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

We have greatly improved imo.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

My prediction is that one of the most impactful parts of the team will be relentless attacking from KCP, Ingram and Randle. KCP is a monster on the break, so are Randle and Ingram. Combine that with Zo's passing and these 4 should make up our best lineup by far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: