Wimbledon 2017 - Federer and Venus Williams in the finals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Wimbledon 2017 - Federer and Venus Williams in the finals

Fed down 15-40, commentators try to guess body serve / down the T / wide

https://streamable.com/npvib
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject:

Go federer
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

Venus was up 5-4 in the 1st set and Mugu was serving down 15-40. Since Venus lost those 2 set points, Mugu hasn't lost a game. It looks like she's going to win the final 9 games of the match. Unreal.

Venus just never recovered from losing those 2 set points.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

Haven't watched it yet but already saw the result. Still quite an achievement for Venus to reach a major final at her age and with the off-court distractions.

I like what I saw on the women's side at Wimbledon this year. A lot of the players who went deep in the tournament have all-court skills and were coming to net and volleying.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject:

Federer
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

I guess that Federer guy is pretty good.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

Federer is the greatest sportsman of all time to me, including KAJ and MJ here, Gretzky there, Woods gtfo. Pure athletics here, not impact etc, o/w it'd be Ali for me. Maybe Usain has a claim since that stuff is so basic. But o/w it's Fed.

36. 3 6. He won this ten years ago. He won everything needed already to be GOAT like 7 years ago. He had a mindblowing three four year run back then, greatest of any player. He's playing debatably the best of his life. He's done everything at every stage. He's won on all surfaces. He has a claim to be top 3 on all surfaces, clay included. Then you add in the genius, the hardly ever injured body, the balance and elegance, the longevity, the dominance, the other two guys he has to usually battle over Nadal and Djokovic themselves in the running for second place GOAT. Murray on top of that. And most important, the mental game in every aspect, focus, concnetration, will, fear by opponent, striking at the right time, pacing himself right, using fans. Makes an opponent flip out. I hope he plays for another two years at least.

Sad Venus crumbled. Was really rooting for her to win, like SHE did ten years ago. Emotions got the better of her, plus very good potential #1 opponent. Emotions apparently got the better of Fed's opponent.

Boring finals to conclude though. Was hoping the women's would be epic at least. I knew Fed would rule Cilic.

Fed will likely be #1 at the end of the year at 36, and he'll probably be able to do that playing limited times taking care of his health and resting a lot.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Federer is the greatest sportsman of all time to me, including KAJ and MJ here, Gretzky there, Woods (bleep). Pure athletics here, not impact etc, o/w it'd be Ali for me. Maybe Usain has a claim since that stuff is so basic. But o/w it's Fed.

36. 3 6. He won this ten years ago. He won everything needed already to be GOAT like 7 years ago. He had a mindblowing three four year run back then, greatest of any player. He's playing debatably the best of his life. He's done everything at every stage. He's won on all surfaces. He has a claim to be top 3 on all surfaces, clay included. Then you add in the genius, the hardly ever injured body, the balance and elegance, the longevity, the dominance, the other two guys he has to usually battle over Nadal and Djokovic themselves in the running for second place GOAT. Murray on top of that. And most important, the mental game in every aspect, focus, concnetration, will, fear by opponent, striking at the right time, pacing himself right, using fans. Makes an opponent flip out. I hope he plays for another two years at least.

Sad Venus crumbled. Was really rooting for her to win, like SHE did ten years ago. Emotions got the better of her, plus very good potential #1 opponent. Emotions apparently got the better of Fed's opponent.

Boring finals to conclude though. Was hoping the women's would be epic at least. I knew Fed would rule Cilic.

Fed will likely be #1 at the end of the year at 36, and he'll probably be able to do that playing limited times taking care of his health and resting a lot.

I was wondering what was going on with Cilic, but apparently he injured himself and was emotional because he knew he wasn't going to have a chance to win the match, basically.

What Fed is doing at this age is stunning. I mean, after he lost at last year's Wimbledon, he was a guy with an injured knee who hadn't won a major since 2012. And now he's moving around great again, probably as good as he has in years, and I think two other things have helped. First, I think the fact that he finally switched to the more modern rackets has given him a boost, and in combination with better movement I think it's making a definite difference. And two, I think he's being really smart with taking time off. Not even playing the French Open was a brilliant decision on his part. That would've been a grueling month or so of tennis for him, and he had to know that his chances of winning the tournament were slim. So he just rested up and prepared for the grass, his best surface. I would expect him to take it easy during the American hard court season too, leading up to the US Open. At this point, Federer doesn't need to be playing a ton.

The only real black mark on Federer's GOAT status is that the #2 guy in his era, Nadal, has a very good record against him, and even better in major finals. But so many of those were at the French Open, of course. And Nadal has the 10 French titles, but now Federer is up to 8 at Wimbledon. I have Fed pretty comfortably as the GOAT.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

This must be how a lot of the tours players feel when they were overwhelmed playing in the biggest stage and getting their butt kicked by one of the legends of the sport. You worked all your entire life for this and its a completely lopsided result.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: