Caruso 2-Way Contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielKetch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Face-Me wrote:
i like caruso.. but we have too many players at the 1 and 2 for him to get solid PT. i rather sign vander blue tbh.

Vander Blue has no place on this team. He was invited to Summer Camp to give us a punch in scoring and may get a summer camp invite to be another warm body... but his selfish style of iso ball is not in our plans.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

DanielKetch wrote:
Face-Me wrote:
i like caruso.. but we have too many players at the 1 and 2 for him to get solid PT. i rather sign vander blue tbh.

Vander Blue has no place on this team. He was invited to Summer Camp to give us a punch in scoring and may get a summer camp invite to be another warm body... but his selfish style of iso ball is not in our plans.

Blue looks like he's trying to be more balanced. I forgot which game, but he made a couple of shots, and when the defense tried to contest, he dropped off that nice pass to Bryant for a dunk.

Before he had been trying to make a team purely by scoring. I think he now realizes that its not enough.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

DanielKetch wrote:
Is it true that he can only play 42-45 games with the Lakers next season, as part of the 2 way contract?

Is he able to be upgraded to a full roster spot at some point?

It sounds to me like it works like the 10-day contracts (are those still around?) in that the team will just have to sign him for the entire year if they want him for longer than the 45 days.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, while draftees like Bryant are not eligible for the two-way contracts, it does not mean that they can't be sent to play some time in the G/D League. The draftees will have an NBA contract (not a two-way) but can still spend time in the lower league.

I should actually pose that as a question to anyone who knows, since I'm not sure.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
If Huertas was 6'5 and had any semblance of a 3pt jumper, he probably would've been a more successful NBA player.

He should have gone to NBA earlier. He was already in a clear descent before joining the Lakers.

I'm hoping it's not the same for Teodosic. I hope the Clippers suck, but he does well.

I'll admit I'm not too familiar with him, but isn't he basically supposed to be a taller Huertas with a jumper?

Taller, more athletic Huertas, with a jumper and solid defense.

so nothing like Huertas lol

He's white, so there's that
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
For those who didn't read about two-way contract on South Bay thread:

- There is no cap hit
- He's a G-League player, who can be called by the Lakers only for 45 days during the season.
- You can't sign drafted players (Bryant) as two-way, unless you waive them before
- You can't sign players with 3+ years of NBA experience (Ennis) as two-way

People like Pelinka must read tweets from reporters that suggest we could do this and

I think Momo suggested it...T. Mamba is on the 15 no doubt.

Doesn't mean he won't spend time in the G-league. Just that he'll have a full-fledged NBA deal while he does. That's my guess. He'll be up and down a bit probably. He's a project.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
DanielKetch wrote:
Is it true that he can only play 42-45 games with the Lakers next season, as part of the 2 way contract?

Is he able to be upgraded to a full roster spot at some point?

It sounds to me like it works like the 10-day contracts (are those still around?) in that the team will just have to sign him for the entire year if they want him for longer than the 45 days.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, while draftees like Bryant are not eligible for the two-way contracts, it does not mean that they can't be sent to play some time in the G/D League. The draftees will have an NBA contract (not a two-way) but can still spend time in the lower league.

I should actually pose that as a question to anyone who knows, since I'm not sure.

1. If you are on a two-way contract, you are only allowed to be on an NBA roster for 45 days. Given that there are travel days and time between games, the 45 days probably translates into a maximum of 25 or so games. And yes if you are on the roster but don't get into a game, the time still ticks away.

2. Once players reach the 45 days, they must either be signed to a regular contract or released.

3. A team can assign any player on the roster with 3 years of experience or less to the d league an unlimited number of times.

4. 10 day contracts still exist
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
gr818 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
Bad signing. This kids really not that good. He's gonna be worse than Huertas

Best defender at the PG spot in the dleague

40.1% shooter from 3

Worse than huertas

D league.

Huertas was one of the best international PGs yet in the NBA he was a scrub. I expect the same with Caruso. Enns would have been a better non guaranteed signing. He at least has proven to be solid against legit NBA players.
huertas didnt play american ball. we play differently over here. thats just a fact. caruso knows how it goes in the states.

huertas was an older guy once he got here. probably lost half a step or so too.

caruso was a defender in college, and translated that into the Dleague now the gleague.

He might not be the quickest or strongest/most athletic guy. but he's quick enough and his anticipation on defense is great for a guy trying to time someone's bad pass or funny dribble move so he can poke it loose. this is the kind of guy that could get a game winning steal.

Except that he starred in high school and in AAU in Dallas, Texas. That's as American as it gets

It doesnt change the fact that these guys are totally different players

Caruso is a big guard who plays pretty good D

Huertes is a speed bump

Totally different. They play differently in Texas. They know how it goes in the states.

Huertas had an impact with the team. DLO even imitates his passing and uses it now. Check 0:40 of clip. DLO uses it; especially first play of the game or did to Lou.

We'll see if Caruso even makes any impact at all.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
gr818 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

40.1% shooter from 3

Worse than huertas

D league.

Huertas was one of the best international PGs yet in the NBA he was a scrub. I expect the same with Caruso. Enns would have been a better non guaranteed signing. He at least has proven to be solid against legit NBA players.
huertas didnt play american ball. we play differently over here. thats just a fact. caruso knows how it goes in the states.

caruso was a defender in college, and translated that into the Dleague now the gleague.

He might not be the quickest or strongest/most athletic guy. but he's quick enough and his anticipation on defense is great for a guy trying to time someone's bad pass or funny dribble move so he can poke it loose. this is the kind of guy that could get a game winning steal.

Except that he starred in high school and in AAU in Dallas, Texas. That's as American as it gets

Huertes is a speed bump

Totally different. They play differently in Texas. They know how it goes in the states.

Huertas had an impact with the team. DLO even imitates his passing and uses it now. Check 0:40 of clip. DLO uses it; especially first play of the game or did to Lou.

You do realize that there are more aspects to basketball then just the offensive side of the ball right?

I always thought that if Huertas was actually a bigger player he could have had much more of a impact.....because even though he couldnt shoot he was a pretty good ball distributer.....but the BIGGEST problem was that he was a total DEFENSIVE LIABILITY because he was too small and had no defensive instincts.

You cant score then give up a score and hope to win a game.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
gr818 wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
gr818 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

40.1% shooter from 3

Worse than huertas

D league.

Huertes is a speed bump

You do realize that there are more aspects to basketball then just the offensive side of the ball right?

I always thought that if Huertas was actually a bigger player he could have had much more of a impact.....because even though he couldnt shoot he was a pretty good ball distributer.....but the BIGGEST problem was that he was a total DEFENSIVE LIABILITY because he was too small and had no defensive instincts.

You cant score then give up a score and hope to win a game.

You do realize that there are more aspects to basketball then just equating size, right?

Huertas would be a different type of player if he was bigger. Maybe shooting over the defense would be better, but he would not be as nimble to manuver, which is his specialty to create and have patience for passing lanes to develop due to his size.

His biggest problem was his age. Some players digress faster. He had defensive instincts as you can see in highlights, but due to age, the motor and consistency wasn't there no longer.

If your bench scores as much they give up, you can to hope win a game most of the time. That's all you can hope and ask for from your bench.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

It's summer league, but he does look like a player.
yammy1688
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

he's got sneaky hops.

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
For distributing the ball, we have Ball. As for score-first guards who put up a ton of shots, we have several of them.

Love the way Caruso progressed through Summer League. Knock him down, bloody him, he just gets tougher. Plays defense, and good court vision. Sure, he's got a lot of things he can likely improve on, but I really like how he fits on the roster, I like his hustle, his passing, and his motor.

Happy to see him on a 2 way contract. Welcome!
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

he has more speed and athleticism than he gets credit for, good hustle guy, was pretty important closing out with his defense and overall hustle plays
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Dunk machine!
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject:

DanielKetch wrote:
Face-Me wrote:

You have to give him credit for trying to change. He's passing a lot more, he is trying hard on both ends and he does look for the open man.

The culture has changed and everyone wants to get on board. I don't think he will make the cut but he will be a better all around player after this summer league, and that's something he has to be excited about.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject:

repandpresent wrote:
You have to give him credit for trying to change. He's passing a lot more, he is trying hard on both ends and he does look for the open man.

Oh for sure. I like vander blue a lot. He seems like a great person and you can tell he is having the time of his life out there on the court

But I just don't see him as part of what the lakers are trying to do in the future

I hope he gets into the nba on a different team
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: