Grade Magic & Rob - Summary of FO Moves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Do You Rate Magic & Rob's First Offseason
A+
20%
 20%  [ 42 ]
A
29%
 29%  [ 62 ]
A-
16%
 16%  [ 35 ]
B+
14%
 14%  [ 30 ]
B
7%
 7%  [ 15 ]
B-
5%
 5%  [ 11 ]
C
3%
 3%  [ 8 ]
D
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 209

LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:

Mitch/Jim would not have been able to sign KCP. Plain and simple.
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Mitch would have signed Rondo for 21M @ 12:01 first day of FA. The guy was a brilliant capologist. He signed Radmanovic, then signed Walton, a few days later both with MLE level 5 year contracts, no one was offering Walton anything but Mitch outbidded them nonetheless like he did Mozgov. Brilliance personified
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

Randle30 wrote:
Mitch would have signed Rondo for 21M @ 12:01 first day of FA. The guy was a brilliant capologist. He signed Radmanovic, then signed Walton, a few days later both with MLE level 5 year contracts, no one was offering Walton anything but Mitch outbidded them nonetheless like he did Mozgov. Brilliance personified

dude was a trash just blessed Kobes brilliance saved his job for as long as it did. Ill never forgive him for surrounding kobe with smush/walton/kwame
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

Here's the thing with the plan of opening up two max spots. The big name FA class next year will only have 2 potential superstars Westbrook and KD (Not likely). The rest will be all stars. Lebron will be a superstar in name only. He will be entering his 15th season next year and will be 34 in Dec of next year. Baskeball wise he will merely be considered an all star. PG is not a superstar. Cousins is not a superstar. CP3 is not a superstar. Melo is not a superstar. Aldridge, Isaiah Thomas, D Jordan is not a superstar, etc.

The plan never mentions stars. If the FO determines Randle and/or KCP could be potential all stars that can be an option to consider. If they add 1 of those players with 1 max FA that would be a B-. If they add both of those players with 1 max FA that would be a B+. If they add 2 max FA that would be an A. If they could add 1 of those players with 2 max FA that would be a A+.

Randle and KCP is contingent on the FO believing they could be a potential all star.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Ball/Kuzma >>>>>>>> DLO
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Kuzma potential is not >> Randle potential.

I do wanna say tho, what is characteristic of this FO's draft picks so far is that they are all players that would play well with Lonzo ball. They are truly going all in on him

McHale >>>>> Rambis but Rambis was a better fit for Showtime.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

Also factor in KCP would not sign if DLo was still here. KCP better defender, as good an open shooter (for now) and not bad in the P&R.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

I voted an A+.

The wording of the poll doesn't indicate that we must wait to see what happens next year. Just grade this off-season based on what we know now.

We got Lonzo plus 3 other promising picks. We upgraded the center position while unloading the Moz contract. We got KCP.

And by not picking up Rondo my grade went from A to A+!
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
Ball/Kuzma >>>>>>>> DLO

BALL DLO>>>>>>>>>>>>BALL Kuzma
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
After the last game on ESPN, Luke said he was thrilled the FO was able to get KCP. Said there's a different vibe/energy with the new management. They are beginning to attract high-caliber free agents.

Also, it's not a surprise PG expressed his interest in joining the Lakers after the management change. This ain't a coincidence, people. Players want to be here.

Even if free agents don't actually want to be here, we are owning the narrative that they do. Glad to hear Luke repeating that same mantra. That's a huge difference from previous off seasons where the press's favorite story was how the mighty have fallen and can't even get a meeting with quality free agents. We've flipped the narrative on its head and that's a great start (and at the same time seeing CP3 leave the Clippers makes them suddenly more Clipperish again...too bad they picked up West, though).
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Russell trade turned an A+ into a B.

If they convert the cap space into LeBron, it goes back to A+. If they strike out Aldridge style...
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
After the last game on ESPN, Luke said he was thrilled the FO was able to get KCP. Said there's a different vibe/energy with the new management. They are beginning to attract high-caliber free agents.

Also, it's not a surprise PG expressed his interest in joining the Lakers after the management change. This ain't a coincidence, people. Players want to be here.

Even if free agents don't actually want to be here, we are owning the narrative that they do. Glad to hear Luke repeating that same mantra. That's a huge difference from previous off seasons where the press's favorite story was how the mighty have fallen and can't even get a meeting with quality free agents. We've flipped the narrative on its head and that's a great start (and at the same time seeing CP3 leave the Clippers makes them suddenly more Clipperish again...too bad they picked up West, though).

Jeanies mouth piece is more responsive for the past negatives more than anything. She learned from the best Phil
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

It certainly played a decent role, but we did zero to counter any of that. And the lack of anyone charismatic in the front office hurt badly until we got Luke last year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Last several years Heat got Lebron and Bosh. Cavs got Lebron. Spurs got Aldridge. Warriors got KD. Rockets got Howard and cP3. Celtics got Horford and Hayward. The 2018 free agent class is the biggest in a long time and the list of teams with cap space for 1 max is the lowest in a long time. Next year is the perfect storm to have cap space.

Sure, that's the optimistic way of looking at it, and it might work out this time. However, among those examples, the situation that is most analogous is the Celtics. If our ultimate FA haul is at the level of Horford and Hayward, I would raise my grade for this off-season's strategy to a B-. It would be disappointing, but we'd end up with a middle tier playoff team in the West, with the potential to do better if Ball, Ingram, and Randle blossom into stars.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
32 wrote:
Last several years Heat got Lebron and Bosh. Cavs got Lebron. Spurs got Aldridge. Warriors got KD. Rockets got Howard and cP3. Celtics got Horford and Hayward. The 2018 free agent class is the biggest in a long time and the list of teams with cap space for 1 max is the lowest in a long time. Next year is the perfect storm to have cap space.

Sure, that's the optimistic way of looking at it, and it might work out this time. However, among those examples, the situation that is most analogous is the Celtics. If our ultimate FA haul is at the level of Horford and Hayward, I would raise my grade for this off-season's strategy to a B-. It would be disappointing, but we'd end up with a middle tier playoff team in the West, with the potential to do better if Ball, Ingram, and Randle blossom into stars.

Fair enough. I just don't agree with some here that the expectations are so high the results should either be an A or F and no in between.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
So my question is...if you gave a grade below an A what could they have done differently to be able to earn an A?

Else...there was no scenario they could have earned an A.

You don't get an A as a participation award. You don't get an A for not being Jim Buss. You have to achieve something.

Furthermore, in our current posture, improving the roster for next season isn't the goal. We're looking to build a title team. I don't see how a couple one-year rentals advance that objective. As of now, Lopez and KCP are just placeholders for cap space. That's fine, but cap space is worth something only if you are able to use it to bring in a game changing player.

How would they have earned an A? I'm not a RealGM guy, so I'm not going to toss out hypothetical moves. If they had traded Russell for real value, I'd be more impressed. If they had gotten Paul George on board, I'd be more impressed. If they had made some other move that improved our real world trajectory beyond waiting for the kids to develop and hoping for free agents to arrive, I'd be more impressed.

Again, I don't mean to be Debbie Downer. This could all work out. But it is all contingent on free agents signing up, and I am still jaded from watching this approach fail ten years ago.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

How would you guys rate them if we still had Dlo and Moz, but added ball and kuzma and didn't sign any FA's?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Fair enough. I just don't agree with some here that the expectations are so high the results should either be an A or F and no in between.

I agree with that.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Yes, perceptions are a big deal, and I will give Magic credit for this (with a big assist from Paul George). Now he just needs to deliver. If he doesn't, the narrative will flip again.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Randle30 wrote:

dude was a trash just blessed Kobes brilliance saved his job for as long as it did. Ill never forgive him for surrounding kobe with smush/walton/kwame

I'll never forget trading kwame for Pau, signing artest, and dumping an injured Bynum for howard either.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
How would you guys rate them if we still had Dlo and Moz, but added ball and kuzma and didn't sign any FA's?

That's an interesting question. It depends on what you think about Russell. I had a higher opinion of him than a lot of people, but I trust the judgment of the front office that he was a problem. If that is what they thought of him, and they didn't move him when his value was still high, I would grade the front office a notch lower.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

I would have been fine with that.

At worst, Lonzo would have helped to increase Russell's trade value.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Magic/Pelinka = Lonzo
Jesse Buss = Kuzma, Hart, Bryant (and JC and Nance)

It is no surprise that drafting was a strength, it has been for awhile and our scouting department has remained the same. I mentioned before that we might have found a couple of Buss kids worth keeping around.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Here's the thing with the plan of opening up two max spots. The big name FA class next year will only have 2 potential superstars Westbrook and KD (Not likely). The rest will be all stars. Lebron will be a superstar in name only. He will be entering his 15th season next year and will be 34 in Dec of next year. Baskeball wise he will merely be considered an all star. PG is not a superstar. Cousins is not a superstar. CP3 is not a superstar. Melo is not a superstar. Aldridge, Isaiah Thomas, D Jordan is not a superstar, etc.

The plan never mentions stars. If the FO determines Randle and/or KCP could be potential all stars that can be an option to consider. If they add 1 of those players with 1 max FA that would be a B-. If they add both of those players with 1 max FA that would be a B+. If they add 2 max FA that would be an A. If they could add 1 of those players with 2 max FA that would be a A+.

Randle and KCP is contingent on the FO believing they could be a potential all star.

Pelinka did mention max stars but one could argue that if Randle and KCP are worth max contracts, they wouldn't be far away from star status.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

jwbrown77 wrote:
Russell trade turned an A+ into a B.

If they convert the cap space into LeBron, it goes back to A+. If they strike out Aldridge style...

I actually gave Magic & Co an "A-" instead of an "A+" because of the DLO trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10
Jump to: