The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1033, 1034, 1035 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhin0821
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
You need multiple guys in the rotations. Randle gives this team the rebounding it needs. I could see Kuz playing with Randle, BI, Lopez and Ball.

Look for Randle to breakout and play really good defense, take his playmaking to a new level and really benefit from Ball.

I think Kuzman forces his way into the lineup and along with Clarkson is the key reserve on the 2nd team. He may play some 2 so Clarkson can rest Ball. Nance has to fight Deng for a spot in the rotation.

Randle rebounding is important on this team as it is not a strength of Lopez or BI at this point. Kuzman is okay but it is not a strength of his either. Nance is a decent rebounder but nowhere near the class that Randle is in. Ball should help in this category.

Randles rebounding regressed last season
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
So Randle is working on his own out of state? Or at the facility in El Segundo?

Would like to see him with the rest of the guys honestly, we need full buy in now.

I think El Segundo. According to John Ireland on his radio show, 2 guys have been spending more time than anyone at the "old" training facility shooting 3s. Randle and Clarkson.
kobeslaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

Jhin0821 wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
You need multiple guys in the rotations. Randle gives this team the rebounding it needs. I could see Kuz playing with Randle, BI, Lopez and Ball.

Look for Randle to breakout and play really good defense, take his playmaking to a new level and really benefit from Ball.

I think Kuzman forces his way into the lineup and along with Clarkson is the key reserve on the 2nd team. He may play some 2 so Clarkson can rest Ball. Nance has to fight Deng for a spot in the rotation.

Randle rebounding is important on this team as it is not a strength of Lopez or BI at this point. Kuzman is okay but it is not a strength of his either. Nance is a decent rebounder but nowhere near the class that Randle is in. Ball should help in this category.

He's not regressed from it, just less opportunities since Black, T-Rob all good rebounders.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

kobeslaker wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

He's not regressed from it, just less opportunities since Black, T-Rob all good rebounders.

His rebounding percentages regressed on the defensive end.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

kobeslaker wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Also a bit inflated the previous season with the godawful Sacre and Bass sharing the glass.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
dao wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I'm excited as hell to see him in transition with Lonzo. Really, it could be special with his speed .
2 things: he's going to need to give up the ball earlier in transition(he holds the hell out of it), because Lonzo will be at halfcourt ready to catch and pass for a bucket - this play could be so awesome.
He'll also need to run his lane, something which he hasn't done as a Laker -- with his speed - he's going to incur gravity, at the very least.

Really excited to watch this..

A lot of different scenarios in play for his future with us. If Bron comes with another star, he's gone. If it's 2 star FA's, no Lebron, he can stay. But do you pay him big money if - lets say - his jumper is iffy at 33%, with a dynamic Kuzma waiting in the wings??

Idk man, but his contract/future, I can't get it out of my head.
if Randle has a future with the Lakers, it will be at the 5 spot imo. With Ingram, George, and possibly Lebron, the forward spots will be extremely crowded.

If Lebron comes with another star, there's no caproom for Randle
Yeah, if Lebron is coming then Randle is definitely gone. But let's say something like this happens: KCP looks like a keeper and a stellar fit next to Lonzo; Randle has a huge breakout year, improves his defense, looks like a future star; Geroge wants to come, but Lebron doesn't.

In this scenario, the smart play is to sign George, and extend Randle and KCP.

Lonzo
KCP
George
Ingram
Randle

It's tough for me to envision a scenario that involves us keeping Randle and playing him at the 4 longterm.

Basketball-wise, I don't see any reason we can't have JR in a long-term starting PF/closing C role if he develops a jump-shot, consistency on D, and less of a tendency to ball-stop. If it's a matter of finances, LS has already pointed out that it would take a minimal (about 500K) pay-cut from PG/LBJ to keep JR if we can dump JC and Deng without taking salary back.

If JR balls out at the beginning of the season, I wouldn't mind including multiple picks as the price of dumping Deng. The most cited argument against this is the Nash deal but my counter-argument to that is they were trading multiple future assets for a 40-year-old PG on a team destined to go downhill after a couple of years, similar to the mistake the Nets made. In this scenario, you'd be doing it to retain a significant 23-year-old asset on a team that (hopefully at that point) already has multiple cost-controlled young prospects on the rise.

Last edited by gng930 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Randle needs to practice finishing strong to the basket, he sometimes has Kwame hands and throws the ball up wierdly on layup attempts.

He doesn't have Kwame hands. As for his finishing ability, sometimes he does shoot it awkwardly, but he finished well and shot well at the basket last season. The whole "misses at the rim" thing is antiquated and no longer applicable. That's who he was his first year, not last year. Now, yes, he can still get better, but he's not a bad finisher at all.

Randle needs to improve on his jump shot and 3pt shot, especially, and his defense. If he does those two things, he's an amazing player. Simple as that.

He's going to have a monster year regardless. If people think Kuzma gets on the break quickly, wait for Randle. Kuzma isn't nearly as quick as Randle. Randle and Zo are made for each other.

2 differences: randle goes for the rebound while Kuz leaks out
Kuz has a jumper which people have to respect, randle not so much

hope he gets that J

That is why Kuzma gets 0 rebounds in a half.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

Do it Mitch! wrote:
Going to be an interesting year for Ju. I just feel like a lot of his rebounding stats are empty because he gets offenseive rebounds off of his own misses.

Feel what you want but stats prove you wrong.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DrumR wrote:
Kuzma hasn't even shown he's better than 2nd year Randle till he plays against NBA competition. What he has shown is his shot is legit and he could be a good defender. This isn't really remotely close to average NBA speed and strength.

I think Kuzma has shown himself to be a better shooter and defender than Randle already (yes, even though he's only played in the summer league). However, in just about every other way, Randle is currently by the far the better player.

Regardless, while I think Randle may very well have a monster season, its great that we picked up a guy in Kuzma that may make himself into a great back up plan if we have to let Randle leave at the end of the year.

Agree, we look strong at the PF/small ball center positions
kobeslaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Do it Mitch! wrote:
Going to be an interesting year for Ju. I just feel like a lot of his rebounding stats are empty because he gets offenseive rebounds off of his own misses.

Feel what you want but stats prove you wrong.

Westbrook's rebound are empty, not Jules.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Well this is going to be interesting.
I have prefered Nance to Randle last year because I always felt we gelled better with Nance out there. I feel his off ball movement and intelligence made us more balanced and I know I wasnt the only one thinking that.

I rmemeber this video from Coach Nick detailing why Larry Nance was our best player.

While Randle is much more talented I always felt we played so much better with Nance.

Now with Kuzma as well, its a 3 way race. Kuzma has the most desirable skill set. If he can play well in the NBA (and I see no reason why not, his shot is pure and his offense is very complete and polished) then shipping out Randle might become even easier.

Its definitely a sink or swim time for Randle. Either he beasts and even hits the jumper with regularity or ww ship him out. To put it simply, given Randles talent we shouldnt look better with Nance on the floor. If its still the case next season then Randle has to go.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

Good lord, how many times does the "his rebounds are inflated because he's grabbing his own misses" theory need to be debunked?

At this point the people that keep bringing it up are just being lazy. It's not that hard to look up offensive rebounding stats. Julius is an average offensive rebounder at his position.

In order for that theory to work you'd also have to assume that all 2 of his offensive rebounds per game are from his misses and not his teammates.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

I think Randle's rebounds were increased by Hibbert's presence which happened to his teammates in Indy as well. Roy didn't get a lot of boards but his teams rebounded well with him on the floor. Might be a similar effect this year with Lopez. Randle is an elite rebounder and should be a great pairing with Brook in this regard.

The main thing that concerns me with Randle is that a Lonzo run offense needs a stretch four. That's the outlet/open look generated on a lot of his actions. If Randle doesn't improve a lot from that range the offense is going to bog down and he's going to be pushed to Center where LA has Brook.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I think Randle's rebounds were increased by Hibbert's presence which happened to his teammates in Indy as well. Roy didn't get a lot of boards but his teams rebounded well with him on the floor. Might be a similar effect this year with Lopez. Randle is an elite rebounder and should be a great pairing with Brook in this regard.

The main thing that concerns me with Randle is that a Lonzo run offense needs a stretch four. That's the outlet/open look generated on a lot of his actions. If Randle doesn't improve a lot from that range the offense is going to bog down and he's going to be pushed to Center where LA has Brook.

Mozgov and Hibbert averaged the exact same number of rebounds playing next to Randle (4.9 per game).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Who is a stretch 5.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Mozgov and Hibbert averaged the exact same number of rebounds playing next to Randle (4.9 per game).

And that is in line with Lopez. Nance is at best an average rebounder, Kuzma is sub standard in SL. Without Randle we lose a lot of possessions.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Ventura, I think you've hit one of the primary issues on the head. As a small ball Center Randle's rebounding is extremely important and has the potential to make Laker small ball units potent. The challenge is he hasn't shown he can shoot from distance and is extremely poor in defensive rotation. If he shores those tow areas up he makes us a much better team.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

There are so many factors that look to be going in Jules' favor this season that he should be very thankful it's a contract year and everyone here should withhold judgement until watching him play out the year.

Replaced 7-foot statue clogging up the paint on offense his first two years (Hibbert/Moz) with a versatile offensive threat that can stretch defenses out to the 3-point line and create more space for him to attack? Check.

Acquired pass-first point guard that can push the ball in transition before defenses are set (at a game-changing, potentially historic level/pace) the way he likes to play and is at his most effective? Check.

Acquired another guard that can make up for the loss of DLo as a shooting threat/passing outlet AND provide a better running mate in transition that can finish above the rim? Check.

Combine all that with an offseason where he's worked on his weaknesses the hardest he has in his life, by all accounts, and Year 2 of BI (who's sorta the antithesis of Jules in a lot of ways as a player, making them pretty good complements to each other in the front court) - I think it's fairly safe to say this kid is about to make a (bleep) ton of money.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Randle's shown that he's stronger than Cousins and AD.

When and where?
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Roon wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Come on now, there are so many players that would beat Randle 1 on 1.

Not all time, there are plenty, but in this current era. Kobe would have of course ^^^, but give me names, list ten.

LeBron, KD, Curry, Kyrie, Kawhi, Harden, Westbrook, Cousins, AD, Marc Gasol

Remember this is 1v1. I think all those players you listed are much better players than JR. At this point in time significantly better.

However:

I already mentioned KD and Lebron, but I did forgot about Anthony Davis, he matches up well. Kawhi I've gone back and forth with, but I haven't seen enough of him going against bigger, stronger opponents. He's so long and good though damn.

Randle gets the ball. How are Curry, Marc, Kyrie, Westbrook, or Harden, going to defend 6'9 245 Randle better than he can defend them?

Randle autodefends by himself not making enough shots.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Mirjalovic wrote:
Lonzo will make Randle awesome. He.s the point guard that Randle deserved. Lonzo so creative with his passes and will suit any players. He will adjust it, its either pocket pass, alley oop pass, kickout.. he knows his teammates strength and people will proved wrong again about Randle, the way most of guys wrong about Lonzo Ball.

He can hardly shoot and defend.
Awesome is a far off word.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
h2omike wrote:
Randle is a problem next season if we are still on the 2 max player strategy. Nance and Kuzma may be the cheaper backups they decide to keep. Frankly I think pg13 is now staying in okc, so unlesss Lebrun is coming, then the big players may be our own Lopez and Pope.

Not necessarily. We can give him a qualifying offer and re-sign him the year after.

Not at all
We can give him a QO only if we retain his cap hold and rights.
If we need that cap space to sign some FA, he is done.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Both Nance and Randle are developing their 3pt shots. I would say it is difficult to form an opinion on how to use either of them until you see their improvements from the 3pt line. It is especially true trying to project Randle because, in addition to a potentially improved jumper, he may be significantly more athletic/consistent next year due to him curing his conditioning issues while adding even more strength.

Before developing 3 I'll try with midrange 2 and see if there's any success.
If not, good luck in developing 3.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
h2omike wrote:
Randle is a problem next season if we are still on the 2 max player strategy. Nance and Kuzma may be the cheaper backups they decide to keep. Frankly I think pg13 is now staying in okc, so unlesss Lebrun is coming, then the big players may be our own Lopez and Pope.

Why can't Randle BE one of those max players?

Because as of now he has not demonstrated to be worth a max contract?
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Randle watchout, Kuzma is coming

He better protect the rim to get some back up C minutes.

I think its Nance at the 5, not Randle. It will be tough to get Kuzma real minutes, but my guess is he gets them backing up Ingram and/or Randle if he shows up in the preseason with the same play he's showed in the summer league.

And, with an improved jumper or not, having a guy like Ball next to him, Randle is gonna kill it. You guys are insane if you think Kuzma is a better fast break partner for Ball than Randle. Kuzma doesn't have Randle's speed, ball handling, explosion at the rim or finishing ability. In each of those ways, he's a poor man's Randle. What Kuzma has over Randle right now is 3pt shooting (shooting in general) and defensive versatility.

Love what we've seen from Kuzma in summer league, but might be good to keep at least some perspective.

If Kuzma can keep it up in real games, Randle will have trouble to keep his starting gig.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1033, 1034, 1035 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1034 of 1536
Jump to: