Grade Magic & Rob - Summary of FO Moves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Do You Rate Magic & Rob's First Offseason
A+
20%
 20%  [ 42 ]
A
29%
 29%  [ 62 ]
A-
16%
 16%  [ 35 ]
B+
14%
 14%  [ 30 ]
B
7%
 7%  [ 15 ]
B-
5%
 5%  [ 11 ]
C
3%
 3%  [ 8 ]
D
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 209

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Gave them a B. Here's what's up:

The good:
- Signing KCP to a one-year deal!!! I honestly thought this was impossible, one of top 5-10 moves made in the league this free agency IMO
- 2017 Draft, in addition to drafting Lonzo they picked up a legit rotation player in Kuzma and guys like Hart and Bryant who have the skills also to become rotation players. They also did their due diligence and picked another unpopular late 1st round guy who looks like a steal, and turned another late pick into two late picks without sacrificing much. They had one of the best drafts, if not the best draft, out of all 30 teams.
- Staying patient in free agency and waiting for opportunities to arise
- Chasing the right guys in free agency
- Forming a long-term front office strategy and sticking to it
- Interested in signing players who fit the coach's vision.

The bad
- The D'Angelo trade was poor value for their top young player and was also completely horrible timing. They could have let him play with Lonzo to increase his trade value if they were so hell-bent on trading him. Also a concerning assessment of his potential & his skills, to trade a player who is on a fringe all star trajectory in a salary dump. There was absolutely no reason to get rid of him when they did. This was really terrible.
- They fired their Department Head of Analytics and are currently playing basketball games without a replacement in that department, which is honestly blowing my mind in a very disappointed way. How is this not a bigger deal?!?!
- The 2018 plan is very frustrating to go through again, to shrug off development of young talent long-term to win now, while the Golden State Warriors are somehow assembling teams better than the last year and every single team in the West is becoming a super team. I hate this plan and it marks the return of Lakers Exceptionalism, which was killing the Lakers a couple years ago in their free agency meetings. Gotta learn that stars won't come to LA "just because it's LA," develop young players and take the long road so they're ready to shine when the current titans are beyond their prime.

Some seriously good moves, and some baffling/frustrating ones too. Grading them with a "B" is still like an 85% on a test which is pretty solid, quite honestly.

I am beginning to think their devotion to analytics was word play. I never expected Magic to embrace it but assumed that Pelinka would see its value. Hopefully they will get someone in place by the beginning of the season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Magic/Pelinka = Lonzo
Jesse Buss = Kuzma, Hart, Bryant (and JC and Nance)

Kuzma seems to be heavy Rob Pelinka and Magic imo.

That wasn't DB's opinion. He was stating a fact.

Yes it is a fact. Jesse is proving himself to be a top talent evaluator.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
- The 2018 plan is very frustrating to go through again, to shrug off development of young talent long-term to win now, while the Golden State Warriors are somehow assembling teams better than the last year and every single team in the West is becoming a super team. I hate this plan and it marks the return of Lakers Exceptionalism, which was killing the Lakers a couple years ago in their free agency meetings. Gotta learn that stars won't come to LA "just because it's LA," develop young players and take the long road so they're ready to shine when the current titans are beyond their prime.

I hope that Magic and Pelinka understand this. But I like the fact that Magic is proactively marketing the Lakers as a free agent destination.

We actually got younger this offseason and if the max guys don't come they will still be working in a buyer's market in free agency with lots of space. I disliked the Russell deal but Lopez, Kuzma and that opportunity wasn't exactly a poor return. Plus, Lonzo brings the type of attention guys want.

That's true, except that a buyer's market for ordinary players and even minor stars isn't worth much. Our goal is to win titles, not to be a successful small market franchise, right? In order for this strategy to succeed, we need to land at least one big fish.

Someone else ran through the list, but it bears repeating:

Westbrook -- In my opinion, RW is the only big fish worth talking about. I am not a big fan of his game, but I respect that he would alter the trajectory of the franchise. I'm not sure what we would do with Ball if Westbrook arrived. I'm also not getting the vibe that Westbrook plans to leave OKC, but you never know.

Lebron -- I can imagine him thinking about coming to LA to expand his brand (I analogized this to David Beckham in another thread), but I think he will conclude that leaving the Cavs a second time would do more damage to his legacy. Anyway, he may be a physical freak, but Father Time is undefeated. He would be a diminishing asset.

Durant -- I would expect the Warriors to do what it takes to keep him.

Paul George -- He is well below the first three.

Best of the rest -- Chris Paul, DMC, DAJ, Carmelo. Color me unimpressed.

The point is that it may be a buyer's market if you want to chase DAJ or someone like that, but if you want to change the trajectory of the franchise, it's a seller's market all the way.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

I hope that Magic and Pelinka understand this. But I like the fact that Magic is proactively marketing the Lakers as a free agent destination.

We actually got younger this offseason and if the max guys don't come they will still be working in a buyer's market in free agency with lots of space. I disliked the Russell deal but Lopez, Kuzma and that opportunity wasn't exactly a poor return. Plus, Lonzo brings the type of attention guys want.

That's true, except that a buyer's market for ordinary players and even minor stars isn't worth much. Our goal is to win titles, not to be a successful small market franchise, right? In order for this strategy to succeed, we need to land at least one big fish.

Someone else ran through the list, but it bears repeating:

Westbrook -- In my opinion, RW is the only big fish worth talking about. I am not a big fan of his game, but I respect that he would alter the trajectory of the franchise. I'm not sure what we would do with Ball if Westbrook arrived. I'm also not getting the vibe that Westbrook plans to leave OKC, but you never know.

Lebron -- I can imagine him thinking about coming to LA to expand his brand (I analogized this to David Beckham in another thread), but I think he will conclude that leaving the Cavs a second time would do more damage to his legacy. Anyway, he may be a physical freak, but Father Time is undefeated. He would be a diminishing asset.

Durant -- I would expect the Warriors to do what it takes to keep him.

Paul George -- He is well below the first three.

Best of the rest -- Chris Paul, DMC, DAJ, Carmelo. Color me unimpressed.

The point is that it may be a buyer's market if you want to chase DAJ or someone like that, but if you want to change the trajectory of the franchise, it's a seller's market all the way.

The formula of winning championships is heavy reliant on superstars. That's why I don't mind Magic and our FO going hard at 2 max free agents while keeping Zo and the Untouchable for our future. That the best way moving forward. It it takes some nice complimentary pieces to be casualties then so be it.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

I think of LeBron to LA as Shaq was to Miami or what Kareem was to the Lakers' 80's runs. Not good enough to get you over the top but can drag you up the mountain. The thing that makes it so intriguing is that he fits the passing, playing the right way mantra so well.

You would need that bridge star but even as James declines he still is one of the four corners of a title team.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I think of LeBron to LA as Shaq was to Miami or what Kareem was to the Lakers' 80's runs. Not good enough to get you over the top but can drag you up the mountain. The thing that makes it so intriguing is that he fits the passing, playing the right way mantra so well.

You would need that bridge star but even as James declines he still is one of the four corners of a title team.

LeBron being a historian of the game, knows all about stars coming to LA. I think on some level, that's something intriguing.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Snaq was 24, Kareem was 28. Lebron would be 34. Barring a rash of injuries (to which he seems immune), he would be a positive addition for a year or two. But:

1. Lebron will demand that the team be molded to suit him. Would you really want to do that for a guy who is past his sell-by date?

2. We already had the KFT. Are we going to have the LFT, too?
BleedPurpleGold
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
M2K wrote:
trablos wrote:
How would you guys rate them if we still had Dlo and Moz, but added ball and kuzma and didn't sign any FA's?

See... there's a catch to this option. I would rather have traded Randle / Clarkson in a salary dump and kept DLO.

I believe Magic chose to keep Randle and trade DLO. My problem with that is... I don't see Randle ceiling anywhere near as high as DLOs.

I agree with this. I believe you could have dumped Moz with Randle+a 1st (from 3rd team for JC)

What you "believe" really doesn't mean much. That's nothing personal, just reality. A lot of work was put into trying to move that contract - and Deng's - to try to create much-needed salary cap space. And many different names/combinations were discussed. It's presumptuous to say "this/that/this" would have accomplished the objective.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

BleedPurpleGold wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
M2K wrote:
trablos wrote:
How would you guys rate them if we still had Dlo and Moz, but added ball and kuzma and didn't sign any FA's?

See... there's a catch to this option. I would rather have traded Randle / Clarkson in a salary dump and kept DLO.

I believe Magic chose to keep Randle and trade DLO. My problem with that is... I don't see Randle ceiling anywhere near as high as DLOs.

I agree with this. I believe you could have dumped Moz with Randle+a 1st (from 3rd team for JC)

What you "believe" really doesn't mean much. That's nothing personal, just reality. A lot of work was put into trying to move that contract - and Deng's - to try to create much-needed salary cap space. And many different names/combinations were discussed. It's presumptuous to say "this/that/this" would have accomplished the objective.

Simply stretching the 2 next off season, would have accomplished the objective. But it's clear the FO didn't hold DLO in high regards & saw him as very expandable with Ball coming in.
BleedPurpleGold
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
BleedPurpleGold wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
M2K wrote:
trablos wrote:

Simply stretching the 2 next off season, would have accomplished the objective. But it's clear the FO didn't hold DLO in high regards & saw him as very expandable with Ball coming in.

Stretching is painful enough with one contract let alone two
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
BleedPurpleGold wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
M2K wrote:
trablos wrote:

Not true, it wouldn't have. The FO needed to ditch either Mozgov or Deng's contract in order to get two maxes for sure in 2018 (with one of them being a 35% max). That's why they first offered an unprotected future 1st along to take on one of them. When that failed, they presumably decided to trade their only asset with enough value that they also considered expendable (Russell, as opposed to Ingram and Ball).
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Snaq was 24, Kareem was 28. Lebron would be 34. Barring a rash of injuries (to which he seems immune), he would be a positive addition for a year or two. But:

1. Lebron will demand that the team be molded to suit him. Would you really want to do that for a guy who is past his sell-by date?

2. We already had the KFT. Are we going to have the LFT, too?

Shaq to Miami, not LA and Kareem later in his career during the mid 80s (I realize he joined LA before that but relating to the 84-89 runs).

I don't think LeBron would do the same thing in LA he did in Cleveland regarding the roster. He would require LA thinks win now which would color some of the choices but that's not all bad with him in the fold. That type of move wouldn't necessarily be Ball for the next Kevin Love.

Kobe was in years 19-20 post Achilles for KFT. Very different from the level LeBron plays at over the next four seasons (barring injury).
BleedPurpleGold
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
BleedPurpleGold wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
M2K wrote:
trablos wrote:

Not true, it wouldn't have. The FO needed to ditch either Mozgov or Deng's contract in order to get two maxes for sure in 2018 (with one of them being a 35% max). That's why they first offered an unprotected future 1st along to take on one of them. When that failed, they presumably decided to trade their only asset with enough value that they also considered expendable (Russell, as opposed to Ingram and Ball).

Indeed
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
1 poster came to your defense...3 chastized him for it.

This is your response? Okay, let me be clear. I really don't care what you think about me, and I really don't care about your attempts to play amateur psychologist with other posters. If you can't limit yourself to addressing the substance of my posts, please just ignore them. I will do my best to ignore anything you say from this time forward.

My entire response is my response...you continue to try and ignore the entirety of my posts. Is this an attempt to instigate conflict?

There is a thread for negativity...can you please take this non-sense there.

This thread isn't about me or you...it's about the new FO.

Ignore me if you like...but if you choose to quote me...please quote the entirety of my posts and not a small clip to support your fictitious indignation.

#BannersOverBillboards
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Magic/Pelinka = Lonzo

Link that proves this?

Everything we've heard has been about Magic and Rob scounting him in Chicago and moving him up the board from 2nd to 1st round and this being why they rejected the initial DLo/Moz trade because it didnt include a 1st.

And in the new FO I doubt any of them look at it like this...these are team picks...they are functioning as a team...as quoted by Jesse during the Trudell interview 6 days before the draft.

This information didn't come from a link, yeah it's part of a team collaborative process but that's not completely accurate.

The scouts watch way more games and players than Magic/Pelinka and have been following guys for years. For the deeper picks, the scouts are depended on more. They rank all the players into tiers so they can have more debate and know that there's sometimes a bigger difference between two players that could be ranked next to each other. While it is a team process, it often takes someone advocating for a certain player to really kind of narrow the focus down and convince others. Chicago is only part of the process for a guy like Kuzma.

We did the exact same thing with Nance. They watched him for four years, attended games, watched him closer his senior year. Nance had a great showing in Chicago, but it was still Jesse advocating for him that got him on the radar and pushed him to the top of our list when that pick came around. It's a long process, especially for these older players. It's not just one workout or one showing at a combine...that certainly helps seal the deal...but these are already guys on the radar and being advocated by a scout before that to get the team on the same page on a pick.

The rejecting the Nets deal isn't part of this equation. We still had the very next pick and a 80-90% chance of getting Kuzma there. We just wanted another asset coming in for that trade.

But yes, it's a team process and Jesse will say that...but Jesse will also say that individuals advocate, push and stick their necks out for a player they believe in.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Magic/Pelinka = Lonzo

Link that proves this?

Everything we've heard has been about Magic and Rob scounting him in Chicago and moving him up the board from 2nd to 1st round and this being why they rejected the initial DLo/Moz trade because it didnt include a 1st.

And in the new FO I doubt any of them look at it like this...these are team picks...they are functioning as a team...as quoted by Jesse during the Trudell interview 6 days before the draft.

This information didn't come from a link, yeah it's part of a team collaborative process but that's not completely accurate.

The scouts watch way more games and players than Magic/Pelinka and have been following guys for years. For the deeper picks, the scouts are depended on more. They rank all the players into tiers so they can have more debate and know that there's sometimes a bigger difference between two players that could be ranked next to each other. While it is a team process, it often takes someone advocating for a certain player to really kind of narrow the focus down and convince others. Chicago is only part of the process for a guy like Kuzma.

We did the exact same thing with Nance. They watched him for four years, attended games, watched him closer his senior year. Nance had a great showing in Chicago, but it was still Jesse advocating for him that got him on the radar and pushed him to the top of our list when that pick came around. It's a long process, especially for these older players. It's not just one workout or one showing at a combine...that certainly helps seal the deal...but these are already guys on the radar and being advocated by a scout before that to get the team on the same page on a pick.

The rejecting the Nets deal isn't part of this equation. We still had the very next pick and a 80-90% chance of getting Kuzma there. We just wanted another asset coming in for that trade.

But yes, it's a team process and Jesse will say that...but Jesse will also say that individuals advocate, push and stick their necks out for a player they believe in.

I'm with you on this...based on what Rob and Magic have said it sounded like they wanted Kuzma badly. This was my point about the trade with BKN...it had to have a 1st rounder to work.

They're all functioning as a team. Magic has everyone at all these events working together. Jesse is definitely the Buss most like his dad imo and he deserves as much credit as anyone...but Magic and Rob at least deserve credit for seeing where there talent is on the FO team, retaining them, including them, and trusting in them.

Translation...I just dont think we can call Kuzma as a Jesse pick a fact when it's a team effort and this is actually antagonistic to how we do things now.

And I realize you didnt call it a fact...but others have tried to.

It's a team game...this is the power of Magic...individual credit takes a far back seat to winning as a team.

#BannersOverBillboards
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I don't think LeBron would do the same thing in LA he did in Cleveland regarding the roster. He would require LA thinks win now which would color some of the choices but that's not all bad with him in the fold. That type of move wouldn't necessarily be Ball for the next Kevin Love.

Actually, the Kevin Love trade looks like a good deal in hindsight. Bennett remained a bust, and Wiggins has never lived up to the hype. But that's neither here nor there.

The problem with a "win now" approach with Lebron is that it is literally "win now or bust." You have to assume that Lebron would be done, or at least in serious decline, after a couple years. If you burn the young assets and go deep into luxury tax territory, you get to re-live the last four years. When we're done with Space Jam 2, we'd get Groundhog Day 2.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Cervantes. DB just told you what actually went down, giving you the inside story, and your bias can't help but ignore it. Nance/Kuzma/Clarkson/Hart/Bryant were Jesse picks, not Magic/Pelinka picks. Yes, that's a fact. I have the same information DB has. It's a fact. This is not his nor my opinion. However, if you want to believe media spin and press conferences more than what DB and I are telling you, feel free.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Cervantes. DB just told you what actually went down, giving you the inside story, and your bias can't help but ignore it. Nance/Kuzma/Clarkson/Hart/Bryant were Jesse picks, not Magic/Pelinka picks. Yes, that's a fact. I have the same information DB has. It's a fact. This is not his nor my opinion. However, if you want to believe media spin and press conferences more than what DB and I are telling you, feel free.

So it's a team process...but Jesse gets all the credit for Kuzma, Hart, Bryant?

You're calling me biased and can't see your own?

You both have inside sources...great...why does it matter who identified the player if ultimately everyone agrees on the pick?

If it's a team process, then it's a team process.

Jesse said in an interview that he wasn't sold on Lonzo until a couple of weeks before the draft, but that everyone is working together in the best interests of the team.

I'm a huge fan of Jesse and have been on record for a long time in support of him...why isn't that good enough for you here?

You guys are trying to promote individual success over that of the team and that's the biggest problem I have with this right now. Why does it matter who id the player when clearly everyone is on the same page with the decision and everyone is equally excited about how it's all coming together?

I just don't understand. DB doesn't seem to have as big an issue...but you do? why?

The TEAM got the picks right. Jesse has a great eye...the scouting department did a great job...Magic and Rob made sure we had the picks to get the players...the TEAM is better off for it. Why are you pressing this issue with me? And why does it have to be a Jesse pick vs a Magic/Rob pick when they are clearly working together all along the way as a TEAM?

PM me if you want to keep this going...I'm out.

#BannersOverBillboards
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

I'm with you on this...based on what Rob and Magic have said it sounded like they wanted Kuzma badly. This was my point about the trade with BKN...it had to have a 1st rounder to work.

They're all functioning as a team. Magic has everyone at all these events working together. Jesse is definitely the Buss most like his dad imo and he deserves as much credit as anyone...but Magic and Rob at least deserve credit for seeing where there talent is on the FO team, retaining them, including them, and trusting in them.

Translation...I just dont think we can call Kuzma as a Jesse pick a fact when it's a team effort and this is actually antagonistic to how we do things now.

And I realize you didnt call it a fact...but others have tried to.

It's a team game...this is the power of Magic...individual credit takes a far back seat to winning as a team.

It has always been a team game and the Lakers have always approached the draft this way. I agree that Jesse is showing himself to be a quality talent evaluator.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
BleedPurpleGold wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
M2K wrote:
trablos wrote:

h

What I see is the FO evaluated there asset and DLo was is the bottom of that order. They are looking for energy n quickness n def potential, which DLo lacks.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Car54 wrote:
krisobe wrote:
Ball/Kuzma >>>>>>>> DLO

BALL DLO>>>>>>>>>>>>BALL Kuzma

Hard to have this opinion when you factor in D and runouts...

Ball Kuzma Lopez>>>>>>>>>Ball D'LO Moz (for 3 more years)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Was DLO 100% Mitch's call? I feel like Ingram was the obvious choice in 16, but I'm curious on 15.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
BleedPurpleGold wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
M2K wrote:
trablos wrote:

Good job toxxie. People create narrative based on their assumptions
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject:

lakeshowtacular wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Car54 wrote:
krisobe wrote:
Ball/Kuzma >>>>>>>> DLO

BALL DLO>>>>>>>>>>>>BALL Kuzma

Hard to have this opinion when you factor in D and runouts...

Ball Kuzma Lopez>>>>>>>>>Ball D'LO Moz (for 3 more years)

Don't forget to add who ever we get with Moz's capspace in 2018. Unless we used it to resign Lopez or Randle, then whatever...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: