Lonzo aside this year's summer league team is much better organized than year's past
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Lonzo aside this year's summer league team is much better organized than year's past

I remember the past two summer league teams were all pretty much pick up ball, very chaotic on offense and metador on defense. Seems to me this year's version is much better organized on both ends. You can actually see the coaching efforts being put into these games. Of course Lonzo is a big part of it, but I don't think he's the only reason. The entire coaching staff is being put on notice by the new regime, magic and pelinka don't mess around out there.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Its not "Lonzo aside", it's because of Lonzo!

Exhibit A: That 4th quarter!
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:

Yeah

As I was watching the 4th quarter I thought to myself "Damn, this looks like last years team".

Lonzo is a HUGE difference maker. The team can sustain it for a bit, but after a while it devolves into a bunch of one on one.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Yup. Was texting with a friend during the game and we both were thinking this is the most team ball we've ever seen in SPL play.

Got sloppy down the stretch with Lonzo out but the team still continued to play within the team and not going hero ball. Even Vander Blue kept it in check.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Yup. Was texting with a friend during the game and we both were thinking this is the most team ball we've ever seen in SPL play.

Got sloppy down the stretch with Lonzo out but the team still continued to play within the team and not going hero ball. Even Vander Blue kept it in check.

I had the exact same scenario going. The coaching staff seems to.be really getting through to these kids. They all fight for loose balls, hustle on D and it honestly to me, seems like they know....the more opportunities we create with hustle or d the more we have chances on offense from Zo.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lonzo aside this year's summer league team is much better organized than year's past

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I remember the past two summer league teams were all pretty much pick up ball, very chaotic on offense and metador on defense. Seems to me this year's version is much better organized on both ends. You can actually see the coaching efforts being put into these games. Of course Lonzo is a big part of it, but I don't think he's the only reason. The entire coaching staff is being put on notice by the new regime, magic and pelinka don't mess around out there.

If you take out Lonzo, you get last year's team. Nothing has changed.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

the offense was stagnant when Lonzo went out. Kuzma barely got touches after Lonzo went out.

Can't be "Lonzo aside".
LakerSanity

Yea, I'm not sure you can say "Lonzo aside" here.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Some of us said the same thing when we said UCLA was average without Lonzo.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

We've had more wide open looks this summer than all of last season.
The system (GSW light) is working and there are quite a few easy opportunities being created.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

I was skeptical at first about Lonzo being able to "change the culture" or whatever at this level, but I'm a believer now, he completely revolutionized every team he's been on at every level, our sl team fell apart and looked like crap when he went out. I have no doubts our actual regular season team is going to follow suit and play some nice unselfish ball. Kid is a transcendent talent for lack of a better term.

Last edited by DangeRuss on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

I think part of it is that the rotation is tighter.
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
We've had more wide open looks this summer than all of last season.
The system (GSW light) is working and there are quite a few easy opportunities being created.

this is more ssol offense than golden states and rightfully so, early transition offense usually is the best offense
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

But if Fultz played on UCLA, they would've won as much if not more and Washington would've won less with Ball! Lonzo makes winning plays, period. All game, all season long. The guy elevates his teammates everywhere he goes. He's not "lucky that he's been surrounded by the perfect teammates". C'mon now.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:

You mean it's not Coach Jud?
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject:

It's due to Lonzo. Blue played iso ball in first game and got benched in the next. Jabari Brown did that throughout the SL in 2015. It was a clear sign that you gotta adapt to Lonzo's style rather than play hero ball like typical SL. No chance for undrafted players to make the team that way THIS year. Magic himself said they made changes in 2nd game to have players that suits Lonzo's game. You will see that culture change with the first team too. Expect JC, JR to make morre high IQ plays when Lonzo is running the show.

Last edited by saetarubia on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:

Lonzo just plays at a different level. I'm sure he will struggle a bit when the real league starts but I have confidence based on his IQ, work ethic and IT factor, he will adjust and take off.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

But if Fultz played on UCLA, they would've won as much if not more and Washington would've won less with Ball! Lonzo makes winning plays, period. All game, all season long. The guy elevates his teammates everywhere he goes. He's not "lucky that he's been surrounded by the perfect teammates". C'mon now.

I never watched UCLA basketball and didn't watch most of the season because I though the Lakers would lose the pick. Who knew other than the hardcore Bruins fans.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Ball movement has been good but it's pretty clear Lonzo is the single biggest reason we're beating everyone else's summer league squads.

Second biggest reason is Kuzma.

Then tied for third is Buechler's coaching and players like Thomas, Caruso and Blue playing gritty AF in the trenches this time around.

I will say this - the DLeague guys on this squad are moving the ball very well, much better than I'm used to seeing. How much of that is Buechler's coaching, an how much of it is the infectious nature of Ball's leadership on the court is hard to say. Probably both.

It's been a FUN summer league - one more game. Let's hope it's worth watching like the rest have been!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo is the sun and the moon on this team.
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

It starts first and foremost with Lonzo - no doubt. He's created this 'culture.'

BUT I noticed that when Lonzo went out they kept running the offense (at least initially before it devolved with the pressure of a tightening game). Some might attribute that to Coach Jud or Magic & Pelinka, but I think a big factor is that this was their 7th game. The way summer league is set up, if don't win in the tournament, you never really get a chance to gel.

This team is playing for one another (a rare sight in SL to be sure) - it started with Zo, but continues due to practice and reps imo.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:

Lonzo just plays at a different level. I'm sure he will struggle a bit when the real league starts but I have confidence based on his IQ, work ethic and IT factor, he will adjust and take off.

You owe me half a beer (that i spit out laughing at that comment)!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:

You owe me half a beer (that i spit out laughing at that comment)!!

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lonzo aside this year's summer league team is much better organized than year's past

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

i've siad this a lot watching spl games over the years. if you dont have a point guard(point forward..point something) your team will be a hot mess in the summer league. too many young guys with too many slightly older guys still trying to get in the nba via scoring. no one is passing or no one can pass without turning the ball over a ton. too many scorers means too many guys are trying to find their spots to score vs just running the offense and going off of feel.

this team has possibly the best true passing pg the nba has seen a long time. then they have solid passers at other positions while also having caruso who is a solid passer too. then to boot these guys seem to be of a higher overall IQ as a team than in years past.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo said before the summer league the goal was to win it and I think some thought he was kidding.

This is a serious guy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: