Does this roster need more defense and another enforcer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Does this roster need more defense and another enforcer?

I always like the physical play of our championship teams. My question is who is going to break noses on this Laker team? Who will play dirty when we need them to. How do we get an edge in the playoffs without a Rondo or a Meta World Peace.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject:

With Nwaba gone they need perimeter defense to spell KCP. Hoping Hart, Ingram step into that role. Also need a secondary rim protector next to Brook now that Black is gone. TB will inevitably fill that role but he's not ready right now. There are question marks with Zu.

I think it will sort itself out in the next few seasons. Some guys will emerge as "enforcers" IMO.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

JC will 2 Piece a fool
Tick
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Does this roster need more defense and another enforcer?

Jellojigglin wrote:
I always like the physical play of our championship teams. My question is who is going to break noses on this Laker team? Who will play dirty when we need them to. How do we get an edge in the playoffs without a Rondo or a Meta World Peace.

I think the league is so much different now than it was 10 years ago, or rather during our championship teams. No team or player can play the kind of defense that took place back in the day because of the uptick in accuracy of todays 3 point shooters. Today, teams have 3-4 deadly shooters that can drain that 3 point shot, and that spreads the defense razor thin. Today's defenses are going to be more "situational." They're going to need to target certain players on certain plays. That is what it's come to right now. It's not because today's players play poor defense, the players of yesterday would do no better (if not worse) than todays defenders if they were faced with the spacing tasks of today's NBA. You can't full court press or trap an entire quarter, let alone game, before the defense runs out of gas, or the offense breaks it down. All you can do is contest, and hope he misses the shot. Press him too hard from way outside, and he'll go right around you. Get physical and foul a 3 point shooter and it's 3 free throws, or worse...a potential 4 point play.

The premium will be on quickness, speed, agility, and most importantly...uber communication with you teammates.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

Tony Allen could certainly help on defense.

Not sure an enforcer is really needed, you can't leave the bench anyway in a skirmish.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject:

I think more importantly than some enforcer off the bench, this team needs some 2 way players to rise up from our young players as all-defense level defenders.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Does this roster need more defense and another enforcer?

Jellojigglin wrote:

I hope you mean the regular season roster which we're not 100% sure what it's going to be like yet. However the nba is past the hard nose days of basketball. You touch somebody a bit hard and it's a flagrant. It's about protecting those guards and scoring a lot of points not about gritty hand checking defense any longer.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

I think we still have Brewer

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

Byron, is that you?
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Does this roster need more defense and another enforcer?

Jellojigglin wrote:

First things first - the team needs to actually get to the playoffs. We're not there yet.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Byron, is that you?

This team needs to 'Man Up!' (sd w/ arms folded)
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Not sure an enforcer is really needed, you can't leave the bench anyway in a skirmish.

Actually in today's NBA, Tony Allen and "enforcer" are one and the same. He's tough, prides himself on defending well, and is always serious about winning.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

Nwaba:(
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

We don't need an enforcer, it's 2017 not 1997.

We need reliable shooting.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Tony Allen helps the defense of both teams.
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

People don't even know what being an enforcer even means anymore if they watch the finals and thought there was no physicality. I swear people think there were fistfights and Rambis clotheslines every game back in the day.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

If Julius wants to be a building block he will have to play this role. He's big enough, quick enough and has shown the ability to bang. His extension is coming up. Be that guy. It's a focus/effort deal.
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Does this roster need more defense and another enforcer?

Tick wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

I think the league is so much different now than it was 10 years ago, or rather during our championship teams. No team or player can play the kind of defense that took place back in the day because of the uptick in accuracy of todays 3 point shooters. Today, teams have 3-4 deadly shooters that can drain that 3 point shot, and that spreads the defense razor thin. Today's defenses are going to be more "situational." They're going to need to target certain players on certain plays. That is what it's come to right now. It's not because today's players play poor defense, the players of yesterday would do no better (if not worse) than todays defenders if they were faced with the spacing tasks of today's NBA. You can't full court press or trap an entire quarter, let alone game, before the defense runs out of gas, or the offense breaks it down. All you can do is contest, and hope he misses the shot. Press him too hard from way outside, and he'll go right around you. Get physical and foul a 3 point shooter and it's 3 free throws, or worse...a potential 4 point play.

The premium will be on quickness, speed, agility, and most importantly...uber communication with you teammates.

The Spurs say hello. What you said is the way it's supposed to be but... playoff are a different animal where somebody purposely or undecidedly steps into that enforcer role. It made GS path to the finals pretty easy. Opps... Did I say that, That was an ACCIDENT! Lol. Like Steven A says .... "An Accident waiting to happen". It's the playoffs Baby!
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

Bring back Kendall Marshall. He will spread the message of there is no need to get involved, and save us lots of Ts and suspensions.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Tony Allen helps the defense of both teams.

Hey 24, could you change my username to "Ball Boy" please?
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

Lakers could use a thug because the elite teams all have tough players. If you think CP3 or Kobe are nice guys think again. Dikembe Mutombo elbows have done a lot of damage over the years. Left in his wake were 25 affected players, five broken noses, 20 stitches.

The log:

April 20, 2004: Kenyon Martin, hit in the eye and retaliated by clubbing Mutombo across the arm. Received a technical foul

March 31, 2003: Yao Ming, hit in the throat. Mutombo assessed flagrant foul

Feb. 4, 2002: Vince Carter, hit in the gut

May 16, 2001: Vince Carter, hit in the head. Carter did not return to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference playoffs

May 6, 2001: Chris Childs, broken nose

Feb. 26, 2001: Ray Allen, broken nose

Jan. 13, 2001: Corey Maggette, eye trauma

Dec. 28, 2000: Chauncey Billups, hit in the mouth, four stitches, fractured front tooth

Feb. 6, 1999: Jayson Williams, broken nose

May 4, 1999: Mark Strickland, broken nose

May 8, 1999: Lindsey Hunter, left eye

May 8, 1999: Christian Laettner, cut on face

April 9, 1999: Chris Childs, lost a tooth; Marcus Camby, shot to throat; Larry Johnson, hit in the head; Patrick Ewing, hit in the head

March 4, 1999: Kevin Willis, injured shoulder. Missed several games

May 6, 1997: Dennis Rodman, retaliated and ejected with second technical foul

April 12, 1997: Tom Gugliotta, broken nose

Jan. 30, 1997: Antoine Carr, knocked senseless

Jan. 4, 1997: Charles Oakley, four stitches to the lip

Oct. 22, 1996: Michael Jordan, bloodied nose (preseason game)

April 10, 1994: Robert Horry, hit in the head, fell to the floor

Dec. 30, 1993: Chris Webber; Mutombo later ejected for taunting Chris Gatling

Dec. 28, 1991: Robert Parish, hit the floor

Nov. 29, 1991: Ricky Pierce, 12 stitches in forehead
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Yes. We need Maurice Lucas.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

We haven't seen this roster play. Perhaps there's a stout-minded edgy defender among the returning faces (Ingram ? Nance ? Deng ?) or the incoming faces (KCP ? Hart ? Kuzma ?). There's probably some upgrade to be seen at the defensive end of the court, but it's too early to know much.

That said, the player list itself doesn't look like a roster built to compete for championship at either end of the court, not yet at least.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
We haven't seen this roster play. Perhaps there's a stout-minded edgy defender among the returning faces (Ingram ? Nance ? Deng ?) or the incoming faces (KCP ? Hart ? Kuzma ?). There's probably some upgrade to be seen at the defensive end of the court, but it's too early to know much.

That said, the player list itself doesn't look like a roster built to compete for championship at either end of the court, not yet at least.

Compared to our starting roster at the beginning of last season our defense has completely transformed.

Poor to average defenders who are now gone:
Frodo
Calderon
Williams
DLO
Swaggy

The guys have have replaced them are all good very great defenders.
Lonzo- IMO, this kid has had multiple 5 steal game so far. He is good on D.
Brewer
Kuzma
Hart
Bald Pope
Big Mamba
K Pope
Lopez- seems like he gets a lot of blocked shots, but not sure he is good at D. Prob a wash with Mozgov.

The only poor defenders left on the roster are Jules and Clarkson.

I will miss Tarik and Nwaba. Those guys liked to play D.

Safe to say our defense will be much improved this season.
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

This roster needs good players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: