OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 380, 381, 382 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
This dude is frickin incredible! The Lakers have been blessed!

I agree, and I admit that I wasn't a Lonzo fan, in fact I wanted Fox. Probably because I did not believe the hype from his dad and his performance in college did not seem like a big deal. However now I see what a great orchestrator he is and the way he changes his teammates. His dad is right, point guards are not measured by stats but by wins, and Lonzo does what it takes to win.
I'm tired of reading how bad his shot is, or how he doesn't defend etc. He simply does what it takes to win plain and simple. That's what made Magic such a great player, he knew how to drive that great engine with that 80's Lakers team.

So did I. In retrospect it was Lamar that caused my unsureness of Zo. Watching him play has given me reason to believe we're on our way back.

I'm probably in a minority who thinks, hopes, we'll get the 8th spot in the playoffs. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
I'd love for Kobe to teach him how to work better in the post, teach him footwork, and midrange. If Zo can add these aspects to his already impressive game, look out.

I saw him post up once last night and he hit a nice little fadeaway. With his size and passing ability, he can get that shot anytime he wants. I also saw a midrange floater in the game before. It looked natural and I'd like to see more of that.

He needs to consistently add these to his game and I think he eventually will. I haven't been this excited about a Laker rookie since Kobe. Free agents will want to play with this dude.

Lakers need to get both BI and Lonzo heavy time with both Kobe and Magic. Both can learn so much from those 2 and if they could learn from those 2 together, oh my.

Magic has talked about working with Zo and BI said he plans to work with Kobe but I want to see them all work with one another.

Those two, just marvelous in their potential, working with two of our HoF'ers? Then, in 2018 having two max slots? One word for the league: SCARED!
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ricardoJPC wrote:
was seeing some DSJ highlights on youtube and in the comment section there were lots of people saying lonzo is a bust and the 10 assists was a fluke because everyone was making threes on the lakers team. Really, sometimes i think that,outside of this board, no one has a clue about basketball

There are people on this board saying the same thing. Glad As Hell LS Calmed Them Da F*** Down.

Smith isn't what the Lakers need. He's shoot first. I saw him drive the lane and had a teammate open on the wing. He took three or more dribbles to get HIMSELF open instead of passing to the wing.

Love DSJ's individual talent. He's an uber-athletic version of Lou Williams in that he's, like Jeff Van Gundy labeled Lou, "a professional scorer". And, being such, the last thing we needed.

DSJ is a phenomenal individual talent. Ball, otoh, has the ability to transform an entire franchise.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

I agree, and I admit that I wasn't a Lonzo fan, in fact I wanted Fox. Probably because I did not believe the hype from his dad and his performance in college did not seem like a big deal. However now I see what a great orchestrator he is and the way he changes his teammates. His dad is right, point guards are not measured by stats but by wins, and Lonzo does what it takes to win.
I'm tired of reading how bad his shot is, or how he doesn't defend etc. He simply does what it takes to win plain and simple. That's what made Magic such a great player, he knew how to drive that great engine with that 80's Lakers team.

So did I. In retrospect it was Lamar that caused my unsureness of Zo. Watching him play has given me reason to believe we're on our way back.

I'm probably in a minority who thinks, hopes, we'll get the 8th spot in the playoffs. [url=/6468/fae0077ce55e1caebc550f31f7fcc4d33a7c01c9_hq.gif] LINK [/url]

I also believe in the possibility of 8th spot in the playoffs. Honestly if the veterans on the team buy into what he does and let's him orchestrate things, the sky is the limit.They're all going to love playing with him and that's going to make their job so easy.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Lonzo tweaked a muscle. I hope it's not the shoes. I wish he'd settle on one make. I hope his shoes are fitted. Even if they are there has to be a difference.

C'mon Man, get a BBB manufacturer and stop with the messing around. I hope this different shoe every night is a ploy to sign a shoe deal. Giter done Zo.
he's not wearing chuck taylors. so its not the shoes. sure he should settle on a pair. but remember even if he does. they change the style of the shoe every few months now. not even every year. this isnt the reason for injuries. unless the shoe itself was poorly made.

the injury is due to him playing so many games so close together and not playing much 5 v 5 since he left UCLA. its too much on his body at the moment. but he'll be ok. he might be out for tonights game which sucks but his body will become more acclimated to the rigors of the nba soon enough. It could take up to a season or so to get there fully. with real pro nba training and going up against bigger/stronger guys every night. travelling, playing at a faster pace vs nba comp night in and night out.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

I'm probably in a minority who thinks, hopes, we'll get the 8th spot in the playoffs. [url=/6468/fae0077ce55e1caebc550f31f7fcc4d33a7c01c9_hq.gif] LINK [/url]

I also believe in the possibility of 8th spot in the playoffs. Honestly if the veterans on the team buy into what he does and let's him orchestrate things, the sky is the limit.They're all going to love playing with him and that's going to make their job so easy.
the problem we may run into is hitting 3's at a high clip and defense.

if we can do either one of those things properly all season long. we can make the playoffs. if we can do both of them all season long we can get to the 2nd round(still lose. but hey, i'll take it.)
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If you're a big time scorer, you're going to want to play with this kid. He won't monopolize the ball and he'll get you easy buckets. I could imagine PG13 for example having a great scoring year with Lonzo facilitating. Takes a lot of the hard work out of having to ISO your way into scoring.

One of my favorite things he does is that he notices when he has a guy on the wing running up court who's defender is below the free throw line. He immediately gets the ball to that guy on the move, and it forces the defender to close out, making it easier for the wing to get by him. And if the defender doesn't close out it's an in rhythm 3. It basically turns what should be a half court set in to effectively a semi-transition situation, and makes it whole hell of a lot easier for the wing than if their defender was set.

He does that what seems like almost every other possession for guys like Vander Blue and Matt Thomas. Imagine him doing it for BI and KCP, and hopefully PG eventually.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

Some dude who is involved in AAU called into the morning show on espn710. He said Lonzo folds when he's challenged physically and verbally, chirping etc. He said Fox is in his head, calls him "Kevin Garnett in a guard's body." I think he means that Fox talks a lot. He went on to say Fox or DSJ would win rookie of the year. Also said that the lakers should get one more vet to help Lonzo when the NBA guys start chirping him and physically challenging him.

He also said Ingram is going to be good but that he was a late bloomer (11th grade) and he will just basically be a 16 and 8 guy with good defense.

Which one of you called in? j/k
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Some dude who is involved in AAU called into the morning show on espn710. He said Lonzo folds when he's challenged physically and verbally, chirping etc. He said Fox is in his head, calls him "Kevin Garnett in a guard's body." I think he means that Fox talks a lot. He went on to say Fox or DSJ would win rookie of the year. Also said that the lakers should get one more vet to help Lonzo when the NBA guys start chirping him and physically challenging him.

He also said Ingram is going to be good but that he was a late bloomer (11th grade) and he will just basically be a 16 and 8 guy with good defense.

So we're just quoting random fools off the radio now with their cold takes?

Fox hasn't even played since Alex Caruso destroyed him. Who's in who's head now?
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If you're a big time scorer, you're going to want to play with this kid. He won't monopolize the ball and he'll get you easy buckets. I could imagine PG13 for example having a great scoring year with Lonzo facilitating. Takes a lot of the hard work out of having to ISO your way into scoring.

yinoma...spotrac says we are at a projected 51.8M for next year if we retain JC and Randle...wondering how you're getting your numbers that we still need to trade players to get to the max for 2 FAs.

Can you enlighten?

#BannersOverBillboards
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yinoma...spotrac says we are at a projected 51.8M for next year if we retain JC and Randle...wondering how you're getting your numbers that we still need to trade players to get to the max for 2 FAs.

Can you enlighten?

Trade JC, trade or stretch Deng
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

So we're just quoting random fools off the radio now with their cold takes?

Fox hasn't even played since Alex Caruso destroyed him. Who's in who's head now?

Well, I thought it was entertaining take. Also, no other calls were taken and he did seem to be involved.

I'm not saying I agree or that he's even right, just thought I would share and yes, Fox talked so much (bleep) that the Caruso had to be unleashed on him. Poor Fox

Ps- he's probably just a Lavar/Lonzo or Lakers hater.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1596542

Lonzo has his own thread on the Celtics forum

Check it out before they delete it.

Here, as well...

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=92706.0

Although most fans on this thread are saying that we'll still suck next year, and give them our pick.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

Great stat courtesy of GT.

https://twitter.com/lakerfilmroom/status/886993015197192192
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1596542

Lonzo has his own thread on the Celtics forum

Check it out before they delete it.

Here, as well...

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=92706.0

Although most fans on this thread are saying that we'll still suck next year, and give them our pick.

You know how I can disregard an opinion? When someone says Lonzo isn't as good as Tatum. Tatum isn't even as good as Kuzma.

The sheer laziness of just calling Lonzo "another Ricky Rubio" or saying "he can't shoot" is insulting. But you can tell they're nervous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can you enlighten?

Just look at my sig. I broke down the math.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Really loving this kid's game throughout summer league. Question marks I had before the draft have been answered in spades. Dude can ball straight up. He's been mad impressive.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Lonzo tweaked a muscle. I hope it's not the shoes. I wish he'd settle on one make. I hope his shoes are fitted. Even if they are there has to be a difference.

C'mon Man, get a BBB manufacturer and stop with the messing around. I hope this different shoe every night is a ploy to sign a shoe deal. Giter done Zo.
he's not wearing chuck taylors. so its not the shoes. sure he should settle on a pair. but remember even if he does. they change the style of the shoe every few months now. not even every year. this isnt the reason for injuries. unless the shoe itself was poorly made.

the injury is due to him playing so many games so close together and not playing much 5 v 5 since he left UCLA. its too much on his body at the moment. but he'll be ok. he might be out for tonights game which sucks but his body will become more acclimated to the rigors of the nba soon enough. It could take up to a season or so to get there fully. with real pro nba training and going up against bigger/stronger guys every night. travelling, playing at a faster pace vs nba comp night in and night out.

You can get a calf strain running 2 miles on concrete. Just happens sometimes, he'll be fine.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Plus his defense can be improved over time. He has a good enough shot and it will eventually be good enough, if not great. When those happen look out NBA.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

I am not concerned about the playoffs this year, as long as we show marked improvement. 40 wins and the #9 or 10 spot would be solid.

Of course, making the playoffs in Lonzo's rookie season would have FA's beating down the door to get to LA.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

I'm probably in a minority who thinks, hopes, we'll get the 8th spot in the playoffs. LINK

I had two cases of beer on the line before the DLO trade that if the Lakers took Lonzo and he stays healthy they make the playoffs. Now with the team we have I'm even more confident they will make that happen.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

Is SPL > March Madness in regards to talent evaluation?

The competition seems to me a much better indicator of overall play than college.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

I was dead wrong about Lonzo.

He has something you just can't teach. You can teach handles, shooting, defense, even passing. But he has that IT factor that - as cliche as it sounds - you just can't teach. It's the vision, the feel for the flow of the game and the ability to control and dictate that flow. You either have it or you don't.
LB2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Lonzo played very little AAU, and when he did it was just local games for the most part. Sounds like pure BS to me
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

DSJ looks like a guy who does his fair share of talking and that didn't seem to bother Lonzo yesterday.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 380, 381, 382 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 381 of 1688
Jump to: