OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject:

He looked a lot better against Dallas
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject:

lewis wrote:
He looked a lot better against Dallas

After looking a little sluggish in the first few games I thought he really ran the lane well in transition, didn't look as winded. The team did a good job of rewarding his activity a few times in early offense.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject:

Not entirely sure what was going on with him earlier but he seems to be looking more and more like himself with each game.

I thought maybe he was just out of shape, but now I'm thinking it was probably the opposite -- as in he worked himself so hard that he maybe had the dreaded noodle legs.

Noodle legs will kill your jumper, give you Kwame hands and magically turn the guy you're guarding into a scorer.

Hopefully noodle legs explains the start he had to summer league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

He's probably going in the direction of Kanter/Okafor, where he will be a situational big man off the bench. We are going to run, run, run and probably have one of the fastest paced teams. Brook is our starter and I think we are looking for faster small ball options with our bench rather than add another big man who is plodding up the court.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

Obviously he's not expected to be Ingram but comparing the growth of the 2 is mind blowing. BI was too good for summer where Big Z is being outplayed more times than not. I like him and hope he gets better in a more structured game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He's probably going in the direction of Kanter/Okafor, where he will be a situational big man off the bench. We are going to run, run, run and probably have one of the fastest paced teams. Brook is our starter and I think we are looking for faster small ball options with our bench rather than add another big man who is plodding up the court.

Running the floor isn't an issue, Zubac is one of the first down the court. It is lateral movement that he is weak in.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

Great surprise last year, not so much this year. Playing with a true head's up styled point guard, exploits some of his weaknesses, like his slow foot speed and lack of athleticism and balance.
I like Zub's but I say we package him to another team, sign Bryant and we're good.

I say we package him alongside Deng to get either some cap relief or a player like JaVale McGee in a sign and trade. He's a much better prospect for this style of offense and team. GSW can keep Deng and waive Zubac if he didn't fit.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Running the floor isn't an issue, Zubac is one of the first down the court. It is lateral movement that he is weak in.

I'm thinking about the same Yinoma and I think you're right Ventura. His lateral quickness and ability to keep the defensive rotations in tact are his challenges. Unlike Brook his value in other areas doesn't yet offset his struggles in this regard.

For this year I look at Zu as Brook's injury stand-in and depending on how well he does potentially takes the gig full time next year if the 2Max costs us Lopez. In that scenario Zu would be used more situationally in the way Golden St uses their true bigs.

I'm pretty sure that isn't what Zu has his heart set on but he will either buy in or not. In his exit interview he talked about not giving up the starter position which is what you want from your young players but now he's got to take the set back in stride and continue to improve. Let your play force the Coach's hand.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

Much better game last night. Looked like the Zublocka we all know and love.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

The reason he's been playing poorly is that he's trying to change his game and his body isn't suited for it yet. They've told him to stop finessing at the rim and to power the ball up. He also needs strength to gain low post position, then to hold and seal.
Overall, it's a great idea. But it's new to him and he doesn't have the strength to pull it off. The stronger he gets the better he'll be, be patient, he's a keeper.

Last edited by kevin61 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
Great surprise last year, not so much this year. Playing with a true head's up styled point guard, exploits some of his weaknesses, like his slow foot speed and lack of athleticism and balance.
I like Zub's but I say we package him to another team, sign Bryant and we're good.

I say we package him alongside Deng to get either some cap relief or a player like JaVale McGee in a sign and trade. He's a much better prospect for this style of offense and team. GSW can keep Deng and waive Zubac if he didn't fit.

Keep Deng and waive Zubac? Just think about that for a minute.
TransientTexan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

Maybe he added some muscle mass to try and help lower his overall body fat %, and got more sluggish due to the added weight. I would assume he would have access to trainers that know how to guard against that, but who knows. In any case, we need to be aware that he is not a finished product yet. Plenty of guys take more than one year to develop, and progress is not always linear or consistent... especially when the progress involves body changes rather than skill improvement and muscle memory development.

No need to bail on a cheap asset when the value is low. I don't really see the value in dumping him just to make room for another guy to get more minutes. If the other guy is good enough, he'll earn more minutes regardless.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm thinking about the same Yinoma and I think you're right Ventura. His lateral quickness and ability to keep the defensive rotations in tact are his challenges. Unlike Brook his value in other areas doesn't yet offset his struggles in this regard.

For this year I look at Zu as Brook's injury stand-in and depending on how well he does potentially takes the gig full time next year if the 2Max costs us Lopez. In that scenario Zu would be used more situationally in the way Golden St uses their true bigs.

I'm pretty sure that isn't what Zu has his heart set on but he will either buy in or not. In his exit interview he talked about not giving up the starter position which is what you want from your young players but now he's got to take the set back in stride and continue to improve. Let your play force the Coach's hand.

I agree about the Brook Lopez understudy. If Brook is hurt, they're starting Zub.

It'll be interesting to see whether they eschew the slower Zub on the 2nd unit and try to go super fast/small with Nance/Jules playing center, and Kuzma at PF.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

TransientTexan wrote:
Maybe he added some muscle mass to try and help lower his overall body fat %, and got more sluggish due to the added weight. I would assume he would have access to trainers that know how to guard against that, but who knows. In any case, we need to be aware that he is not a finished product yet. Plenty of guys take more than one year to develop, and progress is not always linear or consistent... especially when the progress involves body changes rather than skill improvement and muscle memory development.

No need to bail on a cheap asset when the value is low. I don't really see the value in dumping him just to make room for another guy to get more minutes. If the other guy is good enough, he'll earn more minutes regardless.

Did y'all see his game last night? Looked 100% better. He was moving around, blocking shots, using those soft hands.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

If you're going to ask for never going to happen, other team will laugh us off the phone trades, you might as well go whole hog and ask for GS to trade us Durant for Zubac and Deng instead of settling for McGee. There's zero chance GS would ever be interested in either, given Deng's horrible contract and their imminent salary crunch coming up, so at least set your aims high if you're going to ask for the impossible.
TransientTexan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
TransientTexan wrote:

Did y'all see his game last night? Looked 100% better. He was moving around, blocking shots, using those soft hands.

Nah, I don't have the cable package for it. I did see the previous few games while visiting some family last week.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

TransientTexan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
TransientTexan wrote:

Nah, I don't have the cable package for it. I did see the previous few games while visiting some family last week.

Yes, up until the game last night IMO he was playing like his feet were stuck in the sand. It was strange. Last night, he looked much better. He was just moving like he did last season. I hope he comes out and does the same tonight. Cheers!
AncientMariner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I think Zubac has a twin that looks, talks and acts exactly the same, except he is slow and terrible at basketball.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject:

beyond terrible
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Too much American food?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Zu scored 12 points w/ 9 rebounds
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm down for using him in a Deng salary dump if it comes to that.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Zubac the new whipping boy

after a season at 19 where he did pretty decent

Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Zu looked better tonight but overall a very disappointing summer league for him. He is extremely weak around the basket, unathletic and laterally slow. The way he looked in this SL is what I expected out of him last season.

He has a lot of work to do on his body over the next couple of months.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:
Zu looked better tonight but overall a very disappointing summer league for him. He is extremely weak around the basket, unathletic and laterally slow. The way he looked in this SL is what I expected out of him last season.

He has a lot of work to do on his body over the next couple of months.

He looked slow because he is slow lol. They ran a much faster pace than they ever did last season. He will look slow and sluggish when they run like that. If you expect him to start running the court like Anthony Davis, it aint gonna happen. He does however provide the Lakers with a big man that can develop into a paint protector when they need the size and hes already shown he has some nice offensive game to work with. If we lose Lopez he is literally our only center on the roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 192 of 290
Jump to: