The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1036, 1037, 1038 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's what I take from Kuzma and Lonzo as it pertains to Randle.

I take away that on the perimeter that is how Lonzo and KCP are going to work extremely well, the way Kuzma comes off those screens and such to get open for three. KCP will feast on it like Kuzma has.

But on those leak outs where Lonzo finds Kuzma down court cause the Summer League PFs can't stay with him, it's gonna be a NIGHTMARE for other PFs to try to stay with Randle without fouling him while the pass is in the air.

The guy beats point guards down court when he's going downhill WITH THE BALL... and that was BEFORE this off-season... I can only imagine how much faster he's going to be now and moving off ball...

Kuzma is a strong 3-point shooter. That is why he hangs around the perimeter and leaks out for those long passes.

Randle is a strong rebounder. I expect him to be crashing the boards instead of leaking out for long transition passes
how does Kuzma's tendency to lurk around the perimeter on offense have any impact on his leaking out early? You leak from the defensive end of the court! But Kuzma in SL has basically neglected the defensive boards to get out on the break. I doubt Randle will do that since rebounding is one of his greatest strengths. Kuzma was also a solid rebounder in college though, much better than indicated by his SL rebound numbers.

Last edited by dao on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Randle is a better player than Kuzma and Nance for sure. Higher ceiling and could be a top 3 guy on a team while the other two are probably more complimentary players, if even they turn out to be really good ones. But Randle's floor is also low because the holes in his game are big and in really important areas.

He's going to want $20+million starting next year and the Lakers have to make their decisions accordingly. Do you pay him long term starter money or not. They cleared the first hurdle (presumably) by deciding not to extend now. I hope he earns the max but shouldn't be paid on the assumption he's going to close those players holes as he hasn't made nearly enough progress over the last two years. Will be interested what kind of deal Noel gets as a litmus test for Randle.

Prove it, his style of play doesn't win and the lack of defense energy is still there. Here is a recent drew league game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdLvu67l4TQ All this reminds me he better give Ball the rebounds and initiate the transition offense and stay in his lane as just a good role player for Ball and Ingram. Oh yeah start shooting more cause Kuz is breathing down his back as a better fit

The Drew league?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:
Because Randle can move so fast. Is he faster than Kuzma? I think if Kuzma can get these leak outs, so can Randle. The big thing is, lots of contract year players ball out, after that though they get lackadaisical. If we do extend him will he keep working on his craft. Cause he is very inconsistent.

If you have paid attention to his career you would see that he is one of our hardest working young players. His idol is Kobe, he wants to be that good. So he will continue to work. He likely won't leak out like Khama does, he will fight for rebounds. We won't see many 3 rebound games from him.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:
Because Randle can move so fast. Is he faster than Kuzma? I think if Kuzma can get these leak outs, so can Randle. The big thing is, lots of contract year players ball out, after that though they get lackadaisical. If we do extend him will he keep working on his craft. Cause he is very inconsistent.

If you have paid attention to his career you would see that he is one of our hardest working young players. His idol is Kobe, he wants to be that good. So he will continue to work. He likely won't leak out like Khama does, he will fight for rebounds. We won't see many 3 rebound games from him.

He will fight for rebounds. But he does need to take some opportunities to leak out, because he's so damn fast. The threat of him leaking out like that will force defenses to keep a player or 2 op top, which may help clear the lane on D for more rebounds.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

And if we did Luke would bench him.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
markjay wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's what I take from Kuzma and Lonzo as it pertains to Randle.

I take away that on the perimeter that is how Lonzo and KCP are going to work extremely well, the way Kuzma comes off those screens and such to get open for three. KCP will feast on it like Kuzma has.

But on those leak outs where Lonzo finds Kuzma down court cause the Summer League PFs can't stay with him, it's gonna be a NIGHTMARE for other PFs to try to stay with Randle without fouling him while the pass is in the air.

The guy beats point guards down court when he's going downhill WITH THE BALL... and that was BEFORE this off-season... I can only imagine how much faster he's going to be now and moving off ball...

Kuzma is a strong 3-point shooter. That is why he hangs around the perimeter and leaks out for those long passes.

Randle is a strong rebounder. I expect him to be crashing the boards instead of leaking out for long transition passes
how does Kuzma's tendency to leark around the perimeter on offense have any impact on his leaking out early? You leak from the defensive end of the court! But Kuzma in SL has basically neglected the defensive boards to get out on the break. I doubt Randle will do that since rebounding is one of his greatest strengths. Kuzma was also a solid rebounder in college though, much better than indicated by his SL rebound numbers.

I haven't watched this part that closely, but I have to wonder if teammates are basically just giving Lonzo the cheapie rebounds because he's so great at igniting the break. Even in the game Kuzma only got 3 our rebounding overall was not bad.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Watching randle in the drew league I only took away a few things

1.) physically he's never looked stronger

2.) he wasn't playing at 100% effort

3.) he gets up court so freaking fast even when it's obvious he's not moving at full Speed. Bruh, what Pf is gonna keep up with him rim running? Nobody.

When does he ever? Same story with jules again and again. Meanwhile Lonzo is out there playing 6 games in 7 nights, playing so hard that he is pulling muscles.

I want to see effort like that from Jules. Dude coasts a lot out there. Now I read that he is coasting in the Drew League. Does not matter what kind of league it is. Guy should be hustling all the time. Lonzo does even when it is "just Summer League".

The culture of the Lakers has changed thankfully and players like Jules will be gone if they don't learn how to take every minute on the floor seriously. JC falls into this same category.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

3.) he gets up court so freaking fast even when it's obvious he's not moving at full Speed. Bruh, what Pf is gonna keep up with him rim running? Nobody.

When does he ever? Same story with jules again and again. Meanwhile Lonzo is out there playing 6 games in 7 nights, playing so hard that he is pulling muscles.

I want to see effort like that from Jules. Dude coasts a lot out there. Now I read that he is coasting in the Drew League. Does not matter what kind of league it is. Guy should be hustling all the time. Lonzo does even when it is "just Summer League".

The culture of the Lakers has changed thankfully and players like Jules will be gone if they don't learn how to take every minute on the floor seriously. JC falls into this same category.

Exactly my impression with JR's game especially when I start to see the lack of discipline and fire on defense.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

I dont understand why he would play in a game he knows will be taped and be posted all over the net and proceed to play half hearted.

we are all excited about our young guys thanks to Summer LEague and he goes out and doesnt play hard and lets some guys who will never even see the G-League blow by him
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Are people really freaking out about a Drew League game.........
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Lol!!!! You're trying to question his effort cause he isn't going at nba speed in the drew league -_- wow dude the hate really is strong in you.

Or anyone else that watched drew league and goes "why isn't he going at NBA speed!?"

Come on people.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

Seriously.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
I dont understand why he would play in a game he knows will be taped and be posted all over the net and proceed to play half hearted.

we are all excited about our young guys thanks to Summer LEague and he goes out and doesnt play hard and lets some guys who will never even see the G-League blow by him

And then he gets hurt in a Drew League game, no one would understand why he was playing hard in a rec league.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

inconsistent motor has certainly been one of Randle's biggest problems as a player, but you can't draw any conclusions from the Drew league. He's a young vet now. He should be judged exclusively on his performance in games that actually count.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
pmacla wrote:

And then he gets hurt in a Drew League game, no one would understand why he was playing hard in a rec league.

just dont play in it period, I am not freaking out about it, but for a big man I dont see the upside playing in a league like Drew only pro's that can "show off" are the ones who have the ball in their hands
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

He looks slimmer at least. He better have a 3pt shot next season tbh.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

People were freaking out about him playing in the Drew League last year too.

And they freaked out over Randle's preseason games also.

Julius has been steadily improving but the complaints are always the same.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

All I know is

Zo
KCP
BI
Kuz
Jules

is gonna be a devastating lineup in spurts.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

What's the Drew league? Is this like cubes 3 on 3 league? Or a real 5 on 5 thing? What was Randles box score?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
All I know is

Zo
KCP
BI
Kuz
Jules

is gonna be a devastating lineup in spurts.

Zo-PG-BI-LBJ-JR is what I ultimately salivate over but I have to admit that your homegrown line-up is a close 2nd.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

It's a rec league with a legendary rep. But NBA guys don't go at full NBA speed when they play in it. The most legendary matchup in the Drew League I think was the Kobe vs Harden one.

But yeah NBA guys don't go full boar in Drew League. They could go at half speed and drop 20-30. Lou just shot threes last game and made 50 cause he hit 10 threes.

So people that watch Drew League and go "Why isn't he going full boar!?" are just in search of something to hate on.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Jules has a track record of not playing hard on defense and taking plays off. So it is disappointing to see that this has not changed this offseason.

Does he have a ton of talent and potential? Heck yes! Does he play with consistent effort. No. It is a big problem IMO.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Jules has a track record of not playing hard on defense and taking plays off. So it is disappointing to see that this has not changed this offseason.

And you are using Drew League as an example of lack of effort cause he isn't going full boar?

Do you see any other NBA player going full boar at Drew League? So then picking Julius and act like there's actual legit criticism to be made there is sad tbh.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

If Randle doesn't improve his 3 ball and defense and Kuzma is showing us signs that his summer league play has transferred over to the regular season, Randle should be moved at the deadline. This way we can get a low end pick for him and also give Kuz and Nance some more minutes while freeing up cap space.

That being said, I hope Randle improves tremendously and proves his doubters wrong.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Does he have a ton of talent and potential? Heck yes! Does he play with consistent effort. No. It is a big problem IMO.

The point is that you can't say that "his defensive effort hasn't changed this off-season" based on some damn Drew League highlights. It's glorified rec center pickup ball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1036, 1037, 1038 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1037 of 1536
Jump to: