Rockets for Sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Rockets for Sale

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/17/leslie-alexander-selling-rockets

Wtf?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rockets for Sale

He's pretty old, and he's been commuting from NY for 25 years now.

Probably wants to spend his last few years at home with his family rather than spending 70% of his time on the other side of the country.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

C'mon Bill, you know you wanna bring back the Supersonics!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

I bid $1 and exclusive marketing rights to the official gold Rockets flip-flop featuring James Haren on one shoe and Chris "Heliflopter" Paul on the other.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rockets for Sale

VegasLakerFan wrote:
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/17/leslie-alexander-selling-rockets

what the heck?

Good timing. The Rockets might be worth quite a bit with their floppy superstars...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Would be funny if they moved back to San Diego......
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I bet he puts a clause in any potential sale that the new owner won't move the team
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I bet he puts a clause in any potential sale that the new owner won't move the team

there's already one in the stadium contract that runs through 2033/4
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rockets for Sale

Telleris wrote:

Probably wants to spend his last few years at home with his family rather than spending 70% of his time on the other side of the country.

I guess that makes some sense. But he's a super rich guy, why not hire someone he trusts to just run the team and spend more time with his fambam?

Dunno, just seems like weird timing after nabbing Chrisp Aul and becoming a lowkey contender.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rockets for Sale

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Telleris wrote:

I guess that makes some sense. But he's a super rich guy, why not hire someone he trusts to just run the team and spend more time with his fambam?

Dunno, just seems like weird timing after nabbing Chrisp Aul and becoming a lowkey contender.

I'm not sure he's one of those guys that can step back, he's basically refused to have a president of basketball operations. I don't think his kids want anything to do with being nba owners either, at that point he's basically holding onto it simply for the sake of holding onto it.

He's also not super rich by nba standards (bottom 5 amongst owners), the team represents about 75% of his net worth.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

It's because Chris Paul went there. Every team Chris Paul goes to eventually goes up for sale. FACT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

Wouldn't surprise me if somebody from China bid on the team. Rockets have had the most Chinese players on their roster and the NBA would probably welcome a Chinese owner to sell the sport in China.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Dikembe Mutombo working to put together group to buy Houston Rockets

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/19/dikembe-mutombo-working-to-put-together-group-to-buy-houston-rockets/

Quote:

Dikembe Mutombo working to put together group to buy Houston Rockets

Do you have about $2 billion just lying around?

If so, Dikembe Mutombo would like to talk to you.

It was a surprise this week when Leslie Alexander decided to put his Houston Rockets up for sale. A number of people are scrambling to put together groups to buy the team, and Mutombo is among them he told Mark Berman of Fox 26 in Houston.

“I’m working on it,” Mutombo said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. “I’m talking to a lot of people already since (Monday). We’ll see. I’m just talking to the people who can cut the check and they can make me be part of it. I’m working on that….

“The Rockets are a great franchise. They have a great team. They’ve got great coaches, great basketball players, great staff. Whoever is coming in, it’s not like they’re going to have to rebuild it. I’m trying to convince some people about trying to buy this team. It’s one of the best franchises right now. It’s really the right time.”

Which is why multiple groups are expected to join together in bids.

While Forbes estimates the Rockets’ worth at $1.65 billion — eighth most in the NBA — most observers around the league expect the team to sell for more than that. The team is in the 10th largest television market in the nation, it has long been stable and built up a large and loyal fan base, and with two superstars — James Harden and Chris Paul — the Rockets are one of the NBA’s top four teams by any measure and that means good gate and sponsorship money in the arena for the next few years. This team is going to be profitable, which is attractive to potential buyers.

Another reason there might be multiple bidders driving up the price — Alexander bought the team 24 years ago for $85 million. Sports franchises have proven good investments over the years.

Mutombo has shown himself to be a pretty shrewd business man over the years, but there are a limited number of people who can either buy a team at the expected prices or put together a group who can. Most likely the winning bidder will be a person or two people taking on most of the risk, with a handful of minority investors. Among those putting up lesser money could be a former player or NBA executive with ties to the league who can be the face of the operation — such as with Grant Hill in Atlanta. That is likely the role Mutombo seeks.

We’ll see if Mutombo can pull this off, and if he can’t what other groups will emerge in the process.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I think there are enough LG members we can pool our assets and buy the team. I will be team president. Larry Coon can be GM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
It's because Chris Paul went there. Every team Chris Paul goes to eventually goes up for sale. FACT.

I never thought of that but you are right

Hornets, Clippers, Rockets
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
I think there are enough LG members we can pool our assets and buy the team. I will be team president. Larry Coon can be GM.

Only if you fine Haren and Paul every time they flop. In which case, they'll have to work for free.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

That actually is fact. Wow.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

He's the Steve Urkel of the NBA. "Whoops...did I do that?"

Yes, Chris. You did that. It's part of the David Stern curse that damned the Lakers. For your part in that drama, you're doomed to bring hurt to any owner that trades you or trades for you.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rockets for Sale

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Nothing weird about that if $$ is your goal. That's you selling at a high. I also don't think he's "super billionaire rich". Most of his net worth seems to be in the team.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
22 wrote:

He's the Steve Urkel of the NBA. "Whoops...did I do that?"

Yes, Chris. You did that. It's part of the David Stern curse that damned the Lakers. For your part in that drama, you're doomed to bring hurt to any owner that trades you or trades for you.

So since Ballmer is too rich to go broke, car crash?
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockets for Sale

Dreamshake wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Nothing weird about that if $$ is your goal. That's you selling at a high. I also don't think he's "super billionaire rich". Most of his net worth seems to be in the team.

Yeah, $$$ is the goal -- so you can use it to buy an NBA team and pal around with the other owners. At least that'd what I'd do. Maybe he's just tired of owning the team.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rockets for Sale

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Yeah, $$$ is the goal -- so you can use it to buy an NBA team and pal around with the other owners. At least that'd what I'd do. Maybe he's just tired of owning the team.

He bought it for 85M and palled around for over 20 years. Now he's 70+ and is cashing out in the billion dollar range. At 70+ he's probably just tired, period.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/01/team-legend-hakeem-olajuwon-interested-in-buying-share-of-rockets/

Quote:
Team legend Hakeem Olajuwon interested in buying share of Rockets

Dikembe Mutombo wants in.

Beyonce could be in.

Now add the best player in Houston Rockets history — Hakeem Olajuwon — wants in as a potential partner in the group that ultimately buys the Houston Rockets, reports Mark Woods for ESPN.

“I’m buying it,” Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon joked Tuesday, before getting more serious about the matter.

“Many groups now have called me and want me involved,” Olajuwon, now a Rockets team ambassador, said. “With two of the groups, I’m doing my background check to see if that is a possibility. Just an association would be great.

“I’m still with the organization now. I have a contract with the Rockets, not to be in an ownership position. But if the opportunity opens itself, it will be something great.”

Longtime Rockets owner Leslie Alexander announced last month he wants to sell the team. A number of groups have been sniffing around the process so far, which is fairly early on. Forbes estimated the value of the Rockets at $1.65 billion, but considering the quality of the team on the court right now (and the money that generates) and the stability of the NBA with the new television deal, means this sale could break the record sum Steve Ballmer paid for the Clippers ($2 billion).

Olajuwon obviously could not buy the team on his own, but could have a role as the face of the ownership group, sort of like the role Grant Hill has in Atlanta. Olajuwon lives in the United Kingdom now with his family but still works for the Rockets.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about $1.65B, much less $2B. I'd be surprised if a team outside of the top five markets went for more than about $1.2B. But we shall see.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I don't know about $1.65B, much less $2B. I'd be surprised if a team outside of the top five markets went for more than about $1.2B. But we shall see.

These values are overinflated. Idon't think revenue can sustain these sky high valuations as people move away from TV. The next TV contract is going to put a damper on revenues and valuations
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: