Adam Silver on sports gambling: "My sense is the law will change in the next few years"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Adam Silver on sports gambling: "My sense is the law will change in the next few years"

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/20/adam-silver-on-sports-gambling-my-sense-is-the-law-will-change-in-the-next-few-years/

Quote:

Adam Silver on sports gambling: “My sense is the law will change in the next few years”

This isn’t new ground for NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. He has called legalized sports gambling in the United States “inevitable” and advocated in the New York Times for the federal government to put in a framework to control it. He’s not been shy about telling the heads of the other major sports leagues what he sees coming. Mark Cuban has Silver’s back on this one.

The commissioners of the four major sports were all on hand for a panel called “GameChangers: Creating the Future of Sports” in New York on Wednesday, and Silver’s position hasn’t changed, reports ESPN.

“My sense is the law will change in the next few years in the United States,” Silver said when asked about gambling.

He also stressed the importance of in-game wagering to fan engagement, noting, “People want to bet throughout the game … It results in enormous additional engagement with the fans.”

I’m not sure about “the next few years” timeline. I would rather be forced to watch The Emoji Movie than try to predict what the current Congress will do, but with its current conservative makeup legalizing sports betting seems unlikely.

But in the next decade or two… it feels like Silver may be right. The Supreme Court is taking up the case of whether the federal government can block states — in this case, New Jersey specifically — from allowing sports gambling. That could open the door for other states to follow. Governments state and federal will not see it as a moral issue so much as a new revenue generator — they can tax it. So it will happen. Eventually.

With that Silver is right, professional sports leagues need to be prepared for that reality. The NBA seems to be out in front of that, ready to ride the wave when it crests. For now, they are just paddling around waiting for the right wave to ride.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

He's betting on it . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam Silver on sports gambling: "My sense is the law will change in the next few years"

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/20/adam-silver-on-sports-gambling-my-sense-is-the-law-will-change-in-the-next-few-years/

Quote:

Adam Silver on sports gambling: “My sense is the law will change in the next few years”

This isn’t new ground for NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. He has called legalized sports gambling in the United States “inevitable” and advocated in the New York Times for the federal government to put in a framework to control it. He’s not been shy about telling the heads of the other major sports leagues what he sees coming. Mark Cuban has Silver’s back on this one.

The commissioners of the four major sports were all on hand for a panel called “GameChangers: Creating the Future of Sports” in New York on Wednesday, and Silver’s position hasn’t changed, reports ESPN.

“My sense is the law will change in the next few years in the United States,” Silver said when asked about gambling.

He also stressed the importance of in-game wagering to fan engagement, noting, “People want to bet throughout the game … It results in enormous additional engagement with the fans.”

I’m not sure about “the next few years” timeline. I would rather be forced to watch The Emoji Movie than try to predict what the current Congress will do, but with its current conservative makeup legalizing sports betting seems unlikely.

But in the next decade or two… it feels like Silver may be right. The Supreme Court is taking up the case of whether the federal government can block states — in this case, New Jersey specifically — from allowing sports gambling. That could open the door for other states to follow. Governments state and federal will not see it as a moral issue so much as a new revenue generator — they can tax it. So it will happen. Eventually.

With that Silver is right, professional sports leagues need to be prepared for that reality. The NBA seems to be out in front of that, ready to ride the wave when it crests. For now, they are just paddling around waiting for the right wave to ride.

Silver later added "also I'm a corporate shill and I'd force players to tattoo ads on their foreheads if I could figure out how. I drink blood."
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Adam Silver on sports gambling: "My sense is the law will change in the next few years"

VegasLakerFan wrote:

Silver later added "also I'm a corporate shill and I'd force players to tattoo ads on their foreheads if I could figure out how. I drink blood."

Going straight for the blood libel....nice.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam Silver on sports gambling: "My sense is the law will change in the next few years"

RG73 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

Going straight for the blood libel....nice.

Life is short.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing a big reason why gambling isn't legal nationwide is Christian orthodoxy. The other reason is people within sports gambling on games they're involved in (Like Tim Donaghy or Pete Rose), but the right regulatory framework can hold that in check.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject:

Not to go off topic, but what the hay...

Anyone recommend a poker site that actually pays out, that isn't rigged, that they've had good experience with?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

I would like to see Mr. Silver don a wig for Halloween and say:

"You Ranggggg?"
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

More buried bodies.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

So...

Las Vegas Clippers have a nice ring to it?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: