What Magic/Pelinka have done so far is amazing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tkLAKERS wrote:
I did not like the Dlo trade because I would have liked to see a Lonzo and Dlo backcourt at least for a year as I believe that would have been something special to see.

However, Kuzma has been a revelation and was clearly the steal of the draft. Lonzo and Kuzma was what I thought Lonzo and Dlo should have been, so I guess what I'm saying is.....the Dlo trade was not premature and I'm going to eat my crow pie now.

Until you realize they didn't need to trade DLO to have Kuzma...

You wouldn't have hart and Bryant
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

For once it seems like the karma surrounding the Lakers is healthy again. It probably all started with Jeanie Buss firing Jimbo and hiring Magic and Rob. Getting rid of the wrong leadership and putting in the right leadership goes a long way towards steering the ship in the right direction.

Not only are the Lakers looking better than they have in several years, but the Dodgers are looking like a championship team. I'm really hopeful about things these days.
DanielKetch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DanielKetch wrote:
I'd put money on the fact that ZO + KCP > ZO + DLO starting backcourt.

And the former won't get abused defensively night in a night out the same way the latter would...

Kuzma is just icing on the cake.

The problem is that we'll never know.... and, whereas DLO/Zo might have been our backcourt for the next decade, its possible that Zo/KCP may only last a year.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that it would be great for the Zo/KCP combo to work for at least the next year.

Zo/DLO would never be a strong defensive duo is my point. Zo does have the defensive upside, DLO not so much.

The beauty in KCP is he can stick the tougher of the defensive assignment the opponent presents. You don't have that luxury with DLO. DLO is the more all around prolific individual scorer, but KCP should thrive in his role on this team and I don't think scoring will be an issue.

If KCP isn't there more than a year, it's because we needed to make room for an even bigger star (i.e. PG) but I personally have a feeling this is our backcourt of the future.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

DanielKetch wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
DanielKetch wrote:
I'd put money on the fact that ZO + KCP > ZO + DLO starting backcourt.

And the former won't get abused defensively night in a night out the same way the latter would...

Kuzma is just icing on the cake.

The problem is that we'll never know.... and, whereas DLO/Zo might have been our backcourt for the next decade, its possible that Zo/KCP may only last a year.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that it would be great for the Zo/KCP combo to work for at least the next year.

Zo/DLO would never be a strong defensive duo is my point. Zo does have the defensive upside, DLO not so much.

The beauty in KCP is he can stick the tougher of the defensive assignment the opponent presents. You don't have that luxury with DLO. DLO is the more all around prolific individual scorer, but KCP should thrive in his role on this team and I don't think scoring will be an issue.

If KCP isn't there more than a year, it's because we needed to make room for an even bigger star (i.e. PG) but I personally have a feeling this is our backcourt of the future.

by the time the Lakers are really ready to roll and try to win it all(Ball and Ingram need atleast 3-4 more years for this) DLO should be polished enough to be a much better player to have next to Ball than KCP with more upside as well to fill in.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject:

Last edited by VicXLakers on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
We are all Lonzo's witnesses.

Amen!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject:

I didn't like how we started the offseason.

But after drafting Lonzo/Kuz (Hart/Bryant are a bit of ?s), signing KCP (and maintaining 2018 capstinence), it grades out as a big success for me. They have convinced me of the 2018 plan and I do think we will get 2 max players.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
For once it seems like the karma surrounding the Lakers is healthy again. It probably all started with Jeanie Buss firing Jimbo and hiring Magic and Rob. Getting rid of the wrong leadership and putting in the right leadership goes a long way towards steering the ship in the right direction.

Not only are the Lakers looking better than they have in several years, but the Dodgers are looking like a championship team. I'm really hopeful about things these days.

Karma= new nick name for Kuzma perhaps?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Karma Kuzma

Kuz Mah Azz (for not picking me in top 10)
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tkLAKERS wrote:
I did not like the Dlo trade because I would have liked to see a Lonzo and Dlo backcourt at least for a year as I believe that would have been something special to see.

However, Kuzma has been a revelation and was clearly the steal of the draft. Lonzo and Kuzma was what I thought Lonzo and Dlo should have been, so I guess what I'm saying is.....the Dlo trade was not premature and I'm going to eat my crow pie now.

Until you realize they didn't need to trade DLO to have Kuzma...

Wait I thought any comments about DLO in this thread weren't allowed?
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Karma Kuzma

Kuz Mah Azz (for not picking me in top 10)

Yep, yep....every time he drains one of those sweet jumpers of his, I'm shouting "karma" because they let him slide all the way down to No.27.
Fishlakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
We are all Lonzo's witnesses.

Or, how about "We are all Lonzo's Assists" 😜👍
Game 3 Victory in Denver . Mostly they were talking about Fisher's speech, the kind that might one day be put on T-shirts and repeated on the corner of 11th and Figueroa, words fit for a parade, his Lakers stepping into their destiny. L.A. Times 2009
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

What a difference 2 weeks makes around here.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't say "Amazing"

Amazing would have been

- Dumping Mos AND Deng contracts
- Getting PG13 without giving up any young assets

They did one of those three things They didn't screw the draft up, Kuzma looks like a great pick and the KCP signing was the best move of the offseason because it did require quite a bit of FO skill to convince him that the contract was in his best interest when it was clearly in ours.

Very good offseason which by comparison to Mitch and Jim's efforts seems amazing. Ball looks like a game changer, all of the media laker hate seems to have quieted down and opposing fans are getting scared. Our culture appears to be changing and things look bright. B+/A- Offseason for sure.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Magic and Rob have performed magic so far.

It seems like they might have the gift of creating a team. Now some people might have the conception of creating a team is by putting all the all stars together. But this does not take into account chemistry. This is what made Jerry West so great.
Going for a 2 max FA goal is not flexible.
The key is to see what is working and see what can be changed to make the team better. Not just stuff an all star in there without looking at the chemistry.

With the GSW and Spurs model, there are things that stand out.
Great 3 point shooting. Good perimeter defenders. Ball movement and player movement. Some player to fill every hole.

First see how the players play together. This is first key.

Lopez can shoot. Decent defender. Can Cousins go out and hit the 3? Another putting all stars together mistake.
Randle good rebounder and inside player. Maybe a great complement to Lopez. But Randle can't hit the side of a barn from the outside.
Ingram great defender and can handle the ball. But doesn't have a smooth shot. Can he hit the clutch shot?
KCP is a great choice. Is an excellent perimeter defender. And can shoot decent.
Lonzo. The perfect guy to start a move the ball, player movement, and transition game. But he needs players who can shoot, run, and defend.
Kuzma may be another Klay Thompson.
I think Kuzma might have a bigger upside than Randle.
Clarkson doesn't seem to fit the team being an iso player who doesn't move the ball.

If Randle and Ingram could shoot the Laker would be contending for the championship. Watch the clunkers.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Overall, good. Have a good feeling going in to the season even though I'm not in agreement with some the decisions and strategy.

Also not of the belief it has been amazing, we still have a long way to go but a solid first step.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
I wouldn't say "Amazing"

Amazing would have been

They did one of those three things They didn't screw the draft up, Kuzma looks like a great pick and the KCP signing was the best move of the offseason because it did require quite a bit of FO skill to convince him that the contract was in his best interest when it was clearly in ours.

Very good offseason which by comparison to Mitch and Jim's efforts seems amazing. Ball looks like a game changer, all of the media laker hate seems to have quieted down and opposing fans are getting scared. Our culture appears to be changing and things look bright. B+/A- Offseason for sure.

That wouldn't happened

OKC gave up two lottery picks for George
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
I wouldn't say "Amazing"

Amazing would have been

That wouldn't happened

Dipo is a former lottery pick who is grossly overpaid.

Sabonis was a disappointment last year.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
I wouldn't say "Amazing"

Amazing would have been

That wouldn't happened

Sure, my point still stands. No way Lakers wouldn't have gotten George without giving up one of their young guys.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Overall, good. Have a good feeling going in to the season even though I'm not in agreement with some the decisions and strategy.

Also not of the belief it has been amazing, we still have a long way to go but a solid first step.

This.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I didn't like how we started the offseason.

But after drafting Lonzo/Kuz (Hart/Bryant are a bit of ?s), signing KCP (and maintaining 2018 capstinence), it grades out as a big success for me. They have convinced me of the 2018 plan and I do think we will get 2 max players.

Agreed. And who knows, maybe one of our own guys blows up so much we say "he's the second max" (I wouldn't bet on it though)
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
I wouldn't say "Amazing"

Amazing would have been

That wouldn't happened

Yep. Also, not sure why folks refer to guys who have played in this league by their draft position when referring to value. Who cares at that point when we can see what type of player at the NBA level they are at that point. It's like "we traded Greg Odom for jimmy butler, we got ripped off"???
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

I'll admit I was pissed when the DLO trade went down (having bought his jersey and all). However, the trade looks like a heist with the emergence of Kuzma. Zo has been ballin, and KCP will be an upgrade over DLO since the latter was a turnstile on D and careless with the ball.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

“The hen is the wisest of all the animal creation, because she never cackles until the egg is laid.”

Abe Lincoln

Personally, I'm not seeing amazing work just yet. Gonna wait for results to start showing up to crow about it.

The draft of Lonzo Ball was widely viewed as a smart move, so no special credit to Magic and Pelinka for that. Barney Fife could have picked that one.

Dumping Mozgov's bloated contract feels good, but it's not an amazing step just yet given the price The Lakers gave up the best returning scoring threat and ball-handler from last year (who also happened to have been the 2016 #2 draft pick a year back.) Mixed and delayed reviews on the transaction from me, until the results starts coming in.

If the most notable move the new regime made was the signing of a decent guard (KCP), I'm going to wait to see how he does before signing praise. On the face of it, the Lakers paid a premium for a guard who may have already reached his potential.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: