Deng Status?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mission Impossible sans Cruise

dengman wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
Utah:
Jordan Clarkson

Lakers:
Joe Johnson
Dwyane Wade

Chicago:
Deng
Zubac
2020 Lakers Unprotected First
(2) 2nds from Lakers
(1) 2nd from Utah

Pelinka be the shark that you are!

Never in a million years will this occur. There is a greater likelihood of a second ice age beginning tomorrow.

Why not?

You've added Zubac to the scenario since I quoted you.

In that scenario I wouldn't do it from the Lakers perspective. Unless you think his erratic Summer League play will continue, which I don't, Zubac is a high value asset. At 1.4 mil, he is being paid less than what he would receive as a free agent. This means he has a positive value. His positive value, added with the first round pick, is far greater than the 7.2 mil in cap savings

If Zubac is the difference between a "3rd" star joining the team.... then he would be the sacrificial lamb now that they can groom Thomas Bryant who fits Walton's style a little more.....

He wouldn't be, three max guys would require 90 plus million in cap space, which won't be happening. Two guys is all that's needed.

I didn't say max but a 3rd all star type player, it is plausible LBJ or another player would take a few million less to assemble a team to beat the Warriors. Kevin Durant has already set a precendence.....

If it was 7.2 for one year then maybe ooook but for 5, yeaaaa NO

So why trade a young guy that makes 1 million dollars to save a 7.2 cap hit on the theoretical possibly that there may be a third guy you could get?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Ball Boy status. There's really nothing we can do about his contract. The Lakers have too much money so consider Deng a lucky winner of the Laker's free million dollars giveaway. I'd rather not give him any minutes and give his minutes to someone else instead.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately he's a Laker's door stop at this point of his career.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Ball Boy status. There's really nothing we can do about his contract. The Lakers have too much money so consider Deng a lucky winner of the Laker's free million dollars giveaway. I'd rather not give him any minutes and give his minutes to someone else instead.

If he wants to protest and pout maybe the Lakers can get him to agree to a buyout. But yeah, don't waste a minute on him.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I don't think so. Russell is a #2 pick, who averaged 16 ppg last year and is 21 years old. He may not become a star but he's a legitimate NBA starter.

Kuzma is a #27 who is a year older than Russell. He's just another guy fighting for any kind of playing time. He had a great summer league, but there are a lot of guys working in 7-11 who had a great summer league.

I could be wrong, but I like Kuzma way better than Russell now and going forward.

Comparing contract numbers going forward? Than it is even more of a landslide towards Kuzma.

Most GMs in the NBA would not trade Kuzma for DLO straight up right now, trust me.

I get the enthusiasm: He had a great summer league.

Now we'll see what happens in real games against better players.

Hope he does well.
Very nicely stated--with just a hint of cynicism.

--Anonymous
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

If he wants to protest and pout maybe the Lakers can get him to agree to a buyout. But yeah, don't waste a minute on him.

See if his old bones will be a locker room sage. I hope he would agree to such a role. Least he could do. Hopefully he isn't under any illusions of being worth anything as a player anymore. A.C. in 99/00 was more serviceable than him. He was older than dirt, but still played like an older than dirt version of his 1985 self. Deng is a shadow of what he was as a player. Looks like it pains him to even move laterally.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to propose that he share Locker Room Attendant/Ball Boy duties with the staff. I'm afraid that his self esteem may suffer if he doesn't have a legitimate purpose to justify his 18 million dollar paycheck
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

How the hell did Deng get 18 million when he was getting 10 in Miami for 12PPG? Just horrible decision making by Buss/Kupchak. And Mozgov cost us our #2 pick for what? Ugh.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
How the hell did Deng get 18 million when he was getting 10 in Miami for 12PPG? Just horrible decision making by Buss/Kupchak. And Mozgov cost us our #2 pick for what? Ugh.

Yeah, it seems like piling on at this point, but those two deals were just so bad. I was a Mitch supporter until this, it was so unexplainable.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:

Kuzma!!! Not an ideal situation at all, but our FO managed to turn the Mozgov contract lemon into lemonaide.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

A buyout would pretty much be the same as stretching him, we could stretch his contract amount over 5 years.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
ducasse wrote:

Kuzma!!! Not an ideal situation at all, but our FO managed to turn the Mozgov contract lemon into lemonaide.

And could have done so without trading Mozgov.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
ducasse wrote:

Let's agree from this point on that, the transaction involving our former second overall pick and a Russian center, shall be referred to as the "Kuzma Trade". The use of this monicker alone should help facilitate greater harmony and brotherhood among our legion.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

No, we shouldn't agree, we could have drafted him at 28.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Says who? How do you know the nets wouldn't draft him at 27? You can't assume that.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

For that assumption you're willing to trade a future of peace and harmony among our brothers? Shame on you VLF, I expected more. It shall be known as the Kuzma Trade from here on out.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Says who? How do you know the nets wouldn't draft him at 27? You can't assume that.

Yeah. Who knows? That trade might have averted an apocalyptic disaster plunging life as we know it into a millennia of distopian survival of the fittest.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah. Who knows? That trade might have averted an apocalyptic disaster plunging life as we know it into a millennia of distopian survival of the fittest.

You've got the idea now.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I hope he goes away

If not, then I hope he spends the year playing better and being a good teammate. Get ready for the stretch.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
ducasse wrote:

Let's agree from this point on that, the transaction involving our former second overall pick and a Russian center, shall be referred to as the "Kuzma Trade". The use of this monicker alone should help facilitate greater harmony and brotherhood among our legion.
Since other scenarios don't apply, we should recognize that Magic/Rob/Ryan did a great job of reshaping the Lakers' roster, attitude and cap space

DLo has basketball skills that will allow him to be in the NBA for a number of years. Since he has a fresh start, older, no Nick Young mentors and playing a position that he is more suited to (SG) - let's hope he will do well playing with Jeremy Lin and very low expectations but with a greater possibility of getting into the playoffs in the minor leagues (translation: Eastern Conference)
Note: we will see how he embraces being a ST

Kuzma, Ball, Hart, BI, Randle, Nance and Zuboc make an exciting group of young players exciting to watch. They will make many mistakes, always be pushing the ball, play "in your face" switching defense, play with great energy and will provide countless highlights
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

A buyout would pretty much be the same as stretching him, we could stretch his contract amount over 5 years.

I don't see him taking a buyout where he loses a significant amount of money.

As far as stretching him, there's no reason to do that until we know we need the cap space to land another free agent. If we can't get anyone to come here, it's better to pay his full year's salary rather than have dead money on the books for several years.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I don't see him taking a buyout where he loses a significant amount of money.

As far as stretching him, there's no reason to do that until we know we need the cap space to land another free agent. If we can't get anyone to come here, it's better to pay his full year's salary rather than have dead money on the books for several years.

They wont stretch him unless they have a deal in place.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: DENG DUMPING DEALS!!!

Who Says No?

Assuming we know for sure that both Lebron and PG13 are coming (tough assumption but just for the sake of argument),

Scenario 1:

Lakers send Deng, 2020 1st round pick and Bulls 2nd round pick to Brooklyn for Demarre Carolle

Lakers Send Julius Randle and Demarre Carolle (only 1 more year left after 2018) to Utah for Derrick Favors and Joe Johnson

Scenario 2:

Lakers send Luol Deng, Julius Randle to Nets for Demarre Carolle, T Booker (Expiring in 2018)

Lakers send Demarre Carolle and 2020 1st round pick to Atlanta (who might still have enough cap space; worst case take back Ilyasova - 2018 expiring). Demarre is familiar with Bud's offense and Atlanta is in rebuild mode so could use as many picks possible.

Scenario 3:

Lakers send Luol Deng, Julius Randle to Nets for Demarre Carolle, T Booker (Expiring in 2018)

Lakers send Jordan Clarkson, Demarre Carolle, 2020 1st round pick to Chicago for D Wade

It can be done people! Lakers with almost $80m in cap space to go after Lebron and PG13 while keeping Lopez (at a bit of a discount).

Last edited by Zubolo on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject:

If Deng came back this season in great shape and playing as he did to close out his season in Miami he'll be fine. Will likely up his value too.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
If Deng came back this season in great shape and playing as he did to close out his season in Miami he'll be fine. Will likely up his value too.

Except that he won't be getting 32.4 mpg like he did in Miami. The only way he ups his value is if there's a rash of injuries. He's through.

Last edited by kevin61 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to: