OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1628, 1629, 1630 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:
LeBron may be considered the best

the only perspective that matters

Doesn't matter who's considered the best, it matters who is the best.

Durant or Kawhi could be better than LeBron right now but they won't get that credit.

If I had to choose between having Kawhi or LeBron, at this point I'd probably pick Kawhi. Same goes for Durant, he took his game to another level this year and I'd bet on him going forward.

People talk about "there's no pressure on Durant.. he had Steph and Klay"

LeBron had Kyrie and Love, and LeBron had Wade and Bosh. He had "less pressure" on him too basketball wise.

You can say "yeah but LeBron HAD to win to prove he could push a team to that level."

So did Durant, and he won Finals MVP and was crucial in the Game 3 where he hit that 3 in LeBron's face to win it because LeBron was sagging on defense like he'd been doing all year.

So again if I had to pick between Kawhi and LeBron at this point in their careers I'd pick Kawhi, and if I had to choose between LeBron and Durant going forward, I'd go with Durant. All relative though.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
I don't think Lebron is coming here. I just don't. And, while I think he is fine person, I prefer it that way. I don't want Lakers to be just the next team to rent Lebron for a chance at the finals. Not as fun as building/working for it.

Laker fans were ecstatic when we pulled off the moves for Nash and Dwight Howard. We had been jilted by the nixed CP3 trade fiasco and the thinking was that we had recovered by getting the league's best center and an aging, though still-very-good, point guard with savvy, and keep in mind that the Lakers' point guard situation at that time was very weak. We were the betting favorite in Las Vegas to win the championship.

Steve Nash and Dwight Howard had not played a single game for the Lakers. While there may have been a vocal minority against those moves, the vast majority of fans were gleeful. I remember that July 4th very well, and when word broke of Nash's signing, the mood was joyous.

How is it any different if we got LeBron? I welcome any move that helps us get demonstrably better, especially if it doesn't gut the young core. And I would remind people that LeBron would be choosing to be a Los Angeles Laker. Nobody would be forcing him to do that. I have some issues with some of the stuff off-the-court that he brings, but what he brings on the court outweighs that significantly. In terms of LeBron the player, he's an unselfish player who would fit in perfectly.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
mookielala wrote:
I don't think Lebron is coming here. I just don't. And, while I think he is fine person, I prefer it that way. I don't want Lakers to be just the next team to rent Lebron for a chance at the finals. Not as fun as building/working for it.

Laker fans were ecstatic when we pulled off the moves for Nash and Dwight Howard. We had been jilted by the nixed CP3 trade fiasco and the thinking was that we had recovered by getting the league's best center and an aging, though still-very-good, point guard with savvy, and keep in mind that the Lakers' point guard situation at that time was very weak. We were the betting favorite in Las Vegas to win the championship.

Steve Nash and Dwight Howard had not played a single game for the Lakers. While there may have been a vocal minority against those moves, the vast majority of fans were gleeful. I remember that July 4th very well, and when word broke of Nash's signing, the mood was joyous.

How is it any different if we got LeBron? I welcome any move that helps us get demonstrably better, especially if it doesn't gut the young core. And I would remind people that LeBron would be choosing to be a Los Angeles Laker. Nobody would be forcing him to do that. I have some issues with some of the stuff off-the-court that he brings, but what he brings on the court outweighs that significantly. In terms of LeBron the player, he's an unselfish player who would fit in perfectly.

Great post, sir.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

If LeBron came here he's only doing a 1 year deal, player option on 2nd year.

That's ALL he's doing, because he wants the option to leave if stuff isn't going how he likes. That's how he holds leverage on these teams. Kyrie obviously had enough and felt like chop liver at this point. If LeBron keeps on being "eh I may leave next year if you aren't up to snuff" it makes Kyrie feel like "well so that's what he thinks of me?"

It also pressured Cleveland into signing Thompson and JR Smith on those huge deals that LeBron wanted, and THEN LeBron complained about lack of depth and the FO got blamed for giving JR Smith and Thompson those huge contracts despite being the main reason they happened.

What Kyrie Irving saw was a guy holding a team hostage as if he could leave them any moment with nothing and because of it that team builds around him despite the fact he can leave at any time, and Kyrie doesn't want to stick around for it. He doesn't want to stick around a situation where they build a team around one guy who can leave on the yearly and then when he does, leaves the Cavs with all the financial problems and team building he had asked for but won't get any blame for.

Good on Kyrie for making that kind of decision and forcing Cleveland to actually have to analyze who they should be building around. The guy who keeps on taking 1+1 deals and can leave at any second or the guy that has stayed loyal to Cleveland since day one and signed on long term before LeBron or Love even got there.

For the record, Kyrie had been talking to Kobe about how to avoid a Shaq/Kobe situation. Looks like he's utilizing whatever advice Kobe gave him.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:
LeBron may be considered the best

the only perspective that matters

Doesn't matter who's considered the best, it matters who is the best.

perception is reality
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

That's ALL he's doing, because he wants the option to leave if stuff isn't going how he likes. That's how he holds leverage on these teams. Kyrie obviously had enough and felt like chop liver at this point. If LeBron keeps on being "eh I may leave next year if you aren't up to snuff" it makes Kyrie feel like "well so that's what he thinks of me?"

It also pressured Cleveland into signing Thompson and JR Smith on those huge deals that LeBron wanted, and THEN LeBron complained about lack of depth and the FO got blamed for giving JR Smith and Thompson those huge contracts despite being the main reason they happened.

What Kyrie Irving saw was a guy holding a team hostage as if he could leave them any moment with nothing and because of it that team builds around him despite the fact he can leave at any time, and Kyrie doesn't want to stick around for it. He doesn't want to stick around a situation where they build a team around one guy who can leave on the yearly and then when he does, leaves the Cavs with all the financial problems and team building he had asked for but won't get any blame for.

Good on Kyrie for making that kind of decision and forcing Cleveland to actually have to analyze who they should be building around. The guy who keeps on taking 1+1 deals and can leave at any second or the guy that has stayed loyal to Cleveland since day one and signed on long term before LeBron or Love even got there.

For the record, Kyrie had been talking to Kobe about how to avoid a Shaq/Kobe situation. Looks like he's utilizing whatever advice Kobe gave him.

While I won't rule out LeBron doing a 1+1 deal if he signed here, I think the odds are better than he would do a 2+1. The current deal he's on is a 2+1. I'm going off of gut feeling that I think he would give the Lakers a 2-year commitment. I could be wrong but that's my gut feeling.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
MJST wrote:

While I won't rule out LeBron doing a 1+1 deal if he signed here, I think the odds are better than he would do a 2+1. The current deal he's on is a 2+1. I'm going off of gut feeling that I think he would give the Lakers a 2-year commitment. I could be wrong but that's my gut feeling.

As LeBron only care about going to the Finals every year and rings at this point, I don't think he's giving us 2 years of his time. It's a year at a time and we HAVE to build around what he wants because if we don't he's bolting to what he feels is a better situation and leaving us with the problems left behind from building around him instead of the core. That is what Kyrie saw the writing on the wall with and I think frustrated him the most tbh.

The majority of the Cavs problems LeBron complained about as far as cap and all that is because he pushed so hard for the Cavs to re-sign JR Smith and Tristan Thompson to those huge deals, but does LeBron get credit for it? No, and the Cavs are treated like they aren't doing what's best or trying to do what's best and painted as the problem, and this he has leeway to leave without any hate cause the "Cavs messed up, not LeBron."

Kyrie saw the Cavs continuing to bend to LeBron's every will while he could bolt on them any season, while NOT building around him who they actually have the potential longevity with so that if LeBron bolted, it'd be Kyrie and all the Cavs financial problems trying to carry a team built for LeBron James instead of that benefits him.

So him wanting out before LeBron does this again for another season is very understandable.

How would we have felt if Kobe had held us hostage on a year by year basis and forced us to do every move he wanted, or he was walking.

And then after we do that he starts complaining about the team not doing enough, and wants more stuff we can't financially do because of all the other requests of his we fulfilled and despite us having a finals trip every year.

And then after we do all that... he bolts to go form another superteam somewhere else while leaving us with all his requests/mistakes while we as an organization get the full blame...

There's a reason why Jerry Buss made it a point after what happened with Magic and the coaching situation, to not let players leverage the team anymore. When Shaq tried it he got traded, when Kobe tried it, Jerry showed him precisely where they'd trade him and precisely what they'd take back. Heck even when Ariza's agent tried to leverage Jerry Buss we went and got Ron Artest and told Ariza "see ya".

There is something to be said about running it that way and letting the players understand where they can make decisions and where they don't.

Jerry Buss was very good at this.

Unfortunately the Cavs did not run it that way, and will bend to whatever LeBron wants, and he holds them hostage because of it, and now they are in a situation they can't really get out of because of all the other commitments, and LeBron holding doing what he asked over their head like their problem and gearing up to easily use it to dump them behind in the off-season so he can go form another superteam somewhere else.

Kyrie saw the writing on the wall while he was treated like chop liver and went "done."

Last edited by MJST on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Has a team ever had 2 pass first stars?

LeBron isn't pass first
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
mookielala wrote:

You articulated your thoughts very well and I agree 100%.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
epak wrote:

LeBron isn't pass first

your talking about the same Lebron James that has been known as a past first player his whole career...ok.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I'd do Ingram+ JC for Irving if PG 13 commits. Kyrie is a perennial all star who's still young. Not sure how Ingram-PG 13 works long-term. PG and Kyrie will take care of the scoring while Lonzo can play his game.

C
Randle
PG 13
Kyrie
Ball

I don't want LeBron. He will demand a 3rd all star forcing to trade Ingram, but for much lesser player than Kyrie imo. And Maglinka won't turn down 33 year old LeBron just cos he tries to be LeGM here.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie is extremely overrated on LG....it is baffling.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
epak wrote:

LeBron isn't pass first

Maybe, but he's the best passing forward in the league by a wide margin.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

So if Lebron comes here and demands that moves be made, does the FO do what he asks? Or do they take the chance at going forward with a team that Lebron obviously doesn't think can go that far? Tough decision, we could end up with 2 years as 3-5 seeds and then he walks.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
MJST wrote:

And I think he will want 4 years, next offseason is the last time he can ask for that. I think that if he comes, it is for the money.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

So we have VLF saying 4 years, MJST saying 1 year, and I am saying 2 years. Anyone want to toss their hat into the ring for 3 years?
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
So we have VLF saying 4 years, MJST saying 1 year, and I am saying 2 years. Anyone want to toss their hat into the ring for 3 years?

i am saying its going to be 3+1
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

If he does for 3 years and stays in the league he would be limited to one year contracts by the Over 38 rule, or the team he is with would be paying tax. He can do two 2 year deals, though.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

BigE32 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
mookielala wrote:

You articulated your thoughts very well and I agree 100%.

I'm just just articulating my personal opinion/preference. I realize millions of others won't agree. That's fine. I'll still be a big time fan if/when Lebron comes to LA. But I don't think he will. And I'd actually rather he didn't. I'd rather watch the team grow from something different than the last few Lebron teams. But I'm totally cool with your opinion or anyone else's on the matter. I think Lebron is an amazing player and remarkably decent, well-adjusted person considering he's been treated like royalty since he was a young teen (I can't even imagine).
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

LeBron to the Lakers as a FA = yes.

LeBron to the Lakers for any combo not involving Ball or Ingram = yes.

Anything else = no.

Coming to LA as a PF will only extend his career - less work, less energy expended, etc. He could thrive into his late 30s.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Still baffling that LBJ would leave a conference where he could sleepwalk to the finals (no im not sold on the Celts) for a conference featuring GsW HOU and SAS. But hey if a top 5 player ever wants to come who are we to say no? I'd rather go PG/Boogie or Pg/A Bradley and Keep the young dudes. But I also think Magic will go for the HR. Heck, the HR swing failed with Malone/ Payton and Nash/Howard, we are due!
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Ingram>Kyrie
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Deleted by 32

Last edited by 32 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
diamondcutter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
MJST wrote:

As LeBron only care about going to the Finals every year and rings at this point, I don't think he's giving us 2 years of his time. It's a year at a time and we HAVE to build around what he wants because if we don't he's bolting to what he feels is a better situation and leaving us with the problems left behind from building around him instead of the core. That is what Kyrie saw the writing on the wall with and I think frustrated him the most tbh.

The majority of the Cavs problems LeBron complained about as far as cap and all that is because he pushed so hard for the Cavs to re-sign JR Smith and Tristan Thompson to those huge deals, but does LeBron get credit for it? No, and the Cavs are treated like they aren't doing what's best or trying to do what's best and painted as the problem, and this he has leeway to leave without any hate cause the "Cavs messed up, not LeBron."

Kyrie saw the Cavs continuing to bend to LeBron's every will while he could bolt on them any season, while NOT building around him who they actually have the potential longevity with so that if LeBron bolted, it'd be Kyrie and all the Cavs financial problems trying to carry a team built for LeBron James instead of that benefits him.

So him wanting out before LeBron does this again for another season is very understandable.

How would we have felt if Kobe had held us hostage on a year by year basis and forced us to do every move he wanted, or he was walking.

And then after we do that he starts complaining about the team not doing enough, and wants more stuff we can't financially do because of all the other requests of his we fulfilled and despite us having a finals trip every year.

And then after we do all that... he bolts to go form another superteam somewhere else while leaving us with all his requests/mistakes while we as an organization get the full blame...

There's a reason why Jerry Buss made it a point after what happened with Magic and the coaching situation, to not let players leverage the team anymore. When Shaq tried it he got traded, when Kobe tried it, Jerry showed him precisely where they'd trade him and precisely what they'd take back. Heck even when Ariza's agent tried to leverage Jerry Buss we went and got Ron Artest and told Ariza "see ya".

There is something to be said about running it that way and letting the players understand where they can make decisions and where they don't.

Jerry Buss was very good at this.

Unfortunately the Cavs did not run it that way, and will bend to whatever LeBron wants, and he holds them hostage because of it, and now they are in a situation they can't really get out of because of all the other commitments, and LeBron holding doing what he asked over their head like their problem and gearing up to easily use it to dump them behind in the off-season so he can go form another superteam somewhere else.

Kyrie saw the writing on the wall while he was treated like chop liver and went "done."

I think MJST articulated the LeBron conundrum right on the head. I've always despised LeBron because he's held ownership, management, and the fans of the teams he's played for hostage year-in and year-out. He's said he wants to win for "The Land" or "South Beach", but his actions have consistently shown that he's only loyal to nobody but himself and his brand. I've been a proud Laker fan since I could first walk and I've never seen the Lakers bend the knee to the degree that King James has constantly demanded throughout his career. It guts me to think we're going to become the Los Angeles LeBron's in 2018, and that we will end up selling our very soul in the process. I'm always going to be a Laker fan first and foremost no matter what, but I'm not going to lie...it's going to be hard for me to feel good about the Lakers signing LeBron. Even if we win with him, it just won't feel as sweet to me as it did with Magic/Kareem, Shaq/Kobe, and Kobe/Pau. I want the Lakers to win as much as anyone...but I'm afraid to lose the intangible thing that has made the Lakers special all these decades prior by kowtowing to the self-proclaimed "Chosen One".
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Car54 wrote:
epak wrote:

LeBron isn't pass first

your talking about the same Lebron James that has been known as a past first player his whole career...ok.

Yeah, the only forward in the top 25 of all assist leaders isn't a pass first guy <sarcasm>... 🙄

Lebron is a point forward, with an off the charts IQ, who makes his teammates the best versions of themselves. He's not only pass first, but he'll pass the last shot too if it's the right basketball play.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1628, 1629, 1630 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 1629 of 1813
Jump to: