Are you Down with LeBron (Free Agent) playing for the Lakers in 2018?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you Down with LeBron playing for the Lakers in 2018?
YES
61%
 61%  [ 36 ]
NO
38%
 38%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 59

FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Of course. And I'm not a LBJ fan.

Not a fan of the person?

Looking at your sig, I wanted to ask you would we still retain KCP with the two Max players and Ball and BI?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Lebron would be nice if he comes, it would at least restore winning to the Lakers, but we will still need help to get another ring. Ball helps with facilitating and getting those easy buckets. Ingram and PG13, if he comes would give us the versatility and the depth, so Lebron won't get run into the ground, and have plenty in the reserve tank for the playoffs.

The "help" is what concerns me he most.

For arguments sake lets envision a optimistic first year of George and James ending in a 50-55 wins, a mid seed and a Western Conference loss.

James misses a Finals for the first time in eight seasons and the Windhorst reports will begin of how he did not have enough help from management, coaching and roster..

Who is getting traded to "get more help"?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Of course. And I'm not a LBJ fan.

Not a fan of the person?

Looking at your sig, I wanted to ask you would we still retain KCP with the two Max players and Ball and BI?

Unlikely if KCP wants 18-20m/year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
Lebron would be nice if he comes, it would at least restore winning to the Lakers, but we will still need help to get another ring. Ball helps with facilitating and getting those easy buckets. Ingram and PG13, if he comes would give us the versatility and the depth, so Lebron won't get run into the ground, and have plenty in the reserve tank for the playoffs.

For arguments sake lets envision a optimistic first year of George and James ending in a 50-55 wins, a mid seed and a Western Conference loss.

James misses a Finals for the first time in eight seasons and the Windhorst reports will begin of how he did not have enough help from management, coaching and roster..

Likely Ingram, though i would keep Lonzo/Ingram going forward. Anyone else should be trade assets. This is why i don't want to trade out any future 1sts to unload bad contracts right now (i.e. Deng, maybe JC).
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Likely Ingram, though i would keep Lonzo/Ingram going forward. Anyone else should be trade assets. This is why i don't want to trade out any future 1sts to unload bad contracts right now (i.e. Deng, maybe JC).

See how easy it became to sacrifice an "untouchable" to appease the James plan.

That is my concern. That all of the tanking and losing to obtain #2 picks is squandered to "get more help" for James.

How many of the Russell, Randle, Clarkson, Ingram, Nance, Ball, Zubac, Hart or Kuzma core will actually still be the roster after moves to help an aging James?

Look at the rosters of the Heat and Cavs. Three to four years from now when the JFT is over will the Lakers roster be filled withe the likes of Frye, Jefferson and Korver from the win now philosophy? Is George or any other marquee free agents sticking around for that? Would love to hear how Irving and Love truly feel about the highs and lows of the past couple years.

Yeah! Another rebuild.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

The hope is that we keep Lonzo/Ingram to pair with PG13/LBJ. Probably start Zub as the 20mpg center.

Would use future 1sts to get role players and hope for some ring chasers. We would only have the room exception next summer, but a full MLE the next summer (which may be 8-9m then).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

waterman40 wrote:

Well, I have said before that the reason I am not a fan of LBJ/PG is because if you do that, Ingram probably has to go. I know others have said just play PG or Ingram at SG. But you're going to play your superstar out of position for your 20 year old? Presents all sorts of problems.

How do you invest in a double superstar max, and then have 20 year olds as the PRIMARY help? Makes no sense to me. What happens if one or both of the young players just aren't ready to be the 3rd/4th option?

What makes more sense, is investing all that money in two superstars and moving assets (i.e. 20 year old players) for that help particularly in a scenario where you have a 33-34 year old star with a limited window.

But that's why I don't like the two superstar route.

I'd prefer Paul George over LBJ (longevity, obviously the King is better right now), and then use the remaining space for multiple pieces that we're going to need to fill (front court, shooters, & bench depth). I prefer the long game, personally.

Last edited by ringfinger on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

Exactly. Also factor the removal of headcoaches, GM's, trainers, ect.

NO to all that garbage
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

The alternatives likely are PG13 +...

Boogie
WB
Re-sign Brook/KCP.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Life is short, play to win. There are no guarantees, so I'd rather take the shot.

Agreed. This is a no brainer despite disliking Lebron
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

If a player needs to be traded, he needs to be traded.

Magic have shown this in the Brooklyn deal.

He has also shown that if a player is untouchable, he means it.

The new FO has been pretty transparent about their plans (that's why I'm a little sad for JC ) and they basically have followed through with it.

They said the 2018 cap space is sacred-they gave a 1 year deal to KCP.

They said they are in play for 2 MAX players in 2018-PG via his agent have announced that the Lakers is their preferred destination and no need to mention all these LBJ to Lakers in 2018 buzz.

FO said Ingram is untouchable. I'd take their word for it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Boogie
WB
Re-sign Brook/KCP.

No on Boogie and definitely no on Westbrook. IMO.

I actually like the last option the best depending on how they fit in here this year.

I mean think about it. If Ball and Ingram are as good as advertised, faces of the greatest franchise in the league, then you essentially have 3 of the GS Warriors 4 in PG, BI, and LB.

Just say NO to the 2 superstar max plan!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

Definitely. One of the greatest, can teach a lot about every area of the game, lead the team, further the team unity, esp. since we do not have a dominant scorer. Defense would improve. Can work additional relationships in the few years he has left to set things up for younger veterans. Lonzo will have his MVP model on and off court, in business, and will get gradually more comfortable with his public voice. Maybe get a ring or two for us. Even if we don't long term will benefit young guns bc they'll see how he works, workouts, weight room, etc.

Lack of a great role model is a weakness right now. No Oakley, no Cassell, no Tony Allen Vince Carter(today) type to teach on court, locker room guidance.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

Let him go to the Clippers...
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Boogie
WB
Re-sign Brook/KCP.

No on Boogie and definitely no on Westbrook. IMO.

I actually like the last option the best depending on how they fit in here this year.

I mean think about it. If Ball and Ingram are as good as advertised, faces of the greatest franchise in the league, then you essentially have 3 of the GS Warriors 4 in PG, BI, and LB.

Just say NO to the 2 superstar max plan!

I am right there with you on all those topics.

Can not express how much I am hoping to see this current roster either have breakout seasons (Randle, Ingram, Clarkson), impressive first year campaigns (Ball, Kuzma, Hart and in a way Zubac) or surprising fit and chemistry (Lopez, KCP and Nance).

A surprisingly competitive and deep team to force the FO to take a serious look at re-signing players and then adding George (if possible) instead of the 2 max plan.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Not if he's gonna hold us hostage with 1+1's for season on end, make decisions about who we should sign, lock up our cap, blame us for it and then bolt, leaving us with all the problems he left behind like he's about to do in Cleveland.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
Life is short, play to win. There are no guarantees, so I'd rather take the shot.

Agreed. This is a no brainer despite disliking Lebron

It's a move more like taking a shot to the head than taking a shot at a title.

Would a review of recent Laker examples of "going for it" influence your mind about the efficacy of making big desperate moves ?

The overblown Kobe contract.
The Nash trade, contract.
The Dwight fiasco.
41-25
45-37
27-55
21-61
17-65
26-56

I just don't see how LeBron brings a strong enough chance to this club for championship run. He doesn't stay long. He leaves quickly if titles don't pile up.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

Sure, I like watching Lebron play. And look forward to the LFT.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Only if he brings his whistle-blowing pals along.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
I've despised him since he started the "chalk toss" his first go around in Cleveland. I mean I want the best for the Lakers though and even though it turns my stomach in ways I can't describe...I'll accept it begrudgingly until the winning overcomes my hate.

I hated their old school Family Feud style team poses during intros.
Laker Math
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on trading for Lebron during the season?

Hello - this is my first post to any Laker forum. Here goes.....

So this would need to wait until Dec 15 and is a huge longshot. But I'd appreciate thoughts on how it might work or why each team would want to do it or not. Detroit seemed to be shopping Drummond a while back. It looks like LeBron will leave Cleveland. So...

LAKERS get :
Lebron James
Andre Drummon

CLEVELAND gets:
Brook Lopez
Jordie Clarkson
Corey Brewer
Julius Randle

DETROIT gets:
Luol Deng
Ian Shumpert
Ivica Zubac
Lakers future 1st rounder; and two 2nd rounders

By December 15, if the Cav's are not doing so well, they will likely want something for LeBron. This trade gives them 2 young players in Jordie and Julius. They'll have to resign JR. They also can resign B Lopez, perhaps a little easier if he likes it there.

Detroit
The get Zubac and picks. Shumpert??

Lakers wind up with:

Ball
KCP
Ingram
L James
Drummond

Nance, Kuzma. and Hart

I haven't done the math, but his should leave some decent cap room too.

Seems like a dream ...or magic!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: