Laker Film Room (Pg. 91: Pete Signed By Lakers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
GT. What are your thoughts when Tania talked about the Russell trade and the reasonings?

The biggest surprise to me was that it didn't seem like playing Russell & Lonzo together was seriously considered, which is really disappointing. I can't speak to the reasons why, but being ready to move on from a kid who was your most productive young player either speaks to 1) how difficult he was to be around, 2) how much damage the Nick Young situation did, 3) really rigid ideas on positions, 4) some combination of the others.

If playing them together wasn't really a consideration and it was a Russell OR Lonzo question to them, it would explain a lot, even if I REALLY disagree with that POV.

I just don't think anyone from the Lakers FO felt this guy had the mental makeup to be a top player on this team. The other thing that kind of struck me is that, as DLO went, so went the Lakers. He was already our alpha dog and he was setting the tone for the team. I suspect he was a potential cancer and they cut it out.

IMHO, there is NO doubt we are a better team now, and we are in a drastically better position to move forward. I supported him while he was here, but having stepped back and observed, I now feel like it was the best move for us to make.

Hate to say it but another thing I seriously did not like, was the bone headed foolishness that was going on with him and Nick Young. There celebrations after winning one game out of five was truly embarrassing as a Lakers fan. Their partying around town was a bit much to take from a bunch of losers. I know Young really improved his play, but his mental makeup is not something I will miss.

I don't mind them being happy and having a party attitude, Showtime certainly did, but they NEED to earn it first. When you are losing, keep your mind sharp, stay humble and be serious.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

Really fascinating stuff about Russell (minute 34) in that interview. The reasons for the benching, in particular, while not personally a Russell fan, struck me as absurd ("We want to toughen him up"). I concur with the observation from the anonymous scout that he didn't seem connected to his teammates. The bickering, dirty looks, miscommunication on passes and PNR coverage, and just lack of joy on the floor is sadly what I think I'll remember the most from his time here. If there's such a thing as an anti-Lonzo I believe it's him.

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Interesting stuff. It's pretty clear to me that:

1. The lakers saw issues with DLO off court (teammate, keeps to himself, etc.)
2. They want to play fast/Luke system and Lonzo fits that better.
3. They just don't see DLO as a SG for whatever reason.

Tbh, both parties are at fault. The lakers didn't have the right culture/environment and that created issues that were exacerbated by DLO and his personality. I do think DLO will get it together in Brooklyn. He will learn from his mistakes and I'm sure the lakers know their own mistakes from culture/environment perspective and are working to rectify that.

Last edited by LakerSD on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Interesting stuff. t's pretty clear to me that:

Tbh, both parties are at fault. The lakers didn't have the right culture/environment and that created issues that were exacerbated by DLO and his personality. I do think DLO will get it together in Brooklyn. He will learn from his mistakes and I'm sure the lakers know their own mistakes from culture/environment perspective and are working to rectify that.

Solid analysis. But I don't think the Lakers think they were at fault with his development when you listen to how Tania talks about the front office's feelings on the trade. They didn't think he was cutting it and were looking to trade him, full stop
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

GT. Great surprise interview with Tania! She's so good at what she does and I can listen to her talk for hours, especially about the Lakers. Don't know why other Lakers shows haven't had her on yet. I'm only halfway through and you guys had all the right questions so far.

The Russell & Ingram question were gold and it's good to know her answers coincided with my assumptions, especially about DLO.

And great job on the Kuzma video. Keep up the great work!

Also, do you ever feel opposing teams will watch your videos and try and use them against the Lakers, or as for Ball, try and draft him before the Lakers could? Or are your videos everything the NBA already knows, but you're just presenting them to the masses for us to process?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Interesting stuff. t's pretty clear to me that:

Solid analysis. But I don't think the Lakers think they were at fault with his development when you listen to how Tania talks about the front office's feelings on the trade. They didn't think he was cutting it and were looking to trade him, full stop

Could be and I don't think they will ever admit their mistakes even if they realize them privately.

I tend to agree with Darius (I think it was him if I'm remembering right) who proposed the idea that the lakers were looking for reasons not to trade him but ultimately it wasn't enough. I do think they saw him as a talented player but just wasn't going to work out in LA. Tania did seem to think that the kid just needed a change of scenery.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Perfectly said.

Excellent job and keep up the great work. Darius and you have one of the best podcasts. As someone has also mentioned, the new graphics on the player breakdown videos are nice.

If you are right about Ingram, the lakers should offer you a scouting job. At a minimum, video coordinator/video jockey j/k on jockey. Seriously, well done, you keep killing it and I see it from all the views, etc. on social media.
Greatness
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject:

Great stuff GT. Big fan of all your work and it is seriously awesome to see how far you've come. You've built up quite the following with interesting and informational content

The stuff about DLo came as a surprise for me. The trade is in the past and I am now looking toward the upcoming season, but was a little taken aback they were looking to move him regardless. Glad it was at least a deal that took out the Mozgov salary in the process.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject:

amazing po GT...wonderful insight...seens tania is incredibly well connected to the current regime...
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

She was great. I was surprised how candid she was with some of the FO stuff and DLo stuff.

Great podcast, GT.

akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

Hate to rehash this, but I cannot buy when Tania says Jeanie brought in Magic to be a liaison between her and the front office. She thought his past relationship with Mitch would allow for Mitch to trust Magic and keep him in the loop.

That is absolute bull. Magic was on First Take and every other ESPN show saying I obviously want to run the Lakers and I want to be president.

He was openly saying he wants their job

On the Russell stuff, it was interesting to hear that the Lakers have been wanting to move on for months. I kind of agreed with Darius that the Lakers had their minds made up on him and were basically looking for reasons to keep him rather than the other way around. Plus, he didn't fit in with their ultimate plan of LBJ + PG.

I also didn't get the toughen him up thing. I wish you would've asked did he do something prior to the benching to get him benched, because the toughen him up thing just sounds PC and actually doesn't make much sense. Why would anyone be cool with being benched not based on merit, but to get "toughed up." There was definitely something else.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

GT, are you planning on doing podcasts throughout the offseason? I can't imagine there will be much to talk about b/w now and training camp
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
GT, are you planning on doing podcasts throughout the offseason? I can't imagine there will be much to talk about b/w now and training camp

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think it's gonna depend on whether or not we can get a guest. I'm gonna try to get Gunnar Peterson, Drew Hanlen, or someone of that ilk on to shed some light on the player's offseason regiments, but I'm not optimistic about the ability to pull it off.

Darius & I are very much kindred spirits in that we aren't gonna create content simply for the sake of views/listens. (although we totally want them!) So if there isn't anything that we think is interesting to talk about, we probably just won't do a show.

Strictly from a branding perspective, I want people to associate anything that has the LFR name attached to it with the thought "this is gonna be good". Sometimes we'll fall short of that, but I want people to really feel like that's what we're striving for, and sometimes that means not doing something just because you can.

GT u should look into trademarking the "team name + Film Room" branding and making a "NBA Film Room" network of blogs/analysts. I think there's already some wannabes ripping off the name (https://twitter.com/sunsfilm)

could be worth a pitch as a "new media/sports journalism" startup venture or something
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
GT u should look into trademarking the "team name + Film Room" branding and making a "NBA Film Room" network of blogs/analysts. I think there's already some wannabes ripping off the name (https://twitter.com/sunsfilm)

could be worth a pitch as a "new media/sports journalism" startup venture or something

Eh, I don't really want to start a network, nor do I think I can reasonably argue that I should have a copyright over an NBA teams' name + "film room". If what I do inspires other people to cover their team in a similar way or if they coincidentally came up with the idea independent of me, that's great.

but...but...$! haha

keep doin ya thing GT
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I was right there with you GT when she was talking about the FO believing Ingram is the only untouchable. Just waiting for her to add "Lonzo is untouchable too now." I was just thinking, "Say it. Say it."
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Tania was great...way more candid than I expected, and this whole thing has been a pretty wild ride.

Yeah man, she was fantastic. Like you said, more candid than expected and provided genuine insight with the inner workings.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:

One thing I didn't get from DLo transaction according to Tania. She said the FO had been trying to move him for a while, for all the problems she mentions. But she also says what put the negotiations in motion was the draft lottery, as we could surely get a good PG at #2 (Fultz, Ball or Fox). It wasn't clear if the lottery was the reason they decided to move DLo or it just precipitated things.

Not that it would change the final result...
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
One thing I didn't get from DLo transaction according to Tania. She said the FO had been trying to move him for a while, for all the problems she mentions. But she also says what put the negotiations in motion was the draft lottery, as we could surely get a good PG at #2 (Fultz, Ball or Fox). It wasn't clear if the lottery was the reason they decided to move DLo or it just precipitated things.

Not that it would change the final result...

I think she was talking about the Jim and Mitch regime too. Let's not forget that they tried to trade Russell and Clarkson for DeMarcus Cousins, back in February. That was an attempt to save their jobs.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

Very good guest this week. Some good insights into the F.O., and Buss fam dynamic

Thx
sAM sHILE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Its about defense. if DLO stayed to play SG, the backcourt would be a porous. He needs to play with a good defender in the backcourt. KCP provides that for Ball
sAM sHILE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Hate to rehash this, but I cannot buy when Tania says Jeanie brought in Magic to be a liaison between her and the front office. She thought his past relationship with Mitch would allow for Mitch to trust Magic and keep him in the loop.

That is absolute bull. Magic was on First Take and every other ESPN show saying I obviously want to run the Lakers and I want to be president.

He was openly saying he wants their job

On the Russell stuff, it was interesting to hear that the Lakers have been wanting to move on for months. I kind of agreed with Darius that the Lakers had their minds made up on him and were basically looking for reasons to keep him rather than the other way around. Plus, he didn't fit in with their ultimate plan of LBJ + PG.

I also didn't get the toughen him up thing. I wish you would've asked did he do something prior to the benching to get him benched, because the toughen him up thing just sounds PC and actually doesn't make much sense. Why would anyone be cool with being benched not based on merit, but to get "toughed up." There was definitely something else.

Honestly, the Russell discussion wasn't planned, so I was just thinking on the fly as best as I could. As soon as she said (paraphrasing) "they were looking to move Russell for a while and the fact that they found a taker for Mozgov's contract was a bonus" made me be like....wait, what?!?! So we went down that road as best as we could on the fly, and probably missed a couple of questions along the way.

I felt like it provided me some closure on the deal though. Even if I REALLY disagreed with some components of it (they didn't consider playing them together?!?!?), I feel like I have a good idea of what happened now.

IMO, together would have provided a porous backcourt defense. Hence, we have KCP to provide balance
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

Really like Kuzma's potential as an on-ball defender.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:

sAM sHILE wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Its about defense. if DLO stayed to play SG, the backcourt would be a porous. He needs to play with a good defender in the backcourt. KCP provides that for Ball

Having watched Ball play defense in the SL, its painfully obvious he is not yet there and will struggle there in his rookie year. Dlo, probably an average defender, would not have been able to keep up with the quicker guards. Pairing them would have likely resulted in the worst defensice backcourt in the league. Yes, offensively I think it would have worked, but defense is what wins games. And the lakers totally lucked out in getting KCP, for which there was not really a real plan for the SG position. The FO was very lucky he became available, and he likely fits way better than Dlo could have.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
sAM sHILE wrote:
IMO, together would have provided a porous backcourt defense. Hence, we have KCP to provide balance

Perhaps, but the same thing would have been said of Steph Curry & Klay Thompson at 21 at 19 years old.

KCP is here for a year, at $18M. We don't really "have" KCP, at least in terms of him being on the roster the next time we have a shot at contending. And if we do, it'll likely mean that we failed to get a max FA and we'll be paying him a LOT more money than we'd be paying Russell.

Russell makes more than $10M less than KCP and we'd have his Bird Rights so that we could go over the cap to re-sign him if necessary. KCP is a good player, but neither of those things are true with him and they matter.

As always, you bring up some good points. But I really can't see either Dlo or Ball being even close to Klay defensively, ever. Not that thats what either needs to be, but it would take some time (a few years) for either to develop into good defenders. And yet, it still may have been worth waiting a couple months into the season before making the decision to trade Dlo. I think the deal they made would have been there in December too.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Do you see Kuzma as more of a 3 now with the potential to be a stretch 4 as well? The reason I'm asking is because a lot of the issues you highlighted seem like they wouldn't be as big of an issue at the 3 to start his career.

I love his potential as a 4 next to Ingram, but I think I like the idea of keeping randle, nance and Kuzma more and I believe it's possible if Kuzma gets most of his minutes at the 3.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 27 of 93
Jump to: