OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2424, 2425, 2426 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

General Basketball Discussion this way: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewforum.php?f=2

Retired Number
Retired Number

I'm not sure this is a good idea to put in Lakers lounge. He is no longer a Laker. I will leave that up to the mods though.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

He wouldn't even say Lonzo's name.

"That guy. That kid."
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

32 wrote:
I'm not sure this is a good idea to put in Lakers lounge. He is no longer a Laker. I will leave that up to the mods though.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

Hey look, another DLO thread...
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@wojespn

Brooklyn guard D'Angelo Russell joins The Woj Pod: What he's found with the Nets, Lakers years and exit. Art19: bit.ly/2eNkRb3

Recap about the Lakers (paraphrasing):

Q: Is it different still living in LA but no longer a Laker?

DLO: "Very different. Not a lot of negative energy, but still a lot of chatter wherever I go. LA fans are great. But I don't do too much, I just stay in my house until I move out soon. Just chillin'."

Q: How was Summer League in Vegas now to when he was drafted, and all the talk about Lonzo Ball?

DLO: "Summer League was cool for me to be around that atmosphere, it was great. But a lot of people made it bigger than what it was with my relationship with that kid (Lonzo) I don't have anything negative about him. He was coming to where I consider home. So of course you're going to feel some type of way about anybody that, but I don't think it wasn't anything on him. People made it bigger than what it was. He was still a professional basketball player and it was fun for us."

Q: What was your initial reaction to being traded?

DLO: "Honestly I put myself in their positions (Lakers front office) that they have to get rid of talent to move contracts, just looking in the mirror I knew it could possibly be me in that position and made that conclusion. But my agent (Aaron Mintz) did a good job and kept me in the loop. Prior it to happening I kind of expected it to happen and just hoped it was a good situation."

Q: What do you know better now than you did back when you were 19 walking in with the Lakers?

DLO: "I understand the business a lot better, for it to happen to me. I've learned every organizations are different. You talk to GM's and coaches from other teams and you see their relationships with some of their players, and you see other organizations that don't have that kind of relationship with their players, you see a lot of guys happy when they get that kind of treatment. Coming into the Lakers, it was what it was. Being traded to Brooklyn and you see what it is, it's something you can't really complain."

Q: How much did you like playing off the ball in the latter part of your Laker season?

DLO: It's easier. I like the ability to do both jobs. But playmaking - that's my strength. Instead of coming across the half court with the ball in my hand, setting up guys, then when the ball comes back making plays... but when you're off the ball as soon as you get the ball, the sooner you can make plays."

Q: How did the 2nd regime (Magic Johnson) view you and how you fit in their vision?"

DLO: "I definitely didn't have a clear picture, they didn't draft me so it's all different. When they say around the league about GM's who didn't draft you that they're ready to get rid of you or use you as a trade tool. I really didn't know. I had a relationship with their GM before Magic. So I never knew. I just kept going everyday with tunnel vision and just working hard."

Q: When the Lakers got the #2 pick this season, you thought what?

DLO: "I didn't know. I didn't know from their mouths who they were targeting. I knew whatever happens, happens for a reason. I didn't really have a blueprint of what they have laid out for me."

Q: DeMarcus Cousins trade talks where your name was being mentioned for the first time, what was that like?"

DLO: "At that time all I heard was my name. You never expect it to happen to you. You see guys get traded all the time. I remember when Lou Williams got traded and I felt really bad because he was my guy, he was the best player in our team. I didn't expect him to get traded. They got this guy who was dominating, we weren't winning games, but he was bringing it every night. His stock was high so I saw that from their perspective. And I see him go to Houston and dominating, he should've won 6th man. Then you see James Harden get traded from Oklahoma and makes his career. So I never once look into being traded as a negative. I just have to make the best out of that too."

Q: How different is the environment between LA and Brooklyn to do your work?

DLO: "Way different. The freedom. In LA it's not like a college, where like in Brooklyn where they run things like a college where you have a schedule laid out, a time, you know what it is. I don't want to downgrade any organization. It's just different. When you're a young player from college you thrive within a structure."

Q: Magic made a comment about your leadership after you were traded, were you surprised?

DLO: "Definitely. I didn't expect it. I didn't know the reason behind it. I'm off your hands, I'm on a new team. I don't understand the comment. I still don't. He's still one of the best PG to ever play the game, and whatever he has to say is something I can run with it, just take it and run with it and make the negative into a positive, make the best thing out of it. I'm not going to go back and forth with Magic. Nothing you can do about it."

Q: Is the scrutiny in LA more different, that you get judged much more than your draft class?

DLO: "I learned right away coming in young that it's magnified. You experience and learn from it. It's all you can do. But I would never go back and changed it. I don't really care either though. I still have a brand I'm still trying to you know... at the end of the day I don't care what people say about me. The feeling is mutual. I just keep my circle small and just work hard."

----

He also talked about learning a lot from Rajon Rondo around his high school days on how to play smart and just carry himself with confidence. Learning a lot from Chris Paul playing him 4 nights a week in the West. Talked about his coach Thad Matta being fired in OSU how he blossomed under him. Woj ends by saying he can tell Dlo his name isn't being mentioned in trades right now (Woj broke the Dlo trade to Brooklyn).
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

But isn't he talking about his time with the Lakers?
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

If a player from another team says something about the Lakers, it gets posted in the Lounge since it's "Lakers related".

But whatever, it's all good.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:

"That guy. That kid."

I did find that odd but I listened to the pod and thought he had a pretty level headed attitude about the whole thing.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

So either he's saying he needed to be babied by the Lakers, or the Lakers just didn't provide the necessary structure and environment for a young, 19-year old player to develop and succeed. Either way, what a (bleep) mess of a relationship. Two sides that just didn't understand each other at all.

Last edited by TheBlackMamba on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

but how are his teeth?!
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Username wrote:

"That guy. That kid."

I did find that odd but I listened to the pod and thought he had a pretty level headed attitude about the whole thing.

Certainly lends some credence to the idea that trading him was more of a Lonzo versus DLo issue than just a DLo issue.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

I was just in Brooklyn this weekend. Didn't see DLO.

End report.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Quote:
@wojespn

Brooklyn guard D'Angelo Russell joins The Woj Pod: What he's found with the Nets, Lakers years and exit. Art19: bit.ly/2eNkRb3

Q: Magic made a comment about your leadership after you were traded, were you surprised?

DLO: "Definitely. I didn't expect it. I didn't know the reason behind it. I'm off your hands, I'm on a new team. I don't understand the comment. I still don't. He's still one of the best PG to ever play the game, and whatever he has to say is something I can run with it, just take it and run with it and make the negative into a positive, make the best thing out of it. I'm not going to go back and forth with Magic. Nothing you can do about it."

Dlo trade went from being a what the f moment to actually a good trade with Kuzma blossoming and especially after signing KCP too.

Only thing I didn't like about it was Magic's unnecessary comments. He didn't have to take a shot at Dlo like that. Came across as a low blow coming from an NBA Team President to say that. He should've just said "thank you for your time here" and left it at that.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Quote:
@wojespn

Dlo trade went from being a what the f moment to actually a good trade with Kuzma blossoming and especially after signing KCP too.

Only thing I didn't like about it was Magic's unnecessary comments. He didn't have to take a shot at Dlo like that. Came across as a low blow coming from an NBA Team President to say that. He should've just said "thank you for your time here" and left it at that.

We know Magic has no filter and he had a slip in that press conference that shouldn't have happened. But since then, he's been pretty complementary of DLo and called him a great, very talented young guard or something along those lines during one of his 10,000 summer league interviews.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Username wrote:

"That guy. That kid."

Certainly lends some credence to the idea that trading him was more of a Lonzo versus DLo issue than just a DLo issue.

Its a few things. The Lakers wanted to move on from Russell, and they wanted to unload one if their albatrosses. It's really that simple. The Brooklyn trade afforded them both.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
So either he's saying he needed to be babied by the Lakers, or the Lakers just didn't provide the necessary structure and environment for a young, 19-year old player to develop and succeed. Either way, what a (bleep) mess of a relationship. Two sides that just didn't understand each other at all.

you'd have to hear the other side too to draw a conclusion, no?

Because, from what I have heard, the Lakers tried to help him. He wasn't listening much (and that's prior to the trade, not a parting shot at him)
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Username wrote:

"That guy. That kid."

Its a few things. The Lakers wanted to move on from Russell, and they wanted to unload one if their albatrosses. It's really that simple. The Brooklyn trade afforded them both.

yep
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Because, from what I have heard, the Lakers tried to help him. He wasn't listening much (and that's prior to the trade, not a parting shot at him)

Yeah, I'm saying it could be seen as either side being the one to blame, but most likely a combination of both. What's clear is that both sides didn't understand each other at all.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

respectful answers, only subtle digs about Nets being more organized. Best of Luck to Ice in the Vein... winter edition
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Yeah, I'm saying it could be seen as either side being the one to blame, but most likely a combination of both. What's clear is that both sides didn't understand each other at all.

plausible position. I look at it slightly different. The change was necessary for both sides as it wasn't going to work, IMHO. Or, to be more accurate, the trajectory of his development was pointing out in this direction as it is too early to predict player's future after year two...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

I think the change will benefit both the Lakers and DLO. The bummer for me is that he is so young and that he may have a 10 year window.

But if we get 2 max players in 2018, i can't complain.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

He calls Lonzo kid. He says Magic is one of the best point guards ever to play the game. Name a better point guard kid.
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

I think y'all reading in too much about him not calling Lonzo by his name lol.

Good interview, and do wish him the best out there in Nets land.

Last edited by singlecamVTEC on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

The bit about the Nets being like a college and the freedom in LA in really interesting to me. It would definitely help to have a schedule laid out for someone that has supposedly bad work ethic. I really hope for the best with DLO and hope be becomes a great player one day.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2424, 2425, 2426 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2425 of 2856
Jump to: