OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2433, 2434, 2435 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
I'm pretty sure this conversation has gone past lounge worthy. I vote merge, it's not even good reading anymore.

So then don't open the thread and read it? Lol jk

Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

#StayInYoLane wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I don't see anything eye opening in what DLo said. Saw 8 page thread and thought he dropped a bomb but, not much to see there.

he basically said he needs someone to lay out daily plans for him because he obviously couldn't do it himself in LA.

And that's eye opening how?

He's confirming his own immaturity, which was part of the reason he was traded.

And you were flabbergasted by the comment? My point was there is nothing really in there to take to the water cooler at work like dude, did you hear what DLo said about needing a schedule? I mean come on.

Yes it wasn't a huge deal i was just saying it was something that caught my attention. Maybe i need the guy above to define eye opening.

Where did flabbergasted come from, I never said i was flabbergasted. Could you at least define it.

In regards to the comments made about the Lakers not lying out a schedule for him is pretty eye-opening in my opinion. D - Lo is probably the only player and will be the only player ever to complain that his employer didn't make a schedule for him to follow? I think what Lakersz113 is trying to get across is:

How can we invest in a player we need to lead our franchise/team, when he needs us to supply him with a hour-by-hour schedule on what he needs to do in order for us to get to our goals (win a championship)?

Being a good player with potential and being a leader are mutually exclusive.

Thank-you before lock
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Honest interview. Liked dlo. Like my current squad better. Hope he reaches his ceiling. Will be fun to see his career unfold.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

#StayInYoLane wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I don't see anything eye opening in what DLo said. Saw 8 page thread and thought he dropped a bomb but, not much to see there.

he basically said he needs someone to lay out daily plans for him because he obviously couldn't do it himself in LA.

And you were flabbergasted by the comment? My point was there is nothing really in there to take to the water cooler at work like dude, did you hear what DLo said about needing a schedule? I mean come on.

Yes it wasn't a huge deal i was just saying it was something that caught my attention. Maybe i need the guy above to define eye opening.

Where did flabbergasted come from, I never said i was flabbergasted. Could you at least define it.

In regards to the comments made about the Lakers not lying out a schedule for him is pretty eye-opening in my opinion. D - Lo is probably the only player and will be the only player ever to complain that his employer didn't make a schedule for him to follow? I think what Lakersz113 is trying to get across is:

How can we invest in a player we need to lead our franchise/team, when he needs us to supply him with a hour-by-hour schedule on what he needs to do in order for us to get to our goals (win a championship)?

He enjoyed the structure of College, and found it difficult to adjust to the NBA life off the court.
Pretty common.
What's uncommon is his willingness to admit it. In fact, he seems pretty level headed and self aware.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
#StayInYoLane wrote:

So...why couldn't he just be a good player? Why did he have to be the leader?

How many of the guys we drafted are significantly better players than when we drafted them? Maybe there IS a problem with our player development. Maybe drafting 19 year olds with the expectation that they know how to be professionals with minimal structure is absurd and terrible management of multi-million dollar assets?

Especially given the fact that he has yet to play an NBA game for a team trying to win.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
#StayInYoLane wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Thank-you before lock

This is quite hyperbolic. Dlo comes in and Byron makes it clear that rookies are beneath him and haven't earned the right to be told anything, so they're left to figure everything out on their own. Dlo wasn't talking about any hour-by-hour scheduling bs LG'rs are making up. It was an intentional lack of any support structure put in place by BS to figure out who he wants in his fox hole.
When someone that loves chaos as much as Swaggy P thinks a situation is a circus act that should be a pretty big red flag.

Strangely enough some teams choose a different approach with their 19yr olds.

Last edited by LakersRGolden on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Username wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:
I think y'all reading in too much about him not calling Lonzo by his name lol.

Good interview, and do wish him the best out there in Nets land.

You think he doesn't know Lonzo Ball's name?

"That guy, that kid"

Woj: "You mean Lonzo Ball?"

"Yeah."

just shows how immature and childish he still is.

I can see a Legion of Doom meeting with Fox, Fultz, & DLo all calling Zo 'That Kid'

Hey DLo...you're like 2 years older than 'That Kid'

I loved it when Kobe referred to Raja Bell as a "kid" though he's older than Kobe.

Kobe referred to Raja as a kid to insult and belittle him.
You think there was the same intent here? Maybe.

DLo tweeted last year, "This Lonzo kid low key nice". He knows his name, trust.

This was the only statement that made me wince. I hate the use of "brand", but that's when anyone uses it lest they actually have one.

DLO: "I don't really care either though. I still have a brand I'm still trying to you know... at the end of the day I don't care what people say about me. The feeling is mutual."

The most obnoxious thing he said on record was the postgame where Ireland asked him why he was playing better than he was 2 games prior and he replied, "I have absolutely no idea..." It was a little bit smug the way he said it, sorry yinoma2001. He hurt me, yinoma2001... Ireland tried to help him out of that and he repeated it. You should probably care to know the answer to such a question as a pro, just sayin. That preceded the "You seem up" quip. Those kinds of things give off the appearance that you're flippant and nonchalant about your craft, as does pointing out your brand. Not a good look if you have a regime change where they're demanding in clear language that they expect hard work from the kiddies (and even Julius is towing the line). It may not save Julius in the end, but he's coming from "I have a young wife and a newborn, I don't want to overturn the apple cart right now, I'd better get going." He's on a higher rung of the game of life than D'Lo is right now.

The Lou Williams thing was worth a chuckle. He doesn't know what a journeyman is. That's just a hint at DLo's "youngness".
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
DLO homer for life over here, if I can move on, so can you guys, I promise

He must have left quite an impression on you in the 2 losing years that he was here. That's remarkable!
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

When the DAR trade is judged in future it probably won't be about Lonzo versus DAR, who should Lakers have kept?

But rather should they have kept both? Just the way that is the only interesting question about Harden's trade to Houston by OKC now five years down the line.'

Was selling him early to have a chance at PG13 / LeBron coming to Lakers worth it??

Of course if DAR is a total bust no one will be talking about this at all or it will just be all about kudos to Lakers ... but right now I don't expect that
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

He must have left quite an impression on you in the 2 losing years that he was here. That's remarkable!

Again, you guys need to let go, not me
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Username wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:

"That guy, that kid"

"Yeah."

I can see a Legion of Doom meeting with Fox, Fultz, & DLo all calling Zo 'That Kid'

I loved it when Kobe referred to Raja Bell as a "kid" though he's older than Kobe.

This was the only statement that made me wince. I hate the use of "brand", but that's when anyone uses it lest they actually have one.

DLO: "I don't really care either though. I still have a brand I'm still trying to you know... at the end of the day I don't care what people say about me. The feeling is mutual."

The most obnoxious thing he said on record was the postgame where Ireland asked him why he was playing better than he was 2 games prior and he replied, "I have absolutely no idea..." It was a little bit smug the way he said it, sorry yinoma2001. He hurt me, yinoma2001... Ireland tried to help him out of that and he repeated it. You should probably care to know the answer to such a question as a pro, just sayin. That preceded the "You seem up" quip. Those kinds of things give off the appearance that you're flippant and nonchalant about your craft, as does pointing out your brand. Not a good look if you have a regime change where they're demanding in clear language that they expect hard work from the kiddies (and even Julius is towing the line). It may not save Julius in the end, but he's coming from "I have a young wife and a newborn, I don't want to overturn the apple cart right now, I'd better get going." He's on a higher rung of the game of life than D'Lo is right now.

The Lou Williams thing was worth a chuckle. He doesn't know what a journeyman is. That's just a hint at DLo's "youngness".

That dlo line was probably the most revealing if you've been following him closely. Yes he does care. He cares a lot. As I've said before, I think he's extremely sensitive (and very socially awkward, almost add or spectrum-ish, or both), and the culture shock of Byron, a number of fans who didn't lime the pick, and a media circus that wanted himnto be engaging yet also wanted to play the wrong pick/struggling angle, were more than be was prepared to handle. And like a lot of immature men, he tried handling it by withdrawing, being stubborn, partying. Anything to feel in control. It's clear he was even more mentally than physically immature, and still is, but is seeming to work on both.

I figured Luke would be good for him, but Luke is more hands off and freedom, which coming out of Byron world was not what he really needed. Byron gave him structure without love, and Walton seemed to give him love without structure. He needs a dad for a coach. Maybe Atkinson will be that. Kid has a ton of talent and an assassin's moxy, so I hope he is able to get the rest on track.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Username wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:

"That guy, that kid"

"Yeah."

That dlo line was probably the most revealing if you've been following him closely. Yes he does care. He cares a lot. As I've said before, I think he's extremely sensitive (and very socially awkward, almost add or spectrum-ish, or both), and the culture shock of Byron, a number of fans who didn't lime the pick, and a media circus that wanted himnto be engaging yet also wanted to play the wrong pick/struggling angle, were more than be was prepared to handle. And like a lot of immature men, he tried handling it by withdrawing, being stubborn, partying. Anything to feel in control. It's clear he was even more mentally than physically immature, and still is, but is seeming to work on both.

I figured Luke would be good for him, but Luke is more hands off and freedom, which coming out of Byron world was not what he really needed. Byron gave him structure without love, and Walton seemed to give him love without structure. He needs a dad for a coach. Maybe Atkinson will be that. Kid has a ton of talent and an assassin's moxy, so I hope he is able to get the rest on track.

What line was the most revealing? And I honestly have no idea how you can read his personality to that extent. I don't think I agree. I just think he's like any typical 19-21 year old.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Generalizing "You guys" is not very proper.
I find it interesting that someone who calls himself a Dlo homer for life can tell others to let it go. Maybe you should've let it go the day he was no longer a Laker?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Username wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:

"That guy, that kid"

"Yeah."

What line was the most revealing? And I honestly have no idea how you can read his personality to that extent. I don't think I agree. I just think he's like any typical 19-21 year old.

It would be dishonest if we don't admit that we all thought Luke was the perfect coach for Dlo, especially after having to endure the Byron era.
If he needed a warm loving coach who would cuddle him with structure, then the trade makes even more sense.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

Even beyond the Lakers grave he still seems to haunt.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Username wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:

"That guy, that kid"

"Yeah."

You stipulate what is entirely unknowable as fact, then apply those facts to a psychological profile that is also unknowable.
So, in fairness to what we will never know, we could also suggest that Russell was a young man with an inflated sense of entitlement, who was not humble enough to take direction and lost the faith of those around him.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Username wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:

"That guy, that kid"

"Yeah."

You stipulate what is entirely unknowable as fact, then apply those facts to a psychological profile that is also unknowable.
So, in fairness to what we will never know, we could also suggest that Russell was a young man with an inflated sense of entitlement, who was not humble enough to take direction and lost the faith of those around him.

You summarized my thoughts exactly. Sure OL's take could be correct, but IMO there's way too much reaching/guesswork involved there. One would really need to know the kid personally to get all that. Just as his take about the situation could be correct, yours could be as well.

I see both sides. It's all random stipulations from our end though. Both sides probably have different perspectives and it's probably somewhere in the middle.

It was interesting to hear that the Lakers have been considering moving him for months. The new regime just took over in February. Traded him in June. If I had to guess they came in wanting to move on from him.

Fresh start for all parties. Also living in NYC, I finally have some reason to go catch some games for cheap at Barclays, so I'm excited about that. The Nets aren't good at all, but I like what they are building. Also Barclays is a really nice arena, so I'm glad to have an excuse to go out there a few times now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Calm, peeps. Omar was one of his most visible supporters when the trade went down. He didn't say anything remotely controversial there. Russell is a human being, not a faultless diety. He can make a mistake every now and then just like any of us and no one's saying he's a bad guy because of it. His mistakes (gasp!) are relatively minor compared to Van Exel for example. Or Ceballos. I was for the trade and not simply because he wasn't my favorite, but I agree with Omar's very measured take there, even though we disagree on the value returned. I do agree that rebranded Jersey could be good for him, I said that on the night thereof. He himself just stated as much in that interview. That should be a hint that he knows that he wasn't a fit for LA and vice versa. There's common ground to be found in this situation, but it won't happen with 1-line retorts.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:
When the DAR trade is judged in future it probably won't be about Lonzo versus DAR, who should Lakers have kept?

But rather should they have kept both? Just the way that is the only interesting question about Harden's trade to Houston by OKC now five years down the line.'

Was selling him early to have a chance at PG13 / LeBron coming to Lakers worth it??

Of course if DAR is a total bust no one will be talking about this at all or it will just be all about kudos to Lakers ... but right now I don't expect that

Very very true.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Username wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:

"That guy, that kid"

"Yeah."

Yes, those words like probably, i think, and it seems are definitely there tonstipulate my opi ion as fact.

Fwiw, I've followed him pretty closely, and have talked with people who have interacted with him, so my take, while speculative, is educated somewhat. I also agree that he's cocky, and also very immature. Just think it was a confluence of things thst didn't help though. I don't, for example, think it turns out that way in San Antonio.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Generalizing "You guys" is not very proper.
I find it interesting that someone who calls himself a Dlo homer for life can tell others to let it go. Maybe you should've let it go the day he was no longer a Laker?

Why, we can't be fans of players who aren't Lakers? What a load of hogwash. I find it interesting that you fail to grasp the very simple message justsomelakerfan stated. Basically simple. DLO is gone, you can ignore him or even dislike him, but you have no right to tell others to act the way you want to act. If he wants to be a fan for life, why the hell do you care? God complex? Let others enjoy whatever the hell they want to enjoy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:

So you are convinced that no one here at LG has actually known DLO? Expand your world a little, there are those here who do know exactly what they post about. Nothing is "unknowable".
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Fwiw, I've followed him pretty closely, and have talked with people who have interacted with him, so my take, while speculative, is educated somewhat.

You got any anecdotes that haven't been aired already? What was the overall take of the people who interacted with him? Were they saying the same general things that Byron probably told Magic on the phone? Byron must've cut him to shreds to his old pal behind the scenes. Worthy and Fisher smiling derisively like that and Worthy going to the point of saying, "He'll learn..." seemed foreboding to me at the time. Looking back at that, it's easy to translate that as, "He'll learn when he gets dealt" more than "He's young and still has learning to do". It seemed like they all were privy to stuff that didn't even leak out.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Even beyond the Lakers grave he still seems to haunt.

Fascinating, isn't it?

btw any reaction to their actions over in Brooklyn. They now plan on starting Lin, Russell, and Crabbe as the 1, 2, & 3. They are guard heavy, but set up nicely for the planned style of play. I think Sean Marks deserves credit for building something out of the crap sandwich left by his predecessor. If Atkinson is as good as I think he might be, that might be a fun team to watch.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Fwiw, I've followed him pretty closely, and have talked with people who have interacted with him, so my take, while speculative, is educated somewhat.

You got any anecdotes that haven't been aired already? What was the overall take of the people who interacted with him? Were they saying the same general things that Byron probably told Magic on the phone? Byron must've cut him to shreds to his old pal behind the scenes. Worthy and Fisher smiling derisively like that and Worthy going to the point of saying, "He'll learn..." seemed foreboding to me at the time. Looking back at that, it's easy to translate that as, "He'll learn when he gets dealt" more than "He's young and still has learning to do". It seemed like they all were privy to stuff that didn't even leak out.

For one, there's rumor that he blew Pelinka's agency off pretty badly when Rob was trying to represent him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2433, 2434, 2435 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2434 of 2856
Jump to: