Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
Another good move was not overpaying for Paul George this year. Yes it would have been nice to get him over here this year and it would have likely increased our chances of keeping him. There are no guarantees Paul George will be signing with us next year but I'm glad the FO held firm.

George evidently disagrees.

Disagrees with what? You somehow know that George wishes we overpaid for him? I doubt that. 32 is right. No guarantee we get PG13 next season, but better we didn't overpay for him and instead gamble the Thunder are the second round and out team they look to be instead of stripping our team down for George and leave him no one to play with.

Well I heard him say he was disappointed that we didn't try harder to trade for him.

Did you hear George say this directly or did you hear this from Woj?

An interview with Woj. Plus it has been reported by others. I don't see why it is that hard to believe, he wanted to be a Laker.

I thought he said dont trade away youth for him, because hes coming anyway.

no, there is no quote from him that says dont trade away youth for him, but he did say he was disappointed the Lakers did not make more of an effort to trade for him. Is he telling the truth, or saying what he thinks needs to be said.....no idea, but that was the only quote from him on the subject that I am aware of as of today.

From Woj

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/rumor-lakers-told-not-trade-202202842.html

Where is the link with the quote from him he was disappointing we didn't trade for him?

Nice post Lakerz. There are several other links that make the same claim about George not wanting the Lakers to trade for him now (and get rid of assets).
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject:

I love what Magic and Pelinka are doing in terms of roster construction.

The main difference is not about the quality of the players we are going after, but it is clear that they have an idea about the way they envision we should play and are bringing players that can fill the roles. The lack of synergy was evident under Mitch while Magic is clearly going after players that can run, move the ball, attack the basket and play hard on defense.

I see direction now, before it was just names.

We had a solid draft and it was clear how every piece could fit alongside Ball. If you commit to a kid as your PG of the future you have to give him the kind of teammates that would help him to succeed and he is going to make all those players better.

The synergy is a fundamental part of roster construction and Magic seems to know it.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject:

100% agree

nash wrote:

The main difference is not about the quality of the players we are going after, but it is clear that they have an idea about the way they envision we should play and are bringing players that can fill the roles. The lack of synergy was evident under Mitch while Magic is clearly going after players that can run, move the ball, attack the basket and play hard on defense.

We had a solid draft and it was clear how every piece could fit alongside Ball. If you commit to a kid as your PG of the future you have to give him the kind of teammates that would help him to succeed and he is going to make all those players better.

The synergy is a fundamental part of roster construction and Magic seems to know it.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

GM Rob on Dan Patrick show this morning.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:

I agree, and think that's one of the reasons why they didn't see DLO as part of the picture. A Lonzo team needs to run to be at its best, and that's not DLO's strong suit at all.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPhsR4_SCI

GM Rob on Dan Patrick show this morning.

Recap?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Rob said the big obstacle in the Rose meeting was that he wanted to chase a title, so the shift went towards the Cavs.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
nash wrote:

I agree, and think that's one of the reasons why they didn't see DLO as part of the picture. A Lonzo team needs to run to be at its best, and that's not DLO's strong suit at all.

I'm not allowed to talk about the player, but if you choose someone to be the face of the franchise and your PG of the future I believe you have to provide the best possible environment for this player and the players you put around him to succeed and that is something I believe our current front office is doing way better than the former.

We had a feedback this week about how it is different for a young player to come from a college program to a NBA program. I'm not telling it was Jim or Mitch's fault, but Magic and Pelinka can take it as a lesson facilitating the transition for future prospects.

You have to learn from the the past mistakes, not necessarily just the ones you did. I like the way Magic and Pelinka are building a roster taking into account Luke system and the way Ball plays the game. That is a privilege the rookies that came past three seasons didn't have.

Last edited by nash on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

Rob said he wants us to be good now and very good in the future
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

A very good interview
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Interesting shift in the narrative from Pelinka. And I like the direction he is heading, as it is definitely more in line with how I would like to see us approach it.

This is what he said today:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724202-lakers-news-rob-pelinka-magic-johnson-hopeful-la-can-add-a-superstar-or-2

Quote:
"And then the final plan, Magic and I did a trade to allow us to have double-max cap room a July from now, so with our platform we're really hopeful that we can add maybe a superstar or two to this young core and have the best of both worlds,"

Note the use of words "hopeful" and "maybe" and "a superstar or two".

A month ago, Pelinka said this on the same topic:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19713724/rob-pelinka-los-angeles-lakers-says-trade-brooklyn-nets-going-big-impact-future

Quote:
"...we need two superstar players to come here and join this platform and join our core group of players we now have."

Went from "need" and "two superstar players" to "hopeful", "maybe", "1 or 2 superstar players". Good.

Rob, we only need 1 superstar here. Spend the rest of your money wisely.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Rob has been all over the map with his quotes describing the plans for two max slots next year. All I know is we will have a lot of money to spend and next year will be a great free agent class and there will be a multitude of possibilities including spending money on some of our own players.

Last edited by 32 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka taking questions from fans on Mason & Ireland now...

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?s=la
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Rob has been all over the map with his quotes describing the plans for two max slots next year. All I know is we will have a lot of money to spend and next year will be a great free agent class and there will be a multitude of possibilities including spending money on our own players.

I agree. In the same interview session, he refers to his plan as the "two max plan" and the "two superstar plan".

I know he's an agent and so from that angle, a max is a max, but WHO gets that makes a huge freaking difference. Hope he realizes that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Rob has been all over the map with his quotes describing the plans for two max slots next year. All I know is we will have a lot of money to spend and next year will be a great free agent class and there will be a multitude of possibilities including spending money on our own players.

He had no experience and is learning on the fly, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the plans are evolving with time. I would much rather see that than a plan that they would never deviate from.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

He had no experience and is learning on the fly, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the plans are evolving with time. I would much rather see that than a plan that they would never deviate from.

Yeah but another word for plans that "evolve over time" is no plan.

If the landscape has changed, and thus the plan, that's fine. But if nothing has really changed, but the plans are constantly changing, that's not really evolving per se.

That said, I'm glad he has backed down from the "two superstar" mandate.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:

I agree. In the same interview session, he refers to his plan as the "two max plan" and the "two superstar plan".

I know he's an agent and so from that angle, a max is a max, but WHO gets that makes a huge freaking difference. Hope he realizes that.

I personally think that's essentially the same thing. Magic and Pelinka are going to be smart on giving out the max. I don't think that they are going to give it to a non superstar. Especially since Jeanie talked about the Mozgov and Deng signings.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

This Management is just showing me so much positive vibe. I can't fathom Jim or Mitch doing this. Magic is just a people person and so down to earth, that you just gotta love him.

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

OT: I didn't know Rob was part of that Fab 5 Michigan team:

https://twitter.com/MastaRedSnappa/status/892823105181073408

That hair doe!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject:

Good article here on trades and FOs. A lot of it is already common knowledge but some good nuggets in there...this part was interesting.

Quote:
Several general managers noted that there are some organizations that leak talks to the media almost immediately, so they will forgo discussing players with those teams unless it’s absolutely necessary. That means your favorite team may have missed out on moves just because they can’t keep quiet. Certain agents also have a reputation for leaking things, so they’re left in the dark when discussions involving their players are taking place.

Executives said that most trade conversations take place in-person or over the phone, since the information being discussed is too sensitive to text and that could lead to leaks. Several executives mentioned one team that is constantly sending text messages to ask about possible trades or gauge interest in their own players, but they made it clear that this organization is the exception and texting is rare.

So, why is information leaked to the press?

One general manager said that he has seen younger, lower-level executives leak things to the media because they hope it can help them down the road. They want to be GMs one day and they believe getting the media on their side can help them. Some executives will also trade information with the media, giving up intel in order to learn something else about a certain team or player.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/02/21/this-is-how-trades-go-down-in-the-nba/amp/
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

This FO is incredible!!!
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

I know it's a different sport and Magic is basically just the face, but ever since he took over the Dodgers, they have been building really good.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
I know it's a different sport and Magic is basically just the face, but ever since he took over the Dodgers, they have been building really good.

but that is the thing...he never took over the Dodgers
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

but that is the thing...he never took over the Dodgers

Okay, he partnered up with investors and bought them.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:

Hopefully a pattern is developing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 23 of 174
Jump to: