How to tell your racist friend, we're not friends anymore.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

While drinking your cold beer, tell him how much you love Barack 'greatest president ever' Obama and how much you despises Donald 'I wanna date my daughter, grab em by the poom poom' Trump... and update us what happened
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
"I'm sorry, your views just don't match up with my idea of how to treat my fellow humans. You're free to feel and say what you wish, but not to me. Good luck"

He's too old. Nope.

What does his age have to do with it? There's no need to get into the mud or try to change him. Just clearly tell him that's not ok for you and you aren't going to associate with it or him.

I think once a person has lived for so long holding certain beliefs so closely, it becomes part of their identity. I don't think someone with his life experience will change. Is why I say he's too old.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

Update:

I received a text message this morning from one of the servers (who is a Lakers fan so we talk regularly). Turns out he had to be physically removed by the staff last night after I snuck away. He was drunk and began berating a Muslim family at a nearby table. A group of regulars at the bar confronted him and he got belligerent.

He's now banned from there also. However, after sharing a table with him I think I'm also guilty by association now so I'll probably never go back.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
While drinking your cold beer, tell him how much you love Barack 'greatest president ever' Obama and how much you despises Donald 'I wanna date my daughter, grab em by the poom poom' Trump... and update us what happened

I normally try to avoid political conversations outside of the Lg political thread. In real life, I've discovered those conversations end poorly.

Last edited by lakerjoshua on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

I will try my best when the timing is right to give my most stoned and insightful reply

But your friend wouldn't happen to be President Trump or his ex Butler would it?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

You shouldn't have made friends with Epic Beard Man.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
I will try my best when the timing is right to give my most stoned and insightful reply

But your friend wouldn't happen to be President Trump or his ex Butler would it?

I've got pictures as proof.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

I lived with a very racist guy for my last two semesters. At first it was ok he was more reserved with the things he said and stuff. Second semester, yeah it was too much. I basically ghosted him, when I saw him in the apartment and he asked something, I gave him one or two word answers. When he confronted me about it I just said "I don't like you nor respect you so why would I waste my time with you?"

Last edited by PRLakeShow on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Update:

I received a text message this morning from one of the servers (who is a Lakers fan so we talk regularly). Turns out he had to be physically removed by the staff last night after I snuck away. He was drunk and began berating a Muslim family at a nearby table. A group of regulars at the bar confronted him and he got belligerent.

He's now banned from there also. However, after sharing a table with him I think I'm also guilty by association now so I'll probably never go back.

Geez. Dump his old ass.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
governator wrote:

I normally try to avoid political conversations outside of the Lg political thread. In real life, I've discovered those conversations end poorly.

Same here actually, it sounded funny in my head when I typed it but in real life... no good outcome out of it
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Just ghost him already.

No need to stir the pot.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
"I'm sorry, your views just don't match up with my idea of how to treat my fellow humans. You're free to feel and say what you wish, but not to me. Good luck"

He's too old. Nope.

What does his age have to do with it? There's no need to get into the mud or try to change him. Just clearly tell him that's not ok for you and you aren't going to associate with it or him.

I think once a person has lived for so long holding certain beliefs so closely, it becomes part of their identity. I don't think someone with his life experience will change. Is why I say he's too old.

But you're not trying to actually change him are you? He's too old to change his ways, that's fine. But that's no reason for you to put up with that BS so just say that you don't want to have that negativity and hate in your life and wish him all the best. The end.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to tell your racist friend, we're not friends anymore.

lakerjoshua wrote:

We made small talk, he was drinking heavily, told me how he'd been banned from the old pub and had been coming here now, and how happy he was to see me and how we can make this our "new" place....sigh.

How do I tell him he's not my friend anymore because he's a racist if he doesn't get it already?

The bolded is your answer. Just start going back to the old place.
Problem solved. You won't have to talk to/see him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

SectorSevenG wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

He's too old. Nope.

But you're not trying to actually change him are you? He's too old to change his ways, that's fine. But that's no reason for you to put up with that BS so just say that you don't want to have that negativity and hate in your life and wish him all the best. The end.

All that evil needs to triumph is for good men to [say] nothing.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

Turn the other cheek, Joshua.

That way when you give him a wheelhouse kick, you'll leave him his ass.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
SectorSevenG wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

He's too old. Nope.

All that evil needs to triumph is for good men to [say] nothing.

This.

Tell him he is a douche, and his actions and his actions alone are why you are no longer his friend, why others are no longer his friend, and why he is no longer welcome at the other bar. Tell him you are actively surrounding yourself with positivity, and the world needs good people, less (bleep). Tell him you would welcome his friendship again, but he has to clean up his act and not speak about others in such manners. Be blunt with him. Don't be coy. Say with an air of confidence as if that and that alone is the problem.

If he does not react or change or acts negatively towards this, then you did what you could. He chose to continue being a douche. He gets to live with the results.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Just ignore the guy. No need to come to LG for that.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

Maybe the problem here is You NOT being Racist enough.

Ever think about that!!!??? HUUUHHH!!!!

lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

Ben Vereen wrote:

I'd never considered that to be honest.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Just ignore the guy. No need to come to LG for that.

is there something in this conversation that bothers you?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Ben Vereen wrote:

Hilarious.. thank you.. reminded me of a person saying

"It looks like you are addicted to smoking"

He says

"It looks like you are addicted to not smoking"

There is no sin a person has committed that makes them "all" bad

You don't have to waste your time or put yourself in harms way
But you could take a moment... I know you are not the broken fuse type
who will not be able to see him as "Unconscious" He is unconscious.. programmed through years of other peoples perspectives invading his own heart
The man is caustic to himself <<and>> others imho.. Yes others are responsible for their feelings but parents haven't trained generations of this.

No need to hate on him or even feel pity.. he is confused.. very..

Maybe you could help him see the destructiveness of his beliefs and how unkind they are.

I was hit today by my imagination today thinking about what Trump told those officers.. it really (bleep) hurts my throat to think someone like him has influence over our children and their parents believe in him...

^^Why did I bring that up.. silly Anthony Robbins story about Golf and just being a mm or two off
combined with
https://www.ted.com/talks/megan_phelps_roper_i_grew_up_in_the_westboro_baptist_church_here_s_why_i_left

I don't expect you to get him to date a black woman marry a cuban or go to a southern baptist church..

But you can help turn his perspective a different direction...

Bet he likes some melanin enhanced sports stars?

Most racists I have ever met have never spent much time with anyone from a race different than their own

I would let him know what you like about him and
ask him why he chooses to separate himself from others in a way
that degrades them

see if anything happens?

let him know he is free to have those views but they are not something you have any willingness to promote by proxy even and that will require you to part ways.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
were the jokes funny?

Nope

I'd ghost him tbqh

Effective method for when awkwardness reaches critical mass, since you're not going to confront.

I'm conjuring up Walt Kowalski here. Either that or pawn shop proprietor from Falling Down, which would be the worst case scenario. That could be explosive as in the movie. Josh, if you tell him he's mortifying, don't wait til he's drunk either way. It won't sink in. He'll think you have the problem.

Cotton Hill
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Just go back to the old place
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: