Kyrie Irving wants to be traded.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:

This is why nobody can say much about Dirk. HOF career, doesn't pout and was the leader that got his town the championship. He has the respect of the league, fans and will be forever be the King of Dallas. With just one ring. .

Dirk is a completely different case. Most of his career he's been an afterthought in the league. He was little known outside Dallas. He did no endorsements.

He won an MVP award, but Dallas never did anything. There was never this pressure of "Will Dirk ever win a ring?," because no one cared about Dirk.

Then Dallas won a surprise ring and people revaluated him and said, "Hey this guy we never gave any thought to is pretty good."

It's easy to like a bland guy, who doesn't seem to care about money, and is regarded as very good, but not so good he's ever going to be in the debate for GOAT list so people don't have to get worked up about how he compares with their real favorite.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

The team is build to LeBron's strengths just like Early 2000s Lakers was with Shaq. Kobe went 11-19 the year Shaq delayed his surgery, doesn't tell how good Or not good Kobe was

It was more complicated than that. With Shaq out, the Lakers went 3-9. He came back and they went 8-10.

This was when the Kobe-Shaq feud was really heating up, the team was in a mess, and everyone was criticizing everyone.

We lost in the second round in the playoff; reloaded with Malone and Payton, and then the whole thing fell apart.

There was so much going on in 02-03 that I don't see working as a simple analogy to a team being built around a particular player's strength.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
gr818 wrote:

This is why nobody can say much about Dirk. HOF career, doesn't pout and was the leader that got his town the championship. He has the respect of the league, fans and will be forever be the King of Dallas. With just one ring. .

Dirk is a completely different case. Most of his career he's been an afterthought in the league. He was little known outside Dallas. He did no endorsements.

He won an MVP award, but Dallas never did anything. There was never this pressure of "Will Dirk ever win a ring?," because no one cared about Dirk.

Then Dallas won a surprise ring and people revaluated him and said, "Hey this guy we never gave any thought to is pretty good."

It's easy to like a bland guy, who doesn't seem to care about money, and is regarded as very good, but not so good he's ever going to be in the debate for GOAT list so people don't have to get worked up about how he compares with their real favorite.

GOAT to be an alpha player? I've heard it all. I think you have no idea what alpha truly means.

This sounds personal considering the emotive adjectives used trying to discredit Dirk

Wow, some ppl really need this
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gr818 wrote:

GOAT to be an alpha player? I've heard it all. I think you have no idea what alpha truly means.

This sounds personal considering the emotive adjectives used trying to discredit Dirk

Your use of language is a little hard to decipher, starting with "GOAT to be an alpha player?" -- no idea what that is trying to say. Not sure if it's a typo or you left out some words.

I'm also not sure which of my adjectives were emotive for you. For me, Dirk is about as unemotional a topic as you can think of. He's one of the great PFs of all time, but he doesn't raise or lower my blood pressure one point.

And your end "Wow, some ppl really need this" that lost me too as far as what you were attempting to communicate. I am truly not trying to be catty or sarcastic, but is English your first language?
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
gr818 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gr818 wrote:

Your use of language is a little hard to decipher, starting with "GOAT to be an alpha player?" -- no idea what that is trying to say. Not sure if it's a typo or you left out some words.

I'm also not sure which of my adjectives were emotive for you. For me, Dirk is about as unemotional a topic as you can think of. He's one of the great PFs of all time, but he doesn't raise or lower my blood pressure one point.

And your end "Wow, some ppl really need this" that lost me too as far as what you were attempting to communicate. I am truly not trying to be catty or sarcastic, but is English your first language?

This is a Kyrie Irving thread and Dirk was used as an example of a leader that won only one ring, but is considered alpha because he didn't back down from a challenge. But because of your myopic view concerning LeBron, you jumped into GOAT debate when that is not what was discussed.

Do you have a bachelor's degree at least? I say bachelor's because I realize our public school system overall sucks. We have created careers here to decipher and translate since the average American reads and writes at a 6-8th grade. Editors and writers are told to do their work at that level so people can understand. Even at fortune 500s...to engineers for no less!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/30/is-stephen-curry-mocking-lebron-james-as-kyrie-irving-laughs-along-video/

Quote:

Is Stephen Curry mocking LeBron James as Kyrie Irving laughs along? (video)
Remember when Draymond Green and LeBron James were going back and forth during the Warriors’ championship parade? Green mocked LeBron’s bald head in this video (merely amplifying LeBron, who posted the video and noted his lack of hair):

Flash forward to this weekend. Stephen Curry and Kyrie Irving were at Harrison Barnes‘ wedding when the same song LeBron danced along to – Tee Grizzley’s “First Day Out” – came on. Instagram user ryanonlyryan posted (then deleted) this video:

You will never convince anyone Curry wasn’t mimicking LeBron. It’s pretty fitting of the Cavaliers-Warriors rivalry.

And then there’s Irving laughing along. Maybe – maybe – he didn’t realize the context in the moment. But you’ll have a tough time convincing anyone of that, given Irving recently posted a video of himself singing Skylar Grey’s “Coming Home,” the song widely associated with LeBron’s 2014 return to Cleveland:

Irving’s trade request obviously spoke loudest. But it also looks like – emphasis on “looks like” – Irving is stepping out, openly sending hints about his feelings toward LeBron. No matter Irving’s intent, LeBron is left as the perceived butt of the joke.

Is LeBron sure he doesn’t want to fight Irving?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:

This is a Kyrie Irving thread and Dirk was used as an example of a leader that won only one ring, but is considered alpha because he didn't back down from a challenge. s!

Again, I don't know what you're trying to say and I don't know what this whole "alpha" thing of yours is, but thats ok.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/30/is-stephen-curry-mocking-lebron-james-as-kyrie-irving-laughs-along-video/

Quote:

Remember when Draymond Green and LeBron James were going back and forth during the Warriors’ championship parade? Green mocked LeBron’s bald head in this video (merely amplifying LeBron, who posted the video and noted his lack of hair):

Flash forward to this weekend. Stephen Curry and Kyrie Irving were at Harrison Barnes‘ wedding when the same song LeBron danced along to – Tee Grizzley’s “First Day Out” – came on. Instagram user ryanonlyryan posted (then deleted) this video:

You will never convince anyone Curry wasn’t mimicking LeBron. It’s pretty fitting of the Cavaliers-Warriors rivalry.

And then there’s Irving laughing along. Maybe – maybe – he didn’t realize the context in the moment. But you’ll have a tough time convincing anyone of that, given Irving recently posted a video of himself singing Skylar Grey’s “Coming Home,” the song widely associated with LeBron’s 2014 return to Cleveland:

Irving’s trade request obviously spoke loudest. But it also looks like – emphasis on “looks like” – Irving is stepping out, openly sending hints about his feelings toward LeBron. No matter Irving’s intent, LeBron is left as the perceived butt of the joke.

This is getting more and more like Shaq-Kobe break up

Only time will tell if Uncle Drew has what it takes
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I don't really feel sorry for Lebron. He created this situation. He was an opportunist who switched teams so he can up his ring count. So its not a surprise that him and Kyrie aren't really as tight as we thought they were.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Shaq-Kobe went beyond basketball to a personal level. Kyrie unfollowing Lebron on social media? I guess that's what passes for a beef with these millennials.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

This is getting more and more like Shaq-Kobe break up

Only time will tell if Uncle Drew has what it takes

Except the young guy is most likely leaving the team.

Regardless I hope we don't hear LeBron(or Kyrie) rap
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gr818 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gr818 wrote:

This is a Kyrie Irving thread and Dirk was used as an example of a leader that won only one ring, but is considered alpha because he didn't back down from a challenge. But because of your myopic view concerning LeBron, you jumped into GOAT debate when that is not what was discussed.

Do you have a bachelor's degree at least? I say bachelor's because I realize our public school system overall sucks. We have created careers here to decipher and translate since the average American reads and writes at a 6-8th grade. Editors and writers are told to do their work at that level so people can understand. Even at fortune 500s...to engineers for no less!

I don't think it was about not backing down from a challenge for Dirk. I think he loved Dallas and Cuban, and didn't want to leave there. But it's not exactly like he ever had the pressure of "having" to win a title either. On top of that, most of his Dallas teams had quality support.

But props to him for winning a title without a crazy amount of help. I think he is another clear example of why you want a lot of help if winning multiple rings is your goal. It doesn't happen any other way.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

That is weak as (bleep) by Kyrie. Shaq wasn't out there laughing along with the Pistons about Kobe after the Pistons just took a championship from him.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

That is weak as (bleep) by Kyrie. Shaq wasn't out there laughing along with the Pistons about Kobe after the Pistons just took a championship from him.

No he just made a rap song about asking Kobe how his ass tastes a few years later.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
eureca wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

No he just made a rap song about asking Kobe how his ass tastes a few years later.

Obviously I know that feud was a lot bigger than this one. My point was it is weak to be laughing with the guy that just beat you in finals while he makes fun of the guy that was battling with you. Nothing to do with Lebron/Curry as they have their own fued going on, but it makes Kyrie look bad imo.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Well Kyrie wasn't really there just to hang out with Steph he was a groomsman at Harrison Barnes Wedding.

If anything Barnes and his bride should be mad at Steph for upstaging their wedding.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
gr818 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gr818 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gr818 wrote:

I don't think it was about not backing down from a challenge for Dirk. I think he loved Dallas and Cuban, and didn't want to leave there. But it's not exactly like he ever had the pressure of "having" to win a title either. On top of that, most of his Dallas teams had quality support.

But props to him for winning a title without a crazy amount of help. I think he is another clear example of why you want a lot of help if winning multiple rings is your goal. It doesn't happen any other way.

There is always pressure for a championship of a superstar. Maybe not as big of a microscope in Dallas, but people are scared to end up like Barkley. It is a challenge to do it without manufacturing a super team.

The easier road is to create a super team and up your chances. He didn't do that and truly led his team to a championship. He's a champ.

But I don't think Barkley has anything to be ashamed of. He started off like a Randle type player and ended up a leader with the ball in his hands in every clutch moment. He brought up the ball, took big shots, injured and all. Played phenomenal, but he just ran into the Bulls and then the Rockets.

You don't need to win multiple rings to be alpha or a winner. Most are not fortunate enough to win even one. True leaders are too busy with responsibilities to be worrying about numbers. Only when you're young or a bench player mentality you tend to worry about numbers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

Dirk is a weird scenario. He was on a lot of great teams that flamed out in the playoffs. He had a reputation for being soft (like Garnett and Malone). But, he (in my opinion) luckily won a ring because the Heat play badly, and Lebron choked. And that completely changed Dirk's reputation.

I am sure every NBA star on some level feels some pressure to win a ring. But Dirk was low enough on the totem pole that if he hadn't won a ring, we wouldn't be questioning why, as we do with better player like Malone and Barkley.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Dirk is a weird scenario. He was on a lot of great teams that flamed out in the playoffs. He had a reputation for being soft (like Garnett and Malone). But, he (in my opinion) luckily won a ring because the Heat play badly, and Lebron choked. And that completely changed Dirk's reputation.

I am sure every NBA star on some level feels some pressure to win a ring. But Dirk was low enough on the totem pole that if he hadn't won a ring, we wouldn't be questioning why, as we do with better player like Malone and Barkley.

Helped that his team lucked out with a lot of fluke 3 point shooting in the semis.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
jodeke wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
Sounds similar to the days of Shaq-Kobe feud, I remember people downplaying Kobe's contributions. 'Volume shooters', 'Shaq can do it with any other wings', 'what's the W-L record of Kobe without Shaq and vice versa'. Irving undoubtedly not in same level as LBJ, Shaq or Kobe but he drop 27ppg with title clinching shot in '16 finals and drop 29ppg in '17 finals... uncle drew is legit good

No disputing he's great in the Finals. It's just that he coasts off of Lebron during the regular season. He's not good enough to be the guy who leads a team into the playoffs as a 1st option.

Sounds just like Kobe's criticism back in the day doesn't it?

Exactly like it. The disrespect he's receiving right now is exactly why he wants out. You simply don't get credit when playing next to LeBron. After all he's done for that team...he apparently wouldn't even be able to lead his own team to the playoffs. I mean, come on.

LeBron had two ships before he went back to Cleveland. How far did Kyrie take them before he came back?

Kyrie was only coming off his 3rd season. You expect 3rd year players to lead their teams to the playoffs with a rookie Dion Waiters as the second best player?

What was Steph Curry doing in his 3rd season?

Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Jordan, Bird, to name a few.

Steph did same as Kyrie, didn't make playoffs.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Helped that his team lucked out with a lot of fluke 3 point shooting in the semis.

I'm baffled why Dirk came up in this discussion, and don't see how he in any way relates to what's going on with Kyrie, but oh well ... the randomness of a LG thread.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
rwongega wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

I'm baffled why Dirk came up in this discussion, and don't see how he in any way relates to what's going on with Kyrie, but oh well ... the randomness of a LG thread.

LOL, so true!!
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:

There is always pressure for a championship of a superstar. Maybe not as big of a microscope in Dallas, but people are scared to end up like Barkley. It is a challenge to do it without manufacturing a super team.

Exactly on the bolded, which is why comparing Dirk doesn't make much sense.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject:

I hope that Phoenix caves in and sends Bledsoe & Josh Jackson to CLE. That will mold Phoenix into the next Portland - great offensive backcourt that can't defend and will never achieve anything noteworthy other than providing some highlight clips.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
gr818 wrote:

Exactly on the bolded, which is why comparing Dirk doesn't make much sense.

Cleveland was not under the same microscope either until the creation of the superteam. But still, LeBron felt the pressure of winning a ring and dipped out. It got too tough for him, so he manufactured his dream into a reality. If someone like that is considered an "alpha", so is Kyrie and Dirk
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11
Jump to: