OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I can see Randle and Kuz playing together. I can see Randle handing the ball off while setting a screen so that Kuz gets an open 3 (Like he did with Young and Russel) If Kuz shoots at a great clip, i expect Randle to grt some triple doubles off him.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

E_Wulf420 wrote:
I can see Randle and Kuz playing together. I can see Randle handing the ball off while setting a screen so that Kuz gets an open 3 (Like he did with Young and Russel) If Kuz shoots at a great clip, i expect Randle to grt some triple doubles off him.
yep, I think a Kuzma/Randle frontcourt will work a lot better than the Nance/Randle frontcourt, since small ball is useless if you have no shooters in the frontcourt. Kuzma's shooting could be a true game changer in small ball lineups. Kuzma/Nance will also be a great pairing. In fact, Kuzma/Nance will probably be our 2nd unit frontcourt if Zubac doesn't show better mobility than he did in SL.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

E_Wulf420 wrote:

I definitely want to see Kuzma get serious minutes this year. Let's see what he can do. Barring a trade, I doubt if he'll start, but if he can get minutes at both the three and four, and Nance and Randle can get minutes at the five, hopefully he will play a lot.

Last edited by markjay on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Aside from his 3pt shot, the most important element he's shown to me is his ability to switch on D and guard 3s consistently. In the NBA, you are the position you can guard. Like Ingram, he looks to have the defensive versatility to play all over the floor, both at the 3 and 4 (and even at the C spot if he gets a little more strength). That's a big deal.. especially because it means he might be able to get a lot of playing time as early as next season at the 3 despite our glut at the 4.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

C Kuzma
PF Nance
SF Hart
SG Clarkson
PG Ennis

That's a decent second unit.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Kuz was at the drew league today. Don't think he was playing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
lakerfan2012 wrote:
Don't know if this comparison has been made yet but but with his play style and skill set I think he can be Trevor Ariza.

I've mentioned it before but if you are looking for Laker comparisons the closest might be a taller Ariza or Horry...maybe some combo of those two. Obviously, not a perfect comparison, but there are some similarities in what they can and can't do.

I like that mixed comp

The thing that I love about his shot that I'm sure that you appreciate (and makes him a little different than Horry/Ariza) is that he gets it up so damn quickly. That's gonna help a lot with volume. He doesn't need much space to be "open".

Yup, Horry needed such a deliberate 1,2 step. Kuzma's setup and square up , so efficient - deceives the defender with the square up in particular
I'm going to find who squares up similarly. It's also awesome seeing a PF be able to hop like 5 feet to his side and get into his shot no problem. Can't find a young PF with more upside shooting

I know he said that NBA 3's are more comfortable, but I still can't make sense of his college percentages.

Do you think Lonzo's passing made that much of a difference?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Aside from his 3pt shot, the most important element he's shown to me is his ability to switch on D and guard 3s consistently. In the NBA, you are the position you can guard. Like Ingram, he looks to have the defensive versatility to play all over the floor, both at the 3 and 4 (and even at the C spot if he gets a little more strength). That's a big deal.. especially because it means he might be able to get a lot of playing time as early as next season at the 3 despite our glut at the 4.

He is the prototype modern player. Can shoot, defend multiple positions, attack the basket ...

I think we are ready for a huge turnaround
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
C Kuzma
PF Nance
SF Hart
SG Clarkson
PG Ennis

That's a decent second unit.

Nance would be the C. Kuz is not that strong.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
He is the prototype modern player. Can shoot, defend multiple positions, attack the basket ...

I think we are ready for a huge turnaround

I don't know about that yet, especially as to the bolded. He has played against D league, college and, at best, inexperienced NBA talent. Can't really judge how he's going to play off the D league - you just hope it translates and I'm in wait/see mode.

All that being said, my gut says that, at the very least, he's going to be a 3 and D rotation player. That would make him a Robert Horry or James Posey type. Still, that assumes his defense and mobility on the defensive end. Now, where it really gets exciting, is that he has shown a nice handle for his size and most impressive of all is his court vision. Really enjoy his passing ability.

Until the last game in the summer league, you didn't really see him creating his own shot. That's where the questions about how well he would play without Ball came from - an issue he had his last season in college where he didn't really have anyone making plays for him (which is partly why, from what I understand, he didn't look as great). In his last summer league game, we were able to watch him create his own shot. That was super promising. Can he continue that into the preseason and regular season? I don't know. The competition will be at another level. However, if he can, that would be amazing and I don't blame anyone for being optimistic he will.

While I think Randle is about to have a breakout season and may very well remain a Laker, its great that we have Kuzma who may prove himself to be a great safety blanket if in fact Randle ever has to go.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Do y'all think we could get this lineup this year?

Ball
Ingram
Kuzma
Nance
Randle

Maybe trade out Ingram for KC/Clarkson/Ennis.

Sure depends on Kuzma's NBA translation, and if Nance/Randle can actually shoot a bit.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
lakerfan2012 wrote:
Don't know if this comparison has been made yet but but with his play style and skill set I think he can be Trevor Ariza.

I've mentioned it before but if you are looking for Laker comparisons the closest might be a taller Ariza or Horry...maybe some combo of those two. Obviously, not a perfect comparison, but there are some similarities in what they can and can't do.

I like that mixed comp

The thing that I love about his shot that I'm sure that you appreciate (and makes him a little different than Horry/Ariza) is that he gets it up so damn quickly. That's gonna help a lot with volume. He doesn't need much space to be "open".

Yup, Horry needed such a deliberate 1,2 step. Kuzma's setup and square up , so efficient - deceives the defender with the square up in particular
I'm going to find who squares up similarly. It's also awesome seeing a PF be able to hop like 5 feet to his side and get into his shot no problem. Can't find a young PF with more upside shooting

I know he said that NBA 3's are more comfortable, but I still can't make sense of his college percentages.

Do you think Lonzo's passing made that much of a difference?

no, he was not even playing in the Championship game
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma can help both not run Ingram too hard at 35MPG and also can spell Lopez some.

I could see this lineup doing some damage while Lopez and Ingram are on the bench.

Lonzo Ball
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Julius Randle
Larry Nance Jr.

That team lineup could get up and down the court very well while Ingram and Lopez are on the bench.

You could then rest Lonzo, Randle and KCP and run it

Tyler Ennis
Jordan Clarkson
Corey Brewer / Luol Deng
Kyle Kuzma
Larry Nance Jr.

And when Zubac gets minutes

Tyler Ennis
Jordan Clarkson
Kyle Kuzma
Larry Nance Jr.
Ivica Zubac

We got options.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I really hope his 3 point shooting continues. I expect a fall off considering it was a ridiculous 48 percent or something.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
I really hope his 3 point shooting continues. I expect a fall off considering it was a ridiculous 48 percent or something.

35-38% seems reasonable.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Six rookies most likely to outshine their NBA draft pick:

[url=http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20237226/six-rookies-most-likely-outshine-their-nba-draft-pick-2017-18-season][/url]

Quote:
Upside: Kuzma is a skilled modern 4 who can push in transition, make a spot-up 3, attack off the dribble and make plays on the move...

...Kuzma is in a perfect situation to thrive as the Lakers have no stretch-4 on the roster and want to push in transition and move the ball quickly.

Lonzo Ball loves to give it up early in transition, and Kuzma's ability to push in the open floor will play really well next to the UCLA product. While the Lakers aren't short on big bodies with Julius Randle, Larry Nance, Brook Lopez and Ivica Zubac, Kuzma brings a different skill set and can play alongside any of those bigs fairly comfortably.

...Kuzma fits the versatile style of play Luke Walton wants. Ball needs a spaced floor to be at his best, and Kuzma helps fills that void.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma is going exceed expectations again once the regular season starts.

His shooting, BQIQ, and athleticism will allow him to be the best true stretch 4 on this team.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject:

The Los Angeles Lakers look like they could have a steal on their hands in power forward, Kyle Kuzma.

Quote:
The fluid 6-9 forward still has to earn his minutes, but a lineup of Ball, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Brandon Ingram, Kuzma and Lopez has at least the threat of shooting at every position and several guys who can handle and facilitate.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2017/08/05/los-angeles-lakers-kyle-kumza-will-outperform-draft-position/
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
The Los Angeles Lakers look like they could have a steal on their hands in power forward, Kyle Kuzma.

Quote:
The fluid 6-9 forward still has to earn his minutes, but a lineup of Ball, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Brandon Ingram, Kuzma and Lopez has at least the threat of shooting at every position and several guys who can handle and facilitate.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2017/08/05/los-angeles-lakers-kyle-kumza-will-outperform-draft-position/

Another quote from that article:
Quote:
In order to clear the cap space required to sign two superstars next summer, the Lakers’ front office will have to move Deng, Clarkson, or Randle in some combination. Clarkson and Randle were both mired in trade rumors this offseason and the arrivals of Josh Hart and Kyle Kuzma make their departure seem all but inevitable.

--Anonymous
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:

There is no question that we got the best player of this deal sending away the worst player that had a terrible contract. That would be funny if in a couple of seasons we find out in Kuzma we got also the second best player of this deal.

We can never expect so much from a player that still has to play his first NBA game, but if it is not for Ball huge summer league we could be talking about how Kuzma had the best summer league of any Lakers rookie since Kobe Bryant and it is not like 22 years old is a lot.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

There is no question that we got the best player of this deal
sending away the worst player that had a terrible contract. That would be funny if in a couple of seasons we find out in Kuzma we got also the second best player of this deal.

We can never expect so much from a player that still has to play his first NBA game, but if it is not for Ball huge summer league we could be talking about how Kuzma had the best summer league of any Lakers rookie since Kobe Bryant and it is not like 22 years old is a lot.

I, and many others, disagree heavily with that statement which means there's definitely question about that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

There is no question that we got the best player of this deal sending away the worst player that had a terrible contract. That would be funny if in a couple of seasons we find out in Kuzma we got also the second best player of this deal.

You do understand that the Lakers had the 28th pick and would likely have selected Kuz? I don't think he should be that big of a factor in evaluating the trade.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

You do understand that the Lakers had the 28th pick and would likely have selected Kuz? I don't think he should be that big of a factor in evaluating the trade.

But he was part of the trade. That's the truth of it. If Hart or Bryant turn out to be absolute studs do we flip back to saying Kuz was in the Russell deal? You never know how things would have turned out. Another deal for 28 could have come along.

Best to look at things as there were.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

A more fair argument is the Nets pick allowed us to draft hart and Bryant. I think Kuz was already the pick.
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

But he was part of the trade. That's the truth of it. If Hart or Bryant turn out to be absolute studs do we flip back to saying Kuz was in the Russell deal? You never know how things would have turned out. Another deal for 28 could have come along.

Best to look at things as there were.

The Lakers might have been able to buy the Bull's 39th pick that the Warriors were able to snag for just a few million in cash. Ultimately, I think Josh Hart is the only real factor in determining if the trade was worth it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 71 of 880
Jump to: