LA to host 2028 Olympics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: LA to host 2028 Olympics

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/20192092/los-angeles-agrees-host-2028-summer-olympics-paris-serve-2024-site
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

Booooooooo
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

I was hoping for 2024.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Booooooooo

I was saying Boooo-urns.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Have fun with traffic, folks. Make a pretty penny renting out your place to visitors.

Is it too early to start planning month-long vacations for 2028?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Have fun with traffic, folks. Make a pretty penny renting out your place to visitors.

I will be doing my very best to be gone for this.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Booooooooo

I was saying Boooo-urns.

I was saying Luuuuuuuuuuke.
lalakers91
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Olympics are coming to LA in 2028 times to start saving up to get tickets!!
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Don't even want to imagine what the traffic congestion will look like in 11 years.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

My place is within a 10 minute walk of Honda Center in Anaheim, where they will supposedly have some events, and I wonder if they will use Angel Stadium in some way, too. Might have to check with the better half and see if we should rent out our place!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like LA has a plan to keep the costs under control. Still, I dont know why anyone would want to host the Olympics.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

We can make money via AirBNB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It sounds like LA has a plan to keep the costs under control. Still, I dont know why anyone would want to host the Olympics.

Most of the money will be for security. I think they are constructing a temporary pool at the USC baseball field as well as temporary stands for volleyball at the beach.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Yay. I live close enough to be able to enjoy the games but far enough that I won't have to deal with the logistical headaches.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I think it should be a global event, hosted by a number of cities on different continents using existing venues. Swimming in Sydney, gymnastics in New York, track and field in Rome, basketball in Buenos Aires, etc. Who wouldn't want to see that?
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Don't even want to imagine what the traffic congestion will look like in 11 years.

I can imagine it. I can tell you it will be pretty good since we will have self-driving hover cars made by Google and Tesla
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I think it should be a global event, hosted by a number of cities on different continents using existing venues. Swimming in Sydney, gymnastics in New York, track and field in Rome, basketball in Buenos Aires, etc. Who wouldn't want to see that?

I kinda think the Olympics built a culture that not only unites countries, but also unites athletes from across different sports. The athletes want to hang out together and share their pride amongst each other as well. Not to mention spectators wanting to view multiple different sports without having to travel very far. Interesting idea but it wouldn't really feel like the Olympics
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I kinda think the Olympics built a culture that not only unites countries, but also unites athletes from across different sports. The athletes want to hang out together and share their pride amongst each other as well. Not to mention spectators wanting to view multiple different sports without having to travel very far. Interesting idea but it wouldn't really feel like the Olympics

It is about having the world come together to celebrate, to compete, to watch each other. Would also make scheduling difficult, having to plan things according to so many time zones. And the opening and closing ceremonies would be lackluster without the introduction of athletes.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Gellollo wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It is about having the world come together to celebrate, to compete, to watch each other. Would also make scheduling difficult, having to plan things according to so many time zones. And the opening and closing ceremonies would be lackluster without the introduction of athletes.

Oh I know, but my post was a response to AH's post regarding the increasing absurdity of hosting Olympic games in terms of the financial burden, the chaos, and the inevitable abandoning of many venues.

Things change, and maybe the Olympics should change, too. Just my 2 cents. I don't think any of the things you mention would be problematic. Scheduling would correspond to the local community, as they do now. You could still have an opening ceremony and athletes would then disperse.

I know this is not likely to happen.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
encina1 wrote:
Gellollo wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Oh I know, but my post was a response to AH's post regarding the increasing absurdity of hosting Olympic games in terms of the financial burden, the chaos, and the inevitable abandoning of many venues.

Things change, and maybe the Olympics should change, too. Just my 2 cents. I don't think any of the things you mention would be problematic. Scheduling would correspond to the local community, as they do now. You could still have an opening ceremony and athletes would then disperse.

I know this is not likely to happen.

It's been mentioned and discussed. Actually, the same conversation was held after last year's Olympics. Maybe right here on LG.

They say hosting an Olympic game is a huge financial burden on the community, and often the new fancy buildings go unused and empty after an event, so why would anyone want to host one at all? Maybe onset costs are high, but then the rewards of housing costs, and food, and services, and....and then the taxes based off those offset everything? I have no clue. But there must be an appeal to doing so.

On one hand it makes sense, to alleviate the costs on the one city. But for practical reasons it just does not.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

traffic is already crap around some of these supposed venues. it can't get worse than worse. lol. its so much construction going on in L.A. county, every where you turn its turning a 2 lane street into 1 lane.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
encina1 wrote:

traffic is already crap around some of these supposed venues. it can't get worse than worse. lol. its so much construction going on in L.A. county, every where you turn its turning a 2 lane street into 1 lane.

No kidding. Metro's purple line is a 10 year project that should be completed before the Games. It will go from downtown to the west side. The construction has pretty much destroyed traffic on Wilshire blvd. It's just horrible. Plus all over L.A. they've been tearing out sidewalks and redoing them around schools while they're out for the summer. I don't remember ever seeing this much construction in the county as this summer. It's crazy.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
encina1 wrote:

No kidding. Metro's purple line is a 10 year project that should be completed before the Games. It will go from downtown to the west side. The construction has pretty much destroyed traffic on Wilshire blvd. It's just horrible. Plus all over L.A. they've been tearing out sidewalks and redoing them around schools while they're out for the summer. I don't remember ever seeing this much construction in the county as this summer. It's crazy.

From my college days 7-8 years ago Wilshire was already a nightmare. How could it possibly get even worse?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

hard to get too excited about this, when most of the USA Team participants for the 2028 Olympics are in grade school right now...

wake in in 10 years...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
hard to get too excited about this, when most of the USA Team participants for the 2028 Olympics are in grade school right now...

wake in in 10 years...
agreed
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: