2017-2018 Lakers lineup Rotation and Minutes Breakdown
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: 2017-2018 Lakers lineup Rotation and Minutes Breakdown

Now that we have our roster pretty much set for the following season, what do you think the minutes distribution and rotation should look like at the beginning of the regular season? Factor in wins, trade value and development.

Ball (33)/Clarkson (15)
KCP(32)/Clarkson (10)/Hart(6)
Ingram (34)/Deng (10)/Kuz(4)
Randle (20)/Nance (20)/Kuz(8)
Brook(28)/Randle(10)/Nance (5)/Zu(5)
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

How about this? Deng: 0.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017-2018 Lakers lineup Rotation and Minutes Breakdown

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Now that we have our roster pretty much set for the following season, what do you think the minutes distribution and rotation should look like at the beginning of the regular season? Factor in wins, trade value and development.

Ball (33)/Clarkson (15)

Last season, Ennis shot almost 39% from the 3 pt line while Clarkson shot almost 33% (see https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los-Angeles-Lakers/13/Stats). Ennis' defense was probably better too. I am betting that Ennis steals some significant minutes from Clarkson as the backup pg.

--Anonymous
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

How about this: Not seeing his name on the team.

NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

If he was an expiring or we were playing for a championship I would agree. Reality is we need to trade him and there's a slight chance he can play his value from rock bottom to a respectable player.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017-2018 Lakers lineup Rotation and Minutes Breakdown

Annihilator wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

Ball (33)/Clarkson (15)

Last season, Ennis shot almost 39% from the 3 pt line while Clarkson shot almost 33% (see https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los-Angeles-Lakers/13/Stats). Ennis' defense was probably better too. I am betting that Ennis steals some significant minutes from Clarkson as the backup pg.

Not probably. According to DRPM, only D.J. Augustin and Isaiah Thomas were worse defensive players than JC last season.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017-2018 Lakers lineup Rotation and Minutes Breakdown

greenfrog wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

Ball (33)/Clarkson (15)

Not probably. According to DRPM, only D.J. Augustin and Isaiah Thomas were worse defensive players than JC last season.

Not a big fan of JC but I am a big fan of trading him. I feel he needs to have some good sixth man numbers to build his trade value and possibly get a weak asset in return.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017-2018 Lakers lineup Rotation and Minutes Breakdown

NBALakerLegends wrote:

Ball (33)/Clarkson (15)

I'd say that's pretty accurate but I think people should expect Deng to get mins early on.. as good as Kuz was/is, trading Deng vs stretching Deng is a ginormous difference and could be the difference in keeping Julius or not. Let Deng gets mins running with Lonzo and get his value up a bit (if possible). If he's still looking a trash, then bench him, give all his mins to Kuz and stretch him in the summer.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017-2018 Lakers lineup Rotation and Minutes Breakdown

Annihilator wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

Ball (33)/Clarkson (15)

I saw that statistic at the ESPN real plus minus site (see http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/1) but I was trying to be nice. Clarkson is a Laker.

I saw it mentioned in an article, but didn't check the numbers. Yeah, it's "point guard" specific. Overall, he's the 5th worst defensive player in the league. Way to go, JC.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Deng: inactive
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Ball (30)/Clarkson (12)/Ennis (6)
KCP (32)/Clarkson (16)/Hart (0)
Ingram (32)/Kuzma (12)/Deng (4)
Randle (28)/Nance (10)/Deng (10)
Lopez (28)/Zubac (10)/Nance (10)

Last edited by HAWAIIGUY27 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Deng at the 4 spot would not be that bad. He was playing out of position all of last year
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Ball (28) / Clarkson (15) / Ennis (5)
Pope (32) / Clarkson (12) / Brewer (4)
Ingram (30) / Deng (10) / Brewer (8)
Randle (18) / Nance (20) / Deng (10)
Lopez (30) / Randle (10) / Zubac (8)

I don't foresee Kuzma being played much, if at all, until later on in the season, when everyone will know whether Deng is more than a sack of potatoes on the court.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Deng with minutes come on. I am sure that KCP can play some 3 spot. JC can take more minutes at the 2. Ennis have to be our backup PG. Deng is just done as a player.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Deng with minutes come on. I am sure that KCP can play some 3 spot. JC can take more minutes at the 2. Ennis have to be our backup PG. Deng is just done as a player.

We can get a good look at him at the Africa game this saturday as he is a Captain. He should play a good amount of minutes. 20 minutes in a game can tell us a lot about a player. It's also against all-stars and above average players so it's a good measuring stick to where Deng is with his body and skill level.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:

I'm really hopeful that both KCP & Kuzma fill that backup 3 role. They both could bring something unique at that position at times. KCP would create a speedy lineup, Kuzma would bring a serious size mismatch, and with his unique skills, could make us a real dynamic team because if he proves to be able to guard 3's, they're going to find him a nightmare on offense.
TylersLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

PG: Lonzo Ball [32]/ Clarkson [16]/
SG: KCP [32]/ Clarkson [8]/ Brewer [8]
SF: Ingram [36]/ Kuzma [12]/
PF: Randle [12]/ Nance [24]/ Deng [12]/
C: Lopez [26]/ Randle [22]/
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
Deng at the 4 spot would not be that bad. He was playing out of position all of last year

His only position as of today should be on the bench. Deng is not a good NBA player, he is a stretch 4 that cannot shoot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Ball (30)/Ennis (11)/Clarkson (7)
KCP(31)/Clarkson (13)/Hart(4)
Ingram (32)/Brewer (12)/Kuz/Deng (4)
Randle (22)/Nance (21)/Kuz(5)
Brook(28)/Randle(8)/Nance (5)/Zu(5)

Man, going through this exercise, noticed a few things:

1. if Deng plays, he will have to compete with Brewer IMO for SF minutes. I don't think there are many PF minutes available.

2. Hart is going to be hard pressed to get consistent minutes unless JC is traded or plays primarily at PG. I think Ennis will get the most backup PG minutes and if so, JC will play the majority of SG backup minutes.

We have a lot of forwards so i wouldn't be surprised to see a trade.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

I have in total:

Ingram (32)
KCP (31)
Ball (30)
Randle (30)
Brook (28)
Nance (26)
JC (20)
Brewer (12)
Kuz (9)
Zub (5).

Man, don't know how Zub is going to get many minutes unless Lopez is hurt.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

So JC goes from leading the team in minutes per game (Luke ) down to 20? I dunno, that seems drastic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
So JC goes from leading the team in minutes per game (Luke ) down to 20? I dunno, that seems drastic.

Whose minutes are being taken away? Maybe Ennis. But i get the sense that he will get 11-12 mpg to back up the PG spot.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Whose minutes are being taken away? Maybe Ennis. But i get the sense that he will get 11-12 mpg to back up the PG spot.

Brewer. The can use three guard lineups with Zo at the 3.

And if Kuz is only playing 9 minutes it's time to get Tom Izzo on the phone.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Brewer. The can use three guard lineups with Zo at the 3.

And if Kuz is only playing 9 minutes it's time to get Tom Izzo on the phone.

I know the designations at the "positions" are relics of the past, but when you break it down person by person, you start to see we may have a very crunched up SG position. If Luke wants JC to be the primary backup PG, then that will subsume a lot of Ennis's minutes, but i'm not sure that's what Luke wants.

So what's your minutes allocation?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017-2018 Lakers lineup Rotation and Minutes Breakdown

greenfrog wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

Ball (33)/Clarkson (15)

While I agree that his defense is bad, it is clearly a team matter when we think about our entire roster production.

JC - 76th out of 78 PG (listed as PG)
---
Lou - 71th out of 93 SG
Young - 69th out of 93 SG
Randle - 76th out of 81 PF
Zubac - 55th out of 62 C

I couldn't find Ingram, but the DRPM advanced stat is telling Nance and Deng were the only good defenders we had last season.

None of the above were at least average, they were flat out atrocious defenders.

One interesting thing is that this stat is telling KCP is an average defender at best while the eye test and his defensive highlights are eye catching.

I still have to spend some time to understand how DRPM is made, but it was clearly not an individual JC problem to single him out.

Last edited by nash on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: