How Lakers Can Sign Two Max-Contract Superstars in 2018 NBA Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

Are the Lakers gonna keep the BA exception in case someone becomes available during the season? I feel like we can use another veteran presence on the team,
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

the Lakers have their roster - they may sign more camp invites but this is it:

PG: Ball, Ennis
SG: KCP, Clarkson, Hart, Blue (non-g), Caruso (two-way)
SF: Ingram, Deng, Brewer
PF: Randle, Nance, Kuzma
C: Lopez, Zubac, Bryant

with players like Clarkson, Ingram and Caruso able to play point

Randle and Nance will play center minutes - if Kuzma can play SF, perhaps some time - Deng some 4 - Ingram some 4, etc.

There aren't any minutes for the guys on the roster - there's no room for another player, thus no Ian Clark
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Randle and Nance will play center minutes - if Kuzma can play SF, perhaps some time - Deng some 4 - Ingram some 4, etc.

There aren't any minutes for the guys on the roster - there's no room for another player, thus no Ian Clark

That's reasonable. perhaps if we end up making a trade with a player going out a opportunity might open up for LA via FA.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

I wonder how long it's gonna take for LA to find a deal for Clarkson and Deng this thing might drag out until next summer....
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

Once teams lock in their rosters trades become rare - there's maybe 1-2 trades left leaguewide before the season

then teams make a small deal or two but usually wait til recently signed free agents can be dealt after 12/15/17

going to be awhile
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Once teams lock in their rosters trades become rare - there's maybe 1-2 trades left leaguewide before the season

then teams make a small deal or two but usually wait til recently signed free agents can be dealt after 12/15/17

going to be awhile

I was assuming the Lakers were trying to gather scenarios of creating cap space for max offers, I guess we are stuck with Deng and Clarkson until the TD or next summer
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Most realistic is right after 2018 draft, we could package Deng with 2019 draft pick and 2021 draft pick.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Nice analysis! Thanks, Eric for breaking it down!

I'd like to see your next analysis about who the Lakers should go after?

The four targets you note are Cousins, Westbrook, George, and LeBron. Durant gets an honourable mention.

To me, Cousins is not so much better than Lopez and if Ball lives up to hype, Westbrook may not be such a good fit next to our supposed future franchise player.
George has been a fans favourite, and he might step nicely in a position which is not already filled with a potential future star. But is he really so much better than KCP?

That leaves LeBron and Durant, who are kind of no-brainers. Best players in the league now and every team should do what they can to get them. Then again, both are pipe dreams.

Thus, I am not at all convinced that going after two max players is the best strategy for the Lakers. I don't oppose to it, but I'd be careful not to be blinded to have it as a single path forward. It would be rather short-sighted to sign a max player just for the sake of having one.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Thanks for your always "On Point" insights

Does it appear that Deng will get enough minutes to salvage his career?

Will Lopez be the rim-protecter that the Lakers desperately need?

It will be fascinating to see Luke will try to hide JC and Randle on defense, or will they surprise everybody and actually become at least average when not on offense.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Deng's not going to raise his value on the court

I wonder if the Lakers can sell Lopez on taking the Room Exception on a 1+1 - then re-sign the next year via Bird.

You can argue Cousins is better but Lopez at $4.5 mil and then a heckuva lot more the next year when it doesn't really matter (Lakers already over the cap) - that's better than Cousins because now you have Lopez + 2 max instead of just 2 max w/Cousins and a general room ex player.

Also Cousins is kind of a mess.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I wonder if the Lakers can sell Lopez on taking the Room Exception on a 1+1 - then re-sign the next year via Bird.

This is what I've been advocating too, but with re: to trading for Wade (though he's an Early Bird guy so not as applicable). Same concept. I think it's plausible. In 2019 can compensate him.

The center market is chilled so maybe Brook would love settling out in LA.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

You can argue Cousins is better but Lopez at $4.5 mil and then a heckuva lot more the next year when it doesn't really matter (Lakers already over the cap) - that's better than Cousins because now you have Lopez + 2 max instead of just 2 max w/Cousins and a general room ex player.

I mentioned doing the same for KCP by offering a 1+2 deal a 1 year deal with a team option on a promise in 2019 to sign him long term, it still gives you the chance to bring in max players in 2018.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

doesn't work as well for KCP as early bird - most he can get is 175% in 2019 and he's never been "paid" like Lopez has
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

We can make KCP a RFA and match any offer he gets in 2019 unless it's some crazy contract them you let him walk.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
We can make KCP a RFA and match any offer he gets in 2019 unless it's some crazy contract them you let him walk.

My goodness. Please bother to learn the basics of the CBA before making a statement like that.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

My goodness. Please bother to learn the basics of the CBA before making a statement like that.

I don't need to be a genius at CBA but I know we can find a way to keep KCP if he really balls out this year.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
What are the chances LA dumps Deng by the TD?

That Pig will need a lot of lipstick. It will take probably trading Randle or Kuzma and a first rounder to get rid of Deng.

Jules is up for an extension. So a team trading for him will likely have to consider paying well over 30m+ to keep Deng/Jules in 2018. I don't think there's any team that will do that.

How about a two-stage approach to trading Deng:

1. Trade Randle and Deng to Brooklyn for Demarre Carolle (expires 2019) and Trevor Booker (expires 2018)

2. Trade Demarre along with 2020 1st round pick and protected 2nd round pick to Atlanta/Utah/Chicago
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Wow! Didn't know about that potential option. About how much could the Lakers offer Lopez the following year if he was willing take the room exception? Could they offer him the max ($30m/yr range) in 2019 if that was the case?

Last edited by Zubolo on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Dream scenario if we can keep Lopez for the room exception:

Lopez/Zubac/T Bryant
Lebron/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma/Brewer
PG13/Hart/Wade (min?)
Ball/Ennis

Can this team beat the Warriors? My main concern is team chemistry after only one year compared to the cohesion the Warriors would have after at least 3 years together but I wouldn't write off our chances. A lot would depend on how far along Ball and Ingram have progressed. Lopez could be the Xfactor.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Lakers can pay Lopez the max the next year, if he takes the room exception for 1 year

the most KCP can take in 2019 is 175% of his salary in 2018 - assuming he signs another 1-year (probably a 1+1 (PO) in case of injury)

I don't know that Lopez does that - but the center market has been a bit weak and DeAndre/Cousins will get fed ahead of Lopez

I don't think a rebuilding team gives him money and most of the teams who want to compete won't have cap - do the Mavs really roll out a max offer to Brook Lopez?

The idea would be $4 mil and say $20 mil the next year - if that - maybe even less like $15 mil - but I'm just speculating here
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Lakers can pay Lopez the max the next year, if he takes the room exception for 1 year

the most KCP can take in 2019 is 175% of his salary in 2018 - assuming he signs another 1-year (probably a 1+1 (PO) in case of injury)

I don't know that Lopez does that - but the center market has been a bit weak and DeAndre/Cousins will get fed ahead of Lopez

I don't think a rebuilding team gives him money and most of the teams who want to compete won't have cap - do the Mavs really roll out a max offer to Brook Lopez?

The idea would be $4 mil and say $20 mil the next year - if that - maybe even less like $15 mil - but I'm just speculating here

How cool would it be to keep Lopez and KCP and still get someone like LeBron i think that would hinge on Deng being moved
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

if you're keeping KCP you're losing Randle

whatever mechanisms the Lakers take to move Deng, and in theory Clarkson, is to open say $12 mil in space that they either use on Randle or KCP or Lopez or someone else

if that means Clarkson for a late first and then the Laker send say their 2018 after the draft with that first to dump Deng in July of 2018 - that's 2 firsts thrown away

just pointing it out - can potentially dump Clarkson and keep that pick and keep Deng - keep the theoretical pick or 1 of Randle/KCP/Lopez/other - in theory
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
if you're keeping KCP you're losing Randle

whatever mechanisms the Lakers take to move Deng, and in theory Clarkson, is to open say $12 mil in space that they either use on Randle or KCP or Lopez or someone else

if that means Clarkson for a late first and then the Laker send say their 2018 after the draft with that first to dump Deng in July of 2018 - that's 2 firsts thrown away

just pointing it out - can potentially dump Clarkson and keep that pick and keep Deng - keep the theoretical pick or 1 of Randle/KCP/Lopez/other - in theory

If Pope can display what Barnes did with Dallas, it will be hard to let him go, like you said there is a lot of work to be done, and someone needs to be moved even though we might regret it.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I already tried the admonishing thing and it doesn't work because they have a friend on the LG staff.

Think of this the next time you become flabbergasted...

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

If Magic/Pelinka can pull off

Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
PG13/Ingram
SG/J.Hart
Ball/Ennis

Using Clarkson+Future draft picks+1 of Kuz/Nance and 1 of T.Bryant/Zu to dump Deng and resigning Lopez to the room exception

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: