5 Laker players with the most to prove in 2017-18
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Laker player has the most to prove this season?
Zubac
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Randle
55%
 55%  [ 54 ]
KCP
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Ingram
21%
 21%  [ 21 ]
Ball
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 97

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: 5 Laker players with the most to prove in 2017-18

Agree, disagree, add comments, reasons or your own list.

Quote:
if the Lakers are going to come anywhere near making fans happy in 2017-18, they’re going to need some players to step up. Help from everyone will be appreciated, but several playmakers will be asked to bear more of the burden than others.

Ball
Julius
Ingram
KCP
Zubac

https://hoopshabit.com/2017/08/03/los-angeles-lakers-5-players-prove-2017-18/
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Probably Randle because if he doesn't he gets shipped out or does not get resigned
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Probably Randle because if he doesn't he gets shipped out or does not get resigned

No doubt that JR is in a hot-seat.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Although KCP has a lot to prove too. If he doesn't play well he wont get that big contract he wants so badly.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Laker players with the most to prove in 2017-18

pio2u wrote:

Agree, disagree, add comments, reasons or your own list.

Quote:
if the Lakers are going to come anywhere near making fans happy in 2017-18, they’re going to need some players to step up. Help from everyone will be appreciated, but several playmakers will be asked to bear more of the burden than others.

Ball
Julius
Ingram
KCP
Zubac

https://hoopshabit.com/2017/08/03/los-angeles-lakers-5-players-prove-2017-18/

Randle - this year determines if he stays or goes and how much he makes,
TylersLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I said Ingram, because he's looked at as the go-to guy on this team.

However, contractually wise and all that other sort of stuff, it would be Randle.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Big Picture - probably Ingram. Randle is a nice-to-have if he wants to make a case for sticking around. Ingram has further to go and the FO is banking on him getting there. Ball is a rook. The rest of the players are filler to be dumped for a double Max.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I would say the 3 contract year players... Randle, KCP and Lopez
Then the 2 annointed heirs... Ball and BI
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
defense wrote:

No doubt that JR is in a hot-seat.
JC... JR will be a max player...
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Randle.. no doubt
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

I took my degrees at UCLA in Economics waayyy back when Armen Alchian was still teaching the basic Microeconomics class (price theory, market theory.) Something he said stuck with me then, and it jumps out strongly every time some fan tries to measure one guy's motivations relative to those of others:

"You can't compare one man's utils to another."

For Alchian, a util was a unit of value in some good or service or status that we are will to pricea certain way, to gain one unit of personal utility.

The reality is everyone sets their own price for utility (which in this case is "playing well). We are unaware of their goals and there are unanticipated consequences from that on essentially, well, everything. We as fans like to think we are well-placed to measure the comparative goals of sports figures in terms of their having something to prove (to us), but we are just kidding ourselves. We don't appreciate how their money, their familial needs and wants, their desire to play or live here or elsewhere or with other people, and their basic personal satisfaction blend together into motivation for them. We have no idea what really motivates or satisfies another guy.

We kid ourselves all the time about a player having something to prove, but it's a concept based on the assumption that every player wants the same thing - bzzzzt, which a poor one.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

who's got something to prove combined with Lakers valuation
1. Randle - final year of a rookie contract. Like that article said, it's not certain Magic's bought into his wildly inconsistent play or lack of effort, the long periods of no defense, or the immaturity. Since he's already been trade bait, that's pretty telling in itself. Barring a breakout season that clearly puts him considerably in front of Nance and/or Kuz, there's probably a 90% chance he's not playing for LAL next year - they're not going to spend big money when they can get 85% of his production at 10% of the cost of JR on a new contract.
[big gap]
6. Ingram - his second year, he's expected to make a major step, and there is the pressure to prove he's the guy they can build a team around as Magic has said.
7. Ball - he's a rookie, but there are unrealistically high expectations on him, so in the eyes of fans there is a lot of pressure for him to perform. It's a given he's going to be inconsistent too, and even after summer league there still serious questions about his game translating. in the real world though, he's still a rookie and should be given time to prove himself
[another gap]
10. Zu - there's going to be a lot of pressure on him also, and there's future value to prove whether he's a long term option. But, he's also a 2nd round pick on a limited contract
11. KCP - he's currently targeted as a 1 year rental, so he's got a lot to prove to earn a contract with another team - but LAL isn't really invested in him
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

The clock is on Randle, there is no other player in the same situation.

JC has his contract, he can be traded and still earn his money.

Ingram is a second year player under his rookie deal, worst case scenario is losing his untouchable tag, but he still has a few seasons to prove himself and he has improved every month this year.

KCP was crazy enough to pass on a 80/4 offer, he is a one year rental without any chance to be kept unless he turns himself into a prime Wade.

Ball is a rookie and he is going to be great, I'm pretty confident about him and he will keep his status for some time even without a great rookie season.

My boy Zubac is a second round pick that is still under contract for 2 more seasons. I he won't fit he will get moved and still have a long and productive NBA career.

We traded a talented young player that was a high lottery pick for cap space, there is no way we are going to let this space go to resign a player if he is not performing at a superstar level, so KCP, Randle and Lopez have one season to prove they can play like an upper echelon superstar like LeBron/Westbrook or they are all gone.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I took my degrees at UCLA in Economics waayyy back when Armen Alchian was still teaching the basic Microeconomics class (price theory, market theory.) Something he said stuck with me then, and it jumps out strongly every time some fan tries to measure one guy's motivations relative to those of others:

"You can't compare one man's utils to another."

For Alchian, a util was a unit of value in some good or service or status that we are will to pricea certain way, to gain one unit of personal utility.

The reality is everyone sets their own price for utility (which in this case is "playing well). We are unaware of their goals and there are unanticipated consequences from that on essentially, well, everything. We as fans like to think we are well-placed to measure the comparative goals of sports figures in terms of their having something to prove (to us), but we are just kidding ourselves. We don't appreciate how their money, their familial needs and wants, their desire to play or live here or elsewhere or with other people, and their basic personal satisfaction blend together into motivation for them. We have no idea what really motivates or satisfies another guy.

We kid ourselves all the time about a player having something to prove, but it's a concept based on the assumption that every player wants the same thing - bzzzzt, which a poor one.

That's true ....... but who ya got?
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

There's a few dark horses out there, Carusso and Vander Blue. For Blue this is it for him. He needs to show this training camp that he is an NBA caliber player, if he doesn't play well it's safe to say he will go down as one of the D/G League All time greats.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Big Picture - probably Ingram. Randle is a nice-to-have if he wants to make a case for sticking around. Ingram has further to go and the FO is banking on him getting there. Ball is a rook. The rest of the players are filler to be dumped for a double Max.

Yea I was going to go JR but this is right. Ingram making big strides could open the door to the stars aligning. Sure guys see the upside in playing with Lonzo but Ingram could be a budding star that covers a lot of ills on both sides of the ball.

So JR may have pressure, but someone is going to pay him to put up double doubles. Ingram has Magic talking 20 point averages and is expected to literally grow an NBA body, fix a jumper and be someone that makes PG and LBJ want to come play with to win a ring.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

This is definitely Ingram. The expectations being placed on him are lofty, so it'll be interesting to see (I've been on record as being lower than most on him). looking forward to hopefully being wrong!
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Randle at number 1, and Ingram at #2.

Randle needs to prove that he can develop the skills to fit in today's nba, and Ingram needs to prove that he's the player that we saw the last third of the season, not the first two thirds.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Not understanding the Randle pick as it pertains to our future. I don't think he's coming back regardless due to the Summer '18 plan, the only difference is if he plays well, he'll have more trade value.

For him personally, it's a big year to cash in next summer, sure.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Tough question. Randle has the most in my opinion because he needs to provide evidence through performance to legitimize him being here. Lonzo is being looked at as the face of this franchise and his dad has hyped him up to all of sports media and he has a lot of pressure on him to live up to those. Ingram needs to prove himself that he can perform at a 20 ppg average.

1. Randle - perform or get rid of him
2. Lonzo - prove you can be the man
3. Ingram- score please
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

In no particular order..

Randle, Ball, Ingram, Zubac, Bryant
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Not understanding the Randle pick as it pertains to our future. I don't think he's coming back regardless due to the Summer '18 plan, the only difference is if he plays well, he'll have more trade value.

For him personally, it's a big year to cash in next summer, sure.

Agreed. I voted for him because he's in a contract year and has the most to gain, but ultimately it matters very little to the Lakers in the long run. Maybe JC? The team is desperately going to need guards in 2018.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Ball will have a target in his back compliments of LaVar. Ingram has pressure to excel due to FO expectations; obviously Randle for monetary reasons. The others need to step up but aren't as important to the team as Ball, Ingram or Randle therefore may not be scrutinized as hard.

IMO all three (Ball, BI, JR) will embrace their challenges and make noteworthy improvements in their overall game while having a positive impact on the teams success. The lights will shine a little brighter in LA this season. That in itself is Pressure!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Interesting that no one is voting KCP, when he's the biggest unknown

I agree with the consensus tho and voted similarly. But just pointing this out
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Interesting that no one is voting KCP, when he's the biggest unknown

I agree with the consensus tho and voted similarly. But just pointing this out

If he can prove he's a $20+ mill year a player, then yes. I don't think there's any way he sways us away from Lebron, but maybe as an alternative to George at $30m, which isn't that hot in itself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: