5 Laker players with the most to prove in 2017-18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Laker player has the most to prove this season?
Zubac
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Randle
55%
 55%  [ 54 ]
KCP
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Ingram
21%
 21%  [ 21 ]
Ball
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 97

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Interesting that no one is voting KCP, when he's the biggest unknown

I agree with the consensus tho and voted similarly. But just pointing this out

Noticed that too.
IMO KCP and Lopez have a lot to prove because of their huge contracts. The last thing we need is another Mozgov/ Deng debacle.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

I initially thought about it as a no brainier and went to enter Randle, but then realized the question didn't state who said player was proving their talents to. If the player just has to prove themselves to us, then Randle is an easy answer. But if they are proving themselves to us, the rest of the NBA, & possibly the rest of the world, then the answer is easily Ball.

So my choice was Ball. Randle just has to prove he can play a higher level of basketball to us, an maybe a few other teams who might want to sign him. That's it. No one in China is ever going to care who the heck Randle is. The Celtics aren't losing sleep that they selected Smart over Randle and probably never will. The Celtics will be hurt for years to come if Ball becomes a transcendent superstar and they passed up on him. Ball has so much to prove. He comes into the league with just about the same hype Lebron did in 2003. It's hard to live up to. People will be watching every night to see if the kid fails or succeeds.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I initially thought about it as a no brainier and went to enter Randle, but then realized the question didn't state who said player was proving their talents to. If the player just has to prove themselves to us, then Randle is an easy answer. But if they are proving themselves to us, the rest of the NBA, & possibly the rest of the world, then the answer is easily Ball.

So my choice was Ball. Randle just has to prove he can play a higher level of basketball to us, an maybe a few other teams who might want to sign him. That's it. No one in China is ever going to care who the heck Randle is. The Celtics aren't losing sleep that they selected Smart over Randle and probably never will. The Celtics will be hurt for years to come if Ball becomes a transcendent superstar and they passed up on him. Ball has so much to prove. He comes into the league with just about the same hype Lebron did in 2003. It's hard to live up to. People will be watching every night to see if the kid fails or succeeds.

The article suggests fans expectations ("Fans everywhere are lining up to see what type of damage they can do, which has heaped some overwhelming expectations on this rebuilding squad."). So in that respect you hit the nail on the head selecting Ball because he will have tremendous pressure due to future expectations. On the other hand he should have many more seasons to prove himself.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:

probably should have added Vander Blue to the list.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Noticed that too.
IMO KCP and Lopez have a lot to prove because of their huge contracts. The last thing we need is another Mozgov/ Deng debacle.

If they show up - they're gone. If they crater - they're gone. What's to prove?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Noticed that too.

If they show up - they're gone. If they crater - they're gone. What's to prove?

They are basically auditioning for their next NBA contract; for better or worse, possibly here or elsewhere.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

It's Julius for sure.

Brandon will be given the benefit of the doubt no matter how he plays unless he just plays utterly terrible.

KCP nobody expects to be back next year if we go for 2 stars. Although from his individual perspective it is huge cuz he's playing for his next K.

Ball is a rook. He'll get the benefit of the doubt.

Everyone can be moved or is a rook and there is no pressure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

If Ball struggles out of the box, some people who expect him to be an instant Hall of Famer will be disappointed; but most people will give him a couple of years. It's not like his career will come crashing down if he's not playing like an MVP by game 15.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

JR easily #1. But BI is an easy 2nd IMO because I could see LBJ trying to give him the Wiggins treatment as a contingency to sign with the team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
JR easily #1. But BI is an easy 2nd IMO because I could see LBJ trying to give him the Wiggins treatment as a contingency to sign with the team.

I'm sure he would unless Ingram has a big second season.

In retrospect, I can't say the Cavs dealing Wiggins was a bad move. The guy has great athleticism, but shoots poorly, makes poor decisions, and (most surprising of all) plays poor defense. Now the Twolves have the fun of signing him to a max contract only after the owner meets with him to tell him he has to be much better than he's been so far to earn the money.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Everyone will be waiting to see if Ingram blossoms into a scoring leader. He was after all the one guy that everyone was labeling as "untouchable."
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Everyone will be waiting to see if Ingram blossoms into a scoring leader. He was after all the one guy that everyone was labeling as "untouchable."

You got that right. Only time will tell; We shall see .

I look for Lopez to probably be the scoring leader but I expect BI to be very much improved (Randle & Clarkson too).
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

[quote="greenfrog"]
Chronicle wrote:

If he can prove he's a $20+ mill year a player, then yes. I don't think there's any way he sways us away from Lebron, but maybe as an alternative to George at $30m, which isn't that hot in itself.[/quote

How much does Randle need to do to get a $20 million contract offer? 18 and 10 or 20 and 10. I think withat he needs to show he can be the deciding factor in several wins.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

If he can prove he's a $20+ mill year a player, then yes. I don't think there's any way he sways us away from Lebron, but maybe as an alternative to George at $30m, which isn't that hot in itself.

How much does Randle need to do to get a $20 million contract offer? 18 and 10 or 20 and 10. I think withat he needs to show he can be the deciding factor in several wins.

From us? I'd say nothing short of an All-Star appearance, and even then it might be iffy. We just have better options, and needs that don't align with another power forward. A small market team desperate to make a free agent splash I think is his best bet for a monster payday.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Ball. He definitely needs to prove belongs.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Laker players with the most to prove in 2017-18

pio2u wrote:
5 Laker players with the most to prove in 2017-18

Agree, disagree, add comments, reasons or your own list.

Quote:
if the Lakers are going to come anywhere near making fans happy in 2017-18, they’re going to need some players to step up. Help from everyone will be appreciated, but several playmakers will be asked to bear more of the burden than others.

Ball
Julius
Ingram
KCP
Zubac

https://hoopshabit.com/2017/08/03/los-angeles-lakers-5-players-prove-2017-18/

It depends on whose expectations the question is based on.

If its the fans, then probably Randle, even though he is the most proven out of everyone on the list.

My take, I think Ball and Ingram, our two most unproven guys (whom I love very much and hope they have a long future here). The simple answer is they simply have the most to prove since they are the least experienced. The better answer is that they are our most hyped up young guys and they have the ability to disappoint the FO and fanbase the most if they don't turn out as expected. Again, the question is dependent on expectations.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I take this to mean who's on the biggest bubble;

So it's

Randle
Clarkson
Luke, the team has to be competitive this year
Ingram somewhat, cause he can't take a step back or even stay pat, everyone expects him to improve.
....in that order
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
h2omike wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

If he can prove he's a $20+ mill year a player, then yes. I don't think there's any way he sways us away from Lebron, but maybe as an alternative to George at $30m, which isn't that hot in itself.

From us? I'd say nothing short of an All-Star appearance, and even then it might be iffy. We just have better options, and needs that don't align with another power forward. A small market team desperate to make a free agent splash I think is his best bet for a monster payday.

Jules is a player we can resign after we max our cap space with other players.

That's valuable. Assuming we don't punt we're going to max our space next summer right? In that regard we'll have a lot of trouble adding talent besides the min or a cap exception.

There are a lot more scenarios where keeping Jules is a better option than getting rid of him.

This is all so difficult to predict though, there are so many contingencies.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
h2omike wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Jules is a player we can resign after we max our cap space with other players.

That's valuable. Assuming we don't punt we're going to max our space next summer right? In that regard we'll have a lot of trouble adding talent besides the min or a cap exception.

There are a lot more scenarios where keeping Jules is a better option than getting rid of him.

This is all so difficult to predict though, there are so many contingencies.

You mean a one max strategy? That's what not renouncing him means.

He'd have to ball out as well as George or Cousins I think for Lebron to be OK with that.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Lebron needs to stay the hell away

we can get TWO maxes PLUS randle if those maxes aren't lebron, because his max is so much higher than the other players' max

Or we can get one max and keep pretty much the entire team together, which sounds great to me
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Ball. He definitely needs to prove belongs.

All the rookies need to show they can play in the NBA.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

we can get TWO maxes PLUS randle if those maxes aren't lebron, because his max is so much higher than the other players' max

Or we can get one max and keep pretty much the entire team together, which sounds great to me

Except does anyone really want to come with only one Allstar player aboard? You're back to basically Mitch and Jim presenting a video of Toby Mcquire in a unitard then, although I will concede the lure of playing with a sophomore Lonzo would definitely trump anything we had going 3 or 4 years ago.

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

In this case, is Julius better than Lopez and KCP?

Another point, we have Nance, Kuzma, Deng, possibly Ingram and one of the max players able to play 4 while we don't have the same depth at SG and C positions.

I believe we are not going to see Julius in our roster next season unless he proves he is one of the two max players of the master plan and that would be great because everybody like Julius as a person.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

Yes, Randle is better than Lopez going forward, KCP doesn't matter since we don't have rights on him. And Randle is center depth. If we have Deng then we will be extremely limited in free agency.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

That would make Mozgov's deal look so strange. We sent away a 2nd pick to save money to end up using it to sign a 7th pick that we could have signed keeping the 2nd pick that was a better prospect.

The front office would look really dumb.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: