Byron Scott says he has retired from coaching
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Byron Scott says he has retired from coaching

I doubt he has a choice

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/04/byron-scott-says-he-has-retired-from-coaching/

Quote:
Byron Scott says he has retired from coaching

Shortly after the Lakers fired him last year, Byron Scott – who had been an NBA head coach 15 of the previous 16 seasons – said he wanted to coach again.

Nobody hired him last year. It appears there will be no openings this year.

Is there any chance Scott will coach again?

Scott, via TMZ:

No.

I’ve had enough it.

I’m enjoying the retired life and working at ESPN. I love that, and I’m going to continue to do that.

I’m generally skeptical of answers in these ambush interviews, but Scott patiently explains his rationale. These appear to be the same answers he’d give in a more traditional setting.

I’m not sure Scott decided to retire as much as the NBA decided for him. New Orleans, Cleveland and Los Angeles all fired him after losing most of their games with him in charge. Only two coaches in NBA history – Gene Shue and Dick Motta – had losing records in three straight jobs then got another.

Scott looked more impressive early in his coaching career. He partnered with Jason Kidd to guide the New Jersey Nets to back-to-back Finals. Then, Scott helped launch Chris Paul‘s career in New Orleans.

But it seemed the game passed him by. He infamously established himself as an old-school thinker who found no use for analytics or communicating with young players.

Scott talked a big game, especially when he got a chance with his beloved Lakers. Unfortunately for Scott, his biggest fan in management – Magic Johnson – now runs those same Lakers. Scott can’t go back there to coach, not how his tenure in Los Angeles ended. I’m not sure anyone else would hire him as a coach, either.

So, good for Scott that he’s enjoying retirement.

]
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

Not surprised. I think we all knew that was the last chapter of his career. He wasn't just bad but he stunk up the house and dragged his feet on the way out. Not a good look for future employers. He has no one to blame but himself.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

Felt like he was retired while he was still coaching us.

Disappointed too because I really had faith when he started that he would bring in a good Laker tradition to the youth.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

There is no doubt that Byron is a horrible coach, but maybe he was right with the D'Angelo situation and we were too ignorant to realize it because he was a bad coach.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

and I was this close to hiring him too
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

30 teams made that decision for him by not wanting to get anywhere near him. He didn't retire, he just can't get the employment he wants.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
30 teams made that decision for him by not wanting to get anywhere near him. He didn't retire, he just can't get the employment he wants.
qft
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

I feel quasi-bad that reading the headline made me laugh. lol
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

lol, retired...
more like banned
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

Im sure a team will need the services of the in the future.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

Teams need to bring him on to consult for the last 30 or 40 games of a tank season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

that's why you not coaching
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

Another thing...I hope someday soon places like ESPN will stop hiring old NBAers to provide commentary or insight on a game that has passed them by. Increasingly annoying to listen to.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Another thing...I hope someday soon places like ESPN will stop hiring old NBAers to provide commentary or insight on a game that has passed them by. Increasingly annoying to listen to.

!!!!THIS! Thank you!
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

Those 2 goofball Mike's we canned found success after their respective Laker head coaching demise, why can't​ Commander Scott?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Thats like most of us saying we are retired from modeling.
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I remember back when ESPN/ABC had just acquired the NBA rights, ESPN had a team of Kevin Frazier (when he still did sports) and Tim Hardaway. During the halftime of a Laker game where they were getting shellacked (might have been the Dallas game where they made that huge comeback), Frazier asked Hardaway for his analysis and all he could say was "Oh my God" for what practically felt like minutes. It was like his brain was stuck on repeat. Frazier had this WTF face throughout the whole segment and tried to get anything out of Hardaway, but gave up after a bit. Hardaway was soon out at ESPN.

Those initial years were brutal. It still is to an extent, but not as bad as it was at the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

Moises wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I remember back when ESPN/ABC had just acquired the NBA rights, ESPN had a team of Kevin Frazier (when he still did sports) and Tim Hardaway. During the halftime of a Laker game where they were getting shellacked (might have been the Dallas game where they made that huge comeback), Frazier asked Hardaway for his analysis and all he could say was "Oh my God" for what practically felt like minutes. It was like his brain was stuck on repeat. Frazier had this what the heck face throughout the whole segment and tried to get anything out of Hardaway, but gave up after a bit. Hardaway was soon out at ESPN.

Those initial years were brutal. It still is to an extent, but not as bad as it was at the beginning.

Worse than Pippen's short lived attempt as an analyst for ESPN/ABC? I still have nightmares about that despite his HOF prestige dude was a incoherent bore.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

Moises wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I remember back when ESPN/ABC had just acquired the NBA rights, ESPN had a team of Kevin Frazier (when he still did sports) and Tim Hardaway. During the halftime of a Laker game where they were getting shellacked (might have been the Dallas game where they made that huge comeback), Frazier asked Hardaway for his analysis and all he could say was "Oh my God" for what practically felt like minutes. It was like his brain was stuck on repeat. Frazier had this what the heck face throughout the whole segment and tried to get anything out of Hardaway, but gave up after a bit. Hardaway was soon out at ESPN.

I liked Kevin Frazier I mean I do see him on the Entertainment shows at times(its what's on when I workout at my gym) but I miss him in the sports realm.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

Byron has a long list of coaching accomplishments. Coached Kyrie, CP3, Jason Kidd, & Head of Snake. Put Russell & Lin in their respective places. Always had a clean towel for Kobe when he got too sweaty. Nice enough to make sure trash cans were close enough for the players to vomit in while doing suicides in practice. Paraded his new chick for everyone to see at Las Vegas Summer League after his divorce. It was him & not Kidd who lead the Nets to back to back Finals appearances. Back to Back worst seasons in Lakers history, ensuring two #2 picks. Made sure everyone always gave the ball to Kobe his final season. Successfully coached in Mamba Day (the first & only Mamba Day coach). The list goes on and on...
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Effective, when? Three years ago?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Byron was a legendary coach, nobody could ever tank like him.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Byron Scott has resigned from Coaching!

I also heard Nixon resigned as President. Who knew?
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

At the end of the day, Byron, you did the lakers a solid. You may not have intended to, but coaching like (bleep) led to a lot of number 2s. Salut!
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: