Byron Scott says he has retired from coaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

No more Jim/Mitch left so he had to retire
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:

Was he a Jim/Mitch hire? Reeks of Jeanie actually.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.

That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Another thing...I hope someday soon places like ESPN will stop hiring old NBAers to provide commentary or insight on a game that has passed them by. Increasingly annoying to listen to.

Truth
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

That's like saying I retired from golfing. If you're (bleep) at it to begin with, you can't even say you REALLY did it. Ain't no retirement for that.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

On what basis?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Because everything good is one party and everything bad is another party.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.

That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.

Byron was actually on that roster as a player

but I feel you, I never saw him play so I can't help but see him as a coach. Although, I don't feel any hatred towards him anymore. Once a Lakers legend, always a Lakers legend.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

but I feel you, I never saw him play so I can't help but see him as a coach. Although, I don't feel any hatred towards him anymore. Once a Lakers legend, always a Lakers legend.

haha I know he was in that game... but I don't remember him in that game lol
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Bye Felicia.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

Oh boo hoo. Whether you saw him or not you're old enough to understand his impact and import to the franchise as a player.

Or just keep beating a dead horse, whatever floats your boat.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Another thing...I hope someday soon places like ESPN will stop hiring old NBAers to provide commentary or insight on a game that has passed them by. Increasingly annoying to listen to.

Truth

People love to see a familiar face. Basically the whole reason Byron was hired.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott didn't retire from coaching. Coaching retired from Byron Scott.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

On what basis?

On the basis that he is an ex-Laker and the fact Mitch/Jim interviewed him 3 times which I believe is unusual.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

I thought I read where Byron told Mitch and Jimbo to sign MozGoof and Dang,

Might as well blame that on him too...
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

On what basis?

On the basis that he is an ex-Laker and the fact Mitch/Jim interviewed him 3 times which I believe is unusual.

tells me more about those 2 guys then it tells me anything about jeanie.

but hey, please continue the jeanie hate
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

On what basis?

tells me more about those 2 guys then it tells me anything about jeanie.

but hey, please continue the jeanie hate

I don't hate Jeanie. I like Jeanie. She's a true Laker fan at heart.

But she makes decisions out of emotion which I don't think makes for a great leader.

I dont really know who was the driving force behind Byron. They're all culpable IMO.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

There were plenty of reports during the coaching search that all three of them were making the hiring decision together.

But lets not get distracted from what a horrible coach Byron was.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:

Effin right on, Fletcha. Exactly what I was gonna post about. I was about to say, "Where's yinoma to tell us to move on while citing the mod's sticky about negativity?"
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

His last game ever was the single win LA got vs Utah in 97 and 98. Most people remember those series as both sweeps. He had a good performance to boot. Fell on his wrist and that was the end.

And as bad as his coaching daze went with us, he didn't have Lonzo Ball or this FO. He had a guy in Zo's place who time will prove wasn't mature enough to have as much responsibility and expectations as he did here. That was a recipe for failure even for Walton whom we don't complain about. Oddly enough, it was the opposite for Luke. Much of the reactionary, youngns at LG called him Puke as a player and now they like him. Reverse for Byron. I feel bad for By. Wish he never got the gig in hindsight.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

Oh boo hoo. Whether you saw him or not you're old enough to understand his impact and import to the franchise as a player.

Or just keep beating a dead horse, whatever floats your boat.

Should you really be the one saying boo hoo following that plea to leave him alone. He's a terrible coach and some fans will only remember him as such. You need to let it go.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

Sort of the way a guy with the barest history of success retires from anything; when you can't find work in your industry, the workplace has retired you.

He's wealthy enough to try the lecture circuit, youth development programs, community outreach activities. Or golf.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

His last game ever was the single win LA got vs Utah in 97 and 98. Most people remember those series as both sweeps. He had a good performance to boot. Fell on his wrist and that was the end.

And as bad as his coaching daze went with us, he didn't have Lonzo Ball or this FO. He had a guy in Zo's place who time will prove wasn't mature enough to have as much responsibility and expectations as he did here. That was a recipe for failure even for Walton whom we don't complain about. Oddly enough, it was the opposite for Luke. Much of the reactionary, youngns at LG called him Puke as a player and now they like him. Reverse for Byron. I feel bad for By. Wish he never got the gig in hindsight.

None of the things you mentioned are the reasons why he was an awful coach, though. He was an awful coach because of his stubbornness, pride, hypocrisy, and lack of self awareness (which was an extension of his pride and stubbornness). It's pretty difficult to sympathize with a guy who chose, game after game, loss after loss, to trash his team by questioning their manhood and slapping them in their faces instead of reflecting on his own possible shortcomings as their own head coach.

I get that some of you have fond memories of him from the Showtime days, but some of us did not yet exist during the Showtime era. The only personal memories I have of him are from his two years of being a willfully horrible coach. He just sucked. It's that simple. That's why he ain't coaching.

Last edited by Judah on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

I respect that take, and if Byron hadn't been such a huge media critic who then jumped in as a coach and looked as bad as any coach I've ever seen, having neither a grasp of personnel nor x and o stuff, I'd share it too. And I'd be more sanguine if he wasn't still in magic's ear.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

He has millions of dollars and connections to the Lakers.... nobody shedding a tear for this mofo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: